Old 05-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
Travesty
Human being with feelings

Default 14Bit CC of VST parameters using BCR2000?

Hello,

I've been reading through the forum trying to find a way to get my BCR2000 to control VSTs in 14Bit mode.

Parameter feedback would be nice, but I'm not too fussed about it, I just want higher resolution input.

I'll just be using it to control Slate Audio Virtual Mix Rack, which will be loaded onto each track, so I don't need it to change dynamically depending on focus, at least not for the time being.

OSC seems to be the only way to do it, is this true?

So I will need to translate midi to OSC, probably using PureData?

Can anyone help me get started?
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:58 AM   #2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I'll just be using it to control Slate Audio Virtual Mix Rack, which will be loaded onto each track, so I don't need it to change dynamically depending on focus, at least not for the time being.
That sounds like you *will* need to change dynamically depending on focus, or you would always be targeting the very same instance of that plug-in.
Quote:
OSC seems to be the only way to do it, is this true?
Afaik, yes, that's correct.
Quote:
So I will need to translate midi to OSC, probably using PureData?

Can anyone help me get started?
You could use many other tools apart from Pd. For example, you could also use OSCII-bot, and start out with this "MIDI2OSC-II" script, which can handle MIDI to OSC conversion for 14 bit CC pairs and (N)RPNs.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
Travesty

Hey banned, thanks for the quick reply. I wondered why all the pd talk stopped about a year ago, and then I found oscbot this morning, seems like it should do the job
Old 05-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
Travesty

I'll give that script a go and let you know how it turns out
Old 05-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Hey banned, thanks for the quick reply. I wondered why all the pd talk stopped about a year ago, and then I found oscbot this morning, seems like it should do the job
Fwiw: there's nothing wrong with using Pd - if you prefer its approach of visually patching cables between modules rather than writing a script, go for it. The main reasons why I have been using OSCII-bot rather than Pd for sharing some example setups using REAPER's OSC Control Surface feature on this forum: because it's also made by Cockos, uses the same language (EEL2) as can be used in REAPER, is light weight, and is available for free on both Windows and OS X platforms.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #6
Travesty

Yeah, that's why it appeals to me too
Old 05-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #7
Travesty

Alright, I'm confused already. I need to start by making a .reaperosc file for the bcr, right?
Old 05-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Alright, I'm confused already. I need to start by making a .reaperosc file for the bcr, right?
No, not necessarily - since you stated that you don't require feedback, you could just use the MIDI/OSC learn feature with 14-bit MIDI messages converted to OSC messages by (for example) the OSCII-bot script linked to above.

If you do require feedback, then you indeed need to use some configuration for REAPER's OSC Control Surface feature. But this only affects what OSC messages REAPER will send and/or respond to; it does not cover the conversion between OSC and MIDI, so you'll need something else for that, like an OSCII-bot script, or a Pd patch, etc.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:54 AM   #9
Travesty

Ah right, so that script will automatically translate whenever it's running?

Cool. I probably will go for feedback now I've thought about it some more. Thanks
Old 05-29-2015, 04:10 AM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Ah right, so that script will automatically translate whenever it's running?

Cool. I probably will go for feedback now I've thought about it some more. Thanks
That script linked to above will convert incoming MIDI to OSC, but it is NOT using message patterns usable with the OSC Control Surface feature.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #11
Travesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
That script linked to above will convert incoming MIDI to OSC, but it is NOT using message patterns usable with the OSC Control Surface feature.
Do you mean that this will convert 14bit values for the learn feature, but won't be suitable for feedback?

I've done some more reading, particularly your studiomix thread, and I've managed to get the bcr talking to reaper and showing up 14bit values in the log. However, although they show up in the parameter learn now, they just make the parameter value jump to zero when the knob is turned. Is this a problem in the osc2bot script?

Thanks for the help
Old 05-30-2015, 04:49 AM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Do you mean that this will convert 14bit values for the learn feature, but won't be suitable for feedback?
Right, this script will enable 'learning' bindings at 14-bit resolution, but as such, it is not suitable for feedback, as it simply converts MIDI to 'generic' OSC messages without any reference or match to the address space used by any .ReaperOSC configuration file. Imho it's also useful as a somewhat abstract example of MIDI to OSC conversion (that is not specific to REAPER or any other product), and as a 'skeleton' for more advanced / specialized scripts (it was also used as a basis for e.g. the StudioMix script discussed below).
Quote:
I've done some more reading, particularly your studiomix thread, and I've managed to get the bcr talking to reaper and showing up 14bit values in the log. However, although they show up in the parameter learn now, they just make the parameter value jump to zero when the knob is turned. Is this a problem in the osc2bot script?
The StudioMix script can indeed be quite easily adapted (as it should avoid using the code for motorized faders, and can be optimized by avoiding the use of NRPNs entirely, using 'plain' 14 bit CC pairs instead) and extended (as it doesn't use all the available encoders) for a BCR-2000. Note that I used a BCR-2000 myself exclusively for testing that script when I wrote it. There is probably still some (commented out) code in there not used for the StudioMix but for the BCR-2000. When I can afford to spent some time on this, I may try to iron out some remaining issues and create a BCR-2000 version.

It has not been written or tested with the MIDI/OSC Learn feature, though - it is intended to be used in conjunction with its corresponding .ReaperOSC configuration for REAPER's OSC Control Surface.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:21 AM   #13
Travesty

Ah I figured out why it was jumping to the start. I had the encoder set to a14,but the range was still 0-127...
Old 05-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #14
Travesty

Strange, my pc only seems to have an ip address when connected to the internet. So I can only get osc to work when it is connected. Is there a way around this?

The acceleration is much slower than I realised on the BCR when in 14bit mode, so it's looking like soft takeover will be too annoying to deal with, and I can't get the relative modes to work properly.

What I'd like to happen is for reaper to send the values for the plugin to specified cc numbers, each time the effect is focused. It seems like I can omit large amounts of the default reaperosc to get this working, but I'm not sure which bit defines each parameter, and I'm still struggling with the syntax. It looks like dir paths to me!

Is this the sort of area I should be looking in?

FX_NAME s/fx/name s/fx/@/name s/track/@/fx/@/name
FX_NUMBER s/fx/number/str s/fx/@/number/str s/track/@/fx/@/number/str
FX_BYPASS b/fx/bypass b/fx/@/bypass b/track/@/fx/@/bypass
FX_OPEN_UI b/fx/openui b/fx/@/openui b/track/@/fx/@/openui

#FX_PRESET s/fx/preset s/fx/@/preset s/track/@/fx/@/preset
#FX_PREV_PRESET t/fx/preset- t/fx/@/preset- t/track/@/fx/@/preset-
#FX_NEXT_PRESET t/fx/preset+ t/fx/@/preset+ t/track/@/fx/@/preset+

FX_PARAM_NAME s/fxparam/@/name s/fx/@/fxparam/@/name
FX_WETDRY n/fx/wetdry n/fx/@/wetdry n/track/@/fx/@/wetdry
FX_WETDRY s/fx/wetdry/str s/fx/@/wetdry/str s/track/@/fx/@/wetdry/str
FX_PARAM_VALUE n/fxparam/@/value n/fx/@/fxparam/@/value n/track/@/fx/@/fxparam/@/value
FX_PARAM_VALUE s/fxparam/@/value/str s/fx/@/fxparam/@/value/str

And does the @ symbol denote a value specified by reaper, focused track etc?
Old 06-01-2015, 02:40 AM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Strange, my pc only seems to have an ip address when connected to the internet. So I can only get osc to work when it is connected. Is there a way around this?
I can't really help you with PC networking issues. Perhaps try using "localhost" (127.0.0.1).
Quote:
The acceleration is much slower than I realised on the BCR when in 14bit mode, so it's looking like soft takeover will be too annoying to deal with, and I can't get the relative modes to work properly.
If you program the BCR-2000 using built-in editor, it doesn't even have any acceleration, afaik. Try an external editor (or manually construct a SysEx message), and for 14-bit mode, use something like this:
Code:
.resolution 96 12288 12288 18432
Quote:
What I'd like to happen is for reaper to send the values for the plugin to specified cc numbers, each time the effect is focused. It seems like I can omit large amounts of the default reaperosc to get this working, but I'm not sure which bit defines each parameter, and I'm still struggling with the syntax. It looks like dir paths to me!

Is this the sort of area I should be looking in?
Yes, especially "FX_PARAM_VALUE"; but I'd suggest starting out with the Default.ReaperOSC configuration file.
Quote:
And does the @ symbol denote a value specified by reaper, focused track etc?
It's a 'wildcard', and its usage is explained in the comments in the Default.ReaperOSC configuration file.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #16
N2NPro

Hi Travesty,
"Strange, my pc only seems to have an ip address when connected to the internet. So I can only get osc to work when it is connected. Is there a way around this?"

My procedure:

1. Instal Microsoft Loopback Adapter.

First go to:
'Device manager' & right click on computer name (at top)
'Add legacy hardware'
Press 'Next'
Choose second 'Setup manually'
Then find 'Network Adapter' & 'Next'
'Microsoft' or select the 'Loopback' adapter
Press 'Next'

The virtual loopback adapter is now configured on your System.

2. Open Microsoft Loopback Adapter. Set up for Static IP and save.

3. Disable hardware NIC.

4. Configure OSCII-bot.txt with new IP, save and start OSCII-bot.

5. Open Reaper and refresh OSC make sure your new IP is shown under "Host IP"

6. That's it, you are ready to go!!! No longer needs the Ethernet cable to work.

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm sure there will be more OSC users without internet access that will need this solution!!!

Keep up the Reapin'!!!!

N2N
N2NPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:56 AM   #17
Travesty

Thanks man, I'll give that a go