Old 11-25-2022, 04:32 PM   #1
AustinFC
Human being with feelings

Default mac compatibility?

Hi all!

Would absolutely love and appreciated some guidance here.

Just getting back into the game but my old school mac doesn't seem to able to handle a running reaper. Even if it's one track of audio or 200, the CPU jumps to 200% and the audio stutters.

I've attached specs and activity monitor. I thought that the hardware was enough but maybe not.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 10.16.02.png (8.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 09.52.05.png (18.6 KB, 42 views)
AustinFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 03:27 PM   #2
LugNut

Hi,

There are ppl here using 2012 macbooks successfully. Try posting in the Mac part of the forum.
BTW what audio interface?
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:41 AM   #3
AustinFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,

There are ppl here using 2012 macbooks successfully. Try posting in the Mac part of the forum.
BTW what audio interface?
Ok thanks I'll do that! Just a line 6 UX1 for now but I do have an m-audio and presonus ones that I'm yet to try. Thanks
Old 11-27-2022, 06:35 AM   #4
souk21

Yep that's strange, I've been using REAPER on a 2012 macbook air with worse specs and haven't run into any issue.

Did you try using the built-in soundcard just to make sure it's not related to your line6 ?
souk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:54 AM   #5
serr

I was running live sound with Reaper on a 2007 Macbook 4,1 back in the day. Reaper and Mac is usually the height of stability. Live sound to hundreds of audio tracks studio projects.

So... something's broken. Check the hard drive first usually. Do you have a SSD installed for your main system/apps drive?
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:00 PM   #6
AustinFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by souk21 View Post
Yep that's strange, I've been using REAPER on a 2012 macbook air with worse specs and haven't run into any issue.

Did you try using the built-in soundcard just to make sure it's not related to your line6 ?
Yes initially I only used the built-in sound card. Thought that the lack of an interface may be the issue so dug out my old school UX1. Exactly the same! Thanks man, I was so sure that my mac had enough specs to run at least a simple reaper project... hmmm
Old 11-27-2022, 06:02 PM   #7
AustinFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I was running live sound with Reaper on a 2007 Macbook 4,1 back in the day. Reaper and Mac is usually the height of stability. Live sound to hundreds of audio tracks studio projects.

So... something's broken. Check the hard drive first usually. Do you have a SSD installed for your main system/apps drive?
Damn! Well yeah main system is running from a half T SSD. My mac is so fast with everything else (coding, movies etc) that's why I was surprised with reaper being slow. I'll take a look into the SSD anyway see if I can find anything. So strange.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:26 AM   #8
souk21

Have you tried a clean/portable install?

Another thing worth checking would be the audio settings: block/buffer size and sampling rate.

You can also have a look at REAPER's performance meter to see if something stands out.
souk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:31 AM   #9
Big A

Default Success!

I seem to have gotten everything working. I simply did a fresh install of Reaper. No all my plugins are visible. Record enable works thru my Soundgrid network. Anyone installing on the latest Macs with apple silicone, make sure to install the correct -ARM64 (universal) edition. I may have screwed up and hit the wrong install. Not sure. I will do one more update after I have a chance to do some mixing.
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 05:10 AM   #10
Big A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
I seem to have gotten everything working. I simply did a fresh install of Reaper. No all my plugins are visible. Record enable works thru my Soundgrid network. Anyone installing on the latest Macs with apple silicone, make sure to install the correct -ARM64 (universal) edition. I may have screwed up and hit the wrong install. Not sure. I will do one more update after I have a chance to do some mixing.

Sorry guys. I wasn’t trying to hyjack this thread. I posted in the wrong one.
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote