Old 11-16-2021, 03:13 PM   #1
2psy
Human being with feelings

Default Configuring reaper for outboard mixing.

Hello friends. I'm new to this forum (but not to using reaper or audio mixing/engineering) so forgive me I'm posting this in the wrong forum. I did a search and can't find any threads that seem to answer this question. But if there are and I've missed them, please feel free to link them.

I'm in the process of moving a bunch of pro tools sessions to reaper. I use an analog mixing setup, with a 24 channel board, an RME Fireface, and a rack of DA converters to route each track from the computer into the mixer inputs. On pro tools, it was a simple matter of mapping each track to the corresponding output in my I/O settings.

In Reaper, however, this doesn't seem to be as straightforward. Most of the audio tracks themselves are mono and I only wish to route each one to a single mono hardware output. Now, I understand that as far as Reaper is concerned, every audio track is considered to be stereo, even if the source files are mono. However, it seems to be also treating each hardware output as stereo pairs as well, which is not very intuitive as well as inconvenient for my mixing setup. There doesn't seem to be any way to get Reaper to treat the outputs as mono and sum each individual track to each output separately. Instead, what I am finding I have to do is is assign the first two tracks to outputs 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, etc., and then hard pan each track left and right.

This solution feels hacky as well as just kind of cumbersome and awkward. I'm fine with doing it, if it's the only option, but is there a more straightforward, less fiddly approach?
2psy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:13 PM   #2
domzy

i don't think there shouldn't be any problems with assigning a track to a mono output - are you doing it via the "add new hardware output" in the routing windows for each track - is it not giving you mono options in the dropdown list?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:52 PM   #3
2psy

No, this is what shows up:
Attached Images
File Type: png reaper-output-list.png (6.0 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by 2psy; 11-16-2021 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Attached image isn't in post
Old 11-16-2021, 04:54 PM   #4
2psy

And when I select "1: Analog 1 (1) / Analog 2 (1)" for a single track, then it outputs the same signal to both the first and second channels on my board.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:57 PM   #5
domzy

and scrolling down the list doesn't give "analog 1" , "analog 2" etc.
strange
and there's is no setting in your drivers or totalMix or something that is only making stereo outs discoverable in Reaper?
Old 11-16-2021, 06:15 PM   #6
2psy

Wow I'm an idiot, they were there, I just needed to scroll much, much further down. Thanks for that, I don't think I would have ever seen it otherwise lol.

Is there a way to clean up the output list that Reaper sees? Or is that auto-generated from what the interface reports?
Old 11-16-2021, 06:19 PM   #7
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2psy View Post
Is there a way to clean up the output list that Reaper sees? Or is that auto-generated from what the interface reports?
you can customize it in preferences / audio - "channel mapping/naming"
Old 11-16-2021, 07:27 PM   #8
2psy

You are a lifesaver. Thank you so much!