Old 08-08-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Default v5.981+dev0808 - August 8 2019

v5.981+dev0808 - August 8 2019
  • + Notation editor: fix potential rounding issue when auto-detecting triplets [p=2166957]
  • + Ruler/Transport: allow choosing secondary display independent of primary
  • # Transport: fix display when using ruler time unit
    # fix stale TCP/MCP visible when removing auto-added tracks during item move
  • # item labels: fix incorrect label drawing
  • # meters: fix mouse click handling issues
  • # tcp meter: fix clicking menu positioning
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 08-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #2
musicbynumbers

+ Ruler/Transport: allow choosing secondary display independent of primary

thanks! that's great
Old 08-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
blumpy

A sceond ruler display is a great addition.
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Ruler/Transport: allow choosing secondary display independent of primary
Thanks so much for this option! Really brilliant.

Quick question regarding the secondary display being independent. If for example you select Measures:Beats as the main display and H:M:S:F as the secondary display, the timecode values seem to be tied to the measure numbers only.

Nothing wrong with this but doesn't seem to be independent in terms of display? I could be totally misunderstanding the intention as well.

Also, it seems measures:beats can only be a main display, not a secondary display, yes?
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #5
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Thanks so much for this option! Really brilliant.

Quick question regarding the secondary display being independent. If for example you select Measures:Beats as the main display and H:M:S:F as the secondary display, the timecode values seem to be tied to the measure numbers only.

Nothing wrong with this but doesn't seem to be independent in terms of display? I could be totally misunderstanding the intention as well.
Ideally, we would have an option to link and unlink the first and second display. So that every unit follows its own logical "grid".
Old 08-08-2019, 10:08 PM   #6
EvilDragon

Thanks for secondary ruler unit!

Maybe weird behavior: Let's say we set the primary unit to be measures.beats (minimal), and then we set secondary unit to minutes:seconds. I would expect both menu entries to have a checkmark, but only secondary unit gets the checkmark (and the old combined entry as well).

I'm trying to clean up the menus here, so I would remove the old combined entries (minimal and non-minimal one), so if this could work nicely so that both individual units get their checkmarks, that would be great.

Screenshot:

You can see two units being used in the ruler, but only secondary is checked...
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:57 AM   #7
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post

Maybe weird behavior: Let's say we set the primary unit to be measures.beats (minimal), and then we set secondary unit to minutes:seconds. I would expect both menu entries to have a checkmark, but only secondary unit gets the checkmark (and the old combined entry as well).

I'm trying to clean up the menus here, so I would remove the old combined entries (minimal and non-minimal one), so if this could work nicely so that both individual units get their checkmarks, that would be great.
You'll have to live with that. As you say, this combination causes the factory menu item "Measures.Beats (minimal) / Minutes:Seconds" to be checked, but you have removed it.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:24 AM   #8
EvilDragon

Can it make the individual two options checked alongside, perhaps, if it doesn't find the combined menu item option at all in the menu?
Old 08-09-2019, 05:57 AM   #9
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post

Screenshot:

You can see two units being used in the ruler, but only secondary is checked...
This is because if the action for "Measures.Beats (Minimal) / Minutes:Seconds" were visible, it would be checked. So if we checked "Measures.Beats" in this instance, you'd have two checkboxes, which is less than ideal. And there's no way to do context-specific checkmarks at this point.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:30 AM   #10
EvilDragon

Understood. So much about trimming down the menus

Here's another idea, though - any way to simply remove those combined menu entries at Reaper's core level and in case users already had them selected, replacing their selection with two individual primary+secondary unit checkboxes being checked?

(I think this could create problems with already customized menus, but...)
Old 08-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #11
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
[*]+ Ruler/Transport: allow choosing secondary display independent of primary
Mastering folks would love to see an option for region time display. I have a script made but it's clunky.

This would essentially simulate song/track time display in a mastering session.

We often need to see where say 2:03 is in a region which can be different than item time and is definitely not related to the main timeline (except for maybe the first song of a mastering project).

Last edited by MRMJP; 08-08-2019 at 01:24 PM.
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #12
Jonas Ekstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Mastering folks would love to see an option for region time display. I have a script made but it's clunky.

We often need to see where say 2:03 is in a region which can be different than item time and is definitely not related to the main timeline (except for maybe the first song of a mastering project).
I second this. Would be great.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #13
Nathannn

When changing themes the master track does this:

When resizing the docker it reverts back to normal

Nathannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #14
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathannn View Post
When changing themes the master track does this:

When resizing the docker it reverts back to normal

Thanks, fixing

Last edited by Justin; 08-08-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #15
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Ekstrom View Post
I second this. Would be great.
Of course this could get messy when there are overlapping regions which in mastering we use to define CD/album tracks and in mastering, the can't really be overlapping.

This is in part why a dedicated mastering mode would be needed in REAPER to do it right, otherwise it will always be a little messy and half baked.

Still, for those that never have overlapping regions, a way for the transport or some kind of big window to display the region time would be great.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #16
Jonas Ekstrom

Quote:
Of course this could get messy when there are overlapping regions which in mastering we use to define CD/album tracks and in mastering, the can't really be overlapping.

This is in part why a dedicated mastering mode would be needed in REAPER to do it right, otherwise it will always be a little messy and half baked.

Still, for those that never have overlapping regions, a way for the transport or some kind of big window to display the region time would be great.
True, how do you deal with that in your custom script?
One way could be using ”cd” track markers, like in Samplitude, ie track start, track end, pause etc.
I had one look at the cd markers in Reaper, too fiddly, never bothered again.
Or just a side by side display, i cant see three regions crossing in a typical mastering session?
Old 08-08-2019, 06:33 PM   #17
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Ekstrom View Post
True, how do you deal with that in your custom script?
One way could be using ”cd” track markers, like in Samplitude, ie track start, track end, pause etc.
I had one look at the cd markers in Reaper, too fiddly, never bothered again.
Or just a side by side display, i cant see three regions crossing in a typical mastering session?
I'm not sure. I never have overlapping regions in REAPER. I simply use regions to export the captured/processed audio and finish the process in WaveLab. As you say, way too fiddly in REAPER. If you're trying to save a buck maybe it's worth it to do in REAPER, but if you've got steady work to do, best to use another app to finish the process.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:52 AM   #18
schwa
Administrator

Quote:

This may be what your script does, but it would be (relatively) easy to create an empty item with item ruler, for each region. Rulers on the regions themselves are honestly not going to happen any time soon.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #19
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
This may be what your script does, but it would be (relatively) easy to create an empty item with item ruler, for each region. Rulers on the regions themselves are honestly not going to happen any time soon.
That would be cool if there would be a way to stick the track on the top of the arrange area next to the regions. Maybe it is easier to be done now that you are changing all the tracks drawing methods? Just guessing
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #20
mlprod

Quote:

I use X-rayms script for this, and it works great. What's clunky about it?
Old 08-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #21
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
You can (in recent +dev builds) open the Cmd+J jump window, then type 'r5 2:03' to jump to 2:03 in region ID 5.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #22
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
You can (in recent +dev builds) open the Cmd+J jump window, then type 'r5 2:03' to jump to 2:03 in region ID 5.
That is helpful, but I guess I meant more of a way to watch a region timer and listen at the same time.

The script I have for this is OK, it just doesn't always stay on top of the main REAPER window.

Anyway, this is really not on topic and not going to make or break my feelings about REAPER and mastering features

I do love it for the processing through my analog chain though. It's be best DAW out there for that.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:41 PM   #23
Mercado_Negro

Thanks for fixing these two!

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=18

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=24