Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 11-10-2019, 09:53 PM   #1
GMDuss
Human being with feelings

Default Paste Item Create Copy of File in Project Folder Option?

Here's a request that I bet will save a ton of people some trouble.

Can we have an option in "preferences" (or some way to make a custom action) to copy media files into the project's folder when pasting an item from one project to another?

In other words, if two projects are open on separate tabs, Control-C (copying) a media item from one project and then Control-V (pasting) into another could optionally create a copy of the source file into the folder which contains the project media into which we're pasting.

If there is already a way to do this, forgive me. I constantly see folks struggling with lost / misplaced files because they don't realize that pasting an item from one project to another doesn't copy the source file, and I confess I lost one tonight, which was totally my fault. Thank God for backups...

Thanks!

Last edited by GMDuss; 11-11-2019 at 10:43 AM.
GMDuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:19 AM   #2
akademie

Interesting idea.
But, maybe, modify the thread title to something more specific for the requested feature, please.
(I went to read it in thinking about totally different by looking at the title, only to find that it is something different but also useful).
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
GMDuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Interesting idea.
But, maybe, modify the thread title to something more specific for the requested feature, please.
(I went to read it in thinking about totally different by looking at the title, only to find that it is something different but also useful).
Noted. Thanks!
GMDuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
Fabian

In the Project Bay you can right-click a file and choose Move/copy file to project media directory.

I have only recently discovered that the Project Bay is full of small gems like this, and I'm using it (the PB) more and more.

You can also do Save project as... and have it copy the files into the project folder. It works fine to overwrite the old project file with the same name, Reaper deals with that just as expected. But note that the Save project as... action copies *all* files not already in the project folder, which is not always what you want. With the Project Bay you have more control over which files get copied.