COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 09-05-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
reykjavik
Human being with feelings

Default Tip from a new user

Im not a programmer or anything but I used Ninjam tonight for the first time and I thought it was amazing. I love it, it worked great and keep up the great work. However, I did have one problem:

Random people kept entering our "room" and jamming with me and my friend. What it essentially did was throw us all off and ruin our jam. Now I on't mind if someone comes in and jams with me, but I think I should have an option where all new channels default to mute. This way the new entering person can still jam, but I don't have to hear them. Im sur eit shoudln't be too hard to have an option in the preferences such as "Do not receive new channels/users" or something along those lines.

Just my two cents.
reykjavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:27 AM   #2
JAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by reykjavik
This way the new entering person can still jam, but I don't have to hear them.

wow...... lol
JAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:42 AM   #3
reykjavik

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAH
wow...... lol

What? if you were jamming with your band at a rehearsal studio and two people just walked in and plugged their guitars in and started fucking up your jam you'd be totally ok with that?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
cryptomail

Default couple notes

1) Most people are reasonable. Don't just get mad, communicate with them, and if anything, help them by telling them what key to play. (That wouldn't help me since I don't know sh*t about keys...I just do what heh "sounds kinda right")
2) The servers are public. You don't like it? Setup your own. See www.ninjam.com/download.php and set up your own servers.
3) Perhaps move to difft chan (port) if there are more ruiners than creators.
4) Have fun, it's what it's all about.
5) goto 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by reykjavik
What? if you were jamming with your band at a rehearsal studio and two people just walked in and plugged their guitars in and started fucking up your jam you'd be totally ok with that?

Last edited by cryptomail; 09-18-2006 at 04:04 PM. Reason: go to difft chan
cryptomail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
reykjavik

[QUOTE=cryptomail]1) Most people are reasonable. Don't just get mad, communicate with them, and if anything, help them by telling them what key to play. (That wouldn't help me since I don't know sh*t about keys...I just do what heh "sounds kinda right")
2) The servers are public. You don't like it? Setup your own. See www.ninjam.com/download.php and set up your own servers.

Wow, thanks! I didn't know you can set your own server up.... although I'm on DSL so I dont know if Ill have enough outbound, but its only 2 people so hopefully I will.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:30 AM   #6
edtlov

Default I am creating rooms for private jam sessions

I am creating rooms for private jam sessions at http://www.yourwebtown.com I am still working out the server part. I am not proficent at server installs and working with them.
this is how far i am from it. so would be great for some help.

Working with SSH access
I am using an app like putty the one for windows to access the ninjam program , but Iam not sure how to start the ninjam app and then access it with the client.
edtlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
evilleprachaun

Default Jammin with anyone

I have to say i like what crypto had to say,"its all about havin fun"i do understand how it could be frustrating at the same time.We should all remember when we all first started playin though,i think its better if we all help each other out instead of criticizin each other though.If someone does come on and ruins the jam you can turn there channel down on your end.Lets all get along and happy jammin people!!!
evilleprachaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:37 AM   #8
AndyMc

10. PRINT "Sheesh... people are not even happy with free these days. :P

I think ninjam being free is what makes it work. When people pay to play they get the power trip feeling and start assuming it gives them the right to dictate.
So rather than Pay to Play it becomes Pay to Dictate.

So when someone Plays for free and then wants there 2 Cents worth it can annoy others.

Don't think me harsh but its a bit rude to use something for the first time then come
in telling others how they should and shouldn't use and act on it.

If we start creating levels then remember, someone better than you would then want you to leave.
But as for people who come in, do not listen to music being played then blast out music thats is out of tempo and out of key, yes this can be annoying.
But as others said above, most you can sort by being polite and speaking to them.

If all else fails you can change servers.";

PRINT " ";

REM ### LOL Cryptomail you read one of my posts before? ###

GOTO 10

Last edited by AndyMc; 09-16-2007 at 08:07 AM.
AndyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:54 AM   #9
pljones

Not so much like a rehearsal studio, more like a public common. Everyone "has the right" just to turn up and jam. (I speak as one who is probably on both ends of this )

VERY LATE EDIT
I should qualify this. Even a "public common" has to be paid for and maintained. Remember that: whilst the test servers are open to all, they're only there because someone (Cuckos) pays for them. Private servers (e.g. NINBOT) rely on their owners to keep running them. Please don't piss these people off.

Last edited by pljones; 07-09-2008 at 10:10 AM.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #10
Alex18

true, I remember when i first started people were pretty mad at me and didn't want to help at all and then one day someone finally did and i wasn't off time, just that i didn't have asio drivers and it took that person about 10 minutes to explain to me what to do, wasn't hard at all
Alex18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
NIGHTCHILD

guess osme people dont know what a mute tab is
NIGHTCHILD is offline   Reply With Quote