Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 12-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #161
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Deft View Post
AES67

how much coal do your steam generators use to power all this?
Isn't that like AVB?

What audio interface could I buy right now that would sensibly integrate in AES67 right now? Will it come anywhere near RME's PCI drivers?

I see some insanely priced magical fairy dust audio over ethernet stuff, I even tried some of it and it was garbage. I really do think something like AES67 is the future, I just don't see widespread sensible integration of it yet, but if there is some, I will buy it and give it a try if its feasible
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:04 PM   #162
nait
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Does this mean the ryzen cpus wont support the pci slot?

Asus PRIME X370-A ATX AM4 Motherboard

AMD Ryzen™ Processors
Expansion slots
2 x PCI Express 3.0/2.0 x16 slots (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode)

AMD 7th Generation A-series/Athlon™ Processors 1 x PCI Express 3.0/2.0 x16 slot (single at x8)

AMD X370 chipset
1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot (max. at x4 mode)* 3 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 slots * PCIeX16_3 slot shares bandwidth with PCIeX1_1 and PCIeX1_3.
I'm trying to understand how you read that a PCI slot won't work for Ryzen CPUs from that info (that might sound like I'm being snarky, but I'm honestly not). The mobo you are looking has two of the regular/older PCI slots, plus you've got your PCIe slots for video card(s), and another PCI device. What did you need the PCI for, out of curiousity?

Edit: actually I see why you read it that way now. It's kind of confusing, actually, the way they wrote it. But I think they're just talking about the PCIe x16 lanes here as to what is available to the Ryzen chips and what is available to the Athalons (with the Athalon having the downgrade). Still though, I would probably suggest asking ASUS for clarification.

BTW, I saw your earlier post about the IDE burners. I have completely dumped burners from my system, but if you still need those, maybe grab a cheap conversion kit for IDE to SATA? That, or throw it in a USB drive kit.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 12-21-2020 at 01:39 PM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:56 PM   #163
Tone Deft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Isn't that like AVB?

What audio interface could I buy right now that would sensibly integrate in AES67 right now? Will it come anywhere near RME's PCI drivers?

I see some insanely priced magical fairy dust audio over ethernet stuff, I even tried some of it and it was garbage. I really do think something like AES67 is the future, I just don't see widespread sensible integration of it yet, but if there is some, I will buy it and give it a try if its feasible
google for some products. stuff I've done is in professional installations, long throw speaker distribution. AES67 was standardized a years ago.

what problem are you trying to solve? chasing shiny new stuff?
Tone Deft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 02:15 PM   #164
Coachz

Might have a good MB to use with my PCI RME 9652

Asus PRIME B460-PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard

Intel Core i9-10900 @ 2.80GHz on the Asus PRIME B460-PLUS ATX

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:51 PM   #165
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
google for some products. stuff I've done is in professional installations, long throw speaker distribution. AES67 was standardized a years ago.

what problem are you trying to solve? chasing shiny new stuff?
If it was on google I wouldn't have asked.

I couldn't find anything AES67 to compare with RME PCI gear. If you know of something, please let me know.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #166
Tone Deft

Quote:
If it was on google I wouldn't have asked.

I couldn't find anything AES67 to compare with RME PCI gear. If you know of something, please let me know.
a few pop up in this search
https://www.google.com/search?client...es67+interface

you guys have the money to chase new tech, hup hup.

reference boards can be purchased here:
https://www.xilinx.com/applications/...o-over-ip.html
Old 12-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #167
pipelineaudio
Mortal

That's just showing Dante stuff, which is in no way even in the same universe of performance as the 9652.

The low latency stability is garbage, cost per channel is in smoking crack land and the round trip latency is pathetic
Old 12-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #168
Tone Deft

Quote:
That's just showing Dante stuff, which is in no way even in the same universe of performance as the 9652.

The low latency stability is garbage, cost per channel is in smoking crack land and the round trip latency is pathetic
says the guy with zero experience or understanding. you have your opinions.

so much for helping people pick out a new computer. all I see are people taking and taking and taking and asking for more.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:40 AM   #169
Coachz

Quote:

so much for helping people pick out a new computer. all I see are people taking and taking and taking and asking for more.
Gimmie more !!!!! You are Very helpful but not everyone is on the same level as you so please don't assume that we are. We all know different things and that's why we're all here to help each other. Relax and enjoy the ride and if you don't feel you're being appreciated don't help

Coachz Repo

Last edited by Coachz; 12-22-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:46 AM   #170
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:

You mean the guy who guinea pigged this Dante stuff for the REAPER forum early on?

That guy?

The guy who had the Dante experts on his show to talk about and explain why it could never compare to a, for example, 9652 in terms of performance?

That guy?

Please tell me more about that guy
Old 12-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #171
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Here is a chart put together by me, this guy "with no experience", that compares many audio interfaces with both virtual dante and hardware proprietary super expensive, dongle on a chip for no reason except to add latency and degrade performance, dante.

https://kailuamusicschool.com/tech/r...tency-roundup/

You'll see even the hardware version of dante can't compete with even RME USB stuff, which is a billion times the functionality for a fraction of the price, nevermind the RME PCI stuff.

I showed you mine, without insulting you once, let's see yours
Old 12-22-2020, 11:13 AM   #172
nait

That's a really impressive chart, Pipeline.

This thread is getting off the rails. I don't think anyone here should be insulting the intelligence/knowledge of people they do not know. That isn't helpful at all, is quite immature and is unnecessary.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #173
Tone Deft

I would be curious to price out a build based on Intel vs AMD. I don't think AMD's release is fully rolled out yet (BIOS updates, new chipsets on the horizon AFTER the uP is rolled out) but I feel like there's some substantial cost savings to be had for no hit in performance. Intel is looking like the more aggressive company with larger teams and bigger budgets (obvious, I know.)

I do find it amusing that these high end PCs are being obsessed over for a $60 software package. it's for audio so it's beautiful.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:06 PM   #174
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Finally an apples to apples chance to compare

Blown away on this 10700K build. On my 6770K this was 80% CPU and around 40% RT-CPU
Now under 10% CPU and diddly for RT-CPU
Thanks to Jim Roseberry big time!
Old 12-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #175
gvdv

There are some very good reddits which can help to answer your question(s), such as:
r/buildapc
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

r/buildapcforme
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcforme/

r/reaper
https://www.reddit.com/r/Reaper/

which can provide some good information, and on which people can post suggested builds (which they have mostly done on pcpartpicker, based on your requirements)

Pcpartpicker is also a good site in itself
https://pcpartpicker.com/
gvdv is offline   Reply With Quote