Old 03-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
KevinW
Human being with feelings

Default OSC for OLD Tablet PC?

So, I have this 2001 or -02 vintage Tablet PC. It currently acts as sort of a media server to my home stereo, but I was wondering if there was any way to put it to use to control Reaper.

From what I can glean from the various threads and the OSC website, it would seem the answer is "yes", and that all I need is a piece of software that would run on the tablet (e.g, TouchOSC, but without the "Touch" part.) But I'm stuck there. What software is recommended, and what is the next step? Any guidance would be appreciated.

I thought about trying out the reaper_www thingy, but now the excitement seems to have turned to OSC. Assuming this relic is useful at all, where should I invest my time?
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
So, I have this 2001 or -02 vintage Tablet PC. It currently acts as sort of a media server to my home stereo, but I was wondering if there was any way to put it to use to control Reaper.

From what I can glean from the various threads and the OSC website, it would seem the answer is "yes", and that all I need is a piece of software that would run on the tablet (e.g, TouchOSC, but without the "Touch" part.) But I'm stuck there. What software is recommended, and what is the next step? Any guidance would be appreciated.

I thought about trying out the reaper_www thingy, but now the excitement seems to have turned to OSC. Assuming this relic is useful at all, where should I invest my time?
What operating system does it run?

(If you simply want to play around with OSC, perhaps find an old pc and install Linux + Pure data, you could for example map all the keyboard keys to actions).
Old 03-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
What operating system does it run?

(If you simply want to play around with OSC, perhaps find an old pc and install Linux + Pure data, you could for example map all the keyboard keys to actions).
Thanks for the reply. It runs XP32 (tablet PC edition). Are there any Windows based apps that you might recommend?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Rellik

Yeah, I have that question as well - anybody use or make any HTML5 apps that transmit OSC via websocket to a server?
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Banned

There may be some variant of Pure data that runs on it, perhaps. Or maybe give johnrule's software a try, I haven't tried it myself yet, but afaik that just uses a browser?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Youn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
Yeah, I have that question as well - anybody use or make any HTML5 apps that transmit OSC via websocket to a server?
No, not me anyways, but it would be possible, not with websocket though but some other gateway like Pure Data, Python, Perl, etc... it would actually be pretty simple to get working. The more time-consuming part is designing the interface.

You should probably figure out what your needs are first though, because the www stuff can do basics like transport, volume/pan and can trigger any "action" within reaper. The osc stuff can do more, like vst parameter control, but requires more setup and is a bit more complicated.
Youn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youn View Post
The more time-consuming part is designing the interface.
Word.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
KevinW

Thanks for the replies.

My needs are exactly "none", and my wants probably tend toward "everything".

I will check out the John Rule software and the WWW method and do some experimenting in the coming weeks.

Or, maybe I'll just get an Ipad and trash the 10 year old tablet. Seems like such a waste, though...
Old 03-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
johnrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
There may be some variant of Pure data that runs on it, perhaps. Or maybe give johnrule's software a try, I haven't tried it myself yet, but afaik that just uses a browser?
Thanks for the referral "Banned"!

I added special code for the www control so that you could compile into (basically) a web app with custom interface. You design the interface in my RTE (Run Time Editor) and then convert to html. The feedback is pretty simple, but effective.

Download my RTE software and look for the "Reaper Control" project, convert to html, and test. The conversion defaults to an "html" folder in the RCS Programming installation folder. The default page name is "Main", so your url would be:

Code:
http://localhost:8808/html/Main.html
8808 is the port Justin uses for the built-in http server.

So whatever you call the folder and your "index" page is used in the url as the path. Basically, you just throw that whole folder into the Reaper www folder and viola!

It might be easier to use the OSC control stuff since it just works right from the RTE without any conversion (the RTE is a "live" editor). Try the "Reaper OSC Control" project that is in the "Examples" folder in the install folder...just set your address and port at the top, press "Update", and you're set!
johnrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
johnrule

For those of you that wonder what a 10 year old Tablet PC looks like:

This is a Qbe Tablet PC with a 13 inch touch screen, camera, firewire, wireless, and XP3...works great!

When I took this out in the field, people would always ask me if it was an Apple.
johnrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
plamuk

Glovepie.

look it up and use it.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote