Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 10-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #41
Jeffsounds
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Usually it's more about having a backup if something doesn't work out down the road after the tracks have been laid. With the exception of "guitar heroes" and instrumentalists where everything else is built around "their tone". Guitar tone, like any instrument, is more about does it fit in the mix and does it support the song, and if it doesn't and the performance is good, it can be reamped which means amp or SIM.
The problem with the people I am talking about is the "IF" doesn't exist for them. They have figured out a way to make a guitar sound cool using the SIM and that's all they want to use. To them, the amp that I'm playing through is just my security blanket to get the clean track down.

Quote:
Chances are I won't use the DI tracks at all but it is there if I find myself in a bad spot at mix time - I can just reamp or whatever. But truth be told, if the song has any real vision whatsoever at tracking time, most of these endless options aren't needed.
And that is how it SHOULD be, IMHO...

Quote:
It's when everyone wants to just "grab tracks" and move all the decision making to later in the process where people get "option vapor locked" trying to make mixing and editing the main part of the process when it really shouldn't be and will never be as good as getting it right up front for a multitude of reasons.
They just don't get that last part...

Quote:
I use a nice preamp and/or compression on the way in but 99.9% of the time, it's a DI.
Can compression be done on the way into Reaper with plugins, NOT outboard gear? Just curious...

Quote:
To be fair, I don't care for DI into pristine interface preamps FWIW though I'm sure they would work with post-record fiddling but I hate not having a bass tone I like from the get go. If anything, every 10 minutes of extra work up front results in 10 times less work that would have been needed at the mix stage.
Yes!
Old 10-02-2017, 11:06 PM   #42
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Fusion View Post
. Amp is always better for guitar.
Of course the "Real" and "pure" instrument and signal chain is "better" (in fact meaning "more like what you expect") than any simulation or alternative equipment. True with Guitar Amps and even more with an "unplugged" singer, a Grand Piano, a Hammond with Leslie, ...

But when recording or needing enhanced volume on stage that might be different, as trying to handle the original signal (e.g. by microphone in a given location) produces more problems than a digital simulation. In fact on the final recording there is nothing but bits, and in theory the same sequence of bits could be created by whatever means .

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-03-2017 at 02:54 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:31 PM   #43
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
The problem with the people I am talking about is the "IF" doesn't exist for them. They have figured out a way to make a guitar sound cool using the SIM and that's all they want to use.
If they are happy with their sound, I'm happy for them. I'll have some SIMs on my project, it isn't a deal breaker for me either way per se but that's my bigger point at the end of the day... No one should be on a mission to dis one in the name of the other.

I doubt many of them really have the choice as far as the average bedroom producer goes - but I have 'em so I enjoy using them and... there is no preset that sounds like my room, my mics and position and so on - simple uniqueness but typically people don't want unique, they just want to sound like everyone else.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:46 PM   #44
karbomusic

Quote:
Can compression be done on the way into Reaper with plugins, NOT outboard gear? Just curious...
Sure, and compression is the first thing someone will screw up learning but it isn't "that" hard to get a handle on judicious use without screwing things up. Knocking a dB or two off of something you know is going to need it anyway isn't going to hurt anything but over compression will. All of my vocal tracks get a decent amount of compression on the way in too - at some point we should get better at what we do and actually be able to predict the outcome.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-02-2017 at 11:53 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:35 AM   #45
tzzsmk

major thing I would take care of is separate monitoring and main downmix,
that means a robust reliable software solution for "main" AND zero-latency direct monitoring through serious audio interface,

also IF your hardware+software is strong enough, I'd prefer multitrack session using midi controller to toggle entire tracks/busses/chains instead of directly enabling/disabling individual effects, this is something which needs to be properly tested depending on what you are playing and how your arrangements are done
Old 10-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #46
Jeffsounds

Quote:
I doubt many of them really have the choice as far as the average bedroom producer goes - but I have 'em so I enjoy using them and... there is no preset that sounds like my room, my mics and position and so on - simple uniqueness but typically people don't want unique, they just want to sound like everyone else.
Exactly! If you have to, that's one thing but just to do it because it's there is not the way to go.

Quote:
Sure, and compression is the first thing someone will screw up learning but it isn't "that" hard to get a handle on judicious use without screwing things up. Knocking a dB or two off of something you know is going to need it anyway isn't going to hurt anything but over compression will. All of my vocal tracks get a decent amount of compression on the way in too - at some point we should get better at what we do and actually be able to predict the outcome.
I just used compression as an example but good points for sure. Now the question is, how do you use a plugin on the way in? I didn't know that was possible with a DAW.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #47
karbomusic

Quote:
I just used compression as an example but good points for sure. Now the question is, how do you use a plugin on the way in? I didn't know that was possible with a DAW.
Well you could use one on inputFX which gets 'burned in' but a slightly different subject.

The answer is I don't, one of my preamps (UA 4-710D) has 1176 compressor circuits on each of the four preamp channels which means I have compression available in the preamp before it hits the A/D converters. And I have two other compressors I can use that are hardware but tbh, the 1176 types in the UA are just very musical and wonderful for things like vocals and bass so they almost always go through it without question.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-03-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #48
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
I don't understand the question...You can turn input monitoring on, stick a compressor vst on and hear it. What's wrong with doing that?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:03 PM   #49
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I don't understand the question...You can turn input monitoring on, stick a compressor vst on and hear it. What's wrong with doing that?
It isn't about hearing it (though that does certainly help some performers), but for burning it in on the way in.

Not a thing prevents doing so if the only need is to add the fx on the way in via InputFX. That's is why I said "slightly different subject" because some might want to compress a little or limit to stay under the ADC and I didn't want to open a can of worms to answer a question that isn't really about that and more about knowing what they want before they record.

I do like a number of safety nets but to be honest, I don't have to change much ITB because I usually know what I wanted before I record (within reason of course) and I spend the majority of my time at the source during tracking and it certainly pays off at mix time.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-03-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:23 PM   #50
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Well you could use one on inputFX which gets 'burned in' but a slightly different subject.
So THAT's what InputFX is for! I had forgotten totally about those!
Old 10-03-2017, 11:44 PM   #51
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Hey while we are talking about this sort of thing and godDAMN I'm glad you guys are!!!! I had some questions about MIDIot stuff

I'm going to talk to SWS and grab the live configs stuff, but I had a few questions before

I notice that some plugins, I can right click a parameter and then REAPER's own midi learn window comes up and works perfect, but some plugins don't do that...is there some setting I have to make so all plugins work that way?

I have been trying some iOS amp sims and aside from the epic fail they are in most every conceivable way, one of them, Tonestack had something really cool: If you have the CC assigned to a wah, it can be off as long as the pedal is all the way down, stepping on the pedal and moving it forward turned it on and then the CC controls the wah pedal position. Same CC

It wasn't perfect, it needed a way to map its curve and the dead area for turning it on took up a bit too much of the wah travel, but I figure stuff like this is editable in reaper!

How could I set up say amplitube, or even a JS wah to respond this way?

Say CC7 0-16 turns off the wah, CC7 17-128 controls the wah position? Is there a way to do that?
Old 10-04-2017, 05:37 AM   #52
mschnell

Quote:
I notice that some plugins, I can right click a parameter and then REAPER's own midi learn window comes up and works perfect, but some plugins don't do that...is there some setting I have to make so all plugins work that way?
It's the other way round. If you right-click a parameter at a plugin's GUI (e.g. with Kontakt) you might get the plugin's "Midi learn" dialog if the plugin provides this. Reapers "Midi Learn" dialog is available by the "Param" button on the FX window's rim. Here you can choose any of the "(VST-) Host Parameters" the plugin provided. (Beware the name of those might be different from the names shown in the plugin's GUI.

(The JSFXes provide all the sliders as Host parameters with the same names as read in the GUI.)

BTW.: You also can route the parameter source to other parameters (here e.g. ReaControlMidi does nice tricks) or to realtime audio volume detection with lin/log functions, upper/lower limit, ...

-Michael
Old 10-04-2017, 05:47 AM   #53
karbomusic

Quote:
, I can right click a parameter and then REAPER's own midi learn window comes up and works perfect, but some plugins don't do that...is there some setting I have to make so all plugins work that way?
Click the param you care about to make it "last touched" then in the learn menu, that last touched param is the one being accessed. Otherwise, it's as mschnell described where something like kontakt includes it's own learn function via right-click.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #54
ashcat_lt

Just want to mention that Reaper's MIDI Learn is different from MIDI Link, which is different again from using the plugs own Learn functions.

The thing with turning the wah off at the end of the travel - basically turning a knob into a knob with a switch on it - needs a plugin to mess with the MIDI before it gets to the actual wah (or whatever) plug that you want to control. I've done it and it works. Made a JS plug that monitors the input CCs, and when the specific one we're looking at crosses the theshold, it sends a different CC that is mapped to toggle the bypass. It could really be used to do whatever you want. Turn on some completely other plugin, whatever.

Actually, I built that plugin before MIDI Link was a thing. It worked by moving its own sliders in response to MIDI input and the using Parameter Link. Works about the same either way. This kind of plugin can also be used to adjust the taper of the control by doing a little math on the input before sending it on.

mschnell - I think you were talking about MIDI Link because you also talked about other Parameter Modulation functions. Note that PM from audio control signal doesn't really do "linear", though you can almost come close if you adjust the curve just right. I have a post in Feature Requests for an actual linear mode, but haven't had any replies.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:46 AM   #55
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Whats midi link, and is that JS plugin you made available?

This is so ridiculously powerful!

During reaper 1, me Justin and Robo were talking about using reaper as a guitar fx rack/preamp thing with a midi pedalboard...it was a pretty simplistic way of running it, but Justin said something like "reaper's midi doesnt work that way". I think I was trying to change actual vst presets from the list on different plugins or something silly.

Fast forward to today and holy crap! This is dream setup stuff here, like the best of digitech's midi with the best of software based...unreal
Old 10-04-2017, 11:58 AM   #56
ashcat_lt

MIDI Link is under the Param button as Parameter Modulation/MIDI Link. It responds to MIDI messages running through the track itself. That's the same as plugs with their own Learn functions - they respond to MIDI on the track itself. Reaper's MIDI Learn is found by right-clicking, and responds only to MIDI messages in the Control Path. It won't "hear" any MIDI on the track. To get messages into the Control Path, you either need your MIDI controller enabled for control, or to use that MIDItoReaControl plug to bridge from track MIDI.

The JS I built is kind of specific to my situation, but I could post it for you if you want. Like I said, it doesn't actually use any of these systems, but rather Parameter Link (also in the PM window) which "directly" links parameters within and between plugs on the same track.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #57
mschnell

BTW.: what exactly are you trying to accomplish ?

-Michael
Old 10-04-2017, 10:12 PM   #58
pipelineaudio
Mortal

For me, turning on the wah from minimum to the first little bit of the pedal, like Tonestack does and the same pedal then controlling the wah

Also, what cheap interfaces work well with both Windows and iOS? That have actual ASIO drivers for windows...I see a focusrite with RCA outs, a presonus with a good set of outputs and some apogees with 1/8" yuk outs.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:32 AM   #59
atza

Don't forget to turn off screensaver
atza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:59 AM   #60
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by atza View Post
Don't forget to turn off screensaver
No but seriously definitely disable windows automatic updates!
Old 10-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #61
cycosuicide

I use Reaper to play backing tracks, to play samples, and Perhaps to run a VSTi like a synth.

Its important to ask yourself what it is exactly you are trying to accomplish. I don't recommend using Reaper for a guitar rig just because you can. What is it you are trying to do exactly? Then figure out a solution.

For me I don't use Reaper as a Live Guitar Rig. I only have one laptop, and to run a reliable and dependable rig, its important to have a dedicated laptop to do so. If you rarely gig, then maybe constant reliability isn't an issue for you.

As far as making things more portable because you don't have to lug an amp and pedalboard, are you sure going all laptop is making things easier? You need an appropriate carrying case/bag for your gear, don't forget your power cable. You need a table or a stand for that laptop. But you also need a decent audio interface which has midi for your footcontroller, the USB cable, and where are you putting the audio interface? on a table or a stand? I wouldn't put these things on the floor.

Oh, and I'd bring some spare USB cables as you never know. Like I said, you have to figure out what it is you are trying to do rather than do it just because you can.

One thing people don't think about is long term. Eventually your computer or your hard drive will die. You'll have to replace it. Or your operating system becomes obsolete. So any third party VSTs may not work. Don't even get me started on iLok.

Perhaps using a laptop and Reaper is great because you get to have nearly unlimited routing and combining VST FX as presets. Unless you are using IEMs, which tend to be consistent in monitoring, every room will sound different. Every monitoring system will sound different. You have to tune your guitar rig and its FX to the room. That's just a fact of life. Is it easier for you to mouse around to change some settings, or easier to turn a physical knob?

Lastly, I want you to consider one thing in terms of guitar gear. I bought a Lexicon MPX-1 back in 1999. It still works, and I still dig in and program wonderful FX and sounds on it. No software updates, no operating systems, nothing. It just works and has done so for nearly 20 years. I had a Triaxis and 2:90 amp setup for nearly 20 years. Yes I did have to change out Power tubes (which was expensive), but it always worked. Bought a Lexicon PCM 81 last year. 20 year old product and its an amazing piece of gear. What VST FX from 1997 still works on today's modern computer without having been updated.

So I use an actual guitar rig because of reliability, and I know that if my laptop should somehow fail or simply not turn on at all that night, I can still make music because my guitar rig will work. Oh and at home? Turn on the amp and practice. I don't have to wait for my laptop to turn on, and my file to load so then I can play.

What works for me and what I'm trying to accomplish may not work for you. But really consider and think about what it is you are trying to do. Ultimately it doesn't matter what anybody in this forum says. The only way for you to truly know, is to go do it.

So if you do play some gigs using just the laptop, let us know how that goes. I'd love to hear about it.
cycosuicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:31 AM   #62
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Since we already used the computer to run all the kids' shows through, I actually already have the entire setup and move it easily, easier than my rack+412, but I was always not sure about the MIDI switching part of it, I did it very simple, but I'd like to use a real pedalboard and see....For right now I'm trying out some iOS stuff instead and a wireless midi pedalboard, which is fun, but you miss all the cool stuff from the REAPER setup
Old 10-07-2017, 03:54 AM   #63
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycosuicide View Post
and to run a reliable and dependable rig, its important to have a dedicated laptop to do so.
... So if you do play some gigs using just the laptop, let us know how that goes. I'd love to hear about it.
Very true ! (Read the LiveConfigs guide chapter on that issue, as well ! )

In fact I built an "embedded" PC (without monitor, mouse and PC-keyboard, without a FAN and with SSD, so no moving parts, I7 CPU, 16 Gig RAM) in a trunk together with an Audio6 (very low latency) A/D - D/A - Midi interface and DI for live playing with keyboards. This trunk is fine-tuned for reliably and performance, absolutely dedicated for this usage and hardly ever runs other software than just Reaper.

We also tested using GuitarRig, which did work fine but the Guitarist now uses a different gear.

I use the trunk daily for practicing and playing with the band and of course on stage for gigs. Up till now, it never failed me.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-08-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #64
serr

Goes without saying to have two of everything whenever possible for gigging. You can get crafty with your redundancy so that the 2nd whatever it is gives you extra features when nothing is going wrong.

Two audio interfaces in an aggregate device for more I/O. A single interface will get you through a show.

You can squeeze two hard drives in a laptop. You know that 2nd drive with a fresh clone of your system will boot no matter what. And now you have more storage.

Consider the Powermac G5 tower for a stage computer. You can find them for $150 nowadays and they absolutely have the CPU power to run a real time low latency live instrument rig. Something smacking into your laptop that could total the poor thing would be barely a light scratch on that Powermac case. Then there's the bit where ageing software turns into shareware.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #65
ashcat_lt

I did have some problems when I was running the laptop itself as the CPU. One show it just wasn't making sound when we got up to play. Luckily, we were able to let the next act go on while I fucked with it. It was one of those things where I plugged and unplugged a couple cables and checked some settings but didn't actually change anything at all but it worked. :/

A couple of times it just glitched out right in the middle of the performance - usually right at the climax or what I call the "punchline" of the song. That really sucked. It would just go like "bzort" and the silent, and by the time I got over to see WTF, "trozb" and its back up. Of course, it never did this in rehearsal and I couldn't reproduce it at home. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with CPU overload. It's just like 2.3G dual core.

So built my "embedded PC" and the only trouble I've had with it is the time I left the power strip it was plugged into accessible to the drunk punk kid on the stage. That would have shut down an analog system too, and it actually doesn't take the audio machine very long to boot straight back into the last saved Reaper project. It'll be up and making noise before the laptop is anywhere near ready to VNC to it.

I haven't found a real good app for VNC from any of my other devices. I've got an iPhone, a kindle fire, and Lenovo yoga. Yoga runs windows, but I can't get the same application that I'm running on the laptop for some reason. I've been meaning to try Reaper's own mobile app, but when it comes down to it, I fall back to what I know works. Honestly, most of the time when I'm on stage, it's just right there anyway, but when I mix other folks, it would be nice to be wireless and handheld.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #66
mschnell

Keyboard and "trunk" PC (Monitor etc only used for configuration):

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-07-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #67
StepOne

I've been using Reaper as a live guitar rig for the last few shows, its been rock solid on my old laptop and Presonus Audiobox 96 running @ 64 samples.

It wasn't easy to set up at first, the audio did have occasional stuttering issues.
I was able to fix all these issues by d/ling a new presonus driver, and configuring W10 properly (best performance of background services, setting any connection as metered/disabling cortana/windows search/etc.). I have not had a single hiccup in a live environment yet (knock on wood).

Setting up Reaper actions for live gigging was quite a headache for a long time. In the beginning I tried to create actions mapped to my foot pedal that would mute the selected track, move to another track and unmute it. This worked ok, until the track order changed (or i accidentially selected another track with my mouse), then everything messed up. I tried installing the SWS extensions and live configs settings, but all these made things more complicated than I thought they should be.

I resolved these issues by writing a couple small and simple Lua scripts - the first script mutes all tracks except the ones with "locked" somewhere in the title, and then unmutes the track(s) with a specific name in the title. So, if my title has (00 01) in it, I know that mapping that action to my FCB1010 pedal bank 00 preset pedal 1 will always activate that track, regardless of where the track is located in my TCP. The second script globally enables/disables any track fx that I label "Expression". This is for activating the expression pedal, if I want it to be available on my selected preset. Writing these two small scripts just glued everything together, making it all so much easier.

I even added GLoop to the mix, and now have a looper on my project controlled by my foot pedal.

I'm quite happy with my rig and the ability to make it as flexible as I want. It was a hassle at first, but after all the struggles, everything came together.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #68
StepOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycosuicide View Post
I use Reaper to play backing tracks, to play samples, and Perhaps to run a VSTi like a synth.

Its important to ask yourself what it is exactly you are trying to accomplish. I don't recommend using Reaper for a guitar rig just because you can. What is it you are trying to do exactly? Then figure out a solution.

For me I don't use Reaper as a Live Guitar Rig. I only have one laptop, and to run a reliable and dependable rig, its important to have a dedicated laptop to do so. If you rarely gig, then maybe constant reliability isn't an issue for you.

As far as making things more portable because you don't have to lug an amp and pedalboard, are you sure going all laptop is making things easier? You need an appropriate carrying case/bag for your gear, don't forget your power cable. You need a table or a stand for that laptop. But you also need a decent audio interface which has midi for your footcontroller, the USB cable, and where are you putting the audio interface? on a table or a stand? I wouldn't put these things on the floor.

Oh, and I'd bring some spare USB cables as you never know. Like I said, you have to figure out what it is you are trying to do rather than do it just because you can.

One thing people don't think about is long term. Eventually your computer or your hard drive will die. You'll have to replace it. Or your operating system becomes obsolete. So any third party VSTs may not work. Don't even get me started on iLok.

Perhaps using a laptop and Reaper is great because you get to have nearly unlimited routing and combining VST FX as presets. Unless you are using IEMs, which tend to be consistent in monitoring, every room will sound different. Every monitoring system will sound different. You have to tune your guitar rig and its FX to the room. That's just a fact of life. Is it easier for you to mouse around to change some settings, or easier to turn a physical knob?

Lastly, I want you to consider one thing in terms of guitar gear. I bought a Lexicon MPX-1 back in 1999. It still works, and I still dig in and program wonderful FX and sounds on it. No software updates, no operating systems, nothing. It just works and has done so for nearly 20 years. I had a Triaxis and 2:90 amp setup for nearly 20 years. Yes I did have to change out Power tubes (which was expensive), but it always worked. Bought a Lexicon PCM 81 last year. 20 year old product and its an amazing piece of gear. What VST FX from 1997 still works on today's modern computer without having been updated.

So I use an actual guitar rig because of reliability, and I know that if my laptop should somehow fail or simply not turn on at all that night, I can still make music because my guitar rig will work. Oh and at home? Turn on the amp and practice. I don't have to wait for my laptop to turn on, and my file to load so then I can play.

What works for me and what I'm trying to accomplish may not work for you. But really consider and think about what it is you are trying to do. Ultimately it doesn't matter what anybody in this forum says. The only way for you to truly know, is to go do it.

So if you do play some gigs using just the laptop, let us know how that goes. I'd love to hear about it.
You bring up a lot of good points -

I'd say what I want to accomplish is to have the power/flexibility in a multi-effects box to build and stack fx any way I want, and not be limited by the box itself. I've gone through many guitar multi-fx pedals, between $200 and $400 - each has their pros and cons, but they are inheritly limited to only presets and effects that are built-in or specifically made for that model. Due to the limited processing power of these pedals (which is much less than even my 10 year old laptop) I can only stack a few effects at a time, and most don't allow for stacking of like effects.

As far as reliability, a guitar rig / multi-fx hardware unit can definitely be more reliable than a laptop. Its all about the build quality, and there are some well-built laptops out there. As far as speed, I put an SSD in my old laptop and it boots from power off to ready to play in Reaper in 15 seconds. I press the power button, plug in the extension cord to the amp/foot pedal, and by the time I sit down and plug my guitar in, its ready to go. If I want to build tones or tweak my presets at home, I prefer to remote into my laptop from my desktop. I can also back up the entire guitar rig in 10 seconds when doing this.

Physical knobs definitely trump using the mouse, and they make dialing in a sound much quicker. With my foot pedal, I can find some middle ground. For example, adjusting room EQ, my FCB has 10 pedals in two rows. I can have the first column adjust UP/DOWN for bass, second column UP/DOWN for mid, etc., and the last column can reset. More work, yes, but it can still be relatively efficient.

