Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 01-13-2023, 08:44 AM   #1
sockmonkey72
Human being with feelings

Default v6.73+dev0113 - January 13 2023

v6.73+dev0113 - January 13 2023
  • * Includes feature branch: fixed lane comping
  • * Includes feature branch: shortcut import/export improvements and multiple main keyboard sections
  • * Includes feature branch: improve samplerate change behavior when loading projects
  • * Includes feature branch: VST3 re-map of parameter IDs due to restartComponent
  • * Includes feature branch: AU parameter list change notification support
  • * Includes feature branch: MIDI editor screenset improvements
  • * Includes feature branch: routing matrix/track wiring input activity indicators
  • * Includes feature branch: preview item selection for grouped tracks
  • * Includes feature branch: VST3 per-channel silence reporting compatibility option
  • * Includes feature branch: better .RfxChain media explorer and clipboard integration
  • * Includes feature branch: ReaReaRea timestretch mode
  • * Includes feature branch: GR metering as embedded UI for third-party VSTs
  • * Includes feature branch: JSFX new features and EEL2 preprocessor
  • * Includes feature branch: render dialog statistics display improvements
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • + Defaults: change snap-to-nearby-media-items to by default only snap to items on the same track as the current item
  • + MIDI split: when trimming items, chase CC/pitch/etc
  • + Media item lanes: add highlighter cursor for creating/editing comp areas
  • + Media item lanes: add mouse modifier for comp areas to move area allowing empty space between comp areas
  • + Media item lanes: add mouse modifier/action to allow editing media within comp area
  • + Media item lanes: add mouse modifier/action to re-sync media within comp area
  • + Media item lanes: change comp area display when comp goes out of sync
  • + Media item lanes: creating a comp area from a razor edit area automatically creates a new comping lane
  • + Media item lanes: display comp areas faintly when not comping
  • + Media item lanes: double-click lane button to comp into that lane
  • + Windows: better ASIO channel defaults, remember channel configuration per device
  • # Media item fixed lanes: also duplicate comp areas when duplicating lane
  • # Media item lanes: on fixed lane tracks, display button on razor edits to enter comping mode and create a comp area
  • # Media item lanes: preserve comp areas when reordering lanes
  • # Media item lanes: restore right-drag mouse modifiers to create comp areas
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 01-13-2023, 09:14 AM   #2
Vagelis

YES!!! This is an ultimately clever implementation allowing edits!

Love you even more for this devs, HUGE thanks! Off to test more.
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 09:35 AM   #3
Edgemeal

After deleting a comp area (Alt+Left click), then call Undo, some of the comp areas change...

Win10_x64
Edit Calling Undo twice tho seems to restore the comp areas correctly.

Last edited by Edgemeal; 01-13-2023 at 10:08 AM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 09:41 AM   #4
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
v6.73+dev0113 - January 13 2023[*]+ Media item lanes: add mouse modifier/action to allow editing media within comp area[*]+ Media item lanes: add mouse modifier/action to re-sync media within comp area
This is gold and very unique way to work with, may i ask if it's possible to have a switch or a small button on top left/right corner of a comp area to switch to edit mode from there? Now I 've attached it to default left click for comp area, but i preferred to have the "move comp area to lane under mouse". I know I could use another modifier like ctrl+left click to activate, but thought to share in case it could be done. Small thing though compared to the right direction it took!
Old 01-13-2023, 09:46 AM   #5
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
This is gold and very unique way to work with, may i ask if it's possible to have a switch or a small button on top left/right corner of a comp area to switch to edit mode from there? Now I 've attached it to default left click for comp area, but i preferred to have the "move comp area to lane under mouse". I know I could use another modifier like ctrl+left click to activate, but thought to share in case it could be done. Small thing though compared to the right direction it took!
Syncing the comp area is assigned to shift+control+click by default. UI furniture, as White Tie calls it, will probably be the last part of this feature to be added.

