Old 08-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #1
cymatics
Human being with feelings

Default Option for VST EQ In Monitoring Path

Does anyone know of a way to insert an EQ in the monitor path only (not in the Mix Master Fx slot). I have found that a simple Tilt EQ has done wonders for the overall balance of my mixes, but I have been inserting this in the Master Fx slot for lack of another option. If there is a way to do this ONLY in the monitoring path (and not in the signal path) I would be ecstatic. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
cymatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:40 PM   #2
Philbo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymatics View Post
Does anyone know of a way to insert an EQ in the monitor path only (not in the Mix Master Fx slot). I have found that a simple Tilt EQ has done wonders for the overall balance of my mixes, but I have been inserting this in the Master Fx slot for lack of another option. If there is a way to do this ONLY in the monitoring path (and not in the signal path) I would be ecstatic. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I use ReaVerb to load a stereo 'house curve' IR that I created with a measurement mic and Room EQ Wizard software. It is importatant to tick the ZL and LL boxes before loading the impulse file else the sound will lag the display.

Note that an EQ in the monitor chain does not affect what gets rendered or otherwise exported; it only affects what is coming out of the PC audio interface.

For example, if you insert a tilt EQ with the highs boosted and lows cut, you might compensate by getting mixes with excessive bass. It's always best to keep the system response as flat as possible (which is the purpose of a House Curve).

Last edited by Philbo King; 08-12-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #3
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymatics View Post
View menu : Monitoring FX.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
cymatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Conway View Post
View menu : Monitoring FX.
That's it! Thank you!
cymatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #5
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
I use ReaVerb to load a stereo 'house curve' IR that I created with a measurement mic and Room EQ Wizard software. It is importatant to tick the ZL and LL boxes before loading the impulse file else the sound will lag the display.

Note that an EQ in the monitor chain does not affect what gets rendered or otherwise exported; it only affects what is coming out of the PC audio interface.

For example, if you insert a tilt EQ with the highs boosted and lows cut, you might compensate by getting mixes with excessive bass. It's always best to keep the system response as flat as possible (which is the purpose of a House Curve).
I tried to do this and there was incredible latency and crippled playback. What did I do wrong?
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
I tried to do this and there was incredible latency and crippled playback. What did I do wrong?
Check the ZL and LL settings
Old 08-14-2020, 01:11 PM   #7
Philbo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post

Click the ZL and LL tickboxes before loading the IR file.