Old 01-03-2023, 10:27 PM   #401
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnick View Post
It could very well be possible already and I may have missed it, but I would really, really, really like to see an option to toggle between seeing all lanes in a fixed item lane track or tracks and seeing only the top/currently playing lane. For me this makes a huge difference in workflow in some situations. For example, comping multi-mic'd drum kit performances, where having all lanes visible at once gets unwieldy.

If this is already possible within the fixed item lanes framework and someone can point me in the right direction, I'd very much appreciate that!

If it is not already possible, I hope the developers will consider adding or testing that option sooner rather than later.

Thanks!
Not possible yet. But it's a huge part of this feature. Stay tuned.
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:37 PM   #402
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Kenny just for reference in case you guys haven't come across it:

BirdBird's TrackVersions script
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=263659

For versioning, this works insanely well (thank you BirdBird) given the complexity of scripting something like this. It's a perfect example that devs might want to look at, already working in their own DAW.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:49 AM   #403
IrishRover79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Kenny just for reference in case you guys haven't come across it:

BirdBird's TrackVersions script
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=263659

For versioning, this works insanely well (thank you BirdBird) given the complexity of scripting something like this. It's a perfect example that devs might want to look at, already working in their own DAW.
I agree. It is an absolutely awesome script.
IrishRover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 09:40 AM   #404
ferropop

It doesn't work with Melodyne which is the one snag when it comes to vocal comping, but yeah as a ref it might be useful while the Lanes stuff is being developed.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:37 AM   #405
Dubnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Thanks for the info Kenny - very much looking forward to it!

As it is right now, fixed item lanes looks promising, but I have refrained from really kicking the tires on it because in real world use I very much count on that option and not having it there slows me down too much. Once toggling the lanes view is available I will totally be giving this a real test drive.

Very excited that track based edit groups and fixed item lanes are going to be part of Reaper going forward!
Dubnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:22 AM   #406
mykrobinson

Default how to get started with fixed media lanes?

forgive me if this is a rather daft question, but i am trying the most recent dev release to try to get a better handle on what is happening with fixed media lanes, track lanes, or whatever it's called today.

Anyone care to give a very brief primer on how to use this new feature? I was able to get it turned on but i am not finding how to begin comping with it

mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:27 AM   #407
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykrobinson View Post
forgive me if this is a rather daft question, but i am trying the most recent dev release to try to get a better handle on what is happening with fixed media lanes, track lanes, or whatever it's called today.

Anyone care to give a very brief primer on how to use this new feature? I was able to get it turned on but i am not finding how to begin comping with it
The best solution is to check a few of last dev builds threads and watch gifs.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:29 AM   #408
mykrobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
The best solution is to check a few of last dev builds threads and watch gifs.
I'll give ethat a try. I started reading through this thread and got discouraged kinda quickly because of all the changes and trying to keep up. Hopefully the recent gifs will help me spot the current method without the historical content
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:42 AM   #409
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykrobinson View Post
I'll give ethat a try. I started reading through this thread and got discouraged kinda quickly because of all the changes and trying to keep up. Hopefully the recent gifs will help me spot the current method without the historical content
Don't get used to it, because the final feature may look much different than today.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:55 PM   #410
mschnell

Quote:
Comping imo should not allow for sounds to play together vertically. It's the antithesis of comping if anything. Those things don't belong together!
Yep.

But you can do Crossfades with the items resulting from swipe comping. Hence in the extreme they should be able to play together.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:02 PM   #411
mschnell

Quote:
buried in a 100-take Lanes track where you can have multiple items playing at the same time.
... and each lane containing items that have many takes
Old 01-12-2023, 02:07 PM   #412
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
That's like ferror already mentioned: throwing away the expertise of 30 years of DAW development and trying to re-invent the wheel.
Why invent the wheel when we have thousands of years expertise in carrying stones ?
Old 01-23-2023, 01:07 PM   #413
bwsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
Another session using the current beta lane system:

I needed to double all tracks multiple times, cause I seem to have reached the maximum number of available lanes which totally messed up everything (multiple takes where played back at the same time and where visually overlapping). You cannot see anything when working like this, you can't even read take names. So I urgently want to suggest thinking about the sub-track method instead of showing everything in one track. It's super unconvenient to always zoom in and out vertically when copying takes to different tracks or lanes.
+1
Attached Images
File Type: png 3.png (208.2 KB, 1172 views)
bwsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:08 PM   #414
Coachz

Default Comping

I just got time to try to comp and could use some info please. I thought I had the tracks and MM set up to comp to the empty lane but all I get is the Razor select. What do I need to do to swipe comps of my tracks and have them appear in the top lane please ?

Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:19 PM   #415
schwa
Administrator

You want the mouse modifier "create fixed lane comp area" in the arrange view right-drag context. It's mapped to shift+control+right-drag by default. We're working on ways to make this more discoverable.

Or, you can click that yellow button on the razor edits.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:41 PM   #416
Coachz

Thanks Schwa. That worked..... Couple of questions please....

1. You had said the left drag was not going to happen, so does that MoM Toggle: Mouse Modifier Toggle Action Generator have the ability to create "modes" where I could use Left Drag or is it just not possible in any way?

2. I notice that "create fixed lane comp area" creates areas beyond the media items endpoints if I right drag past the start or ends (trying to get the edges). I would think you would not want it to extend past.

3. In a typical workflow where you lay down multiple fixed lanes over a loop as the musician does multiple takes, when they stop it would be nice if the top "composite" lane already existed and had the last track as the default "comp" until any comping was done. This way you would hear your last take automatically and be all setup for comping. So if I have "Create New Media Items in Fixed Lanes" I would want a "comping" mode so the first lane stayed blank and first take went into the 2nd lane and displayed the "composite" in the first lane.

Thanks for the great work and I really appreciate the help.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:11 AM   #417
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
1. You had said the left drag was not going to happen, so does that MoM Toggle: Mouse Modifier Toggle Action Generator have the ability to create "modes" where I could use Left Drag or is it just not possible in any way?
I can't speak for schwa nor for his intentions, but MoM Toggle can only generate actions based on existing MM configurations.

Until/unless there's a left-drag modifier available, you won't be able to set up a left-drag comping "tool" using it.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:54 AM   #418
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
I can't speak for schwa nor for his intentions, but MoM Toggle can only generate actions based on existing MM configurations.

Until/unless there's a left-drag modifier available, you won't be able to set up a left-drag comping "tool" using it.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah that's what I thought too that I could swap mouse modifiers in and out but only based on what definitions were currently allowed.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:48 AM   #419
norbury brook

what is it about Reaper and the Right drag Paradigm? It's a right royal PIA using a kensington Trackball.

I'm actually thinking of getting a mouse again to use with reaper although a track ball has served me well without RSI for 20 years on Cubase.

Do all the Dev's use a mouse?

M
Old 01-30-2023, 10:06 AM   #420
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
what is it about Reaper and the Right drag Paradigm? It's a right royal PIA using a kensington Trackball.

I'm actually thinking of getting a mouse again to use with reaper although a track ball has served me well without RSI for 20 years on Cubase.

M
It is totally infuriating.

Tragic undermine
A raking, round reaper dies
beyond the right mouse
Old 01-30-2023, 10:11 AM   #421
dom64

Try looking into getting a vertical mouse - I find them really useful. /
dom64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:29 AM   #422
juan_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
It is totally infuriating.

Tragic undermine
A raking, round reaper dies
beyond the right mouse

Unusual name...
I'd soothe you with a haiku
Can't count syllables!
Old 01-31-2023, 01:14 AM   #423
Trigonometrie

Default Dev Builds

Maybe I am missing something but to me it seems as if the fixed lanes feature is not included in the RC version 6.74 and I cant find the dev version with the link to the pre releases. Or are the dev versions somehow restricted to beta users only? Maybe someone could point me in the right direction.
Cheers
Trigonometrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:28 AM   #424
benmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigonometrie View Post
Maybe I am missing something but to me it seems as if the fixed lanes feature is not included in the RC version 6.74 and I cant find the dev version with the link to the pre releases. Or are the dev versions somehow restricted to beta users only? Maybe someone could point me in the right direction.
Cheers
lane features are still in developpement so only in "dev" versions, not in prerelease "rc" versions.

the 1st page of the https://www.landoleet.org shows the latest build which is vurrently an rc (not a dev). for the latest dev version look in the old folder https://www.landoleet.org/old/
when the next dev verison comes, it will be on the front page of https://www.landoleet.org
benmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:34 AM   #425
awelex

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post

M
+1. Trackballs are used A LOT in post. At least here in LA. Every time I have to right drag with my Kensington it's a major pain (mainly figuratively, but if I do it often enough also literally).
awelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:47 PM   #426
ferropop

Yeah the right-drag idea is nearly impossible on anything other than mouse. Been struggling for years doing anything selection-related on a Macbook.

Karabiner Elements has come to the rescue a few times, with some custom mouse-to-key remaps, but jeez. Just counting my lucky stars that my main studio setup is on Windows.
Old 01-31-2023, 04:24 PM   #427
Coachz

Quote:
Yeah the right-drag idea is nearly impossible on anything other than mouse. Been struggling for years doing anything selection-related on a Macbook.

Karabiner Elements has come to the rescue a few times, with some custom mouse-to-key remaps, but jeez. Just counting my lucky stars that my main studio setup is on Windows.
And I hate it on the mouse. Left Draggers UNITE !

Old 01-31-2023, 06:11 PM   #428
glymur

Quote:
I assume you mean via track pad? I couldn't imagine using that for Reaper regardless of left click or right. It is great for zooming, and project adjustments, but for detail, it is a nightmare no matter what key needs to be pressed.

All mice work just fine on Mac. Including the Magic Mouse which I find to work really well since I can use the trackpad features I want while also having a two button mouse.

Either way, I understand some of the desire for left click having a more prominent role, but I don't know what this has to do with the OS.
glymur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:17 PM   #429
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by glymur View Post
I assume you mean via track pad? I couldn't imagine using that for Reaper regardless of left click or right. It is great for zooming, and project adjustments, but for detail, it is a nightmare no matter what key needs to be pressed.

All mice work just fine on Mac. Including the Magic Mouse which I find to work really well since I can use the trackpad features I want while also having a two button mouse.

Either way, I understand some of the desire for left click having a more prominent role, but I don't know what this has to do with the OS.
Yeah not specific to MacOS, I just happen to have a MacBook Pro for doing stuff at other people's spots. So yeah trackpads in general, which happen to be most laptops these days, really don't play nice at all.

Definitely a reason "laptop producers" tend towards Ableton/BitWig/Logic, that have been optimized around smart screen real-estate and left-clicks.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:26 PM   #430
glymur

Quote:
Yeah not specific to MacOS, I just happen to have a MacBook Pro for doing stuff at other people's spots. So yeah trackpads in general, which happen to be most laptops these days, really don't play nice at all.

Definitely a reason "laptop producers" tend towards Ableton/BitWig/Logic, that have been optimized around smart screen real-estate and left-clicks.
Yeah, makes sense.
glymur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:17 AM   #431
benmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by glymur View Post

I feel a lot more precise with the trackpad on my macbook as with any mouse and have no problem with right drag. I guess it's also a question of habit and maybe of how you set the mouse/trackpad speed and clic force in the preferences.
Just saw something about a vertical mouse. That seems like an interesting ergonomic alternative
benmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:52 AM   #432
MrTsonts

Hello. I must have missed one important point. Can you please tell me how to create a comp without creating fade in and fade out . Thank you.
MrTsonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:11 AM   #433
schwa
Administrator

There's a setting in preferences/project/media item defaults to apply fade/crossfade when comping in fixed lanes. If you disable the setting, any new comp areas that are created should not have fades, but existing comp areas won't be changed.

I just noticed that changing the crossfade length in preferences does not get respected for new comp areas, but checking/unchecking the preference is respected.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:19 AM   #434
MrTsonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
There's a setting in preferences/project/media item defaults to apply fade/crossfade when comping in fixed lanes. If you disable the setting, any new comp areas that are created should not have fades, but existing comp areas won't be changed.

I just noticed that changing the crossfade length in preferences does not get respected for new comp areas, but checking/unchecking the preference is respected.
Thank you!
Old 02-01-2023, 10:39 AM   #435
MrTsonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Is it planned to create an action to toggle this option in the action list? Or does it already exist?
Old 04-15-2023, 03:07 AM   #436
deeb

Up ! This is the place for on topic off topic
Old 04-15-2023, 03:13 AM   #437
deeb

I would like this workflow. Maybe is too late tho.
I record in layers, then create or edit new comp, add lanes and edit, and if i switch back to layering only the the comp is shown in one of the layers - the lanes that compose the comping are hidden. This way comping is just one layer (1 lane) in the layering perspective. I delete the comp, i delete those hidden lanes that compose the comp, i switch to comp: those lanes are shown again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
I thought I d share this. And looking for your thoughts and opinions.

If we could have 2 different views: one for layering and another for comping working like this:

What would be the pros and cons? Would you like it or not?

I think I would like because would look more organized and easier to follow, and a clear distinction between layer and (comp + comp material). But maybe is too late or not worth.
Old 04-28-2023, 06:58 AM   #438
Indiscipline

I've been gradually exploring Fixed Item Lane comping and it's already in a pretty usable state. It's especially nice how it meets the expectations of people coming from other DAWs who couldn't adapt to (or see benefits of) the existing mode.

Here's a few notes and FRs I've collected yet:

Code:
# Fixed lane comping
1. Auditioning issue:
  - [ ] New mouse modifier to audition lane under cursor, overriding current lane selection? (src: Studio One)
  - [ ] New option to move cursor to start of the selected comp area
  - [ ] New option for loop selections to follow comp areas
2. Additional mouse modifier cursors for:
  - [ ] Heal (+)
  - [ ] Delete comp not item (-)
  - [ ] Delete comp and item (✕)
  - [ ] Extend (+⇒)
Indiscipline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 04:47 PM   #439
ovnis

FR: auto fixed lane track mode!

Advantage : we haven't to use an action to swith between regular track and fixed lanes track. It's faster, smarter and easier.

If there is no item on the regular track, the item fly over it normaly.
If there is an item on the regular track, when the the item (or rather the mouse cursor) is at the bottom of the track, the fixed lane add area appears.

If there is only one lane with items on the fixed lanes track, the fixed lanes track swith to regular track:

Maybe, it would nice to add this option too : only display the fixed lane add area when the item is at the bottom of the fixed lanes track (more space for items).

ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:10 AM   #440
deeb

^^^ I like your suggestions! Very good

Last edited by deeb; 05-11-2023 at 11:19 AM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote