COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 10-17-2022, 05:19 AM   #1
AudioBabble
Human being with feelings

Default Newbie question

Hi all, new to NINJAM, had some fun last night apparently jamming on a few servers.
A pretty obvious question springs to mind: how do I go about recording others live streams within Reaper? I also read somewhere that it's possible to get the full quality stream somehow - how does that work?
Thanks in advance
Old 10-17-2022, 09:58 AM   #2
pljones

Your computer doesn't receive lossless audio over ReaNINJAM, only lossy. There's no way to use ReaNINJAM for lossless transfers. However, under "File->Preferences" you can choose to save the uncompressed audio that's used for mixing what you hear when you're jamming. If you choose "Save multitrack recordings for remixing later", you get one track per client connection.

However, Reaper will load the lossy files just as easily as the lossless WAV files it saves with the "uncompressed audio" option, so all you're really doing is using up disk space. (I use the uncompressed audio option...)
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:11 AM   #3
AudioBabble

Thanks, things are beginning to make sense, I think...

I hadn't looked at File > preferences within the reaNINJAM window, having checked I found that save multitrack was already checked, as well as "flush beat counter" - presumably these are default settings.

Oddly though, despite having streamed quite a few servers last night, there was nothing in the specified save location.

Now, however, I find that streams do get saved.. strange - as if just checking the prefs somehow "initialized" the save feature.

So now, I'm looking at what gets saved in the NINJAM session folder and scratching my head about that... how is one supposed to figure out who's who and what's what when faced with folders 0 - 9, then a - f

Interestingly, if I put reaNINJAM as an input FX, I am able to record the main L/R mix of the incoming stream. Unfortunate really that it's only a 2-out "instrument", if it had multi-channel outputs life would be very easy indeed!

Finally, I'm also confused about how the ogg / wav info is saved. The compressed audio is streamed in, so am I right in assuming that it gets saved simultaneously in the session folder.. or is there a delay. Further, there must be a delay in fetching the uncompressed data to be saved in the session folder. I've found that windows explorer has a tendency to freeze for quite a long time after even a short session of a few seconds, before it finally allows the data to be accessed.

Sorry to harp on.. but I could really do with some de-mystification on this stuff so I can figure out how to work with it... and there's not much in the documentation so I assume this is the place to ask!
Old 10-17-2022, 11:23 AM   #4
AudioBabble

ahhh... i see!

just open the clipsort.log as a project.

Fab!