Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-11-2020, 04:16 AM   #1
ManyTracks
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper 6 and video - what does it take to import?

Hi,

I'm exporting H-264 from Premiere Pro 2020 but I'm not getting Reaper to import it.

I'm export MPEG from Premiere Pro 2020 and Reaper is importing the audio of that video fine but it's showing a green screen insteadof the video content.

QUESTION:

1. I read something about VLC - do I need to have VLC installed in order for Reaper to play back video? I rather not install to many video apps on my machine of not absolutely necessary.

2. Without VLC is video not possible in Reaper? Or what format of video should I export from Premiere Pro to make Reaper make a successful import if that video?

I'm working with both Premiere Pro 2020 and DaVinci Resolve 16 but I really prefer doing as much audio work as I can in Reaper (not only composing for picture which of course can only be done in Reaper).

I had this working in my old W7 install for Reaper 5.X but I made a new install now for W10 and Reaper 6 and don't remember how it was all set up...

Thanks for any help...

MT

Last edited by ManyTracks; 01-11-2020 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
ManyTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
solger

To add additional audio & video codec support for import/playback/export, the following things are recommended to be installed:
  1. VLC (in the same bit-version as Reaper: Reaper 64-bit: VLC 64-bit / Reaper 32-bit: VLC 32-bit)
  2. FFMPEG libraries *

* Assuming you're using Reaper 64-bit: here's a download link for the 64-bit version of the FFMPEG libraries: https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/wi...n64-shared.zip
Copy all .dll files from the bin folder inside the .zip file to the Reaper Plugins folder in the resource path (Options > Show REAPER resource path ...)

More info here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=82459

Last edited by solger; 01-11-2020 at 10:35 AM. Reason: download link added
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:58 AM   #3
ManyTracks

Thanks!

Last edited by ManyTracks; 01-11-2020 at 12:49 PM.
ManyTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyTracks View Post
"FFMPEG". Where / how do I get that etc?
As indicated in my previous post: download the ffmpeg-4.2.1-win64-shared.zip file via the link and copy the .dll files into the Plugins folder:

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger
Assuming you're using Reaper 64-bit: here's a download link for the 64-bit version of the FFMPEG libraries: https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/wi...n64-shared.zip
Copy all .dll files from the bin folder inside the .zip file to the Reaper Plugins folder in the resource path (Options > Show REAPER resource path ...)
Old 01-11-2020, 01:28 PM   #5
GameAudioRvlzzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
copy the .dll files into the Plugins folder
It should be the folder UserPlugins, not PlugIns.
GameAudioRvlzzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:07 PM   #6
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameAudioRvlzzr View Post
It should be the folder UserPlugins, not PlugIns.
In general it should be fine putting the files in either one of these two locations (UserPlugins or Plugins) because Reaper looks in both when searching for installed ffmpeg libraries.
I guess putting the .dll files into the UserPlugins folder (as mentioned in the 'Video Playback and Exporting' thread) is probably the preferred option to distinguish more easily which files were installed by the user.

As a side note: personally I prefer to keep the ffmpeg files in the Plugins folder (where the pre-installed codec files are located) and haven't had any problems so far.

Last edited by solger; 01-11-2020 at 02:13 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote