Old 10-18-2021, 11:04 AM   #81
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

To simplify support, we have created a discord support channel over here:
https://discord.gg/RnBQe4gFm3

Feel free to join. Should make things easier with screenshots, problems solving, etc...
Old 10-18-2021, 02:23 PM   #82
Arthur McArthur

I've tried to join the discord channel but I'm getting a "Messages failed to load" error, which is odd since other channels are loading fine.

In the meantime, I've made it a bit farther into using SK2, although it seems like its not recognizing the encoders I created as actual encoders - it's treating them as faders instead.
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:29 PM   #83
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McArthur View Post
I've tried to join the discord channel but I'm getting a "Messages failed to load" error, which is odd since other channels are loading fine.

In the meantime, I've made it a bit farther into using SK2, although it seems like its not recognizing the encoders I created as actual encoders - it's treating them as faders instead.
Hey Arthur - when creating the control map - did you create the encoders using Relative 1 mode? If so - maybe I got something wrong - as I could only read the manual for the MFT to work out how they worked - but am not able to test.

Would you be able to stick a midi logger on the SK_IN_<port> control track for your MFT - and report the message you get when turning clockwise and the message when turning anti-clockwise? Just so I'm sure how it should work.

EDIT:

Also - can you check how the encoders are set up? In the manual it shows 3 ways they can be set up - two are absolute methods - and the third is relative Enc 3FH/41H mode (which I assumed you would be using) and will hopefully work with Relative 1 mode in SK2.

Regarding the discord issue - have reported to Stephan - as he's the owner of the channel. It didn't have any messages in the channel yet - I wonder if that could have been a problem. I've posted a first message - so maybe it will work now - I'm not sure...

Last edited by lb0; 10-18-2021 at 02:38 PM.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:54 PM   #84
_Stevie_

Fixed, people should be able to join now
Old 10-19-2021, 12:14 PM   #85
IXix

This looks great! I wish I had a control surface.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:01 AM   #86
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuba View Post
Hey Leon,

It's an x-touch, I'm running loopMidi and using an old iconnectivity midi interface. I'm pretty sure it's all properly wired, adjusting a fader with the mouse in reaper makes it move on the x-touch, adjusting it on the x-touch makes it move in reaper.

Cheers,
Brandon
Did you have any luck sorting out your issue? Still happy to help and work out what's going on...

Best place for support is now the discord channel which Stevie posted a link to, but I can still try to help here.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:02 AM   #87
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
This looks great! I wish I had a control surface.
Thanks!! - let us know if you ever decide to get one
Old 10-20-2021, 07:49 AM   #88
buschag

Is there a different setup process if connecting via usb? I followed the video and tried mapping first xtouch fader as was shown but the controller never responded. Maybe the midi loop back setting should be different? I chose xtouch since I’m using usb.
buschag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:16 AM   #89
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschag View Post
Is there a different setup process if connecting via usb? I followed the video and tried mapping first xtouch fader as was shown but the controller never responded. Maybe the midi loop back setting should be different? I chose xtouch since I’m using usb.
What mode have you set the XTouch to? Unfortunately XCtl mode doesn't work via the USB port - so the XTouch will not communicate if in XCtl mode connected via USB - this is a limitation of the XTouch. If you want coloured scribble strips using XCtl mode - then you will have to connect via the Midi DIN ports from the XTouch into whatever interface you are using.

You can still use the XTouch when in USB mode - but will need to use a different mode from XCtl - and you will have to create a control map for it using the Control Map creator (as the MIDI messages differ from XCtl mode).

So if you must use USB - bear in mind you cannot have coloured scribble strips. Switch it into one of the modes that works via USB, then load the Control Map Creator (CMC) script. You could then load in the provided XCtl map into the CMC - and just re-learn the controls - and remove the HandShake (as it's only required for XCtl mode).

