Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-04-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
Patch2007
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Problems i just bought my MIDI Sport 2x2

hi i just bought my 2x2 M audio sport interface, and I seem to be able to work it with Renoise, a midi program, but i cant seem to create midi with reaper. I set up my interface with reaper in prefences, and i set it up ok, but when i click on record midi nothing comes up, no data. renoise works out ok with vsti's. but does anyone know how to create midi with a midi interface? i have the reaper version from june 28,2007 i do need to update my program.
cheers. thank you for helping

-james-
Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
flight

Not sure I can help. I'm pretty much of a newbie myself, but I'll give it a shot. Don't think your version is the problem. It sounds like you can see and enable your MIDI interface in Preferences, so that means Reaper sees it. So then what are you doing? Something like the following?

Press <ctrl>T to add a track.

Set the track input to your MIDI device by right clicking over the track VU meter and selecting MIDI Input -> (your device) -> All inputs.

Arm the track for recording and turn on the MIDI controller. Hit record and play something. The recording progress cursor moves along, but no data appears yet.

Stop the recording. When Reaper asks you if you want to save your file, say yes. This is when the MIDI data appears in the track on my system. You won't see data until you finish recording and save the file.

Any of this sound familiar?
flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
Patch2007

Default yes it is

Hi.
thank you for the reply. sorry I couldnt reply sooner. Yes that is exactly what has been happening. I think I know what has been happening maybe i never finished the recording. is the midi feature in reaper totally finished?
because maybe midi isnt totally in operation with reaper yet.
Does anyone else use midi here on reaper?
thanks

i will try what you suggested though, flight.
-James-
Old 07-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
flight

Default midi in reaper

Well, of course Reaper is a work in progress, but the MIDI functionality is definitely up and running. I use midi to record drums off a set of Yamaha electronic drums all the time. Anyway, if you haven't been saving the file after your midi session, you won't have any data to work with. Let me know if that works.
flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
TimOBrien

You must have something not set up right.

I have a MidisportUSB 2x2 to interface my old Alesis QS8.1

Works great with no problems.
TimOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #6
Patch2007

Default Midi is working now

Hi,

Yes my midi is working. I did have my 2x2 midi sport set up in prefences, I just didnt have my midi tracks configured correctly when creating a midi track. I fine tuned it and now I am using reaper as a midi program. the effects are sweet!

thanks again!

-James-
Old 11-15-2021, 07:09 PM   #7
MartinJimenez

Default can´t get no midi

Got the 6.40 version of reaper. when i go to "preferences/midi devices/outputs " and select the microsoft GS wavetable synth "enable output" I get the following message : "the following midi outputs can no be opened :microsoft GS wavetable synth "
I use midi in the same c omputer with a lot of software, what can be wrong here?
I can load any vst i via effects but I want to use the midi editing feature i nreaper to write my music ; my main problem is that I can`t write drums ; I have downloaded and installed Mt power drumkit 2 and it works but I can`t export those drum tracks as midi (so I can read them in other software such as Guitar pro, for instance)

Please help. I am a big fan of Reaper so I would love writing mu music in it
MartinJimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:31 AM   #8
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinJimenez View Post
Got the 6.40 version of reaper. when i go to "preferences/midi devices/outputs " and select the microsoft GS wavetable synth "enable output" I get the following message : "the following midi outputs can no be opened :microsoft GS wavetable synth "
I use midi in the same c omputer with a lot of software, what can be wrong here?
I can load any vst i via effects but I want to use the midi editing feature i nreaper to write my music ; my main problem is that I can`t write drums ; I have downloaded and installed Mt power drumkit 2 and it works but I can`t export those drum tracks as midi (so I can read them in other software such as Guitar pro, for instance)

Please help. I am a big fan of Reaper so I would love writing mu music in it
At the risk of sounding facetious, you can`t generate decent music via the microsoft GS synth. Probably down to Reaper making the decision not to play anything due to it`s minimum taste standard...

P.S. just kidding, but you are going to be so much happier when you get around to using some of the hundreds of free VSTi instruments that are out there. They pretty much all piss all over the MS mess.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:12 PM   #9
MartinJimenez

thanks for the answer. I use midi for the demos I give the musicians that play with me, then we play that with real instruments, all of them are used to "read "the music from guitar pro, but I don`t like writing there.
That is my problem, I would like to write midis in Reaper and then open and save those files in GP , but drums dont work
Old 11-16-2021, 04:21 PM   #10
domzy

i'm not sure why you can't do MIDI drums with MTpower, i thought it was GM compatible, what happens when you export a MIDI part you have programmed using it?

If you must use the microsoft GS synth, have you ensured that it is not being used by any other software when you open Reaper?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:32 PM   #11
MartinJimenez

when I export from MT power and I open the file from any other software (or even with windows media player) it plays it as a melodic instrument ( the regular piano sound) . In GP there is an option to import it as percussion, when I do that it opens an empty track. I have done the same process hundreds of times with midi files generated in other software without any problems.

microsoft GS synth doesn´t load in Reaper even if Reaper is the only application running.

PD. Please, How can I post a new thread ? I can`t find the option
Old 11-16-2021, 04:35 PM   #12
domzy

Quote:
when I export from MT power and I open the file from any other software (or even with windows media player) it plays it as a melodic instrument ( the regular piano sound)
sounds like you haven't programmed your drums on MIDI channel 10 in Reaper?
Old 11-16-2021, 04:50 PM   #13
MartinJimenez

Im using the Reacontrol MIDI on top of the MTpower and Ive tried assingning the MIDI bank 10 and the MIDI bus 10 and in the Route button "send to channel 10". What am I missing please ?
Old 11-16-2021, 04:52 PM   #14
domzy

is the actual data on ch 10? you can check by going in to the event list or checking the event properties.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:12 PM   #15
MartinJimenez

HERE? ( see attachment)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (40.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 11-16-2021, 05:24 PM   #16
domzy

are the actual notes on MIDI ch 10? i can't tell from your pic.
It should be easily readable in event list or event properties
Old 11-16-2021, 06:08 PM   #17
MartinJimenez

Ok , I found it (Item properties/Properties/send as channel)Thaks a lot! and finally got drum sound in windows; but no luck in GP still (which is my main goal now) . The strange thing is that it worked the first time with a simple test without configuring anything, I am comparing all the settings in that proyect with my other test and there is nothing different
Old 11-16-2021, 06:14 PM   #18
domzy

Quote:
Ok , I found it (Item properties/Properties/send as channel)
it still sounds to me like you are sending to ch10 via routing, rather than actually having the raw MIDI data on ch10?

Can you not just go to the event list and check that everything is on ch10?
(It's the button between the (lighted) drum view & the treble clef, in the top left corner of the pic you posted)

or right click on the notes and select "event properties"
Old 11-16-2021, 06:33 PM   #19
MartinJimenez

Ok , sorry I was looking for it elsewhere. I changed it and it works fine. Imported it into fruity loops and sounds ok, but not in GP , so I guess the problem is in my Guitar pro (I´ll keep running some tests). Thanks a lot for your help
Old 11-17-2021, 02:25 AM   #20
hanahana

congrats for buying the new radio..... but for the solution I have got no idea
Old 11-17-2021, 12:37 PM   #21
MartinJimenez

Thanks , I finally made it work.

didn´t get the comment about the new radio though