Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-13-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
mixer9
Human being with feelings

Default I don't get preference saving

Help me get how preferences work? For a new project, I changed Options/Audio/Device settings and saved that project. Now all new projects and previously saved projects are opened with those settings instead of what I thought were defaults. If I figure out what my earlier default settings were, how can I keep them from being changed if I use different settings in a new project?
mixer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
mikeroephonics

Audio Device settings are global and will affect all projects. These settings are not saved with your project file (.rpp), but rather inside REAPER's configuration files.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #3
mixer9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
Audio Device settings are global and will affect all projects. These settings are not saved with your project file (.rpp), but rather inside REAPER's configuration files.
Being a newbie writing in Newbieland, I have to ask how to save the global audio device or other global settings to a default? Changing them for one project doesn't seem like all past and future projects should create a need to change these settings back.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
nicholas
Scribe

Could you give an actual example of what you would like to do? for example, do you have more than one external audio device attached to your computer, and want some projects to play thru one and some thru another? Or is it something else? Thanks.

It might be that making a second (portable) installation of REAPER is your answer. Or might not ...
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:54 PM   #5
Philbo King

A simple workaround would be to save the reaper.ini under a slightly changed name for each interface setup. (That's the file interface settings are saved in.

A windows batch file could rename it to reaper.ini then launch reaper for each setup.

Note that a lot of other things are also in this file, so this might cause chaos in remembering other settings. Or, more likely, not save them, since thet'd be overwritten by the batch files.

Probably not the best approach...

If you want to change interfaces while inside reaper, just open preferences and change which interface is selected.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:13 AM   #6
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
A simple workaround would be to save the reaper.ini under a slightly changed name for each interface setup. (That's the file interface settings are saved in.
One idea that I had was to make a separate portable installation, import settings from main installation, then change audio device prefs in the portable install.

She/He could then use one install for one device, one for the other.

A workaround perhaps, albeit a clumsy one.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
mixer9

Well, thanks all! I guess knowing what is Global vs Project will just take use. A newbie is confused by settings changes of various kinds, settings, screens, layouts, and stuff being inherited by future and saved projects. I guess I'm used to having to save any kind of settings change before it gets inherited. Thanks again.