Old 02-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
Tesgin
Human being with feelings

Default Freezing Track Removed Track Data

So I'm experimenting with the freeze tracks function in Reaper for the first time.

Some of recorded guitar part on my 2nd electric guitar (EG2) was removed when I froze the tracks.

I froze about six or so tracks. Two guitars were in a folder. Everything else seemed okay, but parts of the EG2 track were removed. The only parts that were not removed were the parts that were playing at the same time as the other elec guitar (EG LEad) was playing. When EG Lead stopped, the wave portion from EG2 was removed. Very odd.

I could unfreeze it to get it back. If I froze it by itself -- i.e., after unfreezing it I selected only the EG2 track and froze it again -- it was fine. But if I froze that track at the same time as the EG Lead track, those portions were removed again. Does it have something to do with the folder? Clearly a glitch.

Am I missing something here?

It does make me now VERY uncomfortable using the freeze function.

Tesgin
Tesgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #2
Tesgin

Never did get a reply to this post from Feb, but thought I'd resurrect it: I just finished some pretty decent projects and would like to archive them. Seems like freezing tracks would be a valuable thing to do. However, cuz of the experience described above, I'm quite leary ...

So, I'm wondering how "safe" it is to freeze tracks? I don't want to mess up my work! Have people found this to be reliable?

Any thoughts on the original post?
Old 06-20-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
jrengmusic

I have been freezing almost of my tracks (edited audio recordings, VIs, FXs) confidently for quite some time. Never had any problem, i could easily unfreeze and it would revert to its previous state perfectly.

Except for one ocassion when i unintentionally muted the tracks before freezing. The rendered items got funky, some missing, misplaced duplication, etc. then i realized the MUTE was the culprit. It could be a bug.

But other than that, i think REAPER track freeze is fine.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
Tesgin

Thanks. I'll give it a try. Can't hurt to have a backup, which I'd do anyway. Still the weird behavior described in my post above makes me nervous.

TB