Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-11-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
+NRG
Human being with feelings

Default Record MIDI Patch change from VSTi while recording MIDI data?

Hello,

I can't seem to find an answer to this question... Forgive my ignorance!

I'd like to be able to record MIDI Patch change data from a VSTi while recording MIDI data in REAPER.

I want to record my playing (improv) over a track while auditioning different sounds by selecting them from the VSTi GUI in the FX window... And, be able to play back and hear the MIDI notes I recorded with the different sounds used at the different parts of the track.

Is there a simple way to do this?

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
funkster1

Shouldn't the PC (program change) messages sent by the VSTi be recorded automatically?

A quick test here did it.

It could of course depend on the VSTi used. Or maybe even on the way you're selecting programs. I did it with my synth and it worked.
I guess that there might be some VSTi's which don't send/receive PC data. So maybe you could draw the changes in the MIDI editor yourself (program).
Win 10 Pro 21H2|AMD RYZEN 3600|32 GB RAM|NVIDIA GeForce 710 fanless|2x27" Full HD screen|250 GB SSD system|1 TB SSD Samples|1 TB SSD projects|2 TB HDD docs & images|ROLAND Octa-Capture|BCR2000|Nektar LX88+|Maschine Mikro MK3|ZeRO SL MkII|FCB1010|KRK ROKIT 5|
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
+NRG

I was using Rapture... Changing patches in the FX window in REAPER. Didn't work automatically...

I like to pick a tempo and jam/improv over a drum track to come up with fresh ideas... Different sounds make me play different musical ideas. I'd like to just play without thinking and try different sounds on the fly (without having to keep track of the sounds used) and afterward listen back and have that info available if an idea is worth developing...
Old 11-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #4
funkster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by +NRG View Post
I was using Rapture... Changing patches in the FX window in REAPER. Didn't work automatically ...
Not familiar with Rapture, but does it support Program Change? If so, can't you switch programs from your keyboard/MIDI controller? Because that would get recorded.

I just tried it again with Bass Station, the PC's I did from my synth got recorded, the manual changes on the VSTi UI not.

Maybe a case for a feature request or bug report? Not sure how it should work from the UI.
Win 10 Pro 21H2|AMD RYZEN 3600|32 GB RAM|NVIDIA GeForce 710 fanless|2x27" Full HD screen|250 GB SSD system|1 TB SSD Samples|1 TB SSD projects|2 TB HDD docs & images|ROLAND Octa-Capture|BCR2000|Nektar LX88+|Maschine Mikro MK3|ZeRO SL MkII|FCB1010|KRK ROKIT 5|
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:56 PM   #5
Johnnny-5

Rapture does not support midi program change.
Johnnny-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #6
+NRG

Thanks for the info!