Old 04-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #41
Smurf
Human being with feelings

Thank You for taking the time to post these two tracks s_sibs! A nice "before & after" example....
Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #42
lawrs

How bout a sample mix of music with rock distorted guitar? Would love to hear how it fairs when the sonic space is cluttered. Cheers.
lawrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #43
audioguy_on_ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
?

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Seems to me that my quote from that post is being taken out of context. I wonder why?
I was referring to the CRAFTS of playing and mixing. people wonder why mainstream music is crap. stuff like this is why. poorly played, poorly recorded stuff run thru a plug-in that makes it sound commercial. me, I want nuthin to do with it.
"We're like geeky and shit: I'm hanging out on a message board about a recording program. It's kinda expected to be all up in arms about something as ridiculously abstract as 24->16 bit dithering..." -RPR usr nickm
audioguy_on_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #44
RussUK

I've just grabbed a copy and will do a review video of it for the blog tonight.

R
Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #45
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy_on_ca View Post
I was referring to the CRAFTS of playing and mixing. people wonder why mainstream music is crap. stuff like this is why. poorly played, poorly recorded stuff run thru a plug-in that makes it sound commercial. me, I want nuthin to do with it.
But I wasn't saying you shouldn't do that way. I think the whole post I made has merit but taking that one part out of context makes it look wrong. Why not just voice your (well taken) opinion without quoting me out of context?
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #46
s_sibs

Quote:
Just a couple of points about this.

One, it's not the tools that make modern music crap, it's the people running the tools. Give 2 carpenters the same hammer and one may build you a crap house whist the other will build you a grand house...it's not the hammer's responsibility.

Two, you don't have to be making commercial music to find EZmix useful. It can work with all matter of audio sounds. Again, it just a hammer, it's up to the carpenter to make something with it...or not in your case.
Rainbow Sounds Recording
s_sibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #47
chrisharbin

well put

I'm just kinda erked that my "quote" was taken out of context when I was not trying to be on either side of the fence :shrug:
Old 04-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #48
Joystick

OMG, everybody jumps on the train of the mighty Preset!!!

Cool donw everybody,

I read things in this thread like "I spend hours on eq-uing a vocal track" and stuff like that.

There is no reason to panic and get the ready solution, what happened to the pure creativity that jumps out of the "try to do it yourself" state of mind?

Imagine if Justin was thinking, ok, I will take wxWidgets for the GUI of Reaper, and Juse for the audio engine, DirectX for the plugins and quicktime only for video. That is what you're doing to your creations when you start using other peoples presets, used to make you sound generic, designed to make you stop experimenting.

Just think and act, if you are trying all day to eq a vocal line, or you need 7 effects to make it sound correct, maybe it was all wrong from the start.

This "ready made" train will crash eventually as the big bubble of modelling did. The real deal is true hardware, plus some nice musicians with emotional content, technical background and some tweaking, after all the end result is always 80% of the recording.

As I say to my students, first learn how to place a microphone in the room, then fix your control and recording space acoustics, learn to hear your mixes through the microscopes we tend to call monitors, and then start making your thing. You will soon realize that you don't even need much eq, you can do it by the placement of the microphone and the angle of the guitarists pick.

Just my 2 cents.

Take care,

Cheers!
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #49
NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joystick View Post
OMG, everybody jumps on the train of the mighty Preset!!!

Cool donw everybody,

I read things in this thread like "I spend hours on eq-uing a vocal track" and stuff like that.

There is no reason to panic and get the ready solution, what happened to the pure creativity that jumps out of the "try to do it yourself" state of mind?

Imagine if Justin was thinking, ok, I will take wxWidgets for the GUI of Reaper, and Juse for the audio engine, DirectX for the plugins and quicktime only for video. That is what you're doing to your creations when you start using other peoples presets, used to make you sound generic, designed to make you stop experimenting.

Just think and act, if you are trying all day to eq a vocal line, or you need 7 effects to make it sound correct, maybe it was all wrong from the start.

This "ready made" train will crash eventually as the big bubble of modelling did. The real deal is true hardware, plus some nice musicians with emotional content, technical background and some tweaking, after all the end result is always 80% of the recording.

As I say to my students, first learn how to place a microphone in the room, then fix your control and recording space acoustics, learn to hear your mixes through the microscopes we tend to call monitors, and then start making your thing. You will soon realize that you don't even need much eq, you can do it by the placement of the microphone and the angle of the guitarists pick.

Just my 2 cents.

Take care,

Cheers!
Wow what a big steaming pile

NAS
Old 04-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #50
Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAS View Post
Wow what a big steaming pile

NAS
No, I don;t want to sound aggressive or something, I don't have any issues with the technologies related.

It's just that usually those tools cut your creativity, I see it every day, someone believes that a preset will make him the producer he is dreaming to be, that is at least misleading.

I usually say to my students to shut off the computer monitor when they are mixing so that they are not get dazzled from the nice graphics, just to use their ears.

Tools are meant to be tools, just don't let some marketing guy on the other side of the internet to take away what is left true, individual creativity of each and every one of us.

Other than that, no steam really, just my philosophy.

Thanks for reading,

Cheers!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #51
NAS

Yeah i see it all the time too
People using software instead of hardware
People using fonts instead of drawing all there writing in every image they ever create
People using cameras instead of paint and a canvas

I mean damn what the hell is this whole listening to music rubbish all about anyway , These bloody fools should just make music right ?
Listening to other peoples music is just a cheat right ?

Get a grip on reality please
It's just an FX unit

NAS
Old 04-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #52
s_sibs

I'm sorry if I fail to see the outrage/philosophy issues over a simple plugin. If it floats your boat, buy it, be happy and use it. If it doesn't fit with your philosophical view on mixing, then pass and use something else.

I just think that the more options there are the better.

What seems to be getting lost in this discussion is the target user for a product like EZmix. I looked at it from the start as a plugin for musicians that don't have the chops to get the sound they are looking for. They may not even have the want to learn. They may just want to write a song, drop a few EZmix plugins on the tracks and be satisfied with the results. Who are we to argue with their philosophy? It may also be helpful to professional engineers that want to make a quick but good sounding ruff for a client and not want to spend hours doing it.

I mean, this thing isn't everyone's cuppa, nothing is. But I don't think it's contributing to the end of civilization as some seem to think.

On a side note.

I think this is kinda funny on some level. Here we are discussing a mixing tool in the same way as people use to talk about how Autotune is killing mixing...or how digital recording instead of tape is ruining music...or how overdubbing is ruining the spontaneity of music recording...or how fill in the blank with any technology is ruining music...

This 'marketing guy on the other side of the internet' is out of here. Although, I take offense to the term as I'm first and foremost an audio engineer and producer and I don't spend my days dreaming up marketing schemes to sell plugins to poor, unsuspecting audio engineers.
Rainbow Sounds Recording

Last edited by s_sibs; 04-20-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #53
chrisharbin

Oh wow, we've gone all kvr :lol:

This all started because someone misquoted me? DOH!

Look, I apologize for real! Can we just stop now? Please?

Ok.....so back to the TT plug. It isn't going to replace eq's and such. It's a very well thought out way to get things done quicker for THOSE WHO WANT IT It's not meant to make things louder, or take away professional mixing or tie your shoes for you.

However, after using it a couple of days, I can say it has it's place in many peoples arsenal. The LPF/HPF are very useful. There are some nice kick drum presets and the reverbs are really quite nice.

Frankly, if it wouldn't have been x64 I would have probably passed as I can do much of that without but I can see this plug being another pallet for people, especially THE HOME HOBBYIST
Old 04-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #54
audioguy_on_ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs View Post
Just a couple of points about this.

One, it's not the tools that make modern music crap, it's the people running the tools. Give 2 carpenters the same hammer and one may build you a crap house whist the other will build you a grand house...it's not the hammer's responsibility.

Two, you don't have to be making commercial music to find EZmix useful. It can work with all matter of audio sounds. Again, it just a hammer, it's up to the carpenter to make something with it...or not in your case.
good analogy, hammer/carpenter. I guess I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone who has spent quite a bit of their life learning carpentry, and bettering their skills as a carpenter, rejecting the "miracle hammer". Apologies for voicing it so gruffly.
"We're like geeky and shit: I'm hanging out on a message board about a recording program. It's kinda expected to be all up in arms about something as ridiculously abstract as 24->16 bit dithering..." -RPR usr nickm
Old 04-20-2010, 08:47 PM   #55
NAS

Quote:
Blah blah all making sense
OK so you made a bunch of sense
Now go technically advise Toontrack to release a frikkin demo so i can try this badboy out
I really like the idea of this but sure won't be buying until i can try

NAS
Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #56
chrisharbin

What part of no demo did you not understand :hehe:
Old 04-21-2010, 04:52 AM   #57
Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAS View Post
Yeah i see it all the time too
People using software instead of hardware
People using fonts instead of drawing all there writing in every image they ever create
People using cameras instead of paint and a canvas

I mean damn what the hell is this whole listening to music rubbish all about anyway , These bloody fools should just make music right ?
Listening to other peoples music is just a cheat right ?

Get a grip on reality please
It's just an FX unit

NAS
The examples you make are not relevant, also I don't really hold a grudge against that kind of working, maybe I overreacted there. We are probably on the same track here.

Those plugins are good for a "quickie" but I would like to have button to let me tweak more, I'm talking for plugins like the new waves "producers' line" and stuff like that. Kinda like iZotope is doing with the quick panels and the more advanced setup you can choose to tweak.

For the musician/home studio guy/girl those product should be fine.

Quote:
I'm sorry if I fail to see the outrage/philosophy issues over a simple plugin. If it floats your boat, buy it, be happy and use it. If it doesn't fit with your philosophical view on mixing, then pass and use something else.

I just think that the more options there are the better.

What seems to be getting lost in this discussion is the target user for a product like EZmix. I looked at it from the start as a plugin for musicians that don't have the chops to get the sound they are looking for. They may not even have the want to learn. They may just want to write a song, drop a few EZmix plugins on the tracks and be satisfied with the results. Who are we to argue with their philosophy? It may also be helpful to professional engineers that want to make a quick but good sounding ruff for a client and not want to spend hours doing it.

I mean, this thing isn't everyone's cuppa, nothing is. But I don't think it's contributing to the end of civilization as some seem to think.

On a side note.

I think this is kinda funny on some level. Here we are discussing a mixing tool in the same way as people use to talk about how Autotune is killing mixing...or how digital recording instead of tape is ruining music...or how overdubbing is ruining the spontaneity of music recording...or how fill in the blank with any technology is ruining music...

This 'marketing guy on the other side of the internet' is out of here. Although, I take offense to the term as I'm first and foremost an audio engineer and producer and I don't spend my days dreaming up marketing schemes to sell plugins to poor, unsuspecting audio engineers.
You are right in many ways, but the marketing guy don;t want to sell on audio engineers, probably the target are musicians and hobbyists. Also as I stated before I don;t want to offend anybody and I'm sorry if I did.

Also I'm not the guy who believes that old vs new is something that exists, everything works fine, if it does the job you want it to, then it's probably ok. And digital vs Analog recorders is not a relative example. One relative example would be one sequencer that would let you use it's mixer and another one that would be named "Pop sequencer" and would mix for you.

Anyway, thanks for your time and answers, it's exactly why I love this forum!

Cheers!

Panoz
Old 04-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #58
Tonehenge

Default I was curious....

So I bought it. I was in the middle of a job for a client, which involved supplying quick and dirty ruffs of a live show I tracked on their behalf. What better way to test something like this?

In short, not bad actually. I can actually see this as useful to a pro, who needs to pull together demo mixes in a hurry, due to time and/or budgetary constraints. Ezmix is no substitute for the time honoured tradition of labouring over a mix to arrive at a satisfactory destination, especially when you consider the fact that you want all creative options at your disposal, but there is a place for this, and the low price makes it a worthwhile addition to the toolkit. I know it's a philosophical shot over the bow, and it wasn't long ago that I would have turned up my nose disapprovingly at this, but I am rethinking some of the more arbitrary postures I have maintained.

Try Ezmix out...you might find just one or two process presets that justify it's price.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #59
jefe

Because changing presets on a plugin like EZmix changes a lot of parameters at once, I see EZmix as a source of happy accidents.

I use Voxengo's Voxformer, another plugin that can use a lot of FX in series. Sometimes I spend a lot of time tweaking, sometimes I load Voxformer on a bass guitar track, call up vocal preset "rap 2" or something, and random magic happens.

It has nothing to do with whether or not I'm good at mixing, nobody cares.

Back in the day my songs were sent to a professional for mixing. Until very very recently mixing skills were not mandatory for a musician to be considered to have "individual creativity". This is a new and destructive confusion.

No need to be threatened, I don't think the skill of mixing music is endangered by the release of EZmix.

I, too wish there was a demo. Right now it goes on a list of things I might buy someday if I've got spare cash. In the meantime, thanks to those who posted clips.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #60
YoRugMan

Is there honestly a contender for EZmix at around the same price?

Because if not, I'm going to buy it.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #61
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
Is there honestly a contender for EZmix at around the same price?

Because if not, I'm going to buy it.

I don't think so...maybe someone else can chime in but at that price I'd say chances are it walks alone....
Old 04-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #62
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonehenge View Post
So I bought it. I was in the middle of a job for a client, which involved supplying quick and dirty ruffs of a live show I tracked on their behalf. What better way to test something like this?

In short, not bad actually. I can actually see this as useful to a pro, who needs to pull together demo mixes in a hurry, due to time and/or budgetary constraints. Ezmix is no substitute for the time honoured tradition of labouring over a mix to arrive at a satisfactory destination, especially when you consider the fact that you want all creative options at your disposal, but there is a place for this, and the low price makes it a worthwhile addition to the toolkit. I know it's a philosophical shot over the bow, and it wasn't long ago that I would have turned up my nose disapprovingly at this, but I am rethinking some of the more arbitrary postures I have maintained.

Try Ezmix out...you might find just one or two process presets that justify it's price.
I gotta agree with allot of what you said.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:53 AM   #63
RussUK

I bought the plugin, I will make a video soon, but I marry Friday.

My initial findings:
1. It is easy.
2. A mix done on it sounds pretty average, I suppose the payoff for lack of effort is a lack of originality.
3. That leads me onto the next point, I guess the results I will get if I use this a lot, then my mixes may sound all the same.

So my thoughts are; it helps those in a rush or or don't give a crap about learning how to do something properly.

I would rather people learn their craft and use this on a fall back position.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #64
audioguy_on_ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
So my thoughts are; it helps those in a rush or or don't give a crap about learning how to do something properly.

yes indeed.

but they'll sell quite a few copies to bedroom producers who aspire to greatness/wealth/fame without putting in the work.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #65
Tonehenge

Quote:
yes indeed.

but they'll sell quite a few copies to bedroom producers who aspire to greatness/wealth/fame without putting in the work.
I came out of the bedroom a long time ago. It could be just another tool/arrow in the quiver. I believe dependence on this kind of thing would lead to mediocrity, but no more than dependence on self made presets in the processors that come stock with any DAW.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #66
NAS

I think the snobbery in this thread shows more about the posters than it does about this type of plugin
If people use this plugin and make good music woohoo
If they use this plugin and then maybe think hmmmmm never thought of that combo lets try that with other plugins and see what happens woohoo
If people dont use this plugin and make good music woohoo

What's next, People not posting production or engineering tips because we will all sound the same

Really now

NAS
Old 04-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #67
s_sibs

Quote:
Why do you feel that Toontrack is obligated to teach people their craft? I know you didn't say that directly but that's what that seems to say to me...'EZmix doesn't teach people how to mix and that is bad.'

Along that same line, should Toontrack be obligated to teach users how to mic and track a drum kit if they choose to use EZdrummer or S2 samplers or should we also teach them how to play drums if they use the MIDI grooves?

I think a tool like EZmix has it's place in any user's bag of tricks. Yes, it can be used to mix a song exclusively (loading many instances and selecting a preset and tweaking) but it can also be use on a couple of channels only or the delay presets can be used on an effect bus along with other plugins for compression and eq.
Rainbow Sounds Recording
Old 04-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #68
RussUK

Quote:
Why do you feel that Toontrack is obligated to teach people their craft? I know you didn't say that directly but that's what that seems to say to me...'EZmix doesn't teach people how to mix and that is bad.'

Along that same line, should Toontrack be obligated to teach users how to mic and track a drum kit if they choose to use EZdrummer or S2 samplers or should we also teach them how to play drums if they use the MIDI grooves?

I think a tool like EZmix has it's place in any user's bag of tricks. Yes, it can be used to mix a song exclusively (loading many instances and selecting a preset and tweaking) but it can also be use on a couple of channels only or the delay presets can be used on an effect bus along with other plugins for compression and eq.
I'm sorry you feel so defensive to what were reasonable and fair observations about a product I actually took the time to purchase to evaluate, not a demo or hearsay, but actually took the time to buy, download and try on several different types of material.

I think your conclusion about what I 'didn't say' is somewhat odd. I didn't say that Toontrack are teaching people to be suicide bombers either, or that Toontrack eat babies, perhaps a discussion on that? I'd prefer you to bring an argument based on what I did say - it makes far more sense to argue on that basis.

If you really want a discussion based on your rational, then you're suggesting that if I say I'd prefer people to walk rather than drive, that I'm saying Ford stop people from walking!

'I would rather people learn their craft and use this on a fall back position.'

Where in that sentence is there any suggestion or even implication that it's Toontrack's responsibility.

'I think a tool like EZmix has it's place in any user's bag of tricks.'

So do I, and I said as much.

If you want the no-holds barred version of the assessment, then perhaps we can discuss the silly spelling mistakes in some of the presets? That say's to me rushed or not checked, either way, not the best start.

The rest of your argument is frankly silly and very defensive.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #69
PAPT

I don't understand how a plugin like this can know what a track needs to be improved or to fit better with another instrument.

How does it know that you are using a Strat rather than a Les Paul or a Marshal as opposed to a Fender amp?

Maybe finding a 'Lucky Accident' as a previous poster said might happen.
PAPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #70
s_sibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPT View Post
How does it know that you are using a Strat rather than a Les Paul or a Marshal as opposed to a Fender amp?
It doesn't. Any more than an LA-2A can tell if you used a Strat or a Les Paul.

It's a plugin with presets. You click on one until you find a sound you like. You tweak the faders to make it better...or worse if you want to. It is very similar to other plugins that have presets. You pick a preset and move the knobs. There are just less parameters to adjust. It's still just about making the source audio sound better. If EZmix can get you there...good. If it can't or you don't like the resulst...use a different plugin. There isn't really anything more to it.
Rainbow Sounds Recording
Old 04-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #71
s_sibs

Quote:
If you want the no-holds barred version of the assessment, then perhaps we can discuss the silly spelling mistakes in some of the presets? That say's to me rushed or not checked, either way, not the best start.
Yes please. I'm in a position to have silly spelling mistakes rectified.
Rainbow Sounds Recording
Old 04-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #72
Tonehenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPT View Post
I don't understand how a plugin like this can know what a track needs to be improved or to fit better with another instrument.

Maybe finding a 'Lucky Accident' as a previous poster said might happen.
To be fair, this is probably the most damning indictment of the world of presets. Speaking as a guy that stepped up and bought this thing, I immediately recognize it's greatest weakness...the fact that I can't use this plug as a starting point to better things. The ideal way to make this plug absolutely useful, is to have a convertible gui..."amateur" and "expert" if you will. A way to get under the hood, and see each process in detail, with the ability to manually tweak every parameter. Toontrack, are you listening?
Old 04-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #73
s_sibs

Quote:
The ideal way to make this plug absolutely useful, is to have a convertible gui..."amateur" and "expert" if you will. A way to get under the hood, and see each process in detail, with the ability to manually tweak every parameter.
Of course. But I think that goes beyond the scope of the current product. It is called 'EZ'mix and giving the user access to all of those parameters would give you 'Complicated'mix. ;^)

There may very well be a method to Toontrack's madness. Just as they released 'EZ'drummer that was geared towards one type of client and offered limited features and then released Superior Drummer 2 for the tweakers, so they may be doing with 'EZ'mix. Maybe they will release a 'Superior'mix plugin. I'm not starting any speculations as I have no idea what they have in store for the future, but it could be possible.
Rainbow Sounds Recording
Old 04-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #74
Tonehenge

Quote:
Of course. But I think that goes beyond the scope of the current product. It is called 'EZ'mix and giving the user access to all of those parameters would give you 'Complicated'mix. ;^)

There may very well be a method to Toontrack's madness. Just as they released 'EZ'drummer that was geared towards one type of client and offered limited features and then released Superior Drummer 2 for the tweakers, so they may be doing with 'EZ'mix. Maybe they will release a 'Superior'mix plugin. I'm not starting any speculations as I have no idea what they have in store for the future, but it could be possible.
Point well taken...the existence of this product is largely due to the marketing department. I can see the "Garageband" contingent drinking this Kool-Aid completely.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #75
s_sibs

Quote:
...the existence of this product is largely due to the marketing department. I can see the "Garageband" contingent drinking this Kool-Aid completely.
I totally think this product is aimed at the 'Garageband' contingent. Definitely at many TT customers that often complained that their drum mixes didn't sound like CLA mixed them and were clamoring for 'MORE PRESETS'.

When Toontrack first tossed around the idea I was so very skeptical. I was never a big proponent for presets. I may have 'dabbled' with a preset here and there but as soon as my wife would walk into the studio I would quickly start tweaking the knobs so she wouldn't know!

Anyway, after using EZmix for months, I began to see how useful it could be. Yes, on for everything like in the mix I posted but also just on the bass in a mix. Or setting up a couple of FX busses with a couple of different tape delays just like old times. Only difference is that it took less time to set up.

In reality, I probably wouldn't do a mix completely with EZmix...at least a final mix. Ruffs, yes. I would learn the plugin like any other and find its' strengths and weaknesses like any other plugin. Personally, I really like the tape delays and tape simulation.
Rainbow Sounds Recording
Old 04-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #76
rossh

I often think people on this forum make comments thinking that everyone is just like them (or should be). I can understand why an audio engineer who has studied and laboured endlessly to master the art of mixing would perhaps poo-poo the idea of this kind of plug. I don't think anyone would argue that a preset will never ever provide a bulletproof solution in all circumsatnces.

But what if you're not a specialist, or even want to be. There is a whole range of people that use Reaper. I read ReaMix and think what an absolute guru Geoffery Francis is but at the same time, it's not something I feel motivated to master.

I am, at best, an enthusiastic amateur. I've been in a studio with a real engineer and I know I'm a long way from that. It's not my day job. Nor do I want it to be. I've got a few ideas for tunes that Reaper helps me to get down. If Toontracks can provide a simple, effective tool to "cut to the chase" and get on with composing without getting bogged down in the detail then count me in. Hell, why not?
rossh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #77
Tonehenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossh View Post
I often think people on this forum make comments thinking that everyone is just like them (or should be). I can understand why an audio engineer who has studied and laboured endlessly to master the art of mixing would perhaps poo-poo the idea of this kind of plug. I don't think anyone would argue that a preset will never ever provide a bulletproof solution in all circumsatnces.

But what if you're not a specialist, or even want to be. There is a whole range of people that use Reaper. I read ReaMix and think what an absolute guru Geoffery Francis is but at the same time, it's not something I feel motivated to master.

I am, at best, an enthusiastic amateur. I've been in a studio with a real engineer and I know I'm a long way from that. It's not my day job. Nor do I want it to be. I've got a few ideas for tunes that Reaper helps me to get down. If Toontracks can provide a simple, effective tool to "cut to the chase" and get on with composing without getting bogged down in the detail then count me in. Hell, why not?
I know I'm sounding a little schizophrenic, especially after giving a thumbs up (with caveats) to Ezmix, but I do think blind, day in and out reliance on something like this is akin to the idea that Diana Krall is a legitimate introduction to jazz. I feel justified in endorsing Ezmix inasmuch as I know and understand the rules, so I know where I can break them, kind of like Harold Robbins and his pulpy, salty languaged novels. What I'm saying is, pay the price and learn the ropes. It's hard work and time consuming, but ultimately rewarding...then you will understand where Ezmix can be of real value. To the wilfully ignorant, it is a knife with two pointy ends. If you want to record and display good music, you will want to understand what you are doing...trust me.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #78
chrisharbin

Uh oh, it's been moved
Old 04-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #79
RussUK

Quote:
Yes please. I'm in a position to have silly spelling mistakes rectified.
The list:

Cowbell - Threshold is spelt Treshold
Handclap- - ditto
Hats - ditto
Kick2 - ditto
Room - Basic3 - ditto
Snare Fat2 - ditto
Snare Bottom3 - ditto
Tambourine - ditto

Generally the convention needs to be agreed on for the word Eq - in some places it's EQ and others it's Eq, sometimes in the same preset.

At times you have lines saying Slap Delay and then SlapDelay2 - convention again not clear.

Perhaps EZ should try a product like EZSpell?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:23 AM   #80
rossh

In the 80's the Unix puritans of the world argued and bickered over standards and how it should be. Meanwhile, Bill Gates and the programmers at Microsoft wrote an operating system that provided the computer illiterate user with a nice graphical interface instead of a clunky UNIX prompt.

Yes, of course there was lot more to it but my point is, Microsoft took the approach of sticking the technical stuff under the bonnet, accessible if necessary but not needed by the average end user at all in order to use a computer.

As a computer technician, I have repaired computers for many very intelligent people that do terrific things with their PC's but many have no idea what so ever how the thing works. I'm often astounded by this. These people aren't stupid by any stretch. They just don't need to know what's happening under the bonnet in order for them to do their job.

As a very casual and part-time music composer and writer, I don't feel any need to know why a kick drum preset sounds good. I have spent waaaaay too much time tinkering with compressors, EQ etc. and ended up killing the creative urge all because my head space got bogged down in the detail.

I am of the firm belief that in 2010, us humans know enough about digital audio, drum kits, bass guitars and voices to know what effects make them work well and what is usually necessary to bring them to life.

Now if I called myself an audio engineer then that would be different. The paying client would rightfully expect me to know my craft and how to make it happen. That's what makes a specialist. But I'm not one of them and don't want to be or claim to be. Just a keen amateur wanting some quick tools to help.
rossh is offline   Reply With Quote