Old 10-04-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
blueduck
Human being with feelings

Default media item adjustments

How do I show the media item volume adjustment bar or knob? There is a title bar above the media item, with access to the dialog, but no volume control bar or knob, or any other controls. I read the manual (sections 7.17, 22.6.2), which indicates that controls for media items should be somewhere near the item.
blueduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:16 AM   #2
solger

In general, have a look at the options under Preferences > Appearance > Media (chapter 22.6.1 Appearance Media).

There, you can change the Item volume control between the available [Handle] (top or center of item) and [Knob] options - by default the handle is positioned at the top edge of the item.
And toggle the visibility of a couple of other Media Item buttons on/off, as well.

In addition, here are some videos:

Last edited by solger; 10-04-2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: video links added
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
blueduck

Default no volume adjustment

Thanks for the reply. The "media item labels" preferences dialog box does not correspond with the "media item buttons" video. There is no "adjust media item volume by dragging" option in the dialog box. The dragging works, but only to reduce volume (dragging from the top down), not raise it (e.g., not bottom-up drag option).

I'm trying to be able to adjust media item volume easily. The item properties dialog box is difficult to adjust: you can't just set a db level by typing it in, and the handle is too small and sensitive.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #4
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduck View Post
The dragging works, but only to reduce volume (dragging from the top down), not raise it (e.g., not bottom-up drag option).
Is it not shift+drag to increase? Or maybe ctrl+drag, something like that.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #5
blueduck

Default figured out

Finally figured it out. Select the option "handle is center of item". The undocumented aspect is that the Shift key is held down to active the volume control handle. No telling how the "knob" option works; that remains inscrutable.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
solger

As Fabian mentioned above: if using the 'Handle: +0db is top at item' option it's usually Shift + Drag to increase the volume.

Quote:
No telling how the "knob" option works; that remains inscrutable.
What exactly is inscrutable?

Using the Item volume control: [Knob] optíon displays a volume knob at the top left of the item (instead of the handle) which can be adjusted via dragging.

The handle/knob options, as well as the SHIFT key are mentioned and shown in chapter 7.17.1 The Item Volume Knob/Item Volume Handle.

Quote:
The "media item labels" preferences dialog box does not correspond with the "media item buttons" video. There is no "adjust media item volume by dragging" option in the dialog box.
As a general side note:

Keep in mind that an older Reaper 5.x version was used in some videos. So the three Item volume control (handle/knob) options in the current Reaper version are now named a little bit different.
That's why I also mentioned the chapter in the recent User Guide in post #2 (chapter 22.6.1 Appearance Media) where it shows a screenshot of the Appearance Media Preferences page in the current Reaper version.

Last edited by solger; 10-04-2019 at 02:29 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #7
blueduck

Default final opinion; thanks

Reaper is an awesome program, no two ways about it. One of the nice things about it is that is has oodles of options for advanced users, and mostly excellent defaults for newbies (such as myself, though the learning curve is being mounted). In my humble opinion, the option for item volume adjustment ought to be the handle in the center of the item. The top of item and knob are pretty much the same thing (the knob not being a knob, only a tiny circle which acts as a handle, which makes it inscrutable by misdirection of name at least), and are not intuitive.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.