Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 10-27-2020, 09:51 AM   #10801
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings

New EuCon only build is up.

Please see if it fixes the behaviour illustrated below, or at least makes it better

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
I'm seeing the same things as Nick, where automation written with the rotaries often has a jagged sawtooth pattern to it that gets worse the faster I move the knob:

It happens in both touch and latch mode. I'm pretty sure this is new behavior that popped up within the last few builds, I don't remember it happening in the earlier builds from a few months ago
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #10802
Petzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Cool, you are going about it the right way, starting simple.

Please post the contents of CSI.ini, your .mst and .zon files, you can use the Code tags to make it look better, I'll use the word Lode instead of Code to fool the forum software, otherwise it will think I want to put in some code

[Lode]
Content of your file goes here
[/Lode]
Ok, so still a few struggles. 3 in fact ...

The QconLite comes with a 28x4 display, instead of a 55x2. Any idea how I could display the Pan on the 2nd line (so technically, the 2nd half of the upper line) ?

Linked to this, is there a way to clean the screen ? I'm displaying one track at a time, so the welcome screen stays on (it's on the 2nd line/half of the 1st line)

And finally ...

Code:
Widget Mute
	Press 90 09 7F
	FB_TwoState  90 09 7F  90 09 00
WidgetEnd
The mute button can set the track mute state, but it doesn't light up the LED ALthought the OUT -> Shows some action ...

Code:
IN <- Lite Mute 1.000000
OUT->Lite  90  09  7f 
IN <- Lite 90  09  00
Is there something I'm missing ?
Old 10-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #10803
Nick Morris

Quote:

Please see if it fixes the behaviour illustrated below, or at least makes it better
This fixed the pan rotary jaggedness on fast turns.

Still notice -

1. when I flip the pans to the faders, reaper records the envelope properly, but the control surface fader does not follow.

2. Width on the rotaries still fights it. If I simply hold the rotary, its as if I let go. When I turn the rotary it jumps back and forth from the start point to where I am in the rotary travel.

Same happens when I flip the width to faders.

Both pan and width when flipped to faders do not update the faders on the control surface/ they don't follow.

3. Sends latch, never pop back to original position on rotary or fader. The envelope looks great for both, no jaggedness, doesnt fight movements.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #10804
pwallin

Quote:
Just copy the first zone and rename it to something else -- TheZone, TheFlippedZone

Simply exchange the Actions for the rotary and fader in TheFlippedZone.

Set up a button to Go between something like this:

Code:
Zone "TheZone"
    ButtonThatChangesZone GoZone "TheFlippedZone"
    Fader FaderAction
    Rotary RotaryAction
ZoneEnd

Zone "TheFlippedZone"
    ButtonThatChangesZone GoZone "TheZone"
    Fader RotaryAction
    Rotary FaderAction
ZoneEnd
Great! I thought it would involve more coding. Thanks a lot.
pwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:03 PM   #10805
RobinGShore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
I can confirm this as well. No more sawtooth envelopes when writing from the rotaries

Quote:
Thanks for the fabulous testing as usual !

Does using touch when writing width automation work if you use the old EuCon extension ?
Yup width automation works correctly in the old extension (I actually use it fairly often).

Quote:
when I flip the pans to the faders, reaper records the envelope properly, but the control surface fader does not follow.
Did you trying switching over to aux mode temporarily then switching back to pan like I noted in my post yesterday? That fixes the pan automation problems for me
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #10806
Funkybot

Quote:

Hi Geoff, I'm seeing problems with Pan in the latest Eucon build.

Issue #1:
This latest build doesn't write any pan automation at all. The pan knobs move on Reaper's GUI and you'll hear the change, but no automation is actually written in Reaper.

And since there's no automation being written, there's no returning to the initial value on Touch mode.

Issue #2:
If I set the Artist mix to control Pan Right (I use Dual Pan mode by default), when touching the Rotary, the knob moves as expected. When I release the Rotary, the Pan Right parameter moves to dead center every time.

CSI Eucon+Windows issues maybe? With both issues, doesn't matter if I'm using rotaries or faders. Same result with both.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #10807
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Quote:
I can confirm this as well. No more sawtooth envelopes when writing from the rotaries
Great, thanks for testing.

Quote:
Yup width automation works correctly in the old extension (I actually use it fairly often).
Ah, I see where I'm going wrong, there was a whole chunk of code that was in the original extension that is missing from the new one.

However that investigation does point to another possible issue.

As it is now, CSI/Reaper can enable touch for Volume, Pan, and Pan Width.

However, as it is implemented currently in CSI/Reaper, that's it.

Before I dig deeper, just wanted to verify (and I believe this is the case) that folks want to be able to have touch automation behaviour implemented for Sends as well as FX params.

Is that the case for you good folks out there ?
Old 10-27-2020, 04:05 PM   #10808
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Hi Geoff, I'm seeing problems with Pan in the latest Eucon build.

Issue #1:
This latest build doesn't write any pan automation at all. The pan knobs move on Reaper's GUI and you'll hear the change, but no automation is actually written in Reaper.

And since there's no automation being written, there's no returning to the initial value on Touch mode.
Have you tried the workaround Robin mentions in the post just before yours ?

Quote:
Issue #2:
If I set the Artist mix to control Pan Right (I use Dual Pan mode by default), when touching the Rotary, the knob moves as expected. When I release the Rotary, the Pan Right parameter moves to dead center every time.

CSI Eucon+Windows issues maybe? With both issues, doesn't matter if I'm using rotaries or faders. Same result with both.
Yes, please see the previous post on capabilities.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:20 PM   #10809
MixMonkey

Quote:
Before I dig deeper, just wanted to verify (and I believe this is the case) that folks want to be able to have touch automation behaviour implemented for Sends as well as FX params.

Yes please
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:34 PM   #10810
kevrose

[QUOTE=MixMonkey;2357489]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrose View Post
The one from May. Is the April one still available for comparison?

It's only in the latest build that TrackTouch became FaderTouch, so that's ok. The April build is here:

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/40308/CSI%20beta-30.zip
Great, thanks. Presumably I just copy across over dylib file - will the existing surface config continue to work or do I need to edit any files such as the .ini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Did you see my last post about it? I got the same error message as you until I reloaded the raw fx file (which reset the save path) and then it worked normally.
I'm sure I did try that, but will have another go tomorrow.

Btw, do you use different pages? The reason I ask is that you have a very similar setup to mine and I wonder if having the C4 to control plugins makes you less likely to need to use faders for different functions. I'm not sure why I might need them.

I've found that CSI has actually made me think about what my workflow is and could be - never really considered that I actually had a workflow until then! (I'm probably just using around 10% of Reaper's capabilities )
kevrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:36 PM   #10811
Funkybot

Quote:
Have you tried the workaround Robin mentions in the post just before yours ?

Yes, please see the previous post on capabilities.
Yeah, I saw Robin's post about going into Aux mode momentarily. That doesn't fix it. Saw his video too and I'm getting WAY different results here on Windows. There's no pan automation writing at all. Literally none. He's getting automation to write, which I'm not. Reaper is seeing the pan moving but it's like those parameters aren't armed for automation at all when being moved on the Artist Mix. This only started today. Yesterday's Eucon build didn't exhibit this.

Also, to answer your question: would definitely like Touch automation on Sends and FXParams. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #10812
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Yeah, I saw Robin's post about going into Aux mode momentarily. That doesn't fix it. Saw his video too and I'm getting WAY different results here on Windows. There's no pan automation writing at all. Literally none. He's getting automation to write, which I'm not. Reaper is seeing the pan moving but it's like those parameters aren't armed for automation at all when being moved on the Artist Mix. This only started today. Yesterday's Eucon build didn't exhibit this.

Also, to answer your question: would definitely like Touch automation on Sends and FXParams. Thanks!
Does it work if you use Pan and Pan Width -- well the Pan Width won't work, but the Pan should
Old 10-27-2020, 04:42 PM   #10813
Geoff Waddington

Just noticed this is the 4 year anniversary of the first post in the thread
Old 10-27-2020, 04:51 PM   #10814
RobinGShore

Quote:
Great, thanks for testing.

Yes indeed, touch behavior for everything please.

