Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-29-2022, 04:20 PM   #1
Zkk
Human being with feelings

Default Left pane missing in vst selection

Sooo..not sure why I decided to use this garbage again but I just wanted to try some vsts in my tablet so I dld reaper becuase itni stalls fast. Well...all by itself reaper decided to hide the left pane from the vst selection window meaning I can't select any vsts. There seems to be no option in the pane menu for this.any ideas one how to force this crap program to work properly and let me select some vsts? Thanks.

Last edited by Zkk; 03-29-2022 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Adding photo
Zkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:13 PM   #2
ErBird

Did you accidentally double-click the divider between the two panes?

That would cause the two panes to be stacked vertically instead of horizontally.

If the left pane is actually missing, post a screenshot. I've never heard of that happening, ever.
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:19 PM   #3
ErBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkk View Post
Sooo..not sure why I decided to use this garbage again
Not sure, but you should probably consider that the error is with the user (which seems likely in this case) before talking shit.
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:36 PM   #4
Frank Lee Scarlett

I had this exact same problem and got it sorted out. It definitely is user error. The solution is very simple.
Frank Lee Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:10 PM   #5
Zkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBird View Post
Not sure, but you should probably consider that the error is with the user (which seems likely in this case) before talking shit.
Lol typical troll dummy response,uneducated blocked.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:10 PM   #6
Zkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee Scarlett View Post
I had this exact same problem and got it sorted out. It definitely is user error. The solution is very simple.
Yet no solution given. Typical troll response. Dummy blocked.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:12 PM   #7
Zkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBird View Post
Did you accidentally double-click the divider between the two panes?

That would cause the two panes to be stacked vertically instead of horizontally.

If the left pane is actually missing, post a screenshot. I've never heard of that happening, ever.
Double click did not hide the pane that was the first thing I tried to fix the error unfortunately. Keep in mind I didn't click anything to cause this I was literally looking at the screen of my tablet and the left pane dissapeared.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:12 PM   #8
Frank Lee Scarlett

Good luck. LOL!
Old 03-29-2022, 06:15 PM   #9
Zkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee Scarlett View Post
Good luck. LOL!
Sorry folks I'm blocking all trolls and abusers who don't offer actual solutions.if you can't offer a solution,you don't have one.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:17 PM   #10
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
Sorry folks I'm blocking all trolls and abusers who don't offer actual solutions.if you can't offer a solution,you don't have one.
I thought you blocked me....Actually, I knew you didn't. Confused troll is confused. LOL. >

(There's a very simple solution to this USER-ERROR (Or in this case, LOSER-ERROR) problem. It literally takes 2 clicks. Have a good one.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:29 PM   #11
Zkk

Default Photo

Wow the board won't let me upload regular photos or screenshots...on par with reaper usability had to use a third party app to resize? Lmfao yes it's true it's 2022 and a simple screenshot wouldn't upload...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Optimized-IMG_20220329_171457.jpg (69.6 KB, 54 views)
Old 03-29-2022, 06:32 PM   #12
Frank Lee Scarlett

Simple solution.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:36 PM   #13
schwa
Administrator

I think you have set the fx browser to display the category list at the top by accidentally double-clicking the divider, and also shrunk the category list way down.

If you move the mouse to the area between the filter box and the FX list, the cursor should turn into an up/down arrow. Double-click there and the configuration will change back to horizontal.

PS. it's so much easier to be nice than not nice. Why not try it?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:43 PM   #14
Zkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I think you have set the fx browser to display the category list at the top by accidentally double-clicking the divider, and also shrunk the category list way down.

If you move the mouse to the area between the filter box and the FX list, the cursor should turn into an up/down arrow. Double-click there and the configuration will change back to horizontal.

PS. it's so much easier to be nice than not nice. Why not try it?
Hi! Thanks for the info unfortunately that doesn't work as you can see in my picture there is no vertical/,horizontal pane as depicted in your video. Again clicking that divider was the first thing I tried. Anyways I am saddened that as admin you seem to think I was not being nice? When I was su jected to multiple people abusing me when all I did was ask for a simple answer? Sorry friend but victim blaming is the game of the fascist so I must block you. Please evaluate how you treat people in the future, blaming a rape vixtimt for being raped Sint right neither is blaming me for others words and actions
Old 03-29-2022, 06:48 PM   #15
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
Sooo..not sure why I decided to use this garbage again..... this crap program....
Just quoting this in case he edits his post. Considering he come in here swinging and spewing shit, and he's playing the victim now, I wouldn't be surprised if he does that. That's how cowards roll.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:49 PM   #16
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
blaming a rape vixtimt for being raped Sint right neither is blaming me for others words and actions
Someone is losing what's left of their mind....It's kind of funny and sad at the same time.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:54 PM   #17
schwa
Administrator

It's hard to tell because it's a phone camera shot of a monitor, but it does in fact look like you have the category list horizontal and very narrow between the filter window and the FX list area. If you drag the mouse slowly over that horizontal area, you should see the cursor change to an up/down arrow, and that's when you double-click.

If that doesn't work for you, you could try Actions/Show action list, run the action "show REAPER resource path in explorer", open the REAPER.ini file in a text editor, and look for lines like this (might not be all together):

fxadd_divx=100
fxadd_divy=100
fxadd_vertdiv=0

I'd be curious to know what those values are in your file. I'm expecting the fxadd_divy value to be very small, and fxadd_vertdiv to be 1, meaning that you do have the category list horizontal and very narrow.