The laptop way can be much more difficult than real hardware and it also has more potential areas of failure. The upside is the flexibility, and that's what appeals to me. I've worked with computers my entire life, and still find them to be a major PITA.

Last edited by StepOne; 12-13-2017 at 11:38 AM.
StepOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #69
ashcat_lt

I feel like I'm not doing anywhere near what other people are doing with this. The original plan did involve replacing my hardware pedalboard (as in multiple pedals physically plugged together) with software and a controller, but that hasn't come together yet for several reasons, so I (and whoever else I'm playing with at the time) pretty much still use the pedals and the computer just does amp sim.

Well...no... I also sometimes run my MIDI guitar through different synth/drum/FX chains, and we did replace the ring mod>distortion chain that used my guitar and the bass as the two sources, and the Mr Rogers Mic that tries to convert the full band mix to MIDI playing a wind chime type thing along with whatever happens, and then there's the drums which mostly just pound away at a steady rhythm, but their velocity follows individual instrument volumes. We were doing most of this with hardware synths and pedal chains and hardware amp sims for years, and I have managed to replace all of the hardware except our personal pedal chains.

But I don't run backing tracks the way others do, so I've never had to jump from one song to another. One time we sort of did, but I actually just had three different sets of drum tracks all running at the same time and I switched between them on the fly. Our songs don't have very well defined structure, and can change from performance to performance. Extended intro, extra solos, vamp under spoken word for ten minutes in the middle. This is the best solution I've found so far. I have not worked out a way to do this without actually touching the computer yet, though.

We've talked about wiring my father's organ to the computer and giving him a knob maybe for tempo and a button to change beats and maybe an all mute button. I'm not sure I trust him though.

I did one time a solo set where I had four parallel tracks each running my JS "delay pedal" and used my MikroKontrol to fade between them and switch which one my guitar was feeding and stuff. That was cool, but a bit awkward and I really should have rehearsed it better and drunk less before I took it to the stage.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #70
StepOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Keyboard and "trunk" PC (Monitor etc only used for configuration):

-Michael
Nice Trunk...how much was your I7 build?
Old 12-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #71
mschnell

The embeded PC box was some € 1000 (Plus Windows OS).

A year later I ordered two more of them to use as office PCs, as it's really nice to have a perfectly silent box sitting on your table . (No need for a huge drive as I use a NAS as mass storage, anyway.)

-Michael
Old 01-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #72
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Hi guys, fyi here's a 'starter/explainer template' for getting your head around sws s&m live configs - which at first is maybe daunting.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...14&postcount=6

Hope helps.
Benk! Thanks I'm going through this again, but I was planning on sending PC messages not CC, is that doable?
Old 01-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #73
mschnell

Search the Forums for "liveConfigs" to find several more threads and a lot of messages regarding that issue.

Quote:
Benk! Thanks I'm going through this again, but I was planning on sending PC messages not CC, is that doable?
I's easy (once you know how to do it). You might want to check my extended LiveConfigs User guide that includes a description.

The essensce is:
- route the PC messages to a track and not to "control messages" in the driver
- use a JSFX (e.g. PCtoCC) in that track
- use the MidiToReaControlPath VST to route the (now CC) messages to LiveConfigs.

It would be great to have a dedicated subforum for "Using Reaper Live" for such issues.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 01-21-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #74
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Thank you! I am soon going to be bugging you. Where is your user guide?
Old 01-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #75
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Actually, the action SWS/BR Restore tracks' solo and mute state to all tracks sl01, slot 2 etx....

But where do I set those slots?
Old 01-21-2018, 11:00 PM   #76
mschnell

LiveConfigs features a GUI to set the actions to be done when it sees an incoming CC (please see the User Guide). You usually don't need the actions in the Reaper action list.

On a CC it can be set to
- unmute a track (and mute all others it this config sheet)
- push presets onto plugins (as you configured for that track)
- execute Reaper actions

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 01-22-2018 at 08:24 AM.