Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 12-26-2017, 06:37 AM   #241
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
The main things that would be nice to get working are d2d1, waves central and native access.
I can do nothing but concur with the above!

As an aside, since starting running "WINEPREFIX=~/blah wineserver -p" before starting reaper, I haven't had a single occurrence of a plugin failing to load!

Edit: I'd put Melodyne Studio 4, and iZotope Ozone on the wishlist too... IIRC I did manage to install and run melodyne 3 on wine in the past, but don't remember the details. Maybe I ought to check if the plugin itself runs.

Been testing the Fabfilter plugs, they seem to run fine, think I'll give myself a xmas gift of the fx bundle... Love the plugs, but quite expensive...
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 12-26-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:54 PM   #242
osxmidi

d2d1 wine error

Maybe it's the D2D1createfactory function?

trace:loaddll:load_builtin_dll Loaded L"C:\\windows\\system32\\d3d10_1.dll" at 0x7f6dcd090000: builtin
trace:loaddll:load_builtin_dll Loaded L"C:\\windows\\system32\\d3dcompiler_43.dll" at 0x7f6dcc1b0000: builtin
trace:loaddll:load_builtin_dll Loaded L"C:\\windows\\system32\\d3d10.dll" at 0x7f6dcc430000: builtin
err:winediag:wined3d_dll_init Setting maximum allowed wined3d GL version to 3.2.
trace:loaddll:load_builtin_dll Loaded L"C:\\windows\\system32\\d2d1.dll" at 0x7f6dcd2b0000: builtin
trace:d2d2D1CreateFactory factory_type 0x1, iid {06152247-6f50-465a-9245-118bfd3b6007}, factory_options (nil), factory 0x180259be0.
fixme:d2d:d2d_factory_init Ignoring factory type 0x1.
trace:d2d2D1CreateFactory Created factory 0x1def990.
trace:d2d:d2d_factory_QueryInterface iface 0x1def990, iid {06152247-6f50-465a-9245-118bfd3b6007}, out 0x180259be0.
trace:d2d:d2d_factory_AddRef 0x1def990 increasing refcount to 2.
trace:d2d:d2d_factory_Release 0x1def990 decreasing refcount to 1.
trace:loaddll:load_builtin_dll Loaded L"C:\\windows\\system32\\dwrite.dll" at 0x7f6dc7d90000: builtin
errle:CoCreateInstanceEx apartment not initialised
fixme:seh:dwarf_get_ptr unsupported encoding 9b
fixme:seh:dwarf_get_ptr unsupported encoding 24
fixme:seh:dwarf_get_ptr unsupported encoding 85
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x1800fbf6b (thread 0026), starting debugger...
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:35 AM   #243
Jack Winter

Quote:
d2d1 wine error

Maybe it's the D2D1createfactory function?

trace:loaddll:load_builtin_dll Loaded L"C:\\windows\\system32\\dwrite.dll" at 0x7f6dc7d90000: builtin
errle:CoCreateInstanceEx apartment not initialised
fixme:seh:dwarf_get_ptr unsupported encoding 9b
fixme:seh:dwarf_get_ptr unsupported encoding 24
fixme:seh:dwarf_get_ptr unsupported encoding 85
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x1800fbf6b (thread 0026), starting debugger...
I don't really know enough about wine tracing to be able to help, maybe you can ask on the #winehackers freenode channel or on the wine-devel mailing list. I've just used it to trace stuff in wineasio when I refactored it, and for studying what dlls get loaded, etc. I think I've seen someone getting help in irc trying to create patches for something similar, but I might be wrong...
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 12-28-2017, 03:42 AM   #244
Jack Winter

osxmidi, I'm hoping you can check/fix something for me. I bought the fabfilter fx bundle as it's kick @ss and works almost flawlessly in reaper with linvst. Two small issues though.

One concerns resizing the gui of the plugin. Looks like the embedding frame and canvas doesn't change, this is not a huge problem as closing and reopening the fx gui takes care of it.

The other is that the plugin doesn't seem to get any keyboard input, thus I can't input values with the keyboard, nor use ctrl/alt-click etc. This is a little bit more inconvenient, but also not a show stopper, apart from that they all seem to run flawlessly.

