Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 10-29-2018, 05:35 PM   #1
DGTall
Human being with feelings

Default Adjustable Automation Buffer Size (For Selected Tracks)

Greetings!

The day has come to point it out for many that have not come across this problem, yet...

(And I'm glad I'm not the only one) -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=108596

I'm working on an acousmatic project in REAPER and went ahead making sounds using automation and such like so:

When suddenly, I decided it would be a good idea to increase the buffer size of the driver to spare more CPU, just in case...

However, that affected ALL of the present plugin automation (not volume or pan, since those are sample accurate) and sounds completely different from what is to be expected simply because the automation can only be processed once every X sample of the buffer size (not the case for VST3, if they implemented sample-accurate automation on the plugin).

Here are some audio examples with different buffer lengths affecting the sound that you see being automated from the image to clarify the issue: https://www.mediafire.com/file/37ut2...es%29.zip/file

Now that it's out of the way, I was thinking if it would be possible to sort this issue out by making the automation independent from the buffer size AND be able to choose which tracks/items are affected by it?

Something in the lines of FL Studio, because it's the only one I know (and I tested) that doesn't have this issue.

For now, the only solution is to either bounce the tracks on a lower buffer size or to wait and pray for VST3.

Hope this will shed some light for those that haven't experienced this yet.

Last edited by DGTall; 10-31-2018 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Tiny edits
DGTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:58 AM   #2
DGTall

The point of this, is to have consistent results regardless of buffer size.
DGTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:57 AM   #3
nofish

At least for rendering you can override the soundcard blocksize (Preferences (-> Audio) -> Rendering -> Block size to use when rendering.)

(Doesn't make this request obsolete of course, just in case you wasn't aware of this.)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:31 AM   #4
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTall View Post
I decided it would be a good idea to increase the buffer size of the driver to spare more CPU, just in case...
If this is about processing and mixing already recorded audio, that should not be necessary. Reaper has the anticipative render ahead feature that uses a larger buffer size than the audio hardware buffer size, leaving the audio driver callback to pretty much just copy the mixed audio.

However, the request to have more flexible options for what buffer sizes are used for processing the plugins, independent of the audio hardware buffer size, would still be a useful thing.

Last edited by Xenakios; 10-31-2018 at 04:48 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote