Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
Mister1234
Human being with feelings

Default Steinberg VST 3.6.10 and up in Reaper (Windows OS)

Today I learned that Steinberg decided to change the way VST plugins are packaged on the Windows platform (starting with VST version 3.6.10). Rather than being a single .dll, they are now bundled in a folder containing binaries for different bit-architectures, custom icons, and additional resources. I have tried adding some plugins in this format to Reaper, but it doesn't seem to recognize them. Has anyone used them successfully? Does Reaper even support this format yet?
Old 02-01-2019, 12:30 AM   #2
Stella645

Vst3 plugins have never been a DLL. If you can give some more details In sure someone can help. What plugins? What is inside this folder? Where have you found this information?
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:55 AM   #3
Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Vst3 plugins have never been a DLL.
Actually a Windows VST3 plug-in is a DLL, which has simply been renamed to *.vst3.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #4
Mister1234

The information comes from the documentation for the VST3 SDK. Unfortunately, it is necessary to download the entire SDK because Steinberg doesn't make the documentation available separately online. It can be downloaded from https://github.com/steinbergmedia/vst3sdk

A relevant passages from doc/vstinterfaces/vst3loc.html
Quote:
On the Windows platform a VST 3 Plug-in is organized as a bundle like package format (simple folder), its file extension is ".vst3" and has the following folder structure:

MyPlugin.vst3/Contents/Resources/ => folder can contain resource files useful for the Plug-in
MyPlugin.vst3/Contents/x86-win/MyPlugin.vst3 => folder contains the Plug-in binary (32 bit dll for the i386 architecture)
MyPlugin.vst3/Contents/x86_64-win/MyPlugin.vst3 => folder contains the Plug-in binary (64 bit dll for the x86_64 architecture)
MyPlugin.vst3/Contents/arm-win/MyPlugin.vst3 => Proposal: folder contains the Plug-in binary (32 bit dll for the arm architecture)
MyPlugin.vst3/Contents/arm_64-win/MyPlugin.vst3 => Proposal: folder contains the Plug-in binary (64 bit dll for the arm64 architecture)

MyPlugin.vst3/desktop.ini => used to set custom icon in Windows Explorer
MyPlugin.vst3/Plugin.ico => customized Plug-in icon

In previous SDK's the VST 3 Plug-in was defined as a single dll file with the vst3 extension. This is deprecated since VST 3.6.10.

The file desktop.ini should contain:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconResource=Plugin.ico,0

and you should then change their attributes with this command line (s for system to make sure that Windows will use it for the folder/bundle, r for read-only and h for hidden (optional)):

attrib +s +r +h desktop.ini
attrib +r +h Plugin.ico
Old 02-01-2019, 11:20 AM   #5
Stella645

But as far as the user is concerned you just install the vst3 file as before. Nothing else. So have you installed some plugs you know to be this new type and if so what were they??
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #6
Mister1234

I've been distracted with other things the last few months, but I took a look at this again today. FWIW, it turns out the problem is localized to the specific plugin I was trying to load, not the new vst3 structure. All the example vst3 plugins included with the Steinberg SDK are recognized by Reaper except for LegacyMIDICCOutEvent, which unfortunately is the plugin I was really interested in.