Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 05-28-2024, 09:08 AM   #401
frioventus
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alez156 View Post
However I would like to improve it by adding a fader instead of knob and the meter next to it like this:
I love the fader one! Maybe even you can make like this: https://i.imgur.com/tKAzz1a.png
frioventus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 09:54 AM   #402
Alsion

I'm really, I mean REALLY looking forward to a light version. The first screens look promising but I don't know how "finished" they are already.
E.g. the MCP: Is that already the (more or less) finished version? Or will that become lighter also (background)? Would be amazing!
Otherwise the theme would feel a bit too "mixed". IMHO. A bit bright, a bit dark but all in all not on one side.
Alsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 11:22 AM   #403
twarch

Current looks better but I prefer faders over rotary knobs so my choice is the new idea too.
twarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 11:23 AM   #404
twarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by frioventus View Post
I love the fader one! Maybe even you can make like this: https://i.imgur.com/tKAzz1a.png
Looks good, great idea !
twarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 12:58 PM   #405
Alez156

Quote:
Originally Posted by frioventus View Post
I would love this! But I don't think it's possible to overlap the meter with the fader. Or maybe it is? I don't remember a theme doing that 🤔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsion View Post
I'm really, I mean REALLY looking forward to a light version. The first screens look promising but I don't know how "finished" they are already.
E.g. the MCP: Is that already the (more or less) finished version? Or will that become lighter also (background)? Would be amazing!
Otherwise the theme would feel a bit too "mixed". IMHO. A bit bright, a bit dark but all in all not on one side.
Aw, sorry! Maybe I should stop calling it light theme. I guess it's more of a hybrid light(?). It's inspired by REAPER 5, Peace and Paulie theme. I made the darks brighter and found a level of white that wouldn't bee too much of a contrast between both. You can further control the brightness/contrast using the theme adjuster

I do have planned to make a true light theme like this one down the line though! Tho I think that would take a lot longer.

Thank you for your comments!
Old 05-28-2024, 05:20 PM   #406
frioventus

Quote:
I would love this! But I don't think it's possible to overlap the meter with the fader. Or maybe it is? I don't remember a theme doing that 🤔
Maybe transparent fader button might be better, the meter could be easily seen. Or like half transparan, half solid button.😓 There is a similar thing in Logic Pro but its TCP.
https://i.imgur.com/UN7wDRd.png
frioventus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 12:31 PM   #407
ceanganb

Hi, Alejandro. Your theme is amazing, it''s my current default for its legibilty, and design is so well thought of. Congratulations.

There are two thing I'd like to see, anyway.

The first is an option to hide recording and input controls in the mixer. It steals some valuable metering space for me, since I barely record anything, and the little I do is done via TCP.
The second is more contrast between active and inactive toolbar buttons. I use many buttons for my workflow is hands-free out of necessity.

Could it be that I'm overlooking something very obvioius?

Thanks, buddy.
Old 05-29-2024, 01:35 PM   #408
Alez156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceanganb View Post
Hi, Alejandro. Your theme is amazing, it''s my current default for its legibilty, and design is so well thought of. Congratulations.

There are two thing I'd like to see, anyway.

The first is an option to hide recording and input controls in the mixer. It steals some valuable metering space for me, since I barely record anything, and the little I do is done via TCP.
The second is more contrast between active and inactive toolbar buttons. I use many buttons for my workflow is hands-free out of necessity.

Could it be that I'm overlooking something very obvioius?

Thanks, buddy.
Hello! Thank you for your nice words and cool feedback! That could be an interesting mixer layout, I will think about it.

As for the toolbar icons, maybe you can swap out and use the inverted versions found here → https://www.reapertips.com/resources/icon-themes

Thank you

Btw I do agree it's not very obvious when icons are active. And I've been preferring the "WhiteBlue" icon style from the link above 🤔

I was thinking I should maybe get rid of the blues from the toolbar OFF state and only have blue when it's active. I think that'd make it more clear.
Old 05-29-2024, 10:58 PM   #409
jefftolbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Fader and narrow meter all the way.
Same here. I like that layout a lot. Beautiful work as always, Alejandro!
jefftolbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 11:30 PM   #410
Tobbe

Quote:
Hello! Thank you for your nice words and cool feedback! That could be an interesting mixer layout, I will think about it.