Link to demo version: https://download.fabfilter.com/fftotalbundlex64.exe
Old 12-28-2017, 03:46 AM   #245
osxmidi

I've tried it with the native linux Intel, ati and nvidia drivers and it's the same result.

From the traces, d2d1 loads and creates a factory and then dwrite loads and then crash.

The following functions are exported by this dll (dwrite.dll)
DWriteCreateFactory

Maybe something going on between d2d1, dwrite and opengl.

4duhwinnn got Serum working (sort of) with some overrides.

Serum, Spire, MT Power DrumKit, OB-PRO and others are the ones with d2d1 problems.

It doesn't seem to be a driver problem (3 different drivers do the same thing) and it doesn't seem to be be a wine unimplemented function, so it looks like some sort of wine bug in a function either in d2d1 or dwrite or both.

I might play around with some overrides and see what happens.

Last edited by osxmidi; 12-28-2017 at 04:23 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:53 AM   #246
Jack Winter

I think we have to be patient with d2d1 as it's slowly being developed. Most likely the focus is on d3d though, as most people want to run games not audio plugins It might help if we create bug reports though, as like that they will see that there is interest in d2d1 and they will get bugs to fix and links to plugins to test with.

You can add http://www.acustica-audio.com/index....179&Itemid=305 to the list, as afaik they work, and can draw some knobs, but not others.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:29 AM   #247
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
osxmidi, I'm hoping you can check/fix something for me. I bought the fabfilter fx bundle as it's kick @ss and works almost flawlessly in reaper with linvst. Two small issues though.

One concerns resizing the gui of the plugin. Looks like the embedding frame and canvas doesn't change, this is not a huge problem as closing and reopening the fx gui takes care of it.

The other is that the plugin doesn't seem to get any keyboard input, thus I can't input values with the keyboard, nor use ctrl/alt-click etc. This is a little bit more inconvenient, but also not a show stopper, apart from that they all seem to run flawlessly.

Link to demo version: https://download.fabfilter.com/fftotalbundlex64.exe
I did implement gui embedded resizing in one test version but it was so timing dependent on the hosts that I dropped it.

Like, I could get it working ok with Reaper but then it wouldn't work with Ardour.

I'll have to look into the keyboard forwarding and if that's possible with wine and whatever.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:07 AM   #248
Jack Winter

Quote:
I did implement gui embedded resizing in one test version but it was so timing dependent on the hosts that I dropped it.

Like, I could get it working ok with Reaper but then it wouldn't work with Ardour.

I'll have to look into the keyboard forwarding and if that's possible with wine and whatever.
That's great, keyboard is somewhat of an issue, the gui is relatively unimportant. Though I can't say that I personally care very much about what happens in ardour B)

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2017, 06:15 AM   #249
osxmidi

So far I've enabled "send all keyboard input to plugin" and I can't get any sign of keys being sent to linvst.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:23 AM   #250
Jack Winter

I tried that too, tried also without the embedding. How is this supposed to work, LinVst gets the input from the host and sends it to the plugin, or the plugin gets it from wine?

Have been trying to trace a little in wine, but mostly am too ignorant of wine to understand what's going on

Cheers for trying, we'll get it someday...

Edit: Pro-Q2 is a good plugin to test with. Double click gets creates a point, double clicking controls at the bottom when a point is selected brings up a text entry box. But I have to do some big time testing now, as it seems like some of the modifier click on the point do work. Let me test and get back to you, as I'm quite puzzled now

Last edited by Jack Winter; 12-29-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:26 PM   #251
osxmidi

Quote:
I tried that too, tried also without the embedding. How is this supposed to work, LinVst gets the input from the host and sends it to the plugin, or the plugin gets it from wine?

Have been trying to trace a little in wine, but mostly am too ignorant of wine to understand what's going on

Cheers for trying, we'll get it someday...

Edit: Pro-Q2 is a good plugin to test with. Double click gets creates a point, double clicking controls at the bottom when a point is selected brings up a text entry box. But I have to do some big time testing now, as it seems like some of the modifier click on the point do work. Let me test and get back to you, as I'm quite puzzled now
I think that Reaper is supposed to send effEditKeyDown and effEditKeyUp messages to the linux vst (in this case linvst.so) and then the vst does what it does with them (in the case of linvst, linvst would pass them on to the windows vst running under wine).

But, linvst is getting no effEditKeyDown and effEditKeyUp messages with the "send all keyboard input to plugin" option enabled.

In other words, I'm not totally sure about what Reaper is doing and what linvst needs to do.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:53 AM   #252
Jack Winter

Quote:
I think that Reaper is supposed to send effEditKeyDown and effEditKeyUp messages to the linux vst (in this case linvst.so) and then the vst does what it does with them (in the case of linvst, linvst would pass them on to the windows vst running under wine).

But, linvst is getting no effEditKeyDown and effEditKeyUp messages with the "send all keyboard input to plugin" option enabled.

In other words, I'm not totally sure about what Reaper is doing and what linvst needs to do.
To be honest I don't really have a clue what is supposed to happen and what is going on. I'm making some progress in diagnosing though. I loaded pro-q2 in reaper for wine, and there it all appears to work, even though after entering a numerical value, the use of enter to close the input box was inconsistent.

In R4W things like ctrl/alt/shift-click seem to work as it should. For instance shift drag changes a value slowly. In R4L it's very inconsistent, when trying different modifier-click it would sometimes work, but still be enabled after letting go of the modifier. So something does occasionally get through, just not the way intended nor in a consistent manner.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:01 AM   #253
Jack Winter

I just tried both the embedded and the standalone versions in both reaper and ardour. Results were similar, embed not working good at all in this context, with a standalone window modifier+click/drag seems to work more or less ok, since I just bought the plugins I'm a little unsure exactly how they work in windows. Still no keyboard entry of values though.

Edit: a good test is, to insert pro-q2, double click to create a point, then check if shift-drag works to slow down the value change. Then double click on the freq/gain/q knob at the bottom to see if a value can be entered. If both of those can be accomplished I think this issue (or 2 issues) can be considered solved.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:04 AM   #254
osxmidi

Host receives key press messages from Windows (WM_KEYDOWN/WM_KEYUP) (KeyPress KeyRelease for Linux) and distributes these to the plugin with the editKeyUp() and editKeyDown() VST messages. The plugin can then respond to the key press and return to the host whether it "consumed" the key press. If not consumed, then the host checks the key for host key shortcuts.

Last edited by osxmidi; 12-30-2017 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:23 AM   #255
Jack Winter

That would explain it, but doesn't explain why exactly the same happens in ardour?

But sure it could be a reaper problem too, I don't know enough about this to speculate. This is also somewhat unchartered territory
Old 12-30-2017, 04:28 AM   #256
osxmidi

Quote:
That would explain it, but doesn't explain why exactly the same happens in ardour?

But sure it could be a reaper problem too, I don't know enough about this to speculate. This is also somewhat unchartered territory
I know what happens with Ardour.

Ardour just doesn't have any key forwarding code for Linux which I think is a bit strange seeing that it's a Linux based DAW (at least originally) but I think Ardour was pretty late in supporting vst anyway from what I've read.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:05 AM   #257
osxmidi

Quote:

I just tried VST Speek https://blog.wavosaur.com/vst-speek-beta-for-linux/

It needs libqtgui4 and libqtcore4

It notes the Ardour keyboard problem and other hosts causing problems.

I can't get text to enter with Reaper so I don't know what Reaper is doing but maybe it's similar to Ardour, I don't know.

The VST Speek dirty hack worked btw.

Also this http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/t...phrase-editor/

Last edited by osxmidi; 12-30-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:53 AM   #258
Jack Winter

It's possible that the keyboard input problem lies in how reaper runs linux vsts. But it still doesn't explain the difference in shift-drag between embedded and standalone linvst. With the standalone variant, shift drag on an eq point does work as expected, but with the embedded it doesn't. Same behavior observed in ardour.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:57 PM   #259
Nixon

I had the same issue with redux vst (linux) in linux reaper , I would be very happy if this gets fixed.
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:09 AM   #260
Jack Winter

osxmidi, let's forget keyboard input, that might very well be reaper or something else. As far as I can understand from other linux plugin devs it's also a bit of hit and miss, supposedly the plugin might get the events directly or get them from the host via the VST protocol.

But there is something wrong with kb modifiers at least in the embedded version, seems to work ok in the standalone version (but would need long time testing to be sure, in any case it's way better). Also I tested some u-he lvst and they seem to have no problem in reaper with modifier-mouse.

If testing with pro-q2 (embedded) then it's enough to play with the following to see that it kind of works sometimes, but that it also seems to get stuck in the wrong mode sometimes.

A few modifiers when using the dot in the display:

drag hor: change freq
drag vert: change gain
ctrl-ver drag: change q
shift drag: fine-tune
Hold down alt to restrain movement, to either freq, gain or in combination with ctrl q.

Alt-click: disable band
Ctrl-Alt-click: change shape
Alt-shift-click change slope

There are more, but trying these things might show how they don't work, or how it seems that the plugin thinks a modifier is pressed when it's not. Somehow I get the impression that the state of Alt is involved in all of this, but still haven't figured out if this is the only problem.

On the good news side, I don't think LinVst in embedded mode is totally responsible for not resizing the host window properly. The same thing happens with Satin as a LVST. So there reaper itself might very well be broken. But I'll test that some other day.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:39 AM   #261
Jack Winter

Quote:
The embedded window is a child window and Reapers embedded window frame window (that the child window fits into) is the parent.

The standalone window is just a window.

So they act differently.
Yes I do understand that, was just trying to be complete in my report.

I think we are discussing a few potentially unrelated issues at once. I just mentioned the resizing as I found other LVSTs with the same problem.

I also think that the text entry problem might be an unrelated issue, so let's leave it out. Others have told me that this is problematic on linux.

So for me personally that leaves the state of the modifier keys, Ctrl, Alt & Shift. This would be the most important issue for me personally to get working. From my testing it appears that they get through to the embedded window albeit in an inconsistent manner. Sometimes they work, sometimes not, and sometimes the plugin seem to think that a modifier key is pressed when actually not.

Don't know what the reason might be. Something time dependent, or do some of them get lost, I don't know. What part of the code should I look at if I try to solve this myself? Don't have time right now, but still have a week of vacation, so I might have a go next week.

I sincerely hope that I'm not being a bother, and am very thankful for you taking a look at what is happening! At the same time I'd dearly like to get this sorted, as I much prefer the embedded window to the stand alone
Old 12-31-2017, 10:00 PM   #262
osxmidi

Quote:
Yes I do understand that, was just trying to be complete in my report.

I think we are discussing a few potentially unrelated issues at once. I just mentioned the resizing as I found other LVSTs with the same problem.

I also think that the text entry problem might be an unrelated issue, so let's leave it out. Others have told me that this is problematic on linux.

So for me personally that leaves the state of the modifier keys, Ctrl, Alt & Shift. This would be the most important issue for me personally to get working. From my testing it appears that they get through to the embedded window albeit in an inconsistent manner. Sometimes they work, sometimes not, and sometimes the plugin seem to think that a modifier key is pressed when actually not.

Don't know what the reason might be. Something time dependent, or do some of them get lost, I don't know. What part of the code should I look at if I try to solve this myself? Don't have time right now, but still have a week of vacation, so I might have a go next week.

I sincerely hope that I'm not being a bother, and am very thankful for you taking a look at what is happening! At the same time I'd dearly like to get this sorted, as I much prefer the embedded window to the stand alone
I've worked it out and it's very simple.

I havn't tested any key input things before with LinVst so the problem never popped up.

I've already made the changes to the code at github.

With the TranslateMessage added I can edit the Saturn vst controls and they work by typing in a control value whereas before keyboard input didn't work.

Hopefully the modifiers are the same.

Last edited by osxmidi; 01-01-2018 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:14 AM   #263
osxmidi

I've made an attempt at embedded window resizing.

Changes are at github.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:47 AM   #264
swindus

Thanks, that's a nice addition. I checked the resizing with some Klanghelm plugins (http://www.klanghelm.com). Resizing works with VUMT Deluxe but not with MJUC plugin. The Reaper frame of the embedded plugin resizes but the plgin gui is not redrawn. Overall the redrawing of the plugin graphics is a little bit sluggish. Anyway will do some more testing.

I also use D16 plugins and generally they work. Resizing does also not redraw the plugin graphics. And I can crash the wine process by double clicking a preset name in the opened preset browser of the plugin. Normally the user can edit the preset name after a double click.
swindus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #265
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by swindus View Post
Thanks, that's a nice addition. I checked the resizing with some Klanghelm plugins (http://www.klanghelm.com). Resizing works with VUMT Deluxe but not with MJUC plugin. The Reaper frame of the embedded plugin resizes but the plgin gui is not redrawn. Overall the redrawing of the plugin graphics is a little bit sluggish. Anyway will do some more testing.

I also use D16 plugins and generally they work. Resizing does also not redraw the plugin graphics. And I can crash the wine process by double clicking a preset name in the opened preset browser of the plugin. Normally the user can edit the preset name after a double click.
I think window resizing might be a bit hit and miss.

"And I can crash the wine process by double clicking a preset name in the opened preset browser of the plugin. Normally the user can edit the preset name after a double click."

That could be a wine thing.

The resizing vst's I've tested so far that work (on my system anyway) are Loomer Manifold and FabFilter Saturn and Blue Cat's FreqAnalyst.

I've made a few updates to the code as well.

edit: made a few more updates

Last edited by osxmidi; 01-01-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:40 PM   #266
osxmidi

Another thing is that to be able to edit control values with the keyboard, the winecfg option "Allow the window manager to control the windows" needs to be unchecked and unchecking it also seems to help in some way with wines gui response on my system.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:26 AM   #267
Jack Winter

Quote:
Another thing is that to be able to edit control values with the keyboard, the winecfg option "Allow the window manager to control the windows" needs to be unchecked and unchecking it also seems to help in some way with wines gui response on my system.
Good job!

I can report the following:

1. With latest version from your git repo, resize of the fabfilter gui works fine.

2. With the winecfg option "Allow the window manager to control the windows" unchecked, I can indeed input numerical values, has the unfortunate side effect of making reaper unresponsive when close a plugin window, in the console output is see the following:

X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GetWindowAttributes)
Resource id in failed request: 0x7400003
Serial number of failed request: 163
Current serial number in output stream: 164

System is Archlinux+KDE so the windowmanager is kwin, going to see about installing a few others to test with.

3. Modifier+click in pro-q2 still seems inconsistent no matter how "Allow the window manager to control the windows" is set.

Congrats on getting the resizing of embedded windows working! If I come across more windows vsts that can resize the gui, I'll test and let you know. The cleanup of the makefiles is much appreciated too, looks much cleaner now.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:03 PM   #268
osxmidi

Quote:
Good job!

1. With latest version from your git repo, resize of the fabfilter gui works fine.

2. With the winecfg option "Allow the window manager to control the windows" unchecked, I can indeed input numerical values, has the unfortunate side effect of making reaper unresponsive when close a plugin window, in the console output is see the following:

System is Archlinux+KDE so the windowmanager is kwin, going to see about installing a few others to test with.

3. Modifier+click in pro-q2 still seems inconsistent no matter how "Allow the window manager to control the windows" is set.

Congrats on getting the resizing of embedded windows working! If I come across more windows vsts that can resize the gui, I'll test and let you know. The cleanup of the makefiles is much appreciated too, looks much cleaner now.
Seems like the window manager is preventing keyboard input working with wine.

When I turn "Allow the window manager to control the windows" off it can make things unstable for the embedded version, so I don't think it's much of a solution to anything.

The standaone window might have different keyboard focus to the embedded window, so modifiers work in different ways.

Turning off "Allow the window manager to control the windows" is ok with the standalone version and the modifiers work as well.

The embedded version has Reaper's gtk and child windows and the window manager and wine all in the mix and therefore more things to possibly go wrong.

The standalone version stands apart from Reaper's gui so it's much simpler.

Last edited by osxmidi; 01-03-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:22 AM   #269
4duhwinnn

Happy 2018! Looks like great progress early in the new year!

I'm getting stumped by some standalone instruments
that won't work, despite having plugin versions
that work fine. For example, Dimension Pro and
Kontakt 5 Factory Selection standalones work OK,
but the SugarBytes Aparillo demo standalone doesn't. Everything
on the gui responds to midi, it shows as connected in qjackctl,
it shows wineasio and my mAudio card as accepted in it's
audio it's preferences, qwerty and midi keys show as triggering
notes on it's virtual keyboard, but for all that, total silence.

It offers options for wine midi mapper, and wine alsa output,
which lead to a 'Couldn't start Midi-Engine' message.
The midi and midi-through ports from the soundcard can be applied,
but to no avail.

I've looked for wineasio registry entries and flipped some,
but still having no luck. Any clues will be greatly appreciated.

On a brighter note, Kirnu Cream, a very well featured arpeggiator,
is working fine in linux or wine/reaper, and registers like U-he,
click the logo, and add name/serial-number. $15 for now,
at www.pluginboutique. It has handy pitch and rate dials
to dial in the arpeggio to existing pieces that may not be
precisely on the grid.

On the boutique site, choose some software category,
then you'll see a search box,
to aid finding things of interest.

Iris 2 is also on sale about $40, with an 11 gig sample lib,
should temptation call. I've bravely resisted...so far.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:01 AM   #270
swindus

Resizing works now for all my plugins (Klanghelm, DMGAudio, D16) too. Great!
swindus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:43 AM   #271
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by swindus View Post
Resizing works now for all my plugins (Klanghelm, DMGAudio, D16) too. Great!
Good to know that it's working.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:34 AM   #272
osxmidi

Quote:
Good job!

The Ctrl-Alt click and Alt-shift click modifiers work pretty well in Tracktion with the embedded window.

I can get Ctrl-Alt click to work in Reaper and Ardour but Alt-shift click doesn't work that great.

Alt-shift click doesn't work at all in Bitwig but Ctrl-Alt click does.

It might depend on what the DAW is doing with the modifiers.

Last edited by osxmidi; 01-03-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:05 AM   #273
osxmidi

The Pro Q Ctrl-Alt click and Alt-shift click modifiers work well with the embedded version and Tracktion, they work the same way as the standalone version.

I've found out for Reaper and Ardour that Alt-shift click needs to be done and then the Alt-shift keys need to be lifted and then another click needs to be done and then the slope works.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:10 AM   #274
osxmidi

Quote:
I just tried VST Speek https://blog.wavosaur.com/vst-speek-beta-for-linux/

It needs libqtgui4 and libqtcore4

It notes the Ardour keyboard problem and other hosts causing problems.

I can't get text to enter with Reaper so I don't know what Reaper is doing but maybe it's similar to Ardour, I don't know.

The VST Speek dirty hack worked btw.

Also this http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/t...phrase-editor/

Now VST Speek is working in Reaper, must have been some problem with my system.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #275
4duhwinnn

edit: on sale for $9 until Jan 7th at the kvraudio.com marketplace

https://www.kvraudio.com/marketplace...-seaweed-audio

I installed the Fathom synth (it's a modular synth)
No problems with the controls and sound in very brief tests with
wine/reaper, apparently the mono version is free, $45 for the
stereo version, a brief review and download link are here:

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/201...-plugins-2017/

also

https://www.fathomsynth.com/#fathom

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/fat...-seaweed-audio

Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 01-04-2018 at 07:39 PM. Reason: clearitee
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #276
Jack Winter

Latest status of LinVst for me.

Vith the embedded version and the winecfg option "Allow the window manager to control the windows" unchecked, everything appears to work in fabfilter except for kb modifier + mouse. Now I can enter text in the various controls, but for instance ctrl-alt click seems to get stuck, afterwards each click will change band type, trying different combinations gets it unstucked at some point. Shift-drag which should slow down movement is also very erratic. Resize works fine! So all in all the plugin actually is very usable.

