Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Default >> v4: Portable/parallel installation

If you want to try the REAPER 4 pre-releases without messing up your current v3 installation, there's this handy "Portable install" feature now:

Checking this option installs REAPER 4 to the destination folder without creating a "user folder" in %appdata% (so no files will touched/added/changed in your normal REAPER installation), all files go to the destination folder.

If you're overwriting an existing installation (REAPER 3 or 4) without having that checkbox ticked, REAPER will recognize your installation type and install accordingly.

However, keeping an eye on said "destination folder" and making sure you're installing the right REAPER version into the right folder is always recommended, but a mistake is usually not much of a problem (just install the proper version over the wrong one).

OSX:
On OSX, you can create a portable install by dragging REAPER.app from the installer DMG to its own new folder. Then create a new, empty file in that folder and name it 'reaper.ini'.

Note: for a portable install, make sure you choose a folder that you have permission to create files in! In a portable install, all of your user preferences, keyboard shortcuts, glued files in unsaved projects, etc are stored alongside the REAPER application itself. If you install REAPER portably to your normal applications folder, you may not be able to save preferences, shortcuts, temporary media, and so on.

Last edited by schwa; 12-15-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Solar
Human being with feelings

So in other word, choosing to install the Alpha Pre V4 in Portable mode, gives you the ability to have both icon of Stable 3.73 release and the Alpha, both can be launched individually with no problem at all ?

Thanx
Old 12-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
So in other word, choosing to install the Alpha Pre V4 in Portable mode, gives you the ability to have both icon of Stable 3.73 release and the Alpha, both can be launched individually with no problem at all ?

Thanx
Yes
Old 12-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
karbomusic

Default How to run V3 and V4 Alpha "Side by Side"

I thought I would create a specific set of instructions since so many would like to check out the V4 prerelease without mucking up their V3 install. Its much harder to explain than it is to do. It really isn't that difficult at all if you follow a few basic principles.

[IMPORTANT]
I've done limited testing with this on XP and Win7. If you feed yourself with Reaper, wait until someone who doesn't confirms the instructions below so I can edit anything I missed. That is entirely possible since everyone's configurations can vary wildly; it's also late and I'm tired. Use this as a guide, not the definitive answer. I'd like to see someone confirm this and give their blessing first to be safe. Outside of that, I think it will work fine.
[/IMPORTANT]

1. Backup your existing V3 install and settings

This is a safety step, don't skip it. Copy the following folders in their entirety to a safe location.

==> C:\Program Files\Reaper

==> \AppData\Reaper (Start > Run > %AppData%\Reaper) or C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Reaper (Vista/Win7) or C:\Documents & Settings\UserName\Application Data\Reaper (XP)

==> My Documents\Reaper Media (probably optional, should only contain WAV files & peaks)

2. Install Reaper 4 Pre Release

==> You must check the "Portable install" checkbox!

==> You must change the installation path to something other than the existing V3 location!

I recommend a USB pen drive or some other folder you have full rights to without any UAC protection. A folder on your desktop named ReaperV4 will even work for this. I suggest not installing it in C:\Program Files\ReaperV4 to prevent any chance of Windows of secretly redirecting any files to V3 locations just to be on the safe side.

[Default Installer Settings]

[V4 Coexistence Installer Changes]

==> Click next etc, and allow the install to complete.

At this point both versions are pretty much completely Side by Side and share zero common settings. If thats what you want, your done, Run V4 alpha and choose your sound card, VST folders etc. Stopping here means your pretty much testing Reaper 4 prerelease as-is out of the box with no customizations and zero V3 settings. If you want to go further and have V3 and V4 working while having V4 using the V3 settings, themes etc. continue with step 3 below..

3. Go ahead and launch V4 if you haven't already

Import your license if you wish. Go ahead and choose the soundcard and test basic functionality such as hitting play etc. I suggest spending 15-20 minutes at this stage checking out new features etc. If you import a bad setting over from V3 you wouldn't want to think it was a V4 bug etc. Be methodical, save some grief.

4. Copy V3 settings into the V4 folder

==> If your a cowboy copy them all at once, if more cautious copy them category by category test, shutdown reaper, copy the next, launch test and so on.
==> Copy the following folders into the V4 folder you installed to. If made the V3 backup copies in step one, just use AppData folder as the source:

ColorThemes
Cursors
Data
Effects
KeyMaps
TrackTemplates
ProjectTemplates
FXChains
Reaper.ini (optional) <== I don't really think this is needed. Make a backup of the V4 copy first.