EDIT: I would highly recommend using the XCtl mode and connecting via DIN ports if at all possible - as having the coloured scribble strips is awesome!
Old 10-20-2021, 09:38 AM   #90
buschag

My interface doesn’t have midi ports. I can do without the colored scribble strips for now but maybe one day.
buschag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:38 PM   #91
lb0

Updated to v2.0.0005b

Fixed a misleading description in the manual regarding the Settings dialog screen where it was suggested you needed to select the SK2 loopback device ports in the Hardware MIDI input and output port sections. This was incorrect. The loopback midi port should *only* be selected in the Midi Loopback box further down the dialog screen.

Sorry for any confusion.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:21 PM   #92
SeanTypedThis

Smart Knobs 2 is amazing, and thank you for all of the work with documentation! Of course it came out when I was out of town, haha, but I've finally got a chance to look through it the last few days, and it looks wonderful. Once I do a little parsing on the layer system (particularly toggling layers on controller assignments), and some midiox/loopmidi cloning, I think it'll be perfect compliment for controlling plugins in addition to my existing system for controlling track operation.

Just in case anyone has a K-Mix, I've uploaded a generic template with the default K-Mix control surface mappings set to Channel "2" (or "1" in smart knobs 2) to the stash:

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/43085/Smar...2%20102021.cmc

I may have missed this, but were there any plans for a mapper repo?

Also, I seem to remember in a comment or video (?) you mentioning you were creating a version in the future oriented more toward live performance? That will be my primary use case, and the current smart knobs 2 seems like plenty controller-ism already, but do you have any insight on your aim with that particular future iteration?

Again, thanks for this amazing work, all of your documentation really made a difference, and the tips in the videos were really useful when getting started.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:45 PM   #93
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTypedThis View Post
Smart Knobs 2 is amazing, and thank you for all of the work with documentation! Of course it came out when I was out of town, haha, but I've finally got a chance to look through it the last few days, and it looks wonderful. Once I do a little parsing on the layer system (particularly toggling layers on controller assignments), and some midiox/loopmidi cloning, I think it'll be perfect compliment for controlling plugins in addition to my existing system for controlling track operation.

Just in case anyone has a K-Mix, I've uploaded a generic template with the default K-Mix control surface mappings set to Channel "2" (or "1" in smart knobs 2) to the stash:

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/43085/Smar...2%20102021.cmc

I may have missed this, but were there any plans for a mapper repo?

Also, I seem to remember in a comment or video (?) you mentioning you were creating a version in the future oriented more toward live performance? That will be my primary use case, and the current smart knobs 2 seems like plenty controller-ism already, but do you have any insight on your aim with that particular future iteration?

Again, thanks for this amazing work, all of your documentation really made a difference, and the tips in the videos were really useful when getting started.
Thanks for the feedback. I have to say I don't remember mentioning anything about live performance ?? lol. Maybe I was referring to something else - or just my brain is failing (most probably ). Let me know if you pinpoint what I said - and I'll try and remind myself what I was thinking.

Anyway - not quite sure what I can add regarding live performance with SK2 of the top of my head - it already does everything as live as I can think it can...

Thanks for sharing the K-Mix map!

Regarding a repo for the maps - I can add additional content to the zip file installer - so might be a good place to add additional control maps. Either that - or simply add them to a folder in my github - I shall discuss the best way to do this with the rest of the team... Would be brilliant to have maps available for as many control surfaces as possible. Obviously - some controllers would required a certain setup - so it would be good to have a document alongside the map detailing any required controller setup.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:18 PM   #94
SeanTypedThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I have to say I don't remember mentioning anything about live performance ?? lol. Maybe I was referring to something else - or just my brain is failing (most probably ). Let me know if you pinpoint what I said - and I'll try and remind myself what I was thinking.