In any case, if you set them to something like what I've written there, save the file and reopen REAPER, that should fix the problem.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:57 PM   #18
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
It's hard to tell because it's a phone camera shot of a monitor, but it does in fact look like you have the category list horizontal and very narrow between the filter window and the FX list area. If you drag the mouse slowly over that horizontal area, you should see the cursor change to an up/down arrow, and that's when you double-click.

If that doesn't work for you, you could try Actions/Show action list, run the action "show REAPER resource path in explorer", open the REAPER.ini file in a text editor, and look for lines like this (might not be all together):

fxadd_divx=100
fxadd_divy=100
fxadd_vertdiv=0

I'd be curious to know what those values are in your file. I'm expecting the fxadd_divy value to be very small, and fxadd_vertdiv to be 1, meaning that you do have the category list horizontal and very narrow.

In any case, if you set them to something like what I've written there, save the file and reopen REAPER, that should fix the problem.
He said he blocked you because you victim-blamed him. So he "allegedly" can't read your post.
Old 03-29-2022, 07:35 PM   #19
Zkk

Quote:

fxadd_divx=100
fxadd_divy=100
fxadd_vertdiv=0

Hi! As stated tried that the first time and it didn't work. Again, repeating as pleasantly as possible, in your video you can clearly see when you resize the verticle and horizontal you can't completely make it dissapear... When you tried to do that by pushing the menu up it won't let you get rid of it completely. In my screenshot it's completely gone. And trying the left hand side divider yeilds the same results! Please keep in mind this is with the newest version downloaded hours ago. I would think,and let's be devil's advocates here assuming the program was made with some degree of intelligence, that even if the left pane was hidden that at least using the search window would yeild results....but as you cannot recreate in your video the error I'm seeing...tomorrow I will follow your instructions and pull that log and post. I'm not surprised people may not have seen this error as I still have no fixes to the mystery audio at the beginning of every track in my old reaper instance. It just seems to me, no offence to anyone so responding to this with hatred is a disproportionate and inappropriate response, that this program is very buggy hence the MASSIVE reaper forum I see here. It's good to have a community to help address these known bugs and errors but I do find this community to be overly toxic considering the insignififance of the program...just saying. Will post an update with the log results tomorrow for review because I'm morbidly curious at this point if a solution can be found! Night!
Old 03-30-2022, 03:28 AM   #20
schwa
Administrator

My guess would be that no filter results are appearing in the fx list because there is a category selected in the (not visible) category list, and there are no results for that search in that category.
Old 03-30-2022, 05:26 AM   #21
Frank Lee Scarlett

(LOL! He responded to you. I knew he didn't block anyone. This is how trolls operate. Hi ZKK, how you doing? Find a solution yet?)

I know the solution to this problem. I'm not bullshitting. I had the same exact thing happen when I changed computers not long ago. The solution is not what you're showing him. Well, it might be, but there's one other thing that has to be done elsewhere in the program first. It's one click away from being solved. I'm 100% serious.

Funny thing is, the person that helped me first gave me the exact same solution you're giving him. When I told him it didn't work, he said "Ah yes, ok. You have to go to "XXXX" and click on "XXXX" first.

It's the exact same situation. But I'm having way too much fun not sharing it with this oxygen thief.

Have a good one.

Last edited by Frank Lee Scarlett; 03-30-2022 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:06 AM   #22
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
Sooo..not sure why I decided to use this garbage
Quote:
this crap program
Quote:
Lol typical troll dummy response,uneducated
Quote:
Typical troll response. Dummy blocked.
Quote:
game of the fascist ....blaming a rape vixtimt for being raped
Yeah, that's a mentally stable person if I've ever seen one.

But WE are the ones that are toxic, right? LOL.

(OK, that's enough for me. I've had my fun. Good luck finding the solution. )

Last edited by Frank Lee Scarlett; 03-30-2022 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:23 AM   #23
schwa
Administrator

Frank, if you have a fix, it would be helpful if you could share it. As nazis say (apparently), it's so much easier to be nice than not nice.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:34 AM   #24
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
Frank, if you have a fix, it would be helpful if you could share it. As nazis say (apparently), it's so much easier to be nice than not nice.
I know it would be the "nice" thing to do. But, sorry, no way I'm helping this.....person. <<<See, that was as nice as I'm going to be with him.

Why help? He came in here insulting the program, calling people names, called you a NAZI, then tried to change his tone when he realized his toxicity was working against him.

Besides, I'm "allegedly" blocked. So he "allegedly" wouldn't see the solution anyway.

No offence to you. I know you think being nice is the right thing to do here. In this case, I disagree. The white gloves came off in his first post.

I'm just going t fade into the sunset on this one....with a huge smile on my face.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:54 AM   #25
vitalker

Quote:
John, I found that thread where Frank has asked for help. Here is a potential solution:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Oh, I see now.
It's because you have "Show in FX list > FX shortcuts" option enabled

(... you can find it in FX Browser > Options)
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:01 AM   #26
schwa
Administrator

Hm, thanks, but I don't think that's related to be honest. He's talking about the difference between what Windows calls list view and report view, which affects whether the FX in the right-hand pane are displayed in a single column or multiple columns.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:03 AM   #27
vitalker

Quote:
Hm, thanks, but I don't think that's related to be honest. He's talking about the difference between what Windows calls list view and report view, which affects whether the FX in the right-hand pane are displayed in a single column or multiple columns.
Without a screenshot it's hard to tell what's going on.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:08 AM   #28
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
John, I found that thread where Frank has asked for help. Here is a potential solution:
HA! Cool! I was trying to give hints without actually giving the solution. All you had to do was look through my short thread history. I'm glad someone figured it out. So now, everyone's happy! Isn't that...."nice"?

By the way, this did solve the problem for me. And his problem seems to be exactly what my issue was. So, hopefully, this is it.