5. Point your VST folders if needed.

If V4 isn't showing your 3rd party plugs, open Options > Preferences > VST > Add and add each folder that V3 has. In fact before you do this. Run V3, go to the same preference and copy the plugin paths to the clipboard. Close, V3, Open V4, Return to Options > Preferences > VST > Add and paste 'em in. Click Re-scan and let it scan all the Dlls. Note: I think Reaper is a single instance application. This means if V4 is open and you click on the V3 shortcut, V4 may pop into focus while V3 silently exits. (same vice versa). So don't let this throw you and assume V3 is busted. Shut down one version before attempting to launch the other one.

SUMMARY

By this point you should have a V3 install that is untouched. It should function as it always has because nothing about it has been changed provided you followed all the steps above. You should also have a functioning V4 prerelease version containing 99% of all settings that are available in V3. When you are done using V4 and need to remove it, simply delete that single ReaperV4 folder. If you want to upgrade to the latest alpha release just download and be sure to install the update to that same V4 location (overwrite don't delete) and all will be good. If you open that V4 folder, right-click on reaper.exe > send to > Desktop (create shortcut) and you'll have a nice V4 shortcut on your desktop.

Remember, you backed up all the V3 settings right? So, you can always copy these back over to their original locations if you phat fingered the install and installed over V3. That should get you back to your original V3 confing in an emergency. If you open an important project, you can make a copy of that project if you want to be really cautious or save any changes to a new V4 project. Of course you have all your important stuff backed up anyway.

Karbo

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-02-2010 at 10:12 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
gwok

whats the deal with the dual install on osx? not seeing the way right now

g
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
plamuk

is there any downside to installing REAPER as a portable install just to avoid having files in the appdata folder? ie, install reaper as portable install in c:/progfiles/reaper?

i never quite understood the point of the appdata folder anyway - why doesn't all this stuff just go in the /progfiles/reaper folder anyway? is it just for multiple user support? if so, couldn't that too be done all within 1 reaper folder under program files?
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
Jae.Thomas

to be honest, the portable install mentioned here is cool, but not completely nessecary if one simply does the following:

install reaper, wherever you like, with whatever options you want.

open reaper

go to options/show reaper resource path...

select everything from that folder

cut

go to where you installed reaper

paste

from now on, you'll have a portable installation, capable of surviving a reformat (providing it is on a separate partition/hard drive from your OS)

the advantage is you have the other options if you want (rearoute, etc) which, if you were to reformat, you could easily get back by simply installing reaper in that same folder, and enabling said options.

This is what I have done since v2 and all has been fine through 4a3
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
gwok

hey JBM, if i do that though, wont my v4 install still run off the original resource path in AppSupport(osx)?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
hey JBM, if i do that though, wont my v4 install still run off the original resource path in AppSupport(osx)?
on windows this does not happen. My appdata folder is totally empty, unused.

apparently, reaper looks first in it's own directory, which is awesome. If it doesn't find the files there, it looks in appdata.

not sure if this is the case in OSX, you might want to just back up your stuff and try it out

note - the method I have been using for years will not allow you different settings for different users.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
gwok

well i think i'ts working - tx - anyway im runnin v3 and v4 now at the same time for kicks - if it stable like this, might get a workflow runnin my main project in v3, and my little subsidiary projects in v4 (hail the project list!)

prolly askin for a crash but wtf

tx man
Old 12-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
on windows this does not happen. My appdata folder is totally empty, unused.

apparently, reaper looks first in it's own directory, which is awesome. If it doesn't find the files there, it looks in appdata.
Hmm... A non portable install should look in the install folder first, but if you then save a track template it "should" go to appdata. I'm curious as to that behavior though because I just installed both freshly in XP and even then the AppData folder populated once I started saving settings but not before. I assume it is the correct appdata folder... Just scractin my head here, that's all.

On the other point, yep, its simpler than I explained (if that's the one you mean) but some other questions in another post prompted the paranoid, extra thorough version.

Karbo
Old 12-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Hmm... A non portable install should look in the install folder first, but if you then save a track template it "should" go to appdata. I'm curious as to that behavior though because I just installed both freshly in XP and even then the AppData folder populated once I started saving settings but not before. I assume it is the correct appdata folder... Just scractin my head here, that's all.

On the other point, yep, its simpler than I explained (if that's the one you mean) but some other questions in another post prompted the paranoid, extra thorough version.

Karbo
it goes directly to where it should, here

[img]http://img263.**************/img263/6880/11011303851savetracktem.png[/img]
Old 12-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
it goes directly to where it should, here

[img]http://img263.**************/img263/6880/11011303851savetracktem.png[/img]
So that's the portable version? If so then, yes, it should never write outside of that folder.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #14
gwok

got v3 and v4 runnin together, both have unique screensets, and action shortcuts, so v4 seems to be running off its own settings for sure - have opened and closed both apps, and all setting were retained -=

best of both worlds!

stoked
Old 12-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #15
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
So that's the portable version? If so then, yes, it should never write outside of that folder.
this is the unofficial portable version as I described above.

installed normally, and the appdata folder contents extracted and put in the install folder.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #16
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
got v3 and v4 runnin together, both have unique screensets, and action shortcuts, so v4 seems to be running off its own settings for sure - have opened and closed both apps, and all setting were retained -=

best of both worlds!

stoked
no idea that would work that way. Do you have 3 and 4 in separate dirs?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #17
karbomusic

Quote:
this is the unofficial portable version as I described above.

installed normally, and the appdata folder contents extracted and put in the install folder.
OK, got it... Correct then its the same deal. Portable knows nothing of the AppData folder. Windows doesn't care who reads from the install folder which is why it reads from there first regardless of version. If it were a regular install it should care about trying to write to Program Files\Reaper and redirect the output automatically or the developer can do it directly.

Karbo
Old 12-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #18
gwok

based on the JBM method

v3:applications>
v4:applications>Reaper4>

also in the Reaper 4 folder is a copy of the v3 app data

got em both open right now - so far so good

edit: can even copy media via the clipboard between both apps - sweet

Last edited by gwok; 12-02-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #19
karbomusic

Quote:
based on the JBM method

v3:applications>
v4:applications>Reaper4>

also in the Reaper 4 folder is a copy of the v3 app data

got em both open right now - so far so good
Its the same method.. Short version is in the other thread as well. Glad you got it working for sure.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #20
mabian

I would suggest that a portable install would present the same location as the installer file + "\REAPER" as the default install location.

*much* less risk to screw an existing non portable install, this way...

EDIT: looks like alpha3 already takes care of this... almost like suggested

- Mario

Last edited by mabian; 12-03-2010 at 01:03 AM.
mabian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #21
Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
I would suggest that a portable install would present the same location as the installer file + "\REAPER" as the default install location.

*much* less risk to screw an existing non portable install, this way...

EDIT: looks like alpha3 already takes care of this... almost like suggested

- Mario
How? can you give more detailed on HOW Alpha 3 does take care of this already? Curious

Thanx

EDIT: Ok i think I see now what you mean by Alpha's takes care of how you install portable already. Here is a screnshot:

[IMG]http://img444.**************/img444/5861/alphaportableinstall.gif[/IMG]

Uploaded with **************

So my question now is, is this what you meant and is it ok for me at the end when I choose my destionation install path, in my case i choose D:\Reaper Alpha (can I add the Alpha) as a reminder for me? So like that every Alpha version I will just re-choose this path again? Oh by the I can also choose to add a Desktop icon as well it won't interfere with the 3.73 icon right?

Thanx guys

Last edited by Solar; 12-03-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #22
mabian

When you check the "portable flag" the default install path becomes "\REAPER", thus you are forced to choose a proper path. That means it will no longer write (by default) a portable installation to a non portable REAPER path.

- Mario
Old 12-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #23
karbomusic

Quote:
D:\Reaper Alpha (can I add the Alpha)
You can call it whatever you want...

D:\ReaperBlah
D:\Reaper4PleaseWork
D:\ReaperBeeper
D:\ThisIsMyReaperFolder

It really doesn't care, its simply installing EVERYTHING in to a single folder and it runs from there. That's why I mentioned USB stick. Not because you have to have one but because it truly is portable; everything is in one folder. When your done, just delete it.

Karbo
Old 12-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #24
Solar

Aight sounds good, Got it got it got it fellas!! its working well. So all I have to do now is to assign Alpha to my Vstplugins path to scan my Fx & vsti and get rolling.

One last question thought, what if I want to import same setting of my V3.73 as well as to install SWS.exe. Especially the FREEZE sws extension? I guess while installing the SWS.exe, just need to send it to the same install Path of the Portable right?

Thanx again for the help!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #25
karbomusic

Quote:
Aight sounds good, Got it got it got it fellas!! its working well. So all I have to do now is to assign Alpha to my Vstplugins path to scan my Fx & vsti and get rolling.