Anyway - not quite sure what I can add regarding live performance with SK2 of the top of my head - it already does everything as live as I can think it can...
Found it! It was actually one of your collaborators dropping a "news to me" type of surprise on you in the middle of an interview, haha..:

https://youtu.be/04I6ZPp3RoU?t=1883

Those concepts do sound amazing, but I agree, I don't think they are anything particularly unavailable to the mapper you created with the power of REAPER and an understanding of the mapping system.

Then again, I've been in the REAPER system so long, sometimes I don't understand the difference between simple and complicated when I try to explain things to people... =X
Old 10-24-2021, 04:25 PM   #95
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTypedThis View Post
Found it! It was actually one of your collaborators dropping a "news to me" type of surprise on you in the middle of an interview, haha..:

https://youtu.be/04I6ZPp3RoU?t=1883

Those concepts do sound amazing, but I agree, I don't think they are anything particularly unavailable to the mapper you created with the power of REAPER and an understanding of the mapping system.

Then again, I've been in the REAPER system so long, sometimes I don't understand the difference between simple and complicated when I try to explain things to people... =X
Ahh yes - I really have no idea what is in the minds of the rest of the team. They discuss things between themselves then throw them at me to code lol!

I'm still awaiting clarification of what they mentioned in that podcast, as I have no idea what they were talking about! Whatever it is - I'm positive it will be useful.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:36 AM   #96
SeanTypedThis

Haha, that sounds like a good and proper front end back end relationship. Well thanks for taking so many work flow considerations in stride, your work and collaboration has had wonderful results! =)
Old 10-28-2021, 07:16 AM   #97
istominmusic

Hello! And where can I find the configuration for XTouch mini? And another question. I have not yet launched the SK2, but I would like to know - is it possible to close its window? Since the first version was constantly supposed to be on the screen, and this was extremely not convenient.
istominmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:52 AM   #98
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by istominmusic View Post
Hello! And where can I find the configuration for XTouch mini? And another question. I have not yet launched the SK2, but I would like to know - is it possible to close its window? Since the first version was constantly supposed to be on the screen, and this was extremely not convenient.
Hi - For anything other than an XTouch - you will need to create your own configuration using the ControlMapCreator script provided with SK2.

It's pretty straightforward to do - and I've provided a video tutorial here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stvFjGjOcMY

Regarding the script GUI - the script has to be running while in use - and generally that means the GUI must be open - but there are various ways to hide the GUI whilst keeping the script running. I can provide a show/hide SK2 GUI script if required. So whilst it's not possible to use SK2 with the GUI 'closed' - it can be hidden when you don't need access to it.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:51 AM   #99
istominmusic

Quote:
Hi - For anything other than an XTouch - you will need to create your own configuration using the ControlMapCreator script provided with SK2.

It's pretty straightforward to do - and I've provided a video tutorial here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stvFjGjOcMY

Regarding the script GUI - the script has to be running while in use - and generally that means the GUI must be open - but there are various ways to hide the GUI whilst keeping the script running. I can provide a show/hide SK2 GUI script if required. So whilst it's not possible to use SK2 with the GUI 'closed' - it can be hidden when you don't need access to it.
Thank you SO much for the answer!!! It is very cool! I was making an XTouch mini card. Encoders work. But in your video, I didn't see how to set up feedback. My controller is currently in MC mode and card settings - I have no idea what to choose. When you set up buttons, this is simple, since there is a "Learn" button and all the data is picked up when you click the buttons, but how to set up feedback? I have an LED on Encoders. I would really like to configure all this to go to your script from CSI. On this I have 3 questions:
1. How do I configure FeedBack?
2. "Finetune" - I change from 1 to 64, but nothing changes. And I need the encoder to work more accurately, so that they get a more accurate movement of the plugin handles (otherwise each step changes by a large value).
3. And please submit a script that may temporarily hide the interface to release the screen.

I release Reaper videos on the big youtube channel for Russian-speaking society. A lesson on working at CSI will soon be released. But I want to create the next lesson about your script and, of course, offer interested musicians to make a financial contribution to support your work. According to this, I want to deal with your script in order to train several thousand more Russian-speaking viewers to work with it)
Old 10-28-2021, 09:18 AM   #100
istominmusic

Default Error

Weird. I've trained 2 plug-ins to work with the controller. The second plugin was deleted, and in Smart Knobs 2 - there was information about it, (although I only had the first plugin active). I rebooted Reaper. Now when I start SmartKnobs2 I get this mistake:
C:\reaper 6\Scripts\LBX\LBX_SmartKnobs2.lua:1542: bad argument #1 to 'GetTrackGUID' (MediaTrack expected)

P.S. I deleted and reinstalled the script - everything works. But I never solved my 3 questions. The buttons work with FeedBack, but encoders - do not display any feedback.

Last edited by istominmusic; 10-28-2021 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:29 AM   #101
istominmusic

He transferred the XTouch Mini from MC mode to Standart mode, re-created the map and feedback appeared.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:35 AM   #102
lb0

Quote:
He transferred the XTouch Mini from MC mode to Standart mode, re-created the map and feedback appeared.
Hi - I just updated to hopefully address the crash that you found. v2.0.0006

Glad you sorted the feedback. If the mode you are using needs different feedback CC or Note numbers from those sent by the XTouch Mini - then you need to fill out the third set of boxes in the ControlMapCreator labelled Feedback type. You'd have to look at the manual to work out what is required there as you cannot learn the feedback values...

But it seems by switching modes - you've managed to get it working

I will answer all your other questions once the kids are in bed...

EDIT:

I think the error was caused by assigning a plugin parameter to a global or permanent layer - and the plugin or track not existing in the project you loaded... Hopefully this is now spotted and dealt with better.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:56 AM   #103
istominmusic

Default Having to return to MC mode

Now new problem. If to use XTouch mini in "standard" the mode then though feedback and works, but the movement encoders too "twitches" also very not exact. And in a script the possibility of control of accuracy of the movement disappears. So it is impossible to work absolutely. After all (as well as in a case with CSI) the controller needs to be switched to mode "MC", but there is then a question of feedback realization...
Old 10-28-2021, 11:02 AM   #104
istominmusic

Quote:
Hi - I just updated to hopefully address the crash that you found. v2.0.0006

Glad you sorted the feedback. If the mode you are using needs different feedback CC or Note numbers from those sent by the XTouch Mini - then you need to fill out the third set of boxes in the ControlMapCreator labelled Feedback type. You'd have to look at the manual to work out what is required there as you cannot learn the feedback values...

But it seems by switching modes - you've managed to get it working

I will answer all your other questions once the kids are in bed...

EDIT:

I think the error was caused by assigning a plugin parameter to a global or permanent layer - and the plugin or track not existing in the project you loaded... Hopefully this is now spotted and dealt with better.

Yes. My layer was "Global" and from this script could not understand that I switched to another plugin, but the script, although it changed the name of the plugin,
all controls remained from another plugin. When I turned off the "global layer" - everything worked correctly!

Yes, I tried different options in FeedBack installations. In Standard mode, it worked. Here, for example, if the encoder gives this value:
CC chanel 10, Num1 - then the feedback is:
CC Chanel 10, Num1 (that is, you need to adjust exactly the same value in the feedback). Unfortunately in MC mode - I don't get feedback...
Old 10-28-2021, 01:20 PM   #105
istominmusic

Tried a bunch of options. Unfortunately, I did not succeed, so that the feedback from encoders would work in Mackie mode. Also, I had not previously managed to get feedback in the ReaLearn (it also does not work in Mackie mode).
Interestingly, in Mackie mode, button feedback works. Only encoders do not have LED indicators.
At the same time, if I use CSI, then in Mackie mode everything works perfectly (including feedback with handles and indicators).
I read your instruction, but I couldn't find anything to help me.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:55 PM   #106
lb0

Quote:
Tried a bunch of options. Unfortunately, I did not succeed, so that the feedback from encoders would work in Mackie mode. Also, I had not previously managed to get feedback in the ReaLearn (it also does not work in Mackie mode).
Interestingly, in Mackie mode, button feedback works. Only encoders do not have LED indicators.
At the same time, if I use CSI, then in Mackie mode everything works perfectly (including feedback with handles and indicators).
I read your instruction, but I couldn't find anything to help me.
Yeah. I've researched and the ring LEDs require something different to the XTouch and extender. I'll see if I can add a new mode in the next week or so to get it working.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:13 PM   #107
istominmusic

Quote:
Yeah. I've researched and the ring LEDs require something different to the XTouch and extender. I'll see if I can add a new mode in the next week or so to get it working.
Thank you so much for the answer! Now I will know that the question is in the script, and not that I did not understand something. Thank you for your time! I really hope you can do it! If suddenly it would be helpful to you - I could send a file from the CSI describing this controller (where the feedback addresses are written). Thank you again for your attention! Please - if anything changes - can you write me a personal message, whatever I miss?
Old 10-28-2021, 03:00 PM   #108
lb0

Quote:
Thank you so much for the answer! Now I will know that the question is in the script, and not that I did not understand something. Thank you for your time! I really hope you can do it! If suddenly it would be helpful to you - I could send a file from the CSI describing this controller (where the feedback addresses are written). Thank you again for your attention! Please - if anything changes - can you write me a personal message, whatever I miss?
Sure thing. It should be easy enough to get the encoder ring LEDs working - they simply need to feed back values 1-13. But this is different to both how the XTouch works - and also the extender which again has its own way! lol. Not a great deal of consistency.

It seems the XTouch mini and XTouch Compact use the same values though - so at least I'll be solving two controllers by adding this option.

I'll let you know when I've got the option done to hopefully get the mini working.

Unfortunately - as the fader on the mini is not motorized - there's not much chance of getting that working nicely with SK2.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:33 AM   #109
lb0

Quote:
Hi istominmusic,

I've just updated SK2 with hopefully what is required to get it working with the XTouch mini.

I've added a new feedback mode - XT ENC RING 2 - which should be suitable to feedback data to the encoders on the XT mini.

The encoders 1-8 feedback on midi channel 0, and Enc1 = CC9, Enc2 = CC10, Enc3 = CC11 etc.

So the settings in the control map creator would be (for encoder 1):

Feedback type: XT ENC RING 2
Feedback chan: 0
Feedback num: 9

(The feedback num in this case is the CC number for the feedback message).

There's also a new option under Additional Data which you will need to set as follows to get the button lights working:

Toggle button 'On' value: 1

(This defaults to 127 - but the XT mini requires a value of 1 not 127 to indicate a button should be lit).

I'm not sure what mode the mini should be in to best work with SK2 - I would suggest MC mode.

Let me know if you get the chance to test it - and whether it works. Obviously I've coded this according to the XT mini manual, and only been able to test by monitoring the feedback midi that is sent to my imaginary XT mini

Cheers,
L.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:48 PM   #110
istominmusic

Default XTouch Mini

Quote:
Hi istominmusic,

I've just updated SK2 with hopefully what is required to get it working with the XTouch mini.

I've added a new feedback mode - XT ENC RING 2 - which should be suitable to feedback data to the encoders on the XT mini.

The encoders 1-8 feedback on midi channel 0, and Enc1 = CC9, Enc2 = CC10, Enc3 = CC11 etc.

There's also a new option under Additional Data which you will need to set as follows to get the button lights working:

(This defaults to 127 - but the XT mini requires a value of 1 not 127 to indicate a button should be lit).

I'm not sure what mode the mini should be in to best work with SK2 - I would suggest MC mode.

Let me know if you get the chance to test it - and whether it works. Obviously I've coded this according to the XT mini manual, and only been able to test by monitoring the feedback midi that is sent to my imaginary XT mini

Cheers,
L.

Hello!
Thanks for the work! I'm very glad!
I installed a new version. Created a new map. But, if I press automatic pen learning, my number 1 to 8 handles have a different meaning:
Enc1 = CC 0 16
Enc2 = CC 0 17
Enc3 = CC 0 18
Enc8 = CC 0 23

I tried to set a new feedback mode and indicated channel 0.
I tried to point to 8 rings of values ​ ​ from 9 to 16, but this did not help.
Then I indicated values similar to my pens. That is, from 16 to 23. But that didn't help either. The rings don't work. LEDs on rings are not turned on at all.

I'll send you an example of my controller card.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Ri...ew?usp=sharing
Old 11-05-2021, 01:53 PM   #111
istominmusic

Quote:
Hi istominmusic,

Cheers,
L.
My "Smatr Knob Data" folder)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FdF...ew?usp=sharing
Old 11-05-2021, 02:04 PM   #112
lb0

Quote:
Thanks - ok - are you in Mackie (MC) mode? I suspect you are as that has the encoder mappings that appear in your control map.

Can you try - still in MC mode - setting the FB outputs to:

type: CC
chan: 0
num: 16 - 23 (for encoders 1-8)
Old 11-07-2021, 06:34 AM   #113
istominmusic

Default XTouch Mini

Quote:
Thanks - ok - are you in Mackie (MC) mode? I suspect you are as that has the encoder mappings that appear in your control map.

Yes, sure. In the last message, I wrote that I did so (that the encoder and FB would have the same parameters). But it doesn't work either. Of course my controller is in MC mode.
Old 11-07-2021, 06:56 AM   #114
lb0

Quote:
Yes, sure. In the last message, I wrote that I did so (that the encoder and FB would have the same parameters). But it doesn't work either. Of course my controller is in MC mode.
Yes, but I wasn't sure if you used the XT ENC RING 2 type or CC, as the two work very differently. The CC should work for MC mode with same CC Number for feedback. But the XT ENC RING 2 should work in Standard mode, however CC numbers are different coming from and back to the XT.

I'm certain all the options are there to get it working for both MC and Standard modes, so later on I will create a bunch of control maps, for each mode, and you can try those...
Old 11-07-2021, 08:43 AM   #115
istominmusic

Default XTouch mini

Quote:
Yes, but I wasn't sure if you used the XT ENC RING 2 type or CC, as the two work very differently. The CC should work for MC mode with same CC Number for feedback. But the XT ENC RING 2 should work in Standard mode, however CC numbers are different coming from and back to the XT.

I'm certain all the options are there to get it working for both MC and Standard modes, so later on I will create a bunch of control maps, for each mode, and you can try those...

I intercepted the backlight from the CSI and was able to see what data we needed. I shot the video, and I will also write you the data of the minimum and maximum positions of the encoders for feedback:

Enc1
FB minimum:
FB = Chanel 0, F0 00 00 66 14 12 38 30 2E 30 20 20 20 20 F7
Controller General Puprose Slider 1:0, Chanel 1, Value 0, B0 10 00

FB maximum:
FB = Chanel 0, F0 00 00 66 14 12 38 31 2E 30 20 20 20 20 F7
Controller General Puprose Slider 1:127, Chanel 1, Value 127, B0 10 7F

Enc2
FB minimum:
FB = Chanel 0, F0 00 00 66 14 12 3F 30 2E 30 20 20 20 20 F7
Controller General Puprose Slider 2:0, Chanel 1, Value 0, B0 11 00

FB maximum:
FB = Chanel 0, F0 00 00 66 14 12 46 31 2E 30 20 20 20 20 F7
Controller General Puprose Slider 2:127, Chanel 1, Value 127, B0 11 7F

Enc3
FB minimum:
FB = Chanel 0, F0 00 00 66 14 12 46 30 2E 30 20 20 20 20 F7
Controller General Puprose Slider 3:0, Chanel 1, Value 0, B0 12 00

FB maximum:
FB = Chanel 0, F0 00 00 66 14 12 46 31 2E 30 20 20 20 20 F7
Controller General Puprose Slider 3:127, Chanel 1, Value 127, B0 12 7F

Enc4
FB minimum:
FB = Chanel 0, F0 00 00 66 14 12 4D 30 2E 30 20 20 20 20 F7
Controller General Puprose Slider 4:0, Chanel 1, Value 0, B0 13 00

FB maximum:
FB = Chanel 0, F0 00 00 66 14 12 4D 31 2E 30 20 20 20 20 F7
Controller General Puprose Slider 4:127, Chanel 1, Value 127, B0 13 7F

Enc5
FB minimum:
FB = Chanel 0, F0 00 00 66 14 12 54 30 2E 30 20 20 20 20 F7
Controller 20:0, Chanel 1, Value 0, B0 14 00

FB maximum:
FB = Chanel 0, F0 00 00 66 14 12 54 31 2E 30 20 20 20 20 F7
Controller 20:127, Chanel 1, Value 127, B0 14 7F

Enc6
FB minimum:
FB = Chanel 0, F0 00 00 66 14 12 5B 30 2E 30 20 20 20 20 F7
Controller 21:0, Chanel 1, Value 0, B0 15 00

FB maximum:
FB = Chanel 0, F0 00 00 66 14 12 5B 31 2E 30 20 20 20 20 F7
Controller 21:127, Chanel 1, Value 127, B0 15 7F

Enc7
FB minimum:
FB = Chanel 0, F0 00 00 66 14 12 62 30 2E 30 20 20 20 20 F7
Controller 22:0, Chanel 1, Value 0, B0 16 00

FB maximum:
FB = Chanel 0, F0 00 00 66 14 12 62 31 2E 30 20 20 20 20 F7
Controller 22:127, Chanel 1, Value 0, B0 16 7F

Enc8
FB minimum:
FB = Chanel 0, F0 00 00 66 14 12 69 30 2E 30 20 20 20 20 F7
Controller Bank Select (fine): 0, Chanel 1, Value 0, B0 20 00

FB maximum:
FB = Chanel 0, F0 00 00 66 14 12 69 31 2E 30 20 20 20 20 F7
Controller Bank Select (fine): 127, Chanel 1, Value 127, B0 20 7F

https://youtu.be/KD6umjz8M9U
Old 11-07-2021, 11:20 AM   #116
istominmusic

Default XTouch Mini

I tried many different options and found that turns out rings work on CC controllers:

Enc 1 = CC 48
Enc 2 = CC 49
Enc 3 = CC 50
Enc 4 = CC 51
Enc 5 = CC 52
Enc 6 = CC 53
Enc 7 = CC 54
Enc 8 = CC 55
If I generate CC values from 0 to 12, then I sequentially light the LED on the ring!
I'll try to change my controller card now.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:38 AM   #117
lb0

Quote:
I also want to pay attention to what I noticed - the encoder feedback goes on channel 1, but the communication for the LED ring goes on channel 0.
Thanks for the video and info. At first - the video was confusing me - as the MIDI log wasn't showing data corresponding to the movement of the encoders/sliders - but then I noticed the midi logging window wasn't scrolled to the bottom/end - so we were only looking at older midi messages.

I cannot understand why it needs any sysex data sent to update a value on the controller - at least not in this context as we are working simply with 7bit midi data - so for now - I will assume that's for something else - as I cannot work out what that's doing. If it's something to do with the setting the type of ring to display - I cannot work that out easily.

Having worked with at least 5 different controllers (2 of them XTouches, and the other 2 mcu compatible devices), I've not yet seen a need for transmitting any sysex data to update the encoder values/rings.

---

So next thing to try - it does seem that assuming the midi logger works on channels 0-15 (not 1-16), then feedback data needs to be on channel 1.

So maybe try in the control map:

FB Type: CC
FB Chan: 1
FB Num: 16 (for encoder 1)

Xtouch mini in MC mode.

If this still doesn't work - I think we should try using the XTouch mini in standard mode - Preset A - and using the FB type: XT ENC RING 2, and CC 9-16.

I believe the XT mini quick start guide does provide the midi maps for all the controls (at least in standard mode - although I think it should be similar for MC mode) - and this doesn't show any need for SysEx messaging in the feedback, and I added the XT ENC RING 2 setting just for XT mini standard mode. My main question with this mode is how to set up the control map so SK2 reads the encoder values from the controller properly. Assuming this can be done - I don't know what Mode is required for standard mode (Absolute/Relative 1/2/3).
Old 11-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #118
istominmusic

Quote:

WOW WOW WOW!
Feedback earned!!! URA!!!!
But there is one problem - this is when I download the plugin - from begins to appear and disappear. Until I touch Reaper to change my focus. This appeared when the feedback worked.

I have another very important question:
Is it possible to use combination buttons such as Shift + Rotary1, Shift + Alt + Rotary 1 in the SmartKnobs2? That is, the Alt, Shift buttons are the buttons on the controller that I assign as Shift and Alt? In CSI, this is very convenient implemented. With the same combinations, I switch the displayed data on the Ipad screen. That is, if I twist Rotary1 - I see a parameter from Rotary1. But if I press Shift + Rotary1 - I immediately see other data of this combination on the screen. I couldn't find a combination of buttons in your program setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urenOEaS1XQ
Old 11-07-2021, 12:52 PM   #119
lb0

Quote:
WOW WOW WOW!
Feedback earned!!! URA!!!!
Awesome regarding the feedback I thought I was going a bit crazy reading about sysex etc - that's not like any MCU mode I'd come across.

Quote:
But there is one problem - this is when I download the plugin - from begins to appear and disappear. Until I touch Reaper to change my focus. This appeared when the feedback worked.
Hmmm. Sorry - I'm not quite sure I understand you - I know this is a lost in translation thing. Maybe another video might help?

EDIT: Just found your video - missed that on first read.

Quote:
I have another very important question:
Is it possible to use combination buttons such as Shift + Rotary1, Shift + Alt + Rotary 1 in the SmartKnobs2? That is, the Alt, Shift buttons are the buttons on the controller that I assign as Shift and Alt? In CSI, this is very convenient implemented. With the same combinations, I switch the displayed data on the Ipad screen. That is, if I twist Rotary1 - I see a parameter from Rotary1. But if I press Shift + Rotary1 - I immediately see other data of this combination on the screen. I couldn't find a combination of buttons in your program setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urenOEaS1XQ

There are already methods in SK2 to switch the active layer - which is how SK2 allows many functions to be assigned to the same controls.

Basically - when using a plugin/track map (ie. the main layer and additional (purple) layers) - if you have a button on the controller assigned to:

[INTERNAL - Additional layers section] Toggle additional layer 1.

Then pushing that button will activate/deactivate layer 1. And if you set the button to Hold/Sustain mode - then layer 1 will be toggled on when the button is pushed, and toggled off when the button released.

---

Would you be willing to join the sk2 support server on discord? It's much easier discussing and providing support - as I can quickly post images and video's/gifs to explain what I mean - which is much harder to do on this forum.

https://discord.gg/RnBQe4gFm3
Old 11-07-2021, 01:06 PM   #120
lb0

Quote:
Regarding this problem (shown in the video). I haven't seen this behaviour before here, but would like to repeat it. The buttons you are using to add the FX - can you tell me how they are set up?

On your system - if you add an fx plugin by the built-in FX Browser dialog window - does it do the same?