Quote:
Congrats!!!
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #10815
Funkybot

Quote:
Does it work if you use Pan and Pan Width -- well the Pan Width won't work, but the Pan should
It does indeed work as described by Robin with Stereo pan. It's just the Dual Pan Left/Right that are doing nothing. Shoulda thought to test that.

And happy 4 year anniversary to this thread!
Old 10-27-2020, 05:08 PM   #10816
MixMonkey

[QUOTE=kevrose;2358019]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post

Great, thanks. Presumably I just copy across over dylib file - will the existing surface config continue to work or do I need to edit any files such as the .ini?
Yep, just copy the dylib, the .ini structure is the same.

Quote:
I'm sure I did try that, but will have another go tomorrow.
This is pretty much all I can think of. Reloading the raw fx file doesn't change any layout you've already done. In fact, if you've assigned all the parameters, nothing will change on the screen, but it will reset the save path.
Quote:
Btw, do you use different pages? The reason I ask is that you have a very similar setup to mine and I wonder if having the C4 to control plugins makes you less likely to need to use faders for different functions. I'm not sure why I might need them.
Nope, just the one page. The C4 displays the FX menu and Sends automatically on track selection. Selecting an FX from the menu, maps it's parameters on to the C4. I have the MCU set up so I can spill the selected tracks sends onto faders for finer control if needed (and hopefully for Touch automation soon too!)
Quote:
I've found that CSI has actually made me think about what my workflow is and could be - never really considered that I actually had a workflow until then! (I'm probably just using around 10% of Reaper's capabilities )
I know what you mean. The great thing about Reaper is that it doesn't force you wade through stuff that isn't relevant to you, you can just get rid of it. I cut the menus and toolbars right down and put back only what I need, which is surprisingly little, it turns out

Like all brilliant engineering solutions, Reaper's flexibility allows multiple routes to the same end. You pick the one that suits you best. Often the hardest thing is working out what that is
Old 10-27-2020, 05:09 PM   #10817
MixMonkey

Quote:
Happy Birthday CSI!
Old 10-27-2020, 06:37 PM   #10818
Cragster

Wow 4 years !! You guys came a long way with this.thank you all for CSI !! Especially Geoff. Thank you
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:21 AM   #10819
Petzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petzi View Post
And finally

The mute button can set the track mute state, but it doesn't light up the LED ALthought the OUT -> Shows some action ...
Right ... talking to myself again : got it ! The problem with the mute/solo/rec buttons is due to the firmware of the surface.

In UserMode, it's not working ... In any of the pre-defined mode (I settled on "Logic"), it works ! Go figure ...

Now I just need to find a solution to write on the 4 half lines instead of the two full ones
Old 10-28-2020, 06:04 AM   #10820
Cragster

Quote:
Right ... talking to myself again : got it ! The problem with the mute/solo/rec buttons is due to the firmware of the surface.

In UserMode, it's not working ... In any of the pre-defined mode (I settled on "Logic"), it works ! Go figure ...

Now I just need to find a solution to write on the 4 half lines instead of the two full ones
I'm sure you already do but the buttons you want to light do you have FB_TwoState...mapped to them in the mst ? That's what lights them
Old 10-28-2020, 07:26 AM   #10821
Nick Morris

been very happy over here with how Eucon has been shaping up this year inside CSI. Thanks so much Geoff!!!

I noticed something the other night that I have not been able to reproduce. I have not created zone files for plugins to use with Eucon. All my plugins have zone files that have been set up for a mackie C4. In testing Eucon I pressed the insert button and a plugins parameters spilled across the artist mix rotary controls. This has never happened before and I haven't been able to make it happen again.

How did this happen? Is it supposed to just do that?
Old 10-28-2020, 08:51 AM   #10822
Petzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragster View Post
I'm sure you already do but the buttons you want to light do you have FB_TwoState...mapped to them in the mst ? That's what lights them
Yes I had, but strangely enough, it didn't work with the surface configured in "UserMode". I was seeing the "OUT->" messages with the proper values when changing tracks, so CSI was reporting the proper state to the surface. But the surface kept ignoring them in UserMode. Switched to one of the pre-configured mode, and voila !

I'm now working my way through a Zone file that suits my need, which is the fun part Still some headscratching though, like the displays... But it'll work !
Old 10-28-2020, 11:52 AM   #10823
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
been very happy over here with how Eucon has been shaping up this year inside CSI. Thanks so much Geoff!!!

I noticed something the other night that I have not been able to reproduce. I have not created zone files for plugins to use with Eucon. All my plugins have zone files that have been set up for a mackie C4. In testing Eucon I pressed the insert button and a plugins parameters spilled across the artist mix rotary controls. This has never happened before and I haven't been able to make it happen again.

How did this happen? Is it supposed to just do that?
You need zone definitions for each plugin in your EuCon folder.

Have look at the the EuCon folder supplied with the build for examples.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #10824
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Yes I had, but strangely enough, it didn't work with the surface configured in "UserMode". I was seeing the "OUT->" messages with the proper values when changing tracks, so CSI was reporting the proper state to the surface. But the surface kept ignoring them in UserMode. Switched to one of the pre-configured mode, and voila !

I'm now working my way through a Zone file that suits my need, which is the fun part Still some headscratching though, like the displays... But it'll work !
Yeah, hardware that has many different modes can do that to you
Old 10-28-2020, 12:05 PM   #10825
Geoff Waddington

OK, turns out renaming TrackTouch to FaderTouch was just plain wrong

Here are some examples of the proposed new syntax:

Code:
    Fader|       TrackVolume
    FaderTouch|  TrackVolumeTouch

Rotary|       TrackPan
    RotaryTouch|  TrackPanTouch
and For FX

Code:
	Rotary1       FXParam "0" "Low Freq" "0"
	RotaryTouch1  FXParamTouch "0"
	Display1      FXParamValueDisplay "0"
What do you think ?
Old 10-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #10826
Funkybot

Quote:

Code:
    Fader|       TrackVolume

Rotary|       TrackPan
and For FX

Code:
What do you think ?
I can adjust.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #10827
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
I can adjust.
Ok, so you owed me one from the "lost my touch" post, now we're even
Old 10-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #10828
Cragster

Quote:

Code:
    Fader|       TrackVolume

Rotary|       TrackPan
and For FX

Code:
What do you think ?
Whatever the changes is good by me. I wanted to ask .I know you guys been talking Eucon alot which I dont use . Just straight CSI ..so is the new build/refactoring ready and stable for normal CSI stuff ? Or are you guys still testing ? And would it be possible for Geoff or someone to put out a post with all the new syntax changes ? When it's ready to go. Thanks guys
Old 10-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #10829
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragster View Post
Whatever the changes is good by me. I wanted to ask .I know you guys been talking Eucon alot which I dont use . Just straight CSI ..so is the new build/refactoring ready and stable for normal CSI stuff ? Or are you guys still testing ? And would it be possible for Geoff or someone to put out a post with all the new syntax changes ? When it's ready to go. Thanks guys
It's close.

Non-EuCon sends and FX Menu are the main bits left to do.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:05 PM   #10830
Cragster

Quote:
It's close.

Non-EuCon sends and FX Menu are the main bits left to do.
Ok cool thanks Geoff .
Old 10-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #10831
Funkybot

Quote:
Ok, so you owed me one from the "lost my touch" post, now we're even
Hey, that was MixMonkey, not me! I'm an innocent man....I swear! lol
Old 10-28-2020, 01:13 PM   #10832
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Hey, that was MixMonkey, not me! I'm an innocent man....I swear! lol
Oops, right you are
Old 10-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #10833
airon

Looking forward to seeing the new syntax. The build from October 25th still messes up the volume automation recording a little. It's steppy with some points being 95 milliseconds apart and some 30ms. It's workable and it may be another screw on Presonus part but it ain't great.

A bonus objective could be to have some kind of interpolation going on, whilst also controlling the amount of points on the resulting recording. Reaper kinda crap at that.

It would help to see a small example of the syntax posted alongside the new version announcement.

So for example, what would this channel bit of a zone look like in the new syntax ??

Code:
TrackNavigator
FPScribble|            TrackNameDisplay
FaderTouch+FPScribble| TrackVolumeDisplay
Solo|                  TrackSolo
Mute|                  TrackMute
Select|                TrackUniqueSelect { 2 10 2  30 127 30 }
Fader|                 TrackVolume
FaderTouch+Fader|      TrackVolume
FaderTouch|            FaderTouch

Last edited by airon; 10-28-2020 at 01:56 PM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #10834
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Looking forward to seeing the new syntax. The build from October 25th still messes up the volume automation recording a little. It's steppy with some points being 95 milliseconds apart and some 30ms. It's workable and it may be another screw on Presonus part but it ain't great.

A bonus objective could be to have some kind of interpolation going on, whilst also controlling the amount of points on the resulting recording. Reaper kinda crap at that.

It would help to see a small example of the syntax posted alongside the new version announcement.

So for example, what would this channel bit of a zone look like in the new syntax ??

Code:
TrackNavigator
Solo|                  TrackSolo
Mute|                  TrackMute
Select|                TrackUniqueSelect { 2 10 2  30 127 30 }
Fader|                 TrackVolume
FaderTouch+Fader|      TrackVolume
FaderTouch|            FaderTouch
Good points, thanks for that post.

I've been concentrating so much on automation, forgot about ancillary touch actions like FaderTouch+FPScribble| TrackVolumeDisplay.

Will have to consider that a bit.

You won't need FaderTouch+Fader| TrackVolume anymore. Matter of fact you haven't needed that in a while.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #10835
Geoff Waddington

Hmmm...

This might be controversial, but let it settle before responding.

Seems to me like the most intuitive behaviour for temporary take-over for things like this:

Code:
is that they always happen with no need for an Action Mapping.

If you think about it, you don't need to see the Track name when you are adjusting a parameter (e.g. Volume), because you have already used your hand-eye coordination to navigate to the Track that you are now adjusting.

If you have made a navigation mistake, the Track name of the Track you missed will still appear to the left or right of the Track you landed on erroneously, so you still don't need to see the name of the Track you are adjusting, you just need to let go and press undo

Maybe whatever you are adjusting is temporarily displayed instead of the Track name, then the Track name automatically reappears after about 0.5 seconds of no further adjustment.

If enough people hate this, maybe add an option check box in config on a per surface basis to turn it off or on.

Dunno, just thinking out loud.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:30 PM   #10836
airon

Isn't this how it's done right now ?
I use this on the Faderport16 right now.
Code:
FPScribble|                  TrackNameDisplay
FaderTouch+FPScribble|       TrackVolumeDisplay
Shift+FaderTouch+FPScribble| TrackPanDisplay
Alt+FaderTouch+FPScribble|   TrackPanWidthDisplay
That already works. I assume it worked a different way previously ? Maybe I'm not getting something.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:04 PM   #10837
Funkybot

Quote:

If you have made a navigation mistake, the Track name of the Track you missed will still appear to the left or right of the Track you landed on erroneously, so you still don't need to see the name of the Track you are adjusting, you just need to let go and press undo
I'm not saying don't do it, but when considering use-cases, I think it's good to keep in mind there's a LOT of one fader surfaces out there in the world (X-Touch One, FaderPort, the ICON one). So that left/right track name piece wouldn't necessarily always be applicable.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #10838
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Isn't this how it's done right now ?
I use this on the Faderport16 right now.
Code:
That already works. I assume it worked a different way previously ? Maybe I'm not getting something.
Right now you have to define that behaviour in the zone definition as you point out, I'm suggesting it is automatically done:

Code:
gets replaced by

Code:
Simply adjusting Volume, Pan, or Pan Width automatically takes over the Name display temporarily.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #10839
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
I'm not saying don't do it, but when considering use-cases, I think it's good to keep in mind there's a LOT of one fader surfaces out there in the world (X-Touch One, FaderPort, the ICON one). So that left/right track name piece wouldn't necessarily always be applicable.
Fair point.

The pushback would be, you have already navigated to the right track, that is reinforced by the scribble strip name, and you can't miss and hit the wrong fader since there is only one
Old 10-28-2020, 04:16 PM   #10840
Geoff Waddington

Maybe we add a new Action (with a much more clever name)

Code:
 FPScribble| AutoOverrideTrackNameDisplay

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 10-28-2020 at 04:23 PM.