In case it's not clear, the action to sync the comp area will do different things depending on the current state of the comp area. If the comp area is normal, the action will open the comp area so that the source media can be edited. If the comp area is open for editing, the action will close it. If the comp area is out of sync, the action will force-update the comping lane to match the source media.

schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 09:49 AM   #6
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
It's assigned to shift+control+click by default. UI furniture, as White Tie calls it, will probably be the last part of this feature to be added.
Woohoo! This is going to be the best comping system in all Daws, and making the latest builds that fast just blows my mind, respect!
Old 01-13-2023, 09:55 AM   #7
Vagelis

Quote:
In case it's not clear, the action to sync the comp area will do different things depending on the current state of the comp area. If the comp area is normal, the action will open the comp area so that the source media can be edited. If the comp area is open for editing, the action will close it. If the comp area is out of sync, the action will force-update the comping lane to match the source media.

Wow didn't notice this, amaaaaazing
Old 01-13-2023, 09:56 AM   #8
Moyses

Default D

Please add the behavior of deleting already used fragments from lanes. This is great for comping double vocals. Thank You!
Moyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 10:01 AM   #9
bolgwrad

The comp right-drag is much more intuitive, thx. And the RE comp button, great.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:01 AM   #10
Gass n Klang

That looks quite powerful!
Old 01-13-2023, 10:14 AM   #11
Vagelis

When in edit mode i tried to split an item at the edges of comp area but the edit cursor is not moving when i click the markers at the edges, also if i click them to move the edit cursor it swaps back to comping. Could it be possible to not switch to comping when we click at the edge markers?

One more idea with this implementation that came to mind is if we could group a comp area from lanes or the comping lane, with the selected item on the comping lane so they could move together

Last edited by Vagelis; 01-13-2023 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:18 AM   #12
sockmonkey72

I guess I don't know what's expected here, but this is a little perplexing. I tried turning off the various auto-trim media items prefs to no avail.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:27 AM   #13
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
I guess I don't know what's expected here, but this is a little perplexing. I tried turning off the various auto-trim media items prefs to no avail.
The source media for that comp area is on the bottom lane, so the behavior is the same as if the area were dragged along the bottom lane. Perhaps the behavior would be clearer if we simply disallowed editing the comp areas on the comping lane, and required the user to edit them only on the source lane?

At all times, the comping lane is kept in sync with the source media. When the comp area hits the areas on either side, those areas are overwritten. Is the perplexing part that you think the comp area left/right edit should instead stop when the edge of the edited comp area meets the edge of a different comp area?
Old 01-13-2023, 10:31 AM   #14
Vagelis

Quote:

That makes sense, but also the opposite could be powerful in case we could group a comp area with the item in comping lane (which has the same size) and move them together without removing the rest comps or items on comping lane.

It could apply after we release the mouse like as when we move a RE and pass above items, which hides the part of the item, but the RE applies after releasing the mouse.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:32 AM   #15
sockmonkey72

Quote:
The source media for that comp area is on the bottom lane, so the behavior is the same as if the area were dragged along the bottom lane.

At all times, the comping lane is kept in sync with the source media. When the comp area hits the areas on either side, those areas are overwritten. Is the perplexing part that you think the comp area left/right edit should instead stop when the edge of the edited comp area meets the edge of a different comp area?
Some part of me expected the "occluded" regions to come back when my gesture moved through them to the other side.

Stopping the drag when I hit an existing region edge might feel better (but I would need to try it to know for sure). It would definitely prevent unintended deletion of comp areas, but my imagination isn't powerful enough to know whether it would be in the way.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:22 AM   #16
Vagelis

Old 01-13-2023, 11:42 AM   #17
Vagelis

Old 01-13-2023, 11:57 AM   #18
Vagelis

Let's say i have a part that i want to move forward in the timeline to another comp area, would it be possible when i drop an item or a RE to update the comping lane with the new element without "breaking" the comp? Maybe to comp it and switch to edit mode instead of going out of sync?

Old 01-13-2023, 12:00 PM   #19
Edgemeal

Double click a normal track (between track vu meter and Arrange) and the fixed lane "Rename Lane 1" dialog box pops up.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:13 PM   #20
Edgemeal

When "lock track controls" is enabled for a fixed lane track, double clicking comp lane button disables 'comp into this lane', but you can't re-enable 'comp into this lane' on double clicks.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:16 PM   #21
musicbynumbers

Schwa! I think you've found a great solution for this now! Thanks for your hard work so far!

I've been testing with single tracks and so far so good (apart from issues shown by others above), Off to try master/leader tracks now!
Old 01-13-2023, 12:22 PM   #22
musicbynumbers

The obvious stuff is still there to work out I guess like an option to auto crossfade on the edges of the comp areas (please consider a midi/CC action to increase/decrease the size of the crossfade) and also collapsing down to one lane after editing.

also. please consider at some point to how these comp areas should behave when moved with either the inserting of space or with regions. They ideally should move along with them
Old 01-13-2023, 12:25 PM   #23
musicbynumbers

multitrack leader/follower seems to work well so far

I did notice a small bug similar to one mentioned above that changing crossfade curves and pitching an item down (via mouse modifer) didn't update the master comp area straight away and sometimes needed me to do something else like adjust the item edge too for it to "take"
Old 01-13-2023, 12:32 PM   #24
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
I did notice a small bug similar to one mentioned above that changing crossfade curves and pitching an item down (via mouse modifer) didn't update the master comp area straight away and sometimes needed me to do something else like adjust the item edge too for it to "take"
Yeap and to add same thing happens with item volume and all take envelopes. I have to re-comp the item to show up. Also happens when in editing mode> adjust a take envelope> resync and update, but it doesn't update like this.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:33 PM   #25
bolgwrad

At all times, the comping lane is kept in sync with the source media. When the comp area hits the areas on either side, those areas are overwritten. Is the perplexing part that you think the comp area left/right edit should instead stop when the edge of the edited comp area meets the edge of a different comp area?[/QUOTE]

+1
Old 01-13-2023, 12:44 PM   #26
Vagelis

Old 01-13-2023, 01:11 PM   #27
fricia

I can only share Vangelis' excitement! You guys are amazing, pumping out these daily builds. And the current direction is indeed VERY promising. Maybe you can achieve the impossible after all and make everyone happy

I think for me one of the biggest things missing right now is being able to copy items to a specific lane.

This feels unintuitiv to me. I think the behaviour should be more like 'trim behind media items' where as long as I don't release, touched comp areas should stay as they are.

Fun little visual oditiy while recording:

Three more small things that you may already have on your list:
  • A fixed lane name wildcard in filename format for recorded files would be really cool.
  • Shortcuts to toggle comping mode on all/selected tracks
  • Shortcuts to sync/edit all comp areas on a lane/track

By the way thank you for the great work on multiple action sections. Makes us keyboard warriors really happy!
Old 01-13-2023, 01:24 PM   #28
benmiller

this short gif to show the limits of the current sync between source and comp lane. I've made a comp starting at just before the attack, if i decide to readjust the timing of the attack in the source lane then the attack disappears in the comp lane and i have to recomp/readjust my comp.

When draging a source item, wouldn't be more usefull if the comp selection on top of the item i'm dragging follow allong? effectively readjusting the comp lane? (this is at least how it works in logic for exmple)
Attached Images
File Type: gif bug1.gif (68.1 KB, 60 views)
benmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 01:27 PM   #29
benmiller

off topic but: how to you insert the gif inline and not as an attachement ? thanks
Old 01-13-2023, 01:48 PM   #30
benmiller

i like the razor edit + promote action for comping . but would it be possible that "create fixed lane comp area" defaults to create a new comp lane when no previous comp lane was created, and after that it would default to comping into the last used comp lane? It would make it easier to switch back to comping for those of us who who do the edits in the comp lane.

also an action to toggle comping in the last used comping lane would be very helpful. and if not comping lane was started yet, this action would default to creating a new lane for comping
Old 01-13-2023, 01:50 PM   #31
benmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricia View Post

I think for me one of the biggest things missing right now is being able to copy items to a specific lane.
i agree, i also miss not beeing able to copy to a specific lane.
Old 01-13-2023, 01:52 PM   #32
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
I might be missing the point but I was going to mention that and then I thought "what else could they do except shrink"?

In fact, I rather enjoy the way the code handles that last bit with the two fades next to each other. That's lovely!

I think I would rather have them adapting like this than not existing unless they are the same size as the original if that's what you mean?
Old 01-13-2023, 01:58 PM   #33
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmiller View Post
this short gif to show the limits of the current sync between source and comp lane. I've made a comp starting at just before the attack, if i decide to readjust the timing of the attack in the source lane then the attack disappears in the comp lane and i have to recomp/readjust my comp.

When draging a source item, wouldn't be more usefull if the comp selection on top of the item i'm dragging follow allong? effectively readjusting the comp lane? (this is at least how it works in logic for exmple)
It seems to me that you could then adjust the comp area to reincorporate this attack?

Allowing this by default goes against the comping process I think but..

Maybe we could get a special mouse modifier that when held/used, would move the current comp area as well as the item when item is moved or has edges adjusted the comp area would expand in the same direction to be in sync with the item edge?

Old 01-13-2023, 01:58 PM   #34
Edgemeal

Quote:
off topic but: how to you insert the gif inline and not as an attachement ? thanks
Upload image to a hosting site, Click the 'insert image' button in forum posting options and paste url, or paste image url between IMG tags,..
[IMG]https://host.org/my-image.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-13-2023, 02:06 PM   #35
musicbynumbers

Quote:
I'm confused by what you mean by this? do you mean whilst in comp mode? I guess we can copy from lane to lane not in comp mode or by changing the comp lane to the one we want to copy to and then using that instead? I only mention it in case Schwa is confused too and might need further explanation (or it could just be me) soz

Quote:
This feels unintuitiv to me. I think the behaviour should be more like 'trim behind media items' where as long as I don't release, touched comp areas should stay as they are.
I think I feel the same way too and should be like you explained by default but with a mouse modifier to keep this behaviour if we want it.

Quote:
Three more small things that you may already have on your list:
  • A fixed lane name wildcard in filename format for recorded files would be really cool.
  • Shortcuts to toggle comping mode on all/selected tracks
  • Shortcuts to sync/edit all comp areas on a lane/track
yep!
Old 01-13-2023, 02:07 PM   #36
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Also, the reaper devs created a lovely little app called licecap that you can get from their main site which is what most of these ones are made with and allows for text inserts etc.
Old 01-13-2023, 02:24 PM   #37
fricia

Quote:
I'm confused by what you mean by this? do you mean whilst in comp mode? I guess we can copy from lane to lane not in comp mode or by changing the comp lane to the one we want to copy to and then using that instead? I only mention it in case Schwa is confused too and might need further explanation (or it could just be me) soz
Imagine you recorded vocals and want to copy a word from chorus 1 to chorus 2 as part of the comping process. Right now I would either have to do this via razor edit copy-move (which is undesirable, for long distances), copy that part of the lane to chorus 2 on the same lane and then comp it (which is undesirable because there's an additional step and there's the potential to overwrite source material) or copy that word to a new lane, move it to the target spot on the new lane and then comp it (which is way to many steps in my opinion).
Old 01-13-2023, 03:03 PM   #38
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Imagine you recorded vocals and want to copy a word from chorus 1 to chorus 2 as part of the comping process. Right now I would either have to do this via razor edit copy-move (which is undesirable, for long distances), copy that part of the lane to chorus 2 on the same lane and then comp it (which is undesirable because there's an additional step and there's the potential to overwrite source material) or copy that word to a new lane, move it to the target spot on the new lane and then comp it (which is way to many steps in my opinion).
I think I'm just tired sorry because I'm still not sure what the issue is but hopefully schwa understands so all good

I just tried in reaper to do what you mention and to me it seems like creating a razor edit then control+c then control+v copies the word within the same lane to the new chorus but you did mention that this could overwrite what was there so..

..are you asking for a way to copy from one lane but then paste to another? If so, that would be good to be able to do but would need us to be able to select a new paste lane like we do tracks and would need to be not that easy to accidentally do so we can do the typical same lane copy/paste easily.

I would probably just paste the razor edit outside of the 2nd chorus in a (hopefully blank) area and the drag it into the right lane myself but I suspect there's a devil in the detail I'm still missing.

It's probably just me though.. should get an early night!
Old 01-13-2023, 03:05 PM   #39
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Fun little visual oditiy while recording:
What is even happening there? Are you recording only into the bottom track, or also into the top track?
Old 01-13-2023, 03:12 PM   #40
benmiller

Quote:
if i select an item at the begining of lane 1, or on a different track and want to put it at the end of lane 2, i can do it by drag and drop, but if it's at a bigger distance on the time line this becomes unpractical (item is 2 small to be selected if you are zoomed out, or you have to drag to edge of the window to make it scroll ). beeing able to copy the item and pasting it in the desired place would be the easiest way to go. currently if an item gets always pasted to it's original lane. I would be doing this in the context of building different versions of track rather than comping.
beeing able to paste to currently playing would be helpfull, because right now you there is no way to actually select a lane (in the same way as you select a track.)