Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-29-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
Wavelength
Human being with feelings

Default SOLVED - Midi Editor Keyboard - No sound

See SOLVED-Solution in post #'s 2, 3, 4, and 5 below:

--- Original post ---

Ok, been at this for awhile but cannot locate a solution. Watching this video by Kenny Gioia titled, "Creating Midi Chords in Reaper" (link below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itSICuAhgNQ

Following the video but not getting any sound at all from the midi editor keyboard. I inserted a new track (Track --> Insert Track) and no effects. However, in regards to the video, not sure what type of track was initially inserted or what effects were added as I see his FX is activated in the track. Thank you.

See screen shot below:

SYSTEM Specs:
Dell Latitude E6530
Intel Core i5-3360M cpu @ 2.80GHz processor 2.80GHz
Hardrive: 234 GB
16 gigs RAM
Windows7-professional 64 bit OS

REAPER 64 bit - v6.10/x64 rev d5f520 May 9,2020

Audio Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen.

Last edited by Wavelength; 05-30-2020 at 08:58 AM.
Wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #2
Stella645

You would need to load a vst instrument as an FX.

Reaper doesn't come with much in the way of vsti ...you could load reasynth and get a sound but you'll want to download some other instruments and install them.

Here's a decent free piano to get you started.

https://neovst.com/piano-one/

There's loads of free stuff available if you search, though not always of the highest quality some are actually very good.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
Wavelength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
You would need to load a vst instrument as an FX.

Reaper doesn't come with much in the way of vsti ...you could load reasynth and get a sound but you'll want to download some other instruments and install them.

Here's a decent free piano to get you started.

https://neovst.com/piano-one/

There's loads of free stuff available if you search, though not always of the highest quality some are actually very good.
Thank you Stella645. Appreciate the support! I'd be lost without this forum. Searched for a light Piano VST and dowloaded Salamander Piano by Big Cat (link below). I loaded the piano VST into the track FX and now I have sound in the Midi editor. Thank you.

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php..._Piano&id=2564

I've been working on learning Reaper for the past two months and understand the learning curve can be quite steep but I keep at it.

Question on the VST install please:

I noticed some piano VST's come with two files:

1) .dll file (placed the .dll file in Program files/Reaper(x64)/Plugins ...no problem)

2) .mse file (have no idea where to install this file but its part of the download. After installing the .dll file and going through the process of Options/Preferences/Plugins/VST/add/rescan, I then launched the VST and it says, "no instrument found". Where do I install the .mse file?

Thank you
Old 05-29-2020, 09:34 PM   #4
ivansc

Hi and welcome to the forums! That .mse file is the sounds that the .dll file uses & in most cases should be in the same directory as the .dll file. Although as you learn more about reaper, you are going to want to set up separate folders for the samples (sounds) that come with an instrument plugin in order to speed up scanning and loading of the plugins.

As you already figured out, some of this music-by-computer stuff is somewhat counter intuitive, but I hope you already found the Excellent free User Guide & the large number of free video tutorials at reaper.fm, all of which will help you find your way through.

And of course, the rest of us users are always happy to help when we can. That is how most of us learned what we know about Reaper.

P.S. decided to download and install the piano to make sure there aren't any weird things going on.... I will edit this post once its done. Ha Ha! Kinda funny. That file is actually contained in a separate folder called "instruments" so all you needed to do was move that folder into the same place you installed the .dll file, or launch the plugin and tell it where you put the instruments folder if you want to do it how I suggested above. Hopefully this will get you up and running. Have fun!

Last edited by ivansc; 05-29-2020 at 09:46 PM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:22 AM   #5
Wavelength

Default Success with BigCat Salamander Piano VST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Hi and welcome to the forums! That .mse file is the sounds that the .dll file uses & in most cases should be in the same directory as the .dll file. Although as you learn more about reaper, you are going to want to set up separate folders for the samples (sounds) that come with an instrument plugin in order to speed up scanning and loading of the plugins.

As you already figured out, some of this music-by-computer stuff is somewhat counter intuitive, but I hope you already found the Excellent free User Guide & the large number of free video tutorials at reaper.fm, all of which will help you find your way through.

And of course, the rest of us users are always happy to help when we can. That is how most of us learned what we know about Reaper.

P.S. decided to download and install the piano to make sure there aren't any weird things going on.... I will edit this post once its done. Ha Ha! Kinda funny. That file is actually contained in a separate folder called "instruments" so all you needed to do was move that folder into the same place you installed the .dll file, or launch the plugin and tell it where you put the instruments folder if you want to do it how I suggested above. Hopefully this will get you up and running. Have fun!
S-A-L-A-M-A-N-D-E-R (by BigCat)!!! Success! Thank you ivansc! Nothing better than seeing a detailed solution offered by a helpful forum member first thing in the morning! This is the reason I utilize Reaper as there exists a huge online community help forum, youtube vids, website support and affordable pricing.

ivansc, you're correct! Placed the Salamander sound file (.mse) in the same locations as the Salamander .dll file. Tried additional install configurations however your recommendation worked!

This whole VST-plugin-location topic is confusing. Plugin files are many types such as .mse, .txt, .dll etc. and each can belong to different file paths. I noticed some files don't have an extension at all (even after right-clicking and choosing 'properties" to identify file type).

Couple of questions please:

1) Is there a one-stop location video, tutorial or link that puts VST file locations into an easy-to-undersatnd answer as to why and where these files actually belong in Reaper? Continuing to search on my own and will post when I locate a good source.

2) Please see 1st screen-shot below. I'm basically asking about the referenced text file titled, "000-README-DO_NOT_INSTALL_VST_PLUGINS_HERE.TXT", located in the "Plugins" folder (Computer --> Local Disc (C) --> Program Files --> REAPER (x64) --> Plugins). Please see question inside screen-shot #2 below.

Thanks again ivansc!

Please see screen-shots below:

Salamander piano VST installation a SUCCESS!

Last edited by Wavelength; 05-30-2020 at 08:54 AM.