Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 03-27-2011, 04:13 AM   #121
KevinW
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
Mine is completely unusable, when selected everything is black? Am I missing a setting somewhere? Same goes for the MCP slots:

I had an identical display for the MCP fx text (text colors making it unreadable), when I had installed the alpha over a prior portable installation that had several themes in the ColorThemes folder, including some that are packed and some that are unpacked.

When I UNPACKED the Default_4.0.ReaperThemeZip file, and point REAPER to the unpacked version, all is well.

When I install the alpha in a completely new directory (i.e., treat it as a completely independent portable install, the theme displays fine even in its packed state.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:19 AM   #122
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=375 (Hide mouse-pointer on all mouse drag actions)
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1005 (User definable mouse speed setting for normal and fine tune modes)

Voted for those a long time ago.

The pan and width knobs have me the most concerned, but some fine tuning of the default settings for both the knobs and the faders and a little flexiblity will help users get what they want.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:50 AM   #123
airon

Concerning toolbars btw, I made this a couple of months ago.

It really just illustrates the different sizes that toolbar buttons could have, with the varied text size, colour and style, different background images or just plain colours with a rectangle border.

The automation stuff is not important right now. And this has little to do with the state of the current theme, so skip over this White Tie.

airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #124
DeathByGuitar

Forgive me if this sounds really stupid, but I love GUI's that have glowing button states. The current theme is certainly off to a good start. I think the pressed button states for play and record look pretty cool so far. I think all the glossy-shinnyness of today's smart phone OS's have made me extremely biased. I'd kill if someone made Reaper look like Nokia's Maemo 5

Also, I think it'd be great if the record-arm buttons flashed when they're active. It makes it so much easier to discern which tracks are record-enabled or not, especially when I'm staring at the same screen for extended periods of time.
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:21 AM   #125
VVV

In all theme, when the track panel is tinted, you can't see clearly which track is selected. Is it possible with Walter to highlight the track number?
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #126
Tomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
I had an identical display for the MCP fx text (text colors making it unreadable)
Yeah, I installed on my home computer, which had no alphas, and it all looked good. Actually, after using the theme now for a few hours, it all looks really great.

The toolbar icon/buttons are hard to distinguish between ON vs OFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
In all theme, when the track panel is tinted, you can't see clearly which track is selected. Is it possible with Walter to highlight the track number?
I also feel this way, but making the background not tinted and making the track name/label tinted is one solution that may work for you.
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #127
Evan

The VU meters are getting messed up when I set a track to multi-channel (e.g. 8 or 16 stereo outs). This happens with other themes as well, maybe an incomplete WALTER feature?
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #128
plamuk

v4 default theme is AWESOME. however, in VERTICAL tcp track panel view, when you add an FX control knob and then resize the track height smaller, the PAN knob gets placed overtop the FX control knob.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #129
clickonce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broman View Post
Yeah the icons may be a little too detailed for fast recognition in general (as nice as they are).
I completely agree... It took me a while to make sense of them. Just a lot of noise there. The lock icon for example.. v3 has an image of a lock. I got that.. makes sense. v4 has a lock and 3 checkboxes to the right, two of which are checked. What are those checkboxes supposed to mean? Made no sense to me.

3 vertical lines is plenty to indicate grid lines. v3 got it right. Why add more to it?

Undo/redo .. v3 has a back and forward arrow. Makes sense. v4 enhanced this with a checkbox on one and an X on the other. Again, I scratch my head.

The v3 icons were simple and clear.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:50 AM   #130
typewriter

Default Actions & Icons

Since not every action has a corresponding icon (yet...) I would suggest to make the "text only"-buttons at least twice as wide as they are right now.

Right now it is sometimes impossible to read what is written on the button.
typewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #131
Mr. Green

Quote:
I had an identical display for the MCP fx text (text colors making it unreadable), when I had installed the alpha over a prior portable installation that had several themes in the ColorThemes folder, including some that are packed and some that are unpacked.

When I UNPACKED the Default_4.0.ReaperThemeZip file, and point REAPER to the unpacked version, all is well.

When I install the alpha in a completely new directory (i.e., treat it as a completely independent portable install, the theme displays fine even in its packed state.
This worked for me.
Mr. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #132
matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I like the knobs a whole lot more for pan. They're just not that easy to read, but I find them much easier to use.

How about making them less sensitive to mouse motion. They're very fast at the moment.
I still don't get this point of view. Not to belabor the point, but how can an element that doesn't track mouse movement and direction directly be easier? It requires retraining. Sure, maybe you've accomplished that, but it certainly can't be said that it was easier before that occurred...
matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #133
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Work fine with the RADO V4 Icones... ok, sorry...
Old 03-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #134
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by matic View Post
I still don't get this point of view. Not to belabor the point, but how can an element that doesn't track mouse movement and direction directly be easier? It requires retraining. Sure, maybe you've accomplished that, but it certainly can't be said that it was easier before that occurred...
Up/down movement with hidden mouse pointer is much better than left/right movement.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:30 AM   #135
Amberience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Up/down movement with hidden mouse pointer is much better than left/right movement.
2000% disagree
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:36 AM   #136
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience View Post
2000% disagree
I disagree with your disagreement and add another +2000 to take that to 0 and even Dstruct's point, though I may add some to take it up, who knows.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:00 AM   #137
spikemullings

Sorry if mentioned already but is the team committed to the centering in the enlarged TCP thing? I had thought perhaps you were not, but it's here again in this theme version. FWIW I prefer the previous V3 behaviour.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #138
VVV

The default theme is already great but in my opinion would be killer with TCP an MCP all black.

There is still the windows white background problem but black unity woud be so stylish
Old 04-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #139
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikemullings View Post
Sorry if mentioned already but is the team committed to the centering in the enlarged TCP thing? I had thought perhaps you were not, but it's here again in this theme version. FWIW I prefer the previous V3 behaviour.
That's about the only major thing for me too and a few other new guys.

I can see the use in it and maybe I just need to get use to it
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #140
WyattRice

Default Media Items Dark

I do like how the new theme looks, and I do agree with White Tie on the media item being dark when selected, and light when it's not, but the current selected item looks too dark IMHO, and it's hard to see fade lines and media cues. Here's a pic below with a fade and cue in the item.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #141
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattRice View Post
I do like how the new theme looks, and I do agree with White Tie on the media item being dark when selected, and light when it's not, but the current selected item looks too dark IMHO, and it's hard to see fade lines and media cues. Here's a pic below with a fade and cue in the item.

I don't mind this I think having them have a white line at the top of them would help though.

The time selection needs a new blend mode as it gets lost easily. some kind of mild invert.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #142
bennisixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
That's about the only major thing for me too and a few other new guys.

I can see the use in it and maybe I just need to get use to it
nah, what is the use again? Its hideous(sorry wt)from an otherwise great presentation.
bennisixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #143
bennisixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattRice View Post

how about the zero crossing line be red and the fade be neon green.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:10 AM   #144
Evan

Regarding the sliders vs knobs debate: there are ways to make everyone happy. It requires some FRs, so just mentioning briefly that e.g. the freeware Synth1 pops-up a slider when adjusting a knob. It works great, with all the space-saving of a knob, and the adjustment benefits of a slider.

Point being? We shouldn't banish knobs because they offer significant screen estate benefits. We should -instead- love them, embrace them... AND organize an improvement plan with the devs to make them accessible to all (incl. pen and touch users)

Regarding the mixer: I still think the minimum height is a bit on the tall side (judging on a typical laptop monitor, 768px vertical). The arrangement view definitely becomes small when the mixer is visible.

Regarding items dark when selected:

I prefer it more like this (quick mockup I did, needs more work)...

In short I like --> Selected = brighter. Selected = strong(er) border in items.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #145
WyattRice

Would it be hard to implement different layouts based on screen size?

Laptop size
Medium monitor
Large monitor
Dual Monitor = Imperial
Old 04-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #146
EvilDragon

I have a suggestion regarding mixer pan layout:

When track pan is set to "dual pan", the knobs shouldn't be one below another, they should be one NEXT to another - L, then R.

Because it makes sense.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #147
VVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post

I prefer it more like this (quick mockup I did, needs more work)...

In short I like --> Selected = brighter. Selected = strong(er) border in items.
Nice!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #148
moonfiremusic

I know there's already an action to hide the docker (Alt-D), but could you guys add a button for this?
I think it should ideally be placed in the transport bar, between Rate and Selection... a box with an arrow pointing down or something.
That could be useful if you don't want to use the keyboard. Of course, if this proves useful to the public
moonfiremusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:54 AM   #149
Billy M

Default Item Buttons

Great default theme as always, WT! The only nitpicks i have are the aforementioned <too dark> item selection and the item buttons are too light and can be hard to see.

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks
Billy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #150
timlloyd

You know, I've been using my own half-finished theme for a while and I just flipped over to the current beta default ...

niice - I'm really liking it - it's looking excellent and the tcp layouts are great.

It's refreshing to have a theme where everything looks well considered, balanced, flashy but not silly ... well done guys and gals, I'm a fan
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #151
bennisixx

WT and company. After playing with various themes for most of this pre release period, I finally decided to give the defauld a fair whirl.

There is some serious work going on here. Very nice.
The transparent gradient fade in on the tcp vertical layout blew me away. Little things like this all over the place.

The "shy meter" tcp layout has a bug that it drops everything down a few px when you stretch the controls out to the right. No biggie.

With the exception of the green specs on some of the toolbar buttons( I can easily live with it), I'd say its wonderful.

I just wanted to pop in and say good work.

I hope tcp fx bin inserts get walterable soon so we can have it in a layout.

Thanks again guys.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:16 AM   #152
d. gauss

any way to get ALL the MCP faders the same height? i.e. tracks AND master.
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:21 AM   #153
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
any way to get ALL the MCP faders the same height? i.e. tracks AND master.
Try <ctrl>-dragging the dividing bar. (on PC, anyway.)

Edit: The dividing bar just above the faders, that is. Not the dividing bar between the MCP and TCP.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #154
typewriter

Default Darker inserts

I really like the new default theme.

A minor suggestion would be to make the colour of the inserts / plugins buttons in the mixer a little bit darker because the (light grey) text on the (grey) buttons is quite hard to read the way it is right now. A darker / black background would solve this.
typewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #155
Ford Prefect

First of all, i like the new default theme !

Just a little thing, when arming the tracks i would prefer that the names of the tracks are not in red color because one can read them only very difficult on most of the background colors.
What`s about a small red border around the whole name-field and leaving the name itself in black or white colors to make it easier readable?

And sorry, my english isn´t so good i wish it should be
Es gibt eine Theorie,die besagt,wenn jemals irgendwer rausfindet,wozu und warum das Universum da ist,dann verschwindet es auf der Stelle und wird durch etwas noch Bizarreres und Unbegreiflicheres ersetzt. Es gibt eine andere Theorie,nach der das schon passiert ist.
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #156
mawi

Default Master track insert slots misalignment

Hope this is the right thread. This is my little trouble:
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=575
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #157
mawi

Default Show overlapping media items in lanes is not consistent

again:
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=592
also:
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=593
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:39 AM   #158
d. gauss

Quote:
Try <ctrl>-dragging the dividing bar. (on PC, anyway.)

Edit: The dividing bar just above the faders, that is. Not the dividing bar between the MCP and TCP.
hmm, no worky on this pc. no matter what/where i drag, the master fader is always taller than regular faders. am i missing something?
Old 08-03-2011, 05:51 AM   #159
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
hmm, no worky on this pc. no matter what/where i drag, the master fader is always taller than regular faders. am i missing something?
I think I misunderstood your question. I thought you were referring to the lower section of the MCP. Now I see you might actually mean just the FADERS. In which case, I'm not sure how to do it (or if it can be done) in the default theme. Since the Master doesn't have the track ID number at the bottom, the faders will be offset.

Maybe post an annotated screen shot of what you're trying to achieve, and some theming guru (not me) might be able to help.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:08 AM   #160
d. gauss

Quote:

Maybe post an annotated screen shot of what you're trying to achieve, and some theming guru (not me) might be able to help.
can't post a pic, but i thought it was pretty clear in question.

just looking for a way to have ALL faders in mcp identical in size INCLUDING the master.

i'd prefer to not have the master fader a little bit longer on top and bottom compared to track faders. considering i'll adjust the track faders a 100 times more than the master, i'd prefer the track faders to have more real estate, i.e. a longer throw. with the master fader bigger, drag/adjusting the size of all the faders ends up wasting other real estate.