A new report, sstillwell plugins don't find the registration file, it looks for it in the present working dir, so maybe setting $PWD in the environment passed to the plugin, or changing directory before loading the .dll might fix it.

Resize also works with klanghelm's VUMT, but I can't get text entry on the scribble strip. The drag resize on their LUFS Meter is however not working right.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #277
osxmidi

Quote:

Vith the embedded version and the winecfg option "Allow the window manager to control the windows" unchecked, everything appears to work in fabfilter except for kb modifier + mouse. Now I can enter text in the various controls, but for instance ctrl-alt click seems to get stuck, afterwards each click will change band type, trying different combinations gets it unstucked at some point. Shift-drag which should slow down movement is also very erratic. Resize works fine! So all in all the plugin actually is very usable.

A new report, sstillwell plugins don't find the registration file, it looks for it in the present working dir, so maybe setting $PWD in the environment passed to the plugin, or changing directory before loading the .dll might fix it.

Resize also works with klanghelm's VUMT, but I can't get text entry on the scribble strip. The drag resize on their LUFS Meter is however not working right.
Ardour has a keyboard icon that displays "click to allow the plugin to receive keyboard events that Ardour would normally use as a shortcut".

That keyboard option is not implemented in Linux Ardour and Linux Ardour is working the same way with the keyboard modifiers as Linux Reaper is for the FabFilter plugins.

Linux Reaper has "send all keyboard input to plug-in" (which I assume is similar to Ardour's keyboard option) which doesn't make any difference.

Bitwig seems to be not passing on certain modifier combos to the plugin either.

Tracktion does seem to be passing keyboard modifiers to the plugin and the modifiers work with the FabFilter plugins.

Alt-Shift (or just Alt) mouse click is used by Reaper and Ardour and Bitwig for window moving.

Alt-Ctl mouse click doesn't seem to be used for anything in Reaper and Ardour and Bitwig.

If Reaper and Ardour and Bitwig are intercepting Alt-Shift then that could be the problem and it's not in my control to do much about it.

Alt-Ctl mouse click and Alt-Shift mouse click don't seem to be used for anything in Tracktion and that is probably why the modifiers work in Tracktion.

Maybe you could ask Justin if "send all keyboard input to plug-in" does anything.

When the window manager is turned off things actually speed up somewhat and it was causing some timing problems and BadWindow errors and also not having XInitThreads was causing badwindow errors in Ardour.

I'll look at the other things.

Last edited by osxmidi; 01-04-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:20 PM   #278
osxmidi

Quote:

Try this for the reg file.

It changes into the dll's directory.

The drag resize might be out of my control as well, I'll try a few things, Klanghelm doesn't seem to have demos though.
Attached Files
File Type: zip remotevstclient.cpp.zip (1.9 KB, 92 views)
Old 01-05-2018, 06:31 AM   #279
Jack Winter

Quote:
Try this for the reg file.

It changes into the dll's directory.

The drag resize might be out of my control as well, I'll try a few things, Klanghelm doesn't seem to have demos though.
This did not help, maybe if you change directory before running lin-vst-server.exe, or possibly setting $PWD in the environment before running lin-vst-server.exe?

And am sorry for wasting your time, I didn't realize that VUMT didn't have a demo, and even worse, the LUFS meter is from a company called Klangfreund not klanghelm), and it's a linux VST included in the distroh bundle... So that resizing doesn't work is a reaper problem and nothing to do with linvst...

Last edited by Jack Winter; 01-05-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:43 AM   #280
Jack Winter

Regarding fabfilter, I've come to the conclusion that unchecking "Allow the window manager to control the windows" leads to an unstable system.

So I'm back at the starting point regarding kb input

I'll ask justin exactly what "send all keyboard input to plugin" is supposed to do and if it's supposed to work on linux. It seems that even without this option set for instance Alt-click works in pro-q2, it correctly toggles bypass for the frequency band, so it seems to me that it does get to the plugin correctly, while other combinations don't do so consistently.