Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-02-2021, 05:07 AM   #1
AlistairBurton
Human being with feelings

Default Gradual change of tempo interrupted by change of time signature

I was wondering if there was some way of having a gradual change between tempo markers with time signature markers in between? Reaper doesn't seem to recognise that the next tempo marker after the first one is on the other side of all the time signature markers. I can always just put the time signatures in and draw a freehand straight line between the outer tempo boundaries if there isn't a better solution.
AlistairBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:50 AM   #2
bolgwrad

If you 'View-Show Tempo Envelope', you can set the start envelope point to 'linear' and everywhere you add an envelope point between start and end, you'll see the a time signature marker. (Edit: set all the points to linear if not your default setting)
Old 01-03-2021, 09:33 AM   #3
AlistairBurton

It doesn't seem to be possible to set the time signature markers to linear instead of square.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #4
lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlistairBurton View Post
It doesn't seem to be possible to set the time signature markers to linear instead of square.
It works here. Right-click on the envelope point, and go to "Set point shape". There is a choice of linear or square.

My observation is that inserting a TS marker between two existing tempo markers will to nullify the effect of "Gradually transition tempo to next marker" if the TS marker has the "Set tempo" box unchecked.

If I leave the "Set tempo" box checked when inserting a TS marker between two existing tempo markers, then the TS marker picks up the correct intermediate tempo, and the linear ramp between the two existing tempo markers remains as it was before the TS marker was inserted.

It looks to me like if you try to add a tempo ramp by inserting tempo markers on either side of an existing TS marker, then you have to re-do the TS marker so that it picks up the correct tempo and doesn't break the linear ramp.

Last edited by lunker; 01-03-2021 at 10:00 AM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
jrk

If you set the marker to be tempo as well as time sig you should be able to do it.
Show the tempo envelope so that you can tweak by eye to preserve the slope? Or not?
Old 01-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #6
AlistairBurton

Default Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
It works here. Right-click on the envelope point, and go to "Set point shape". There is a choice of linear or square.

My observation is that inserting a TS marker between two existing tempo markers will to nullify the effect of "Gradually transition tempo to next marker" if the TS marker has the "Set tempo" box unchecked.

If I leave the "Set tempo" box checked when inserting a TS marker between two existing tempo markers, then the TS marker picks up the correct intermediate tempo, and the linear ramp between the two existing tempo markers remains as it was before the TS marker was inserted.

It looks to me like if you try to add a tempo ramp by inserting tempo markers on either side of an existing TS marker, then you have to re-do the TS marker so that it picks up the correct tempo and doesn't break the linear ramp.
Thanks, that seems to work well. I'll just delete the time signatures and put them in again, having set the two outer tempo marks.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #7
bolgwrad

The clever part is that the click source obeys the envelope.

Last edited by bolgwrad; 07-25-2021 at 02:13 PM.
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote