Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 11-11-2021, 03:23 PM   #1961
garck
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by garck View Post
Woohoo!
Except I'm on Reaper.... dang.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:37 AM   #1962
moss

Quote:
Except I'm on Reaper.... dang.
I use the Bitwig layout in Reaper as well, no problem with that.
moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #1963
garck

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
I use the Bitwig layout in Reaper as well, no problem with that.

Brilliant! Thanks!

Last edited by garck; 11-12-2021 at 01:29 PM.
garck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:03 PM   #1964
garck

Quote:
By coincidence I updated my QCOn ProX and XS to the latest Firmware last week. :-)

So, I already did the mapping for you! See attachment. There is only one issue: the F1 button cannot be remapped (it is greyed out in the editor), in case you want to report that to icon.
I'll tell them about the F1
Old 11-12-2021, 02:18 PM   #1965
garck

Quote:
Brilliant! Thanks!

Sorry, but the imap you attached just seems to default the Platform M+ back to Mackie MCU default. Perhaps the QCon software works differently.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:35 AM   #1966
moss

Quote:
Sorry, but the imap you attached just seems to default the Platform M+ back to Mackie MCU default. Perhaps the QCon software works differently.
Oops, sorry! I thought we were talking about the QCon ProX!
The file will no work for the M+. Sadly, I do not have the M+ at home, so cannot test that.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #1967
moss

DrivenByMoss 4 Reaper 15 is out!

Get it from http://mossgrabers.de
  • All devices
    • New: Vertical scroll selected tracks into view (not only in mixer).
    • New: Updated to JDK 17.
    • Fixed: There were some issues with markers.
    • Fixed: Data sent on the low-priority thread was not sent when a data refresh was requested.
  • Akai Fire
    • Fixed: Some missing settings were not documented in the manual.
  • Akai Force
    • New: SELECT + COPY - Creates a new scene.
  • Akai Force / MPC
    • New: COPY - Duplicates the selected clip and starts it.
    • New: Undo button is dimmed if undo (or redo with Shift) is not possible.
    • New: Selecting an already selected group track toggles its' expanded state.
    • New: The loop start and length is displayed and can be changed.
  • Generic Flexi
    • New: Increased number of slots to 300.
  • Komplete Kontrol Mk2
    • New: Undo button is off if undo (or redo with Shift) is not possible.
  • Launchkey Mk3
  • Launchpad Pro Mk3 / Launchkey Mk3 / Push 2
    • New: Improved auto detection depending no Linux version.
  • Maschine+, Maschine Mk2 / Mk3, Maschine Studio, Mikro Mk3
    • New: Press Swing button twice to select Arrange Loop Start mode.
    • New: Press Swing button three times to select Arrange Loop Length mode.
    • New: Multiple footswitch support (2 on Mk3 / Plus, 4 on Studio), e.g. use a Boss FS-6 with a stereo cable.
  • Maschine Jam
    • New: Multiple footswitch support, e.g. use a Boss FS-6 with a stereo cable.
  • MCU
    • New: Selecting an already selected group track toggles its' expanded state (if track navigation is set to flat).
  • Novation Remote SL, Mk I, Mk II, SLMkIII
  • OSC
  • Push
    • New: Push 1: For group tracks different characters are prefixed to show the opened state of a group track.
    • New: Push 2: Track icon shows the opened state of a group track.
    • New: Select + Tempo knob: Changes arrange loop start (combine with Shift for small changes).
    • New: Select + Position knob: Changes arrange loop length (combine with Shift for small changes).
    • New: Undo button is off if undo (or redo with Shift) is not possible.
    • New: Delete + 1st row buttons in Marker mode deletes marker.
    • New: Improved auto detection depending on Linux version.
    • Fixed: Push 1: Add Marker text was missing in marker mode and button LED was not lit.

Enjoy!
Old 11-16-2021, 07:14 AM   #1968
Niall D

Default Push 2 instalation issue

Hi and thanks soooo much!

I'm getting an error trying to setup
Windows 10
reaper 6.41

Loading device INI files from C:\Users\Carillon\AppData\Roaming\REAPER ...
C:\Users\Carillon\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\reaper-jsfx.ini not present, skipped loading.
Ableton Push 2: Starting...
Error in executing SafeRunLater.
java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "java.net.URL.toString()" because "docRoot" is null

Configuration is detecting the push 2 but the push is staying on push screen

Any help greatly appreciated!
Niall
Niall D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:52 AM   #1969
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall D View Post
Hi and thanks soooo much!

I'm getting an error trying to setup
Windows 10
reaper 6.41

Loading device INI files from C:\Users\Carillon\AppData\Roaming\REAPER ...
C:\Users\Carillon\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\reaper-jsfx.ini not present, skipped loading.
Ableton Push 2: Starting...
Error in executing SafeRunLater.
java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "java.net.URL.toString()" because "docRoot" is null

Configuration is detecting the push 2 but the push is staying on push screen

Any help greatly appreciated!
Niall
Can you please post the full exception (there should be more text with lines numbers)?
Old 11-17-2021, 01:46 AM   #1970
Niall D

Quote:
Can you please post the full exception (there should be more text with lines numbers)?
Sorry Moss. Thought the issue may have been in the first lines. There doesn't seem to be any numbering in the DrivenByMoss Console. I added them just in case
Thanks again!

1 Loading device INI files from C:\Users\Carillon\AppData\Roaming\REAPER ...
2 C:\Users\Carillon\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\reaper-jsfx.ini not present, skipped loading.
3 Ableton Push 2: Starting...
4 Error in executing SafeRunLater.
5 java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "java.net.URL.toString()" because "docRoot" is null
6 at com.kitfox.svg.SVGUniverse.loadSVG(SVGUniverse.jav a:448)
7 at com.kitfox.svg.SVGUniverse.loadSVG(SVGUniverse.jav a:432)
8 at de.mossgrabers.reaper.framework.graphics.SVGImage. <init>(SVGImage.java:116)
9 at de.mossgrabers.reaper.framework.graphics.SVGImage. lambda$getSVGImage$1(SVGImage.java:79)
10 at java.base/java.util.HashMap.computeIfAbsent(Unknown Source)
11 at de.mossgrabers.reaper.framework.graphics.SVGImage. getSVGImage(SVGImage.java:75)
12 at de.mossgrabers.reaper.framework.daw.HostImpl.loadS VG(HostImpl.java:192)
13 at de.mossgrabers.framework.daw.resource.ResourceHand ler.addSVGImage(ResourceHandler.java:86)
14 at de.mossgrabers.framework.daw.resource.ResourceHand ler.init(ResourceHandler.java:44)
15 at de.mossgrabers.framework.controller.display.Abstra ctGraphicDisplay.<init>(AbstractGraphicDisplay.jav a:106)
16 at de.mossgrabers.controller.ableton.push.controller. Push2Display.<init>(Push2Display.java:39)
17 at de.mossgrabers.controller.ableton.push.PushControl lerSetup.createSurface(PushControllerSetup.java:24 1)
18 at de.mossgrabers.framework.controller.AbstractContro llerSetup.init(AbstractControllerSetup.java:137)
19 at de.mossgrabers.reaper.controller.AbstractControlle rInstance.delayedStart(AbstractControllerInstance. java:350)
20 at de.mossgrabers.reaper.ui.utils.SafeRunLater.lambda $execute$0(SafeRunLater.java:37)
21 at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
22 at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
23 at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
24 at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
25 at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Unknow n Source)
26 at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessI mpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
27 at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
28 at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilter s(Unknown Source)
29 at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(U nknown Source)
30 at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(Unknown Source)
31 at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
32 at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
33 at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Last edited by Niall D; 11-17-2021 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:15 AM   #1971
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall D View Post
Sorry Moss. Thought the issue may have been in the first lines. There doesn't seem to be any numbering in the DrivenByMoss Console. I added them just in case
Thanks again!
Ah, seems I forgot to add the new folder icon :-(
Will be fixed...
Old 11-17-2021, 11:56 AM   #1972
Niall D

Quote:
Ah, seems I forgot to add the new folder icon :-(
Will be fixed...
Not sure I understand what to do...
I'm guessing wait for the next update release should fix my issue?

Thanks Moss!
Old 11-17-2021, 08:25 PM   #1973
pcp

Incredible, thanks so much Moss!
DBM is what got me to persist in the learning curve of switching to REAPER and I'm so glad I did. With my Push Mk1 and KK Mk1 keyboard, everything finally integrates and works like I dreamed it could.
pcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:46 AM   #1974
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcp View Post
Incredible, thanks so much Moss!
DBM is what got me to persist in the learning curve of switching to REAPER and I'm so glad I did. With my Push Mk1 and KK Mk1 keyboard, everything finally integrates and works like I dreamed it could.
Thanks! Great to hear!
Old 11-18-2021, 11:05 AM   #1975
moss

DrivenByMoss 4 Reaper 15.1 is online!

Get it from http://mossgrabers.de
  • APC40 / APC40 mkII
    • New: Left cursor + Cue Level knob: Changes arrange loop start (combine with Shift for small changes).
    • New: Right cursor + Cue Level knob: Changes arrange loop length (combine with Shift for small changes).
  • Push
    • New: Marker pages can be switched with left/right cursor key (no need to press Shift).
    • Fixed: The open folder icon was missing.

Enjoy!
Old 11-19-2021, 05:59 PM   #1976
nachbelichtet.com

Default Disabled envelopes still active on controller

Hi Moss,

First of all, thank you for your efforts that made this great tool possible. Ein dickes Dankeschön aus Bayern!

I'm running a Behringer X-Touch (8+1 faders) and I have a strange problem with Reaper 6.42 (Moss 15.1.0, Windows 10).

Once I have activated an automation envelope in Reaper, the controller keeps following this automation even if it's bypassed in Reaper. The fader in Reaper's mixer keeps its position then (not following the automation curve because it is bypassed), but the controller is still adjusting the physical fader to the values and curves of the disabled envelope.

The same is true for the pan settings or the mute automation.

Is there anything I could try?

Markus
Old 11-20-2021, 05:50 AM   #1977
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachbelichtet.com View Post
Hi Moss,

First of all, thank you for your efforts that made this great tool possible. Ein dickes Dankeschön aus Bayern!

I'm running a Behringer X-Touch (8+1 faders) and I have a strange problem with Reaper 6.42 (Moss 15.1.0, Windows 10).

Once I have activated an automation envelope in Reaper, the controller keeps following this automation even if it's bypassed in Reaper. The fader in Reaper's mixer keeps its position then (not following the automation curve because it is bypassed), but the controller is still adjusting the physical fader to the values and curves of the disabled envelope.

The same is true for the pan settings or the mute automation.

Is there anything I could try?

Markus
It is simply not implemented. Reaon is that there is no direct method in the Reaper API. To implement it, one needs to use the envelope chunks. Since I had only performance issues with chunks in the past, I stay away from them. Will add a note in the manual.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:56 PM   #1978
nachbelichtetc.com

Quote:
It is simply not implemented. Reaon is that there is no direct method in the Reaper API. To implement it, one needs to use the envelope chunks. Since I had only performance issues with chunks in the past, I stay away from them. Will add a note in the manual.
Thank you for your prompt reply! That's a pity, but I understand the problem. Maybe Cockos will take on the problem one day.

I suspect that I won't get happy with the X-Touch and Reaper and you saved me 370 Euro :-)

Markus
nachbelichtetc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:01 PM   #1979
noodlepringle

Default Troubles in plain Ubuntu 20.04

Hi there and thanks so much for this amazing driver - I've been looking for a way to easily sequence drums and have more free control as I move away from Renoise to Reaper (though if you adapted this driver to Renoise I'd probably also use it there for live improvisation).

I'm using plain Ubuntu 20.04 (not Ubuntu Studio) as I need to be able to use a few other tools that sometimes have difficulty in the niche Ubuntu Studio.

I've followed the instructions carefully a few times over now, and ensured that my Launchpad Mini mk3 isn't used as a MIDI device otherwise (disabled) in Reaper, but the moment I've added the driver, and then go to configure it, it screws up window focus and seems to have something odd going on. I saw that someone else was having this problem with Ubuntu back in this forum somewhere so I was glad it wasn't just me.

This happens whether I detect the device, or manually add it, and also when I tried just adding someone else randomly it also behaved the same, so it seems to be the driver, not the particular device.

Once this happens, I can't click any buttons, however using something like alt-F4 still closes windows and will quit Reaper if you keep pressing it. The problem persists also when you restart Reaper, until you go to the .config directory and remove the driver config from there.

At first I wondered if it was my display driver (NVidia), so I jumped back to the plain open source Nouvau driver, and also tried on another Ubuntu machine with an intel display driver, still the same behaviour.

I wondered if maybe it was the packaged java implementation that comes with the driver not playing nicely with my system, so I tried symlinking the driver to my system java directory, but of course it seems I don't have everything that it needs so the driver wouldn't run.

So I'm at a loss as to what might be happening and can't find any logs that will tell me anything. Is there a way of turning on some kind of debugging in the driver so I can extract more of what's going on? Perhaps some kind of Reaper console or something to see what might be causing these window problems?

Happy to follow any advice to get further info for you - very keen to get cracking with your driver.

Jesse
noodlepringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:55 AM   #1980
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlepringle View Post
So I'm at a loss as to what might be happening and can't find any logs that will tell me anything. Is there a way of turning on some kind of debugging in the driver so I can extract more of what's going on? Perhaps some kind of Reaper console or something to see what might be causing these window problems?

Happy to follow any advice to get further info for you - very keen to get cracking with your driver.

Jesse
Yes, there are sometime focus issues with the Java/Ubuntu combination. But from my experience it happens only when you open the DrivenByMoss window via the configuration dialog. Even this way you should be able to close the background dialogs to operate this window. Alternatively, assign opening the DBM window to a keyboard shortcut (I use Ctrl+Shift+J).

Was that your issue or is it something else I am not aware of?
Old 11-23-2021, 11:54 AM   #1981
Mukucs

Default Mac os Monterey 12.1

Hello

I have a bit of a problem.

I Tried to install DBM in mac os Monterey 12.1 and I can set up it as a control surface, then i can set up my Komplete kontrol mk1 88 , and my maschine mikro mk3 both.

But after I close Reaper in the next opening its starts to hang at "initializing main window" (right after setting up remote services)

I use the latest DrivenByMoss4Reaper-15.1.0-Macos-x86.tar.gz realese (also tried previous installations and they perform the same)

I got no crash log (or I just don't know where to find it) but if i remove reaper_drivenbymoss.dylib from the user plugins folder reaper starts

Also I found that if I choose -None- as an audio device Reaper starts, and I can use DBM too without any problem (I just have to set my real audio device and don't forget to set it back to none when i quit Reaper)

I hope it's enough info to start with..

I also have an other problem
I use the Komplete kontrol plugin a lot but it interferes with DBM (both controlls the plugin and the daw)
I disabled all midi input-output devices for kkmk1 but its the same.

I also Tried to disable NI Services ( the host integration, and the hardver agent)
and the problem kind of goes away. I can use my KKmk1 with DBM but I can not turn my maschine into midi mode so It become useless..

am I missing something? I can't use both hardver or I have to somehow prevent the agents to access the KKmk1 without disabling them?
Mukucs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:18 PM   #1982
noodlepringle

Quote:
Yes, there are sometime focus issues with the Java/Ubuntu combination. But from my experience it happens only when you open the DrivenByMoss window via the configuration dialog. Even this way you should be able to close the background dialogs to operate this window. Alternatively, assign opening the DBM window to a keyboard shortcut (I use Ctrl+Shift+J).

Was that your issue or is it something else I am not aware of?
Unfortunately it's even when that window hasn't been opened yet if the driver is active. If I manage to back out of the window using alt-F4 and fully close Reaper, then reopen, I still cannot click or grab focus or interact using the mouse at all. If I use shortcuts to open menus, then those menus aren't drawn properly (just a shadow). I can only get it functional again by deleting the config to use the drivenbymoss driver in the reaper config files.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:48 AM   #1983
moss

Quote:
Unfortunately it's even when that window hasn't been opened yet if the driver is active. If I manage to back out of the window using alt-F4 and fully close Reaper, then reopen, I still cannot click or grab focus or interact using the mouse at all. If I use shortcuts to open menus, then those menus aren't drawn properly (just a shadow). I can only get it functional again by deleting the config to use the drivenbymoss driver in the reaper config files.
Could you maybe do a little screen recording which shows the issue? I guess this way it is a bit easier to understand.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:51 AM   #1984
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukucs View Post
Hello

I have a bit of a problem.

I Tried to install DBM in mac os Monterey 12.1 and I can set up it as a control surface, then i can set up my Komplete kontrol mk1 88 , and my maschine mikro mk3 both.

But after I close Reaper in the next opening its starts to hang at "initializing main window" (right after setting up remote services)

I use the latest DrivenByMoss4Reaper-15.1.0-Macos-x86.tar.gz realese (also tried previous installations and they perform the same)

I got no crash log (or I just don't know where to find it) but if i remove reaper_drivenbymoss.dylib from the user plugins folder reaper starts

Also I found that if I choose -None- as an audio device Reaper starts, and I can use DBM too without any problem (I just have to set my real audio device and don't forget to set it back to none when i quit Reaper)

I hope it's enough info to start with..

I also have an other problem
I use the Komplete kontrol plugin a lot but it interferes with DBM (both controlls the plugin and the daw)
I disabled all midi input-output devices for kkmk1 but its the same.

I also Tried to disable NI Services ( the host integration, and the hardver agent)
and the problem kind of goes away. I can use my KKmk1 with DBM but I can not turn my maschine into midi mode so It become useless..

am I missing something? I can't use both hardver or I have to somehow prevent the agents to access the KKmk1 without disabling them?
I am afraid there is no solution to your problem. If you want to use the Mk I implementation you need to disable the system services of NI, also it does not support controlling Komplete. It is mainly intended for Linux users.
If you need to use the NI services to run the Maschine, you can map the MkI with Generic Flexi.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:39 AM   #1985
Mukucs

Quote:
I am afraid there is no solution to your problem. If you want to use the Mk I implementation you need to disable the system services of NI, also it does not support controlling Komplete. It is mainly intended for Linux users.
If you need to use the NI services to run the Maschine, you can map the MkI with Generic Flexi.
Thank you for the answer!

unfortunatly I can not map the maschine to generic flexi couse if If i disable the the NI services I can not turn it into midi mode, and the whole midi port of maschine don't show up.

Is there any way to prevent the komplete kontrol vst or au plugin to be noticed by the services?
Or maybe removing the komplete kontrol somehow from the Ni service without disturbing the maschine?

also is there something i can do with the Reaper don't want to start correctly problem?

I tried every thing i can think of but i run into walls every way...
Old 11-24-2021, 05:44 AM   #1986
moss

Quote:
Thank you for the answer!

unfortunatly I can not map the maschine to generic flexi couse if If i disable the the NI services I can not turn it into midi mode, and the whole midi port of maschine don't show up.

Is there any way to prevent the komplete kontrol vst or au plugin to be noticed by the services?
Or maybe removing the komplete kontrol somehow from the Ni service without disturbing the maschine?

also is there something i can do with the Reaper don't want to start correctly problem?

I tried every thing i can think of but i run into walls every way...
I meant it the other way round: map the Kontrol MkI with Generic Flexi and use the Maschine with the NI services as intended.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:33 AM   #1987
Mukucs

Ohh sorry now I see that you wrote about the mk1

I'll give it a try!

and any guess why reaper won't start with moss ? Is it monterey specific problem?

(sorry to bother you that constantly )
Old 11-24-2021, 08:22 AM   #1988
moss

Quote:
Ohh sorry now I see that you wrote about the mk1

I'll give it a try!

and any guess why reaper won't start with moss ? Is it monterey specific problem?

(sorry to bother you that constantly )
Sorry, no idea. I did not yet update my test machine.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:29 PM   #1989
noodlepringle

Quote:
Could you maybe do a little screen recording which shows the issue? I guess this way it is a bit easier to understand.
Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMTLt5Da2cs

I've put some titles in to describe what's going on as well. It almost seems like the dialogue for DrivenbyMoss isn't closing properly once opened, and therefore making Reaper get funny.

This happens whether the device is plugged in or not, simply opening the dialogue makes all of this begin.

Let me know if there's more I can do

Jesse
Old 11-25-2021, 12:16 AM   #1990
Mukucs

Quote:
Sorry, no idea. I did not yet update my test machine.
Thank you! I'm happy with that I hope it's gonna be solved eventually and that's enough

Also last night I made some progress so now can use both hardvare without killing the NI services

I modified the KK audio unit plugin - renamed the kk88mk1 hardware to something else so when its get connected the plugin don't know what scripts should it run.

If I insert a KK instance in the project the screen gets darkened out
(but if i move something DBM can take back the screen control and it'll write the info to it again)
and the KKdaw midi don't get routed into the KK plugin so the controls are working only with DBM

What's even greater is that now i can turn the controller into midi mode (not just the maschine but also the KK) and the 8 knobs in that way can be assigned to anything so I can set it up for the control of the KK plugin

( the only thing I have to keep in mind that i have to have a KK plugin instance in the project otherwise I can not turn back from midi mode)

The other buttons and the main encoder and stuff still send the messages into DBM in midi mode too witch is really cool.

So the only usable stuff that's lost is the ability to browse the sounds... I can live with that

I'm really happy
Old 11-25-2021, 02:28 AM   #1991
Skijumptoes

I was trying DBM with a launchkey mini mk3 last night and the drum pads wouldn't play Kontakt instruments unless I set the track in REAPER to send everything as channel 1.

Is it possible the pads in drums mode could use the MIDI channel set on the controller? Or perhaps default to Ch.1? I find drum mode really useful for also articulation switching, as you can set the octave, unlike the standard novation custom mode which is fixed.

Also, any chance of the drum mode having a chromatic scale option? I have a few drum VST's that use C/E/F/G etc. Not an issue, but if it's easy to incorporate would be nice.

Thanks again for this amazing integration.

Last edited by Skijumptoes; 11-25-2021 at 02:34 AM.
Skijumptoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:36 AM   #1992
moss

Quote:
Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMTLt5Da2cs

I've put some titles in to describe what's going on as well. It almost seems like the dialogue for DrivenbyMoss isn't closing properly once opened, and therefore making Reaper get funny.

This happens whether the device is plugged in or not, simply opening the dialogue makes all of this begin.

Let me know if there's more I can do

Jesse
Hmm, that looks pretty weird. No idea what I could do about it, can only guess that it is an issue with the window manager. You could try to switch to Plasma Desktop, which works fine for me, e.g. see here:
https://itsfoss.com/install-kde-on-ubuntu/
Old 11-25-2021, 09:38 AM   #1993
moss

Quote:
Thank you! I'm happy with that I hope it's gonna be solved eventually and that's enough

Also last night I made some progress so now can use both hardvare without killing the NI services

I modified the KK audio unit plugin - renamed the kk88mk1 hardware to something else so when its get connected the plugin don't know what scripts should it run.

If I insert a KK instance in the project the screen gets darkened out
(but if i move something DBM can take back the screen control and it'll write the info to it again)
and the KKdaw midi don't get routed into the KK plugin so the controls are working only with DBM

What's even greater is that now i can turn the controller into midi mode (not just the maschine but also the KK) and the 8 knobs in that way can be assigned to anything so I can set it up for the control of the KK plugin

( the only thing I have to keep in mind that i have to have a KK plugin instance in the project otherwise I can not turn back from midi mode)

The other buttons and the main encoder and stuff still send the messages into DBM in midi mode too witch is really cool.

So the only usable stuff that's lost is the ability to browse the sounds... I can live with that

I'm really happy
Great!
Old 11-25-2021, 05:24 PM   #1994
noodlepringle

Quote:
Hmm, that looks pretty weird. No idea what I could do about it, can only guess that it is an issue with the window manager. You could try to switch to Plasma Desktop, which works fine for me, e.g. see here:
https://itsfoss.com/install-kde-on-ubuntu/
I've just installed xfce as the window manager with (in a terminal):

sudo apt install xubuntu-desktop

and follow the prompts to answer that you'd like the xfce desktop.

Unfortunately this is quite a change to workflow if you're using your machine for other tasks also which is a shame.

However it works perfectly now thankyou!

Is there any chance that this may be resolved at some point? I'd really love to help champion more tools like this under Linux to help people move across. I'm running workshop soon based around my punkish modular synth focused on the DIY element and making synth drums from scratch, and I'd like to include showing people how to repurpose found laptops or old computers etc that cannot run modern Windows well enough in keeping with the ethos of accessibility and affordability.

Being able to then install Reaper under plain Ubuntu with the helpful and easy standard Unity interface, and then using a supported cheap grid controller like the Launchpad mini mk3 to do complex editing and live playback/session control would be wonderful to show off.

Of course, it's not crazy to use a much lighter desktop, but I know that these things can put off new folks.

But thank you so much for this tool - I finally have a nice neat and affordable way of drum step sequencing for complex rhythms on the fly!
Old 11-26-2021, 02:41 AM   #1995
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
I was trying DBM with a launchkey mini mk3 last night and the drum pads wouldn't play Kontakt instruments unless I set the track in REAPER to send everything as channel 1.

Is it possible the pads in drums mode could use the MIDI channel set on the controller? Or perhaps default to Ch.1? I find drum mode really useful for also articulation switching, as you can set the octave, unlike the standard novation custom mode which is fixed.
That's a bit tricky since the other channels do different things with the device. So, I suggest that you simply put e.g. a "JS MIDI Tool" on each channel and set the MIDI output channel accordingly (you can save that in a Reaper template).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
Also, any chance of the drum mode having a chromatic scale option? I have a few drum VST's that use C/E/F/G etc. Not an issue, but if it's easy to incorporate would be nice.
I have no plans for that.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:42 AM   #1996
moss

Quote:
I've just installed xfce as the window manager with (in a terminal):

sudo apt install xubuntu-desktop

and follow the prompts to answer that you'd like the xfce desktop.

Unfortunately this is quite a change to workflow if you're using your machine for other tasks also which is a shame.

However it works perfectly now thankyou!
Great!

Quote:
Is there any chance that this may be resolved at some point?
I have no idea what I could do about it but maybe this gets somehow solved in the window manager.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:16 PM   #1997
noodlepringle

Quote:
Great!

I have no idea what I could do about it but maybe this gets somehow solved in the window manager.
No problem - I'll start digging to see if there's anything I can find to address this outside of Drivenbymoss. Is there anything in particular special you use to display windows? Java libraries or methods I can hunt with?

Otherwise I'm having such a great time with this - thanks so much. Mind blowing how adding the ability to sequence drums on the fly with a proper drum sequencer makes it possible to find so much more complex rhythm casually.

I have run into a couple of oddities, but I'm not sure which might relate to Reaper itself, and which might be the driver:

- if you accidentally add/delete a clip, and use the undo button on the shift menu, it'll cause a hard lock up in reaper, forcing you to kill it off (while playing usually)

- if you press a scene trigger button on the right (I'm using a launchpad mini mk3) in the scene view really close to the end of the current scene, there's a high chance of the playback head jumping outside of the active loop and rolling beyond the region

- in the poly note sequencer, I can't get it to lengthen the length of the notes like the manual says by holding the note and tapping the pad to the right

But these are still minor problems, it runs so well, and looks like a few of my friends will be jumping onto it also as it gives an amazing alternative to the Ableton Push 2 / Ableton Live route, especially for us Linux users.

Thanks again - do you have a place to donate or support your efforts?

Jesse
Old 11-28-2021, 01:59 AM   #1998
Bikestuff

Default External controller fails to load after restart of Reaper

Moin Jürgen,

for some reason the APC40 mkII on reaper is suddenly not working after a restart of Reaper.
If in Reaper I perform a "clean install" like removing device and detecting, all works fine

Akai APC40 mkII: Running.
Storing configuration...
Closing controller...
Exited.
Release resources...
Closing MIDI connections...
Akai APC40 mkII: Starting...

After restart of Reaper:

Loading device INI files from C:\Users\Obi\AppData\Roaming\REAPER ...
Midi not available.
javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Das Gerät wird bereits verwendet. Warten Sie, bis es freigegeben ist, und versuchen Sie es erneut.
at java.desktop/com.sun.media.sound.MidiOutDevice.nOpen(Native Method)
at java.desktop/com.sun.media.sound.MidiOutDevice.implOpen(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice.doOpen(Unkn own Source)
at java.desktop/com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice.open(Unknow n Source)
at de.mossgrabers.reaper.framework.midi.MidiConnectio n.setOutput(MidiConnection.java:77)
at de.mossgrabers.reaper.framework.midi.MidiAccessImp l.createOutput(MidiAccessImpl.java:76)
at de.mossgrabers.reaper.framework.midi.MidiAccessImp l.createOutput(MidiAccessImpl.java:68)
at de.mossgrabers.controller.akai.apc.APCControllerSe tup.createSurface(APCControllerSetup.java:150)
at de.mossgrabers.framework.controller.AbstractContro llerSetup.init(AbstractControllerSetup.java:137)
at de.mossgrabers.reaper.controller.AbstractControlle rInstance.delayedStart(AbstractControllerInstance. java:350)
at de.mossgrabers.reaper.ui.utils.SafeRunLater.lambda $execute$0(SafeRunLater.java:37)
at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Unknow n Source)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessI mpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilter s(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(U nknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Only way to solve is:
- powercycle on the Akai,
- remove device in DrivenbyMoss
- detect device again
- lights go on and all works fine in reaper

The are no other programs running except Google Chrome to steer my mixing console
It worked all well in the past, only reaper and Windows updates were performed on a regular base
I thougt that maybe the DrivenByMoss4Reaper 8.95 Version was incompatible, so I performed an update today.
But that didn't fix the problem.
Any idea about what's going wrong?

Windows 10 Home
Version 21H1
Build 19043.1348

Reaper:
Version 6.42
All Midi inputs/outputs on the Akai are disabled

DrivenByMoss4Reaper
Version 15.1.0
Bikestuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:59 PM   #1999
moss

Quote:
No problem - I'll start digging to see if there's anything I can find to address this outside of Drivenbymoss. Is there anything in particular special you use to display windows? Java libraries or methods I can hunt with?
It simply uses Java Swing for the UI. You could check if there are any known issues on your platform.

Quote:
- if you accidentally add/delete a clip, and use the undo button on the shift menu, it'll cause a hard lock up in reaper, forcing you to kill it off (while playing usually)
You cannot undo the creation of a clip during playback in Reaper. But I did not notice a complete lockdown while testing it. Can you give some exact steps to reproduce?

Quote:
- if you press a scene trigger button on the right (I'm using a launchpad mini mk3) in the scene view really close to the end of the current scene, there's a high chance of the playback head jumping outside of the active loop and rolling beyond the region
I am afraid there is nothing I can do about it.

Quote:
- in the poly note sequencer, I can't get it to lengthen the length of the notes like the manual says by holding the note and tapping the pad to the right
Yes, that's a bit of hit and miss with Reaper. I am afraid that is the best it gets currently.

Quote:
Thanks again - do you have a place to donate or support your efforts?
No, need to :-)
Old 11-28-2021, 03:17 PM   #2000
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikestuff View Post
Moin Jürgen,

for some reason the APC40 mkII on reaper is suddenly not working after a restart of Reaper.
If in Reaper I perform a "clean install" like removing device and detecting, all works fine

Storing configuration...
Closing controller...
Exited.
Release resources...
Closing MIDI connections...

After restart of Reaper:

Loading device INI files from C:\Users\Obi\AppData\Roaming\REAPER ...
Midi not available.

Only way to solve is:
- powercycle on the Akai,
- remove device in DrivenbyMoss
- detect device again
- lights go on and all works fine in reaper

The are no other programs running except Google Chrome to steer my mixing console
It worked all well in the past, only reaper and Windows updates were performed on a regular base
I thougt that maybe the DrivenByMoss4Reaper 8.95 Version was incompatible, so I performed an update today.
But that didn't fix the problem.
Any idea about what's going wrong?

Windows 10 Home
Version 21H1
Build 19043.1348

Reaper:
Version 6.42
All Midi inputs/outputs on the Akai are disabled

DrivenByMoss4Reaper
Version 15.1.0
Seems the MIDI ports are somehow not released when you close Reaper.
Please check again that the APC ports are disabled in the Reaper MIDI settings.
Do you have other devices registered (which might be disabled) which accidently might have the APC ports set?