Old 11-06-2019, 08:00 AM   #1
MatthewB
Human being with feelings

Smile EZ Drummer Template Set-up

Hello,
I am having a problem setting up a EZ Drummer Template. I have found some videos on YouTube would’ve helped, but having a few issues.

1. When I record a drum track, bass drum and snare, And then try and record a hi hat I cannot get them to separate so that I can mix them. They play together unless I toggle between the both recordings.

2. Is it possible to set up template so that I can separate the toms onto their own tracks.

I have attached a photo of the EZ Drummer Template I have set up.

Thank you for any and all your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0817.JPG (29.5 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by MatthewB; 11-06-2019 at 08:30 AM.
MatthewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:58 AM   #2
Dyl

Matthew,
I use EZDrummer so I might be able to help but I'm not sure I fully understand your question.
It sounds like you need to overdub hihats onto your existing kick and snare midi and then have that routed to a separate track for mixing separately?
Once you've set up your EZDrummer tracks you can create a track(s) template that will save all your settings from Reaper's Track menu.

Your image looks like you've set up Reaper to have 16 channels of MIDI.
Have you routed EZDrummer to multichannel output? Looks like it because you've named the tracks to match the channel numbers EZDrummer uses.
Have you set the EZDrummer track (the track the EZDrummer VST is sat on) in Reaper to allow midi overdub? In your image it's the "in" button just below the lit record arm symbol. Look at the input settings for midi record, choose overdub.
With these settings you should be able to record your new drum parts via a midi controller just like an overdub. The channel routing should have the hats go to it's own track that you've got named as hihats. You can then add effects there.
I'd say from experience that it's better to render your midi to audio and then add effects but that's a different topic.
Anyway, hope this helps. Shout up if I've missed the point and I will try to help if I can.

EDIT:
just looking at your question again, I can see in the image you've got two takes. If you are using overdub it just adds the midi to the original midi, no second take, so that looks like you need the midi overdub record setting on the input of the EZDrummer track. You can then mix on separate tracks like you wanted. The toms, I forgot about. Do you mean each individual tom? I've not found a way to do that in EZDrummer. EZDrummer has them routed to the one channel so you are limited there. Superior Drummer separates all the toms out and is worth the upgrade if you can afford it. Massive step up from EZDrummer but can be a bit tricky to get used to after EZDrummer.
Maybe there is an advanced way to separate midi notes in Reaper's piano roll (so each individual tom F2, G2, A2 etc) go to a separate tracks in the TCP. Never tried that but I will have a look.

Last edited by Dyl; 11-12-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Dyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Dyl

Had a look around and found a possible solution to the toms tracks question and remembered the way I've done it in the past. I no longer do this, I prefer to keep the toms together because it's less complicated.

Try this video from Kenny Gioia, he separates midi channels to individual Reaper tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tJ9pTk5VnM

I think you'd need as many instances of EZDrummer as tom tracks required but you should see from the first three minutes of this video that there is a possible solution for you.
Looks a bit bloated and may cause CPU issues but might be worth trying...

I used to render the toms out to audio as individual tracks. Solo the tom track in EZDrummer but then solo each midi note for each tom (or more accurately mute all the others) in Reaper midi editor and render that to audio. Switch to the next tom note and do the same.
Again, bit cumbersome but it works and it only requires one instance of EZDrummer. If you routinely render midi to audio it's fairly straightforward.
I don't know that either of these are the best/only solutions but I know for sure the second one works and Kenny's video certainly makes sense but I haven't tried it.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:50 AM   #4
MatthewB

Default EZ Drummer Template

Dy1,
Thanks for the information. I guess what I’m trying to achieve is To be able to record individual drum tracks/ parts within The template and then mix them to what I need. Again thank you for all your help
Old 11-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
Dyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewB View Post
Dy1,
Thanks for the information. I guess what I’m trying to achieve is To be able to record individual drum tracks/ parts within The template and then mix them to what I need. Again thank you for all your help
You can do exactly that with the midi overdub feature. Assuming we mean the same thing...
So when you say "record individual drum tracks/ parts" are you using a midi controller to tap the parts in as you record midi into Reaper?
Then when you've got the kick and/ or snare parts in, you record again and lay down the hihat part? that sort of process, building up a midi drum track one part at a time?

The Reaper track with EZDrummer holds all the parts, kick, snare, hats etc in the one midi file but the routing sends the individual sounds to each of the corresponding midi tracks below the main EZDrummer track. You don't need the midi to lay on the instrument/ part track, just keep it in the main EZDrummer track, like your image.
The overdub feature allows you to record kick, using the midi controller, then record snare over the top of it, without altering the existing kick. Then the same for hats. All three parts (in the one midi file) will be routed to the correct track ready for process, just like you require. You can then add as many fx, balance adjustments, volume tweaks etc to each of the separate tracks for each part. This is how I do it if I'm not rendering to audio. The midi is only contained in the VST track but the routing pumps it out to each individual track.
That sounds like what you are asking for, no?
Old 11-14-2019, 06:40 AM   #6
MatthewB

THAT"S IT!!!! Thank you for your help.

I have another question to ask concerning the One Shot Pad, Shaker Pad and Tambourine Pad :

How do I get them to work on my midi controller. I see that their are Midi Notes assigned in EZ Drummer but they do not work on Controller. Thank you again for all your help
Old 11-14-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
Dyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewB View Post
THAT"S IT!!!! Thank you for your help.

I have another question to ask concerning the One Shot Pad, Shaker Pad and Tambourine Pad :

How do I get them to work on my midi controller. I see that their are Midi Notes assigned in EZ Drummer but they do not work on Controller. Thank you again for all your help
BRILLIANT! Glad it's working.

Those one shot types are really tricky. I don't have a midi controller so I couldn't say how to do it for sure. I write any tambourine parts manually as it's the only one I use.
BUT there is an important issue in the way that they play. Toontrack call them future hits or something like that. If the velocity is higher than 40 then they play "in the future" ie sometime after you've pressed your controller pad/key. I've no idea why they do that but that is the way it is. Makes it really difficult to play them live. Not sure if the oneshot and shaker act exactly the same, I can't find a clear answer in the Toontrack forums.
The notes are way down the piano roll at C#-2, D-2 and D#-2. So as long as your midi controller has spare pads for those notes and you only play them lightly (less than 40 velocity, tambourine certainly) they will sound when you play them. Got to remember Reaper is an octave up so you would have to set your controller to allow for this. Sure you've got that already if you've got the rest of the kit working. Instead of C#-2 it's going to be C#-1 etc in Reaper.
I used to have an M-Audio keyboard controller and it couldn't play them properly. It broke fairly quickly so I never replaced it.

As an experiment you could try drawing in a few hits and altering the velocities to get a feel for this odd behaviour.
Can't see why your controller couldn't see the notes if you set your pads up, but the playback maybe more of a problem.
Sorry I can't be any clearer for you.