One last question thought, what if I want to import same setting of my V3.73 as well as to install SWS.exe. Especially the FREEZE sws extension? I guess while installing the SWS.exe, just need to send it to the same install Path of the Portable right?

You got me on the SWS part as I don't remember how it installs.

On another subject, I just opened one of my largest, complicated projects in both V3 and V4 making small changes and saving in both so that should offer some comfort. Especially if you make a backup copy of the project/media:

TCP/MCP V4 Alpha

TCP/MCP V3 3.69

Karbo

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-03-2010 at 11:53 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #26
gwok

Quote:

just copy your sws appdata>userplugins>sws, right into the same folder in v4
Old 12-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #27
brainwreck

When doing a portable install on top of a portable install, user preferences aren't retained. Can anything be done about this?
Old 12-06-2010, 04:18 AM   #28
jm duchenne

Quote:
just copy your sws appdata>userplugins>sws, right into the same folder in v4
Hi,
I don't see any userplugins folder in the ApplicationDatas/Reaper.
Could you be more precise ?
Thanks !
Old 12-06-2010, 04:27 AM   #29
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
When doing a portable install on top of a portable install, user preferences aren't retained. Can anything be done about this?
Happened to me too, then I discovered the new install was done on a REAPER subfolder inside the prev installation... pilot error, but "helped" by the fact that the portable mode installer automatically adds a \REAPER suffix to the chosen install path.

- Mario
Old 12-06-2010, 04:56 AM   #30
DarkStar

Quote:
but "helped" by the fact that the portable mode installer automatically adds a \REAPER suffix to the chosen install path.

- Mario
That's been in the v3 installer for ages. I manually delete that section of the path in the installer window before proceeding.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:59 AM   #31
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
That's been in the v3 installer for ages. I manually delete that section of the path in the installer window before proceeding.
Indeed, but the v3 installer didn't have a "portable" option.

- Mario
Old 12-06-2010, 07:21 AM   #32
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm duchenne View Post
Hi,
I don't see any userplugins folder in the ApplicationDatas/Reaper.
Could you be more precise ?
Thanks !
If running windows try:

Start > Run > %AppData%\Reaper

Karbo
Old 12-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #33
brainwreck

Quote:
Happened to me too, then I discovered the new install was done on a REAPER subfolder inside the prev installation... pilot error, but "helped" by the fact that the portable mode installer automatically adds a \REAPER suffix to the chosen install path.

- Mario
I didn't notice it before, but sure enough, there's a Reaper folder in my Reaper folder.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #34
jm duchenne

Quote:
If running windows try:

Start > Run > %AppData%\Reaper

Karbo
I have no problem to find the Reaper folder in Application Data, but like I said, there is no plugin or userplugin inside it, neither elsewhere.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #35
DarkStar

If you're looking for the sws plugin, it's in C:\Program Files\REAPER\Plugins here (XP Home).

It does put some config files in the AppData\Reaper folder too.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #36
Attic

Default Rewire?

So is it possible to get the Windows 64bit version running and then make a portable non 64bit install for those of us having problems getting full rewire compatibility in the 64 bit version? IE ... Pro tools being able to rewire into Reaper. The portable installer doesn't allow for the rewire check-box to be selected, does that mean rewire wont work or is it just that it already knows rewire exists and will use the existing install of it?
Attic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #37
schwa
Administrator

Bump: edited the first post with a note warning people not to install portably to their normal applications folder.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #38
gwok

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Bump: edited the first post with a note warning people not to install portably to their normal applications folder.
i thought this would be handy for os x - not sure if Reaper4 can be linked right into the apps folder though

[IMG]http://img704.**************/img704/7852/screenshot20101213at111r.png[/IMG]
By gwok at 2010-12-13
Old 12-16-2010, 02:26 AM   #39
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Just save your reaper.ini before install, and put it back over-writing the fresh reaper.ini created during the install.

I do it like this:
1. Open reaper.ini (the one that pertains to my portable install) in a text editor (I use TextPad)
2. Install the portable version of v4
3. After install, click "No" (do not run Reaper just yet)
4. From teh text editor, save the old reaper.ini file in its original location (this overwrites the fresh reaper.ini created during install)
5.Running the portable v4 now retains (most of?) the preferences
Old 01-20-2011, 12:58 AM   #40
DMoates

Im using osx and i just created a new folder for v4 in the apps folder and dragged it into that. I am running both seperatly at the same time without any issues i have seen so far. It even accessed my v3 preferences. Maybe i am doing something wrong without knowing it but it seems to be okay. If anyone has any input feel free.
DMoates is offline   Reply With Quote