As for the toolbar icons, maybe you can swap out and use the inverted versions found here → https://www.reapertips.com/resources/icon-themes

Thank you

Btw I do agree it's not very obvious when icons are active. And I've been preferring the "WhiteBlue" icon style from the link above 🤔

I was thinking I should maybe get rid of the blues from the toolbar OFF state and only have blue when it's active. I think that'd make it more clear.
I done this so I see when it is active:
Old 05-29-2024, 11:35 PM   #411
timothys_monster

Quote:
Good idea!
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 04:09 AM   #412
Alez156

Default Thank you for all the ideas! 🙏

I was going to push the update soon, but I think I prefer to take some time with it. Cool ideas keep popping up and I am writing down a list of things to do! I am currently working my way through it

If you have suggestions please keep it coming 👍

btw I am tempted to also create a true light theme with all of the buttons inverted. So the theme can have a dark, hybrid and light mode. Three people have requested for it so far and I think it's fair to have!

Plus, there's an incoming rating system for items probably in the some of the next REAPER updates so hopefully I can include those in the update.

👨‍🚀 If anyone wants to follow along the progress and stuff, I'm sharing it via the reapertips discord in the #customization channel.
Old 05-30-2024, 10:11 AM   #413
Rockum

After thinking about the coloration of MIDI pitches for several years, I would like to request that you consider adopting the colors seen in this image:

The hues are sequentially spread across the spectrum with black key notes using darker colors. Here you can clearly see the contrast between natural notes and accidentals:

Each color used has a single word name. This to me works better than the default Reaper colors where you have a green, another green, a blue-green, a blue, and another blue. Note that the natural notes also have the simpler more common color names.

1) Red: A primary color at the end of the spectrum.
2) Brick: A darker, earthy red-orange.
3) Orange: A secondary color between red and yellow.
4) Brown: A darker shade, positioned between orange and yellow, more towards the orange end.
5) Yellow: A primary color.
6) Green: A secondary color between yellow and blue.
7) Teal: A darker shade of cyan, positioned between green and blue.
8) Blue: A primary color.
9) Indigo: A darker shade of blue-violet.
10) Purple: A secondary color, balanced between blue and red.
11) Plum: A darker shade of purple with a red tint.
12) Magenta: A bright, vivid color at the opposite end of the spectrum from green, between red and blue.

I still recommend the colors I suggested above, but regarding backgrounds and 3D effects, I think these three themes demonstrate some very well made combinations.

Paulie5 Light Background w/ 3D

Rado - Dark Background w/3D effect

Commala4 - Very Clear and Distinct on Dark Background

When it comes to indicating selection, I am not a huge fan of white and black boarders, but I think it is probably still better than anything that drastically changes the basic colors of the notes.
Attached Images
File Type: png 12.png (16.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: png Separate.png (15.6 KB, 17 views)
Rockum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 11:41 AM   #414
Alez156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockum View Post
After thinking about the coloration of MIDI pitches for several years, I would like to request that you consider adopting the colors seen in this image
That's super smart! I love that idea.

I did spend a day tweaking the colormap as I am not still fully convinced and I managed to get a more vibrant and bit flatter look:

Here are unselected and selected notes:

I wanna try out your idea for pitch colors!

On the topic of selected vs unselected,

I went through a lot of themes to see how people handle selected vs unselected notes and it's tricky to find something that still retains the color but clearly indicates that it's selected even when zoomed out a lot. So this darkened color with bright border is best I could get so far.

I think it's important that the selection still retains a good preview of what color you are using because that' what you see when you are writing MIDI and moving things around.

So.... maybe... I should make the unselected notes be dark and selected notes normal bright vibrant color? then they may get lost in the dark timeline. so tricky! XD
Old 05-30-2024, 12:14 PM   #415
Rockum

I like the brighter boarders for selections. I hope you like the results when you try it out. I have the resource image I was using. If you think it would be helpful, I would be glad to send it your way.

Last edited by Rockum; 05-30-2024 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-31-2024, 02:50 AM   #416
Kr15hKin

I comment "peaksedges 0" line in rtconfig.txt and got access to some settings. It seems to be really useful. Or are there reasons not to do so?
Kr15hKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 09:48 AM   #417
Alez156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockum View Post
I like the brighter boarders for selections. I hope you like the results when you try it out. I have the resource image I was using. If you think it would be helpful, I would be glad to send it your way.
I gave it a test and I do love the clear distinction from natural and sharps using color brightness.

The only thing is that the darks may blend too much with the background. Especially the CC envelopes.

Here's three levels of brightness for sharps I tried. A being the lowest and C being the highest:

I think I can add A or B as an optional file. In this case, I would rather prioritize contrast overall. And I prefer the more jumpy hue changes from the current theme.

Thank you for the ideas!
Old 05-31-2024, 09:48 AM   #418
Alez156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr15hKin View Post
I comment "peaksedges 0" line in rtconfig.txt and got access to some settings. It seems to be really useful. Or are there reasons not to do so?
It's totally okay!
Old 05-31-2024, 03:56 PM   #419
Steve Fishboy

Quote:
Here are unselected and selected notes:
In the order presented, things look nice. But in practical use, C, C# and D are way, way too similar to G#, A and A#, both selected and unselected.
Steve Fishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 05:32 PM   #420
Alez156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fishboy View Post
In the order presented, things look nice. But in practical use, C, C# and D are way, way too similar to G#, A and A#, both selected and unselected.
oh my god thank you 🙏 I don't know why I never noticed this, that is exactly what bothered me but couldn't point out what it was!
Old 06-03-2024, 07:22 PM   #421
Rockum

I have no idea if it will be to anyone else's liking, but for my own taste I am getting close... To me this is very easy to interpret. I can easily tell the pitch and the selection status of each note. I've emphasized legibility over aesthetics, but it doesn't look bad to me. The key was getting the background to be neutral. Selected notes are 3D. I think they still tweaking to improve the visibility of the velocity sliders.

Old 06-09-2024, 10:47 AM   #422
alphoc

Like fx on the right in tcp, will you consider making send on the right in future update?
alphoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 02:20 PM   #423
Rockum

Better? Thoughts?

Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM   #424
vsthem

Silly question that I should know the answer to

Where do I set the tcp to not have the names collapse like this?

https://imgur.com/a/pPQy0HE

Trying to set up a custom action with the new action to toggle tcp width, where I show/hide the Inserts and Sends in the TCP, and toggle the tcp width. But, when I drag the TCP to make it less wide, it collapses the track names.

Thanks for any help you all can offer!
vsthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:05 AM   #425
Alez156

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphoc View Post
Like fx on the right in tcp, will you consider making send on the right in future update?
Would love this! will look into it

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthem View Post
Silly question that I should know the answer to

Where do I set the tcp to not have the names collapse like this?

https://imgur.com/a/pPQy0HE

Trying to set up a custom action with the new action to toggle tcp width, where I show/hide the Inserts and Sends in the TCP, and toggle the tcp width. But, when I drag the TCP to make it less wide, it collapses the track names.

Thanks for any help you all can offer!

It's very valid question! I ran into this issue myself and I am afraid it's just the downside of the TCP FX mod. Even when you hide it, it will still take up space in the TCP leaving a that big gap where it's supposed to be located.

One workaround if you really wanted this would be switching to the non-modded version of the theme, maybe include that in your custom action by assigning the theme file into a SWS Resources slot. But I see you have customized the theme so the new theme would need to be customized as well XD

Wish there was a more elegant solution! I just treat the FX mod as something that will always be there ~