Old 04-20-2019, 06:03 AM   #1
kartalex
Human being with feelings

Default Which is the best way to store script data in project?

Hi, guys!
I want my script to save its data for each track it works with. For example when I click a track, it recalls height, width of GUI, last edited notes for THIS track, etc..
We can store it in some kind of ".ini" file, but these files won't copy with project if we save it to a new folder, as a new project, with "copy all data" option.
Do tracks, items, projects, effects have some kind of "user chunk", where any data can be stored? If no, what way is the best to save this data, and not loose it when copy, resave project?
kartalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:45 AM   #2
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartalex View Post
Hi, guys!
Do tracks, items, projects, effects have some kind of "user chunk", where any data can be stored?
Support for some of that was recently added, but I think you need a prerelease build of Reaper to test those out.

For example, to store per-item custom data :

Code:
local item = reaper.GetSelectedMediaItem(0,0)
reaper.GetSetMediaItemInfo_String(item, "P_EXT:testinfo", "My custom data", true)
GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String and GetSetMediaItemTakeInfo_String (and some others) also support the P_EXT: thing. Per FX custom data isn't at the moment supported.

SetProjExtState etc have existed for a long time to handle project wide script/extension plugin settings.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
kartalex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
SetProjExtState etc have existed for a long time to handle project wide script/extension plugin settings.
Thanks, I should take a closer look at this function!
kartalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartalex View Post
Thanks, I should take a closer look at this function!
Note that SetProjExtState and the related functions are not that great for dealing with item/take/track etc specific data because they don't take into account if you've deleted or duplicated the objects the custom data is referring to.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:00 PM   #5
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Note that SetProjExtState and the related functions are not that great for dealing with item/take/track etc specific data because they don't take into account if you've deleted or duplicated the objects the custom data is referring to.
And also Project ExtState is outside the Undo History, so any changes made to it are not reverted/restored on undo/redo.
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 06:56 PM   #6
MonkeyBars

As of 6.43, Master Track P_EXT has been implemented properly and changes to its values are saved with Undo Points.
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote