Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #81
Funkybot
Human being with feelings

Looks fantastic. I agree that a meter next to the slider would make a lot of sense rather than a short one up top. I'd personally also like to see some db indicators on the notches under the volume fader. Looking at that, I can't tell where unity is.

Fantastic looking mixer though.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #82
timlloyd

Yep, that Imperial beginning has some very good ideas in it.

However......

duuude, it's toooo damn big!! If you work out a way of keeping the flavour of it, but cutting down the size (horizontal track count is very important imo), then you're onto a winner for sure.
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #83
zappsunzorn

LOL, now that he has gotten your attention maybe more people will look into WALTER and theming in general.

We all know that this would be impractical as a default MCP, but that does not stop it from being an option.

One thing seems certain V4 will quiet down the "Reaper is Ugly" crowd.
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #84
RuairiAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
With all the lights on:

That looks bad ass. Keep up the great work.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #85
bennisixx

you know, I'm trying to keep post to a minimum during the alpha, only replying if absolutely necessary. This is one of those times.

The imperial mixer - un- fu#$ing believable. perfect.

WT you got an insane gift man.

where is mute? btw
bennisixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #86
audioguytodd

Imperial is the best looking theme I have ever seen. Perfect for me at least.

+1 for it being the default.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #87
wizedo

Default I see

O.O !!! Great work WT.

Now I see the potential of WALTER.. even at its presumably early stage.

And the rtconfig is quite light...

Would be great to add layouts for the different sections of the "strip" (inputs - rec/monitor and automation - fx/sends) along with the full one.

Keep it up!

Ed.

P.S.
Browsing the forum I learned that the V3 alpha/beta cycle led to a final release that was much different from the initial intent. Since i think this is the same case, i hope WALTER would be able to switch predefined layouts with the use of a button on the mcp or offer definable collapse/expand areas.
wizedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #88
akoustic

awesome layout and graphic .. amazing WT

.. this may take up a ton on real estate but it looks so good.. best I have seen with just the right amount of 3d spice and colour definition.. so good to see a fresh direction.

If you continue and refine this (which I seriously hope you do), an option for large meters next to fader would be nice (lighter background behind “glass” so it doesn’t dominate the fader).. maybe try lines on the fx knobs.. a little more love to the push buttons and it’s a done.. the default theme.. Imperial Awesomeness.

Top man
Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #89
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Edit : added Imperial Mixer to post #1
Holy fuck! I've been taking my sick cat from vet to vet these last four days, worried sick. And then I see this colossal thing and suddenly, the world seems a little better.

That's awesome. I'm sure there's drool on many a keyboard over this one.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #90
EvilDragon

Best wishes for your cat, Kunda!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #91
dub3000

as mentioned earlier - i'm sure WT knows this isn't really a practical default theme, it really wouldn't work on single-monitor setups.

having said that, it looks awesome, it'd be very cool to have it included with Reaper v4.0 even if it isn't the default.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #92
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Best wishes for your cat, Kunda!
Thanks, ED. I was worried she wouldn't survive today. She's in emergency care right now. She's in good, caring hands and I'm hoping for the best. Any animal lover knows how attached we can get to our beloved pets. But my love goes to "eleven." But all kitty cats aside...

R4 is gonna kick some serious visual ass if these options are awaiting us. We can even be cocky and arrogant now, poo-poo-ing all those "inferior" looking DAWs. It'll be like belonging to a religion that God prefers over all the others.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #93
Sound asleep

Very sexy theme white tie. i like the nice analog feel about it. i would also prefer to have a VU meter next to the faders though. but also i have one other concern. i have a smaller screen as my second screen where i like to have my mixer disaplayed all the time. the thing is, i think all this glorious mixer would end up needing to be a little too small. the text would end up a little difficult to read, and i'd lose some of the beautiful detail as well. maybe it's just me with my laptop screen, or maybe it wouldn't be so bad since your layout is constructed in a nice informative way to begin with. but i think size would be one thing to try and keep in mind. idk, just food for thought, i wasn't really able to have the image fill my screen fully to get a proper test out of it really either though. very sick mixer though.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #94
Arnar

wow, that looks really really nice !
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #95
stuman

WT, the Imperial theme ROCKS!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #96
dimitar

+1 for it being the default. amazing job!
dimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #97
sightlessness

Ok Mr. White, this looks awesome.

When I said to you "Try to use NOT only gradient colors or straight", I mean, try to look it more real (for example, I love the Imperial beveling at the left, very stylish, now, if it looked more real, like something that existed in real life, that would be the kicker. I hope you know what I mean).

Other than that, this looks GREAT
Old 12-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #98
musicroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightlessness View Post
Ok Mr. White, this looks awesome.

When I said to you "Try to use NOT only gradient colors or straight", I mean, try to look it more real (for example, I love the Imperial beveling at the left, very stylish, now, if it looked more real, like something that existed in real life, that would be the kicker. I hope you know what I mean).

Other than that, this looks GREAT
Other than it project as a 3d image on my desk - this puppy looks real as anything I've seen in the software world. Love it!

_
Old 12-09-2010, 02:07 AM   #99
vocalid

I'm in love
vocalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:55 AM   #100
Sibben

Imperial mixer OMG! That's just so beautiful. With dual monitors and the mixer detached screen estate is no problem. I just love this.
Sibben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:15 AM   #101
arkima

Absolutely speechless!

Thank you for the close look at some of your works in progress - Stunning! and just so many things/elements that are just full of magic!

Imperial is definitely my favorite too

wow... how spoiled are we?!...

Btw - One thing I do really like about the new Default alpha, is the feel of it. Getting use to it - the buttons have a really nice feel..

-a

Last edited by arkima; 12-09-2010 at 03:30 AM.
arkima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:20 AM   #102
airon

Here's how easy it is to place the MCP VU meters. I'd rather have had a background in the VU meter that is almost the colour of the fader area, but Reaper doesn't let us do that yet AFAIK.

This is a ONE-LINE rtconfig.txt hack. I've left the original line in commented out.

I changed the line
Code:
set mcp.meter [11 7 14 49 0 0 0 0]
to this
Code:
set mcp.meter [74 600 8 224 0 1 0 1]
Personally I think it doesn't look so great. The meters would need to embed themselves in to the mixer panel in a much nicer fashion.

In fact I'd love to have a three-led meter plus clipping that use the proposed three-section dB-value system, with each led lighting up for a value that's used. The overlay-hack leds in the mixer would be perfect for this. The three-zone system would of course be clearer. You could read general levels at a glance if those colours were bound to a certain level and were not being interpolated.

The themezip file is outdated. Check this post for an update.

A shot of the mixer in action, with only the track strips coloured:

A shot of the mixer in action with a couple of tracks coloured too.
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/445494/...n-mixer_02.png (200kB)

Last edited by airon; 12-09-2010 at 09:35 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:50 AM   #103
Curvespace

Beautiful work WT!

I'm actually a big fan of the current default, minus a few things that are sure to get ironed out. However, I'm intrigued by the idea of using this stunning Imperial mixer at the mix stage and essentially doing away with all other windows - just the mixer and my control surface. It'd be an interesting experiment and might remix unnecessary visual distractions during mixing.

Keep up the good work and thanks for your effort and openness regarding WALTER.
Curvespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:58 AM   #104
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

*Ding ding ding* Airon wins the prize. Lots of you spotted the gap I'd so curiously and temptingly left there, but the prize is for the doing. Getting you to put any apprehensions about Walter to one side and get a feel for recognising what is "a big scary Walter job, best just for those with experience" and what is "a really simple bit of one line number poking" is the goal. Walter is only as complex as the interaction complexity of the theme, and Imperial is as dumb as a rock

Airon, I'm afraid you miss out on the bonus points that were available for making this edit a new layout (heh), but you win my undying admiration for being proactive and solving your own FR, and you get the simple FR of your choice on this theme to be implemented. Within reason, or course! Let me know.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Very much appreciated!
  • Yes, I have two giant monitors. And so should you Or, indeed, 3. 3 massive monitors. Next to another massive monitor. So, 4 massive monitors. In fact.. oh never mind...
  • You may think this would be good as the default theme, and I'm most certainly appreciative of the implied complement, but there's no way you can actually compare this, which may be superficially attractive and was done by me in one day, with the V4alpha theme, which is the work of an entire team of talented designers working in your interests since the beginning of June. You may think this is art (and if so, thanks that's super kind) but the V4alpha is Science. Trust me. Science first, some fairy dust of art if needed later.
  • Yes, other DAWs do this kind of thing as their GUIs. That's because they spend far too much time listening to their marketing department, and because they suck. We can do better, and leave things like this as optional downloads for those who want them.
  • I'll do my best to find some time to do more on Imperial, it is fun. But I do have some more important work to be getting on with
Old 12-09-2010, 04:09 AM   #105
jedstar2000

Wow mister Tie if that took one day then my mind boggles what would come of it if you spent a week on it......

.........WARNING ..........
.........FR ALERT..........

This could actually work If the independent sections (monitor , in outs , panorama, etc ) could be collapsed (toggled) to just there names...

Your work is outstanding sir
jedstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:09 AM   #106
EvilDragon

Art beats science.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:13 AM   #107
Pashkuli
Banned

White_Tie you are incredible designer, second time write this in this thread here!!!

My personal believe is that:
- maybe the real realm of a mixer is not needed on a screen with mouse pointer on it (I do not touch it with my fingers)
* if you are making it for a touch screen to be used - then OK (future is here)

- same applies to the buttons (no need for the big buttons)

- the meters are very important not to be short (they could be narrow but not short or to not be able to take all the hight of the pannel because some buttons are placed at the top or bottom of it)

Imperial is GREAT in style!
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:19 AM   #108
EvilDragon

adXok, many people use control surfaces with their DAWs, which makes visual feedback of DAW's theme very important. So yes, size matters. Also, many users have multiple monitor configurations, and have one monitor reserved for the maximized mixer screen.

This theme is "Imperial". Imperial means, grand, big, super-awesome. So it is. Not for the simple folk
Old 12-09-2010, 04:19 AM   #109
Curvespace

One thing that is interesting about this design, based as it is on hardware, is the visual weighting for the most commonly used controls is really strong. I like the large solo and arm buttons as I probably use them most during a session.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:27 AM   #110
dub3000

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your kind words. Very much appreciated!
  • Yes, I have two giant monitors. And so should you Or, indeed, 3. 3 massive monitors. Next to another massive monitor. So, 4 massive monitors. In fact.. oh never mind...
  • You may think this would be good as the default theme, and I'm most certainly appreciative of the implied complement, but there's no way you can actually compare this, which may be superficially attractive and was done by me in one day, with the V4alpha theme, which is the work of an entire team of talented designers working in your interests since the beginning of June. You may think this is art (and if so, thanks that's super kind) but the V4alpha is Science. Trust me. Science first, some fairy dust of art if needed later.
  • Yes, other DAWs do this kind of thing as their GUIs. That's because they spend far too much time listening to their marketing department, and because they suck. We can do better, and leave things like this as optional downloads for those who want them.
  • I'll do my best to find some time to do more on Imperial, it is fun. But I do have some more important work to be getting on with
The only problem I can see with Imperial is that it makes the other two layouts you posted in this thread look less impressive.

But yes. I'm on a single monitor setup here. It wouldn't work for me as a default (in any case, I really like the default v4 theme).
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:44 AM   #111
susbemol

Flipping heck, White Tie!!! We all know how incredible your talent is and this is just another example of it.

Hope you get lots more time to carry on working on your "experiments".
susbemol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:01 AM   #112
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvespace
I'm intrigued by the idea of using this stunning Imperial mixer at the mix stage and essentially doing away with all other windows - just the mixer and my control surface. It'd be an interesting experiment and might remix unnecessary visual distractions during mixing
PRECISELY, when mix time comes I don't even want to see the TCP, as I might be distracted and lured into "the really last final edit, no really the last one, it will only take a sec".

I want a direct visual connection between the control surface and the console with no distractions.

I want to be transported to yesteryear, a magical time when you judiciously cut 2" tape with razor blades and listened with your ears instead of your eyes.

With Imperial taking up both 24" monitors, there's just the tune, the console (plus surface) and the sound.

That is heaven to me !!

Thanks again WT, you ROCK !!!
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:05 AM   #113
pc999

Just WOW.

In times like this I almost go back in my refusing to learn how to code.
________
Reasons To Vaporize

Last edited by pc999; 08-22-2011 at 05:00 PM.
pc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:09 AM   #114
griz lee

I'm completely impressed Mr Tie.

It even says 'CUT' on the mute switches. Yay. How nice to see that again after all these years.

That's really going to rock.

If not a default theme (I agree with you on that) it really should come with Reaper distribution, not as an option download, no?

Fantastico.
griz lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:20 AM   #115
Curvespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
PRECISELY, when mix time comes I don't even want to see the TCP, as I might be distracted and lured into "the really last final edit, no really the last one, it will only take a sec".
Then it's a done deal. Let me know how you get on
Old 12-09-2010, 05:23 AM   #116
kindafishy

Another vote to make Imperial the v4 default!!!

Best theme I have ever seen on any DAW. Period.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #117
Amberience

It's quite nice. I had a few thoughts though. I don't know if they're possible, and maybe I am a douche for mentioning them. But:

The track colour indicators seem to only fill the back of the text box in the mixer. It would be better I feel if the colour filled the entire block where the text is, without the grey border. It looks a little hard on the eyes currently.

The 'meter bridge' looks kind of disconnected from the rest of the track layout. Maybe there is a better way to visually represent the vertical connection between the tracks and the metering?

Not too clear what the "source" button does?

Cut should be 'mute' in my opinion.

Now it's not all doom and gloom - I'm loving the SOLO buttons, they look reeeeeeeaaallly good!
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:43 AM   #118
wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitar View Post
+1 for it being the default. amazing job!
what he said.
very easy on the eye.
Well done, looks stunning.
wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:46 AM   #119
SoulOne82

oh...my...god! this theme is hyper-awesome!

art in its purest form. picasso would be proud of you, WT!
SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:48 AM   #120
vidalsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Here's how easy it is to place the MCP VU meters. I'd rather have had a background in the VU meter that is almost the colour of the fader area, but Reaper doesn't let us do that yet AFAIK.

This is a ONE-LINE rtconfig.txt hack. I've left the original line in commented out.

I changed the line
Code:
set mcp.meter [11 7 14 49 0 0 0 0]
to this
Code:
set mcp.meter [74 600 8 224 0 1 0 1]
Personally I think it doesn't look so great. The meters would need to embed themselves in to the mixer panel in a much nicer fashion.

In fact I'd love to have a three-led meter plus clipping that use the proposed three-section dB-value system, with each led lighting up for a value that's used. The overlay-hack leds in the mixer would be perfect for this. The three-zone system would of course be clearer. You could read general levels at a glance if those colours were bound to a certain level and were not being interpolated.

The themezip file : https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/445493/...ReaperThemeZip

A shot of the mixer in action, with only the track strips coloured:

A shot of the mixer in action with a couple of tracks coloured too.
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/445494/...n-mixer_02.png (200kB)
WOW WOW WOW!!!

cheers...
vidalsh is offline   Reply With Quote