Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2019, 06:08 AM   #1
frood
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 55
Default Advice on how to make the most of time when recording at home

I find myself with less and less free time to record my music these days, so i was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to make the most of the time I do have when recording. I have a large queue of songs that i would like to record (some from several years ago) so I'm not generally writing music when i do get time to play with reaper. However, i don't always feel like i'm making the best use of my time.

it's entirely my hobby, so it's not like there's someone else imposing a deadline, or that there's anyone else I'm recording with - it's all on me. does anyone else set aside specific time to record e.g. wednesday night is 'music night'?
frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
kirk1701
Human being with feelings
 
kirk1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ontario
Posts: 934
Default

Time constraints aren't exactly negative. It forces a person to make choices and stick with them.

I find that if I only concentrate on one aspect in a particular session, that works well. Say you have a few hours this evening. If you're tracking, you might just focus solely on bass. You can really dive deep if you're not thinking you need to also get on to piano or whatever.
__________________
"I've never trusted Klingons and I never will. I can never forgive them for the death of my boy."
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
TonE
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Reaper HAS send control via midi !!!
Posts: 1,932
Default

Here some ideas from Ronny Pries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mUmVlYmZbI

Thanks Ronny from here for your cool videos, not only this, in case Ronny comes here one day, throwing his Ableton out of the window, finding the ultimate software combination buzz tracker and Reaper with saike's hackey trackey, buzz tracker he uses already but with Ableton he is still on the wrong path. Ronny to Reaper, could be his first track's name with Reaper.

buzz tracker
buze
Reaper with hackey trackey
Sequetron by Phil Tipping

All must programs.

Ableton Live, program to throw out of the window
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,038
Default

On the one hand, it's not a bad boat to be in! But I feel your pain. I have a few suggestions:

Templates templates templates! Make some project/track/fx templates (whatever suites you) so that you can quickly start working.

Use your "other" free time to plan in your head. When you're driving, on the toilet, waiting in line for fast food (haha), anytime you have a moment free in your head, use it to plan your next studio session, so that you will already know what you want before you even start.

Make decisions and move on! Sometimes when we do (finally) get to work, we get stuck on one element of a project. This is a good time to exercise decisiveness and move on to the next element to keep the flow of creativity going. Of course, save save save all your iterations, just in case.

Do something else, sometimes we just aren't productive in whatever we're doing for whatever reason, so maybe jumping onto another project will resonate better in which you can be more productive with your valuable time.
__________________
https://www.kdubbproductions.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpC...2dGA3qUWBKrXQQ
i7 8700k,4.9Ghz,Win10,Reaper 5,Motu 828es,MJE Hulk 990,GAP Pre73/EQ81
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #5
TonE
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Reaper HAS send control via midi !!!
Posts: 1,932
Default

Project templates, get hardware midi controller(s), if not having already and convert your .rpp into a groovebox, see https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=226038

Then you can load project template, switch on hardware, immediately start. Like a groovebox. Reaper and js/vst replacing a real groovebox internal software and intelligence. Much more fun than clicking around with the mouse, you can always freely record and perform certain actions on the hardware, turning knobs, faders, hiting buttons, notes. Playing guitar, piano, all freely, like Vangelis or Tobias Hornberger, an ambient master.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK8FMiGKGhI

Last edited by TonE; 10-23-2019 at 04:21 PM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:04 AM   #6
frood
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
On the one hand, it's not a bad boat to be in! But I feel your pain. I have a few suggestions:

Templates templates templates! Make some project/track/fx templates (whatever suites you) so that you can quickly start working.

Use your "other" free time to plan in your head. When you're driving, on the toilet, waiting in line for fast food (haha), anytime you have a moment free in your head, use it to plan your next studio session, so that you will already know what you want before you even start.

Make decisions and move on! Sometimes when we do (finally) get to work, we get stuck on one element of a project. This is a good time to exercise decisiveness and move on to the next element to keep the flow of creativity going. Of course, save save save all your iterations, just in case.

Do something else, sometimes we just aren't productive in whatever we're doing for whatever reason, so maybe jumping onto another project will resonate better in which you can be more productive with your valuable time.
templates - that's good advice. i don't use them very much apart from some track/project templates for drums (and a few FX settings like an unnecessarily complicated vocal verb that I like). i have Reaper on a portable drive, so while I'm at the office i can probably tweak some things and set up some templates and projects so they're ready to go when i'm at home and able to record.

thanks!
frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frood View Post
templates - that's good advice. i don't use them very much apart from some track/project templates for drums (and a few FX settings like an unnecessarily complicated vocal verb that I like). i have Reaper on a portable drive, so while I'm at the office i can probably tweak some things and set up some templates and projects so they're ready to go when i'm at home and able to record.

thanks!
exactly. don't forget to setup your routing in advance, setup your track inputs, monitoring, etc. You can also set tracks to auto rec-arm when selected. Every little thing just makes it that much easier to get right to work.
__________________
https://www.kdubbproductions.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpC...2dGA3qUWBKrXQQ
i7 8700k,4.9Ghz,Win10,Reaper 5,Motu 828es,MJE Hulk 990,GAP Pre73/EQ81
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:35 PM   #8
ringing phone
Human being with feelings
 
ringing phone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 157
Default

Not sure how it can be done working a full time job paying off a lifetime of debt.
__________________
nothing to see here
ringing phone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #9
grinder
Human being with feelings
 
grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,122
Default

I find more and more that it is essential to have a target when I walk into
my studio. Have a target and move on to the next one after finishing.
Recording new work I always leave it until the next morning to listen to the work/creativity done and then make the decision to keep the new work done or bin it. I always bin if even if just a small doubt.
Then I get about creating more.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #10
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 25,068
Default

Tip: Reduce any and all "setup" duties with the goal of being able to record within 2 minutes or less of being inspired. I adopted that approach a decade or two ago and it's wonderful. I have everything within arm's reach so when it's time - it's usually a matter of the time it takes reaper to launch and maybe turn on a preamp and set the level.
__________________
Clever is not the same as good, clever is from the head, good is from the heart. -Benmont Tench
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:47 AM   #11
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 19,139
Default

Also helps to have the means to record instant stuff as it comes into your mind.
My recording habits changed forever when I bought an Olympus handheld digital recorder. Means you can hum/whistle/grunt that great melody you just thought up instantly.

Which in my case means I am forced to make the chords fit the melody rather than ending up changing the melody to fit the chords I find easy.
Absolutely changed everything.
My workflow improved hugely, my output quality not only improved but it also increased the number of new songs I finish.
__________________
"What a dick comment. I'm gonna make sure to avoid your name." Dicks other than Trump can speak????
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #12
frood
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Tip: Reduce any and all "setup" duties with the goal of being able to record within 2 minutes or less of being inspired. I adopted that approach a decade or two ago and it's wonderful. I have everything within arm's reach so when it's time - it's usually a matter of the time it takes reaper to launch and maybe turn on a preamp and set the level.
this is something that I struggle with, especially if i have put everything away (cables, mics etc) the previous time I did anything recordy. although having said that, my problem is not that i don't record things when i get inspired (I have a long list of things to record, so there's no shortage of material in one form or another), it's that I don't use the time effectively when i am recording.
frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.