Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 02-17-2015, 03:05 PM   #81
macousticboy
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
a mastering tutorial for Reaper would be just the same as in Sonar, in Logic ... you name it
The thing is - there IS a tutorial someone added to a playlist of how-to's on Reaper that is for mastering:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...gZZw5V7VWy8wYU

But it's not for Reaper! Now I understand you can infer from a video on Pro-Tools what might be a similar step for Reaper. I get that. But then again, why? The best case scenario would be to start with one that deals with the most common things you could encounter in the given setup you're talking about.

Also unsurprisingly, after my being cajoled into posting one of my mixes ...nobody said anything!

Don't everyone yell at once! <- Proper wink for forum HTML ;p
macousticboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:06 PM   #82
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponk View Post
Agreed! And although i can't speak German, your site looks delicious
(Un)fortunately it's not mine
Old 02-17-2015, 03:07 PM   #83
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by macousticboy View Post
Also unsurprisingly, after my being cajoled into posting one of my mixes ...nobody said anything!
*Some* people are capable of writing replies on an internet forum while at the same time listening to (aka mixing) music :P

Last edited by beingmf; 02-17-2015 at 03:49 PM.
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #84
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by macousticboy View Post

Now I understand you can infer from a video on Pro-Tools what might be a similar step for Reaper. I get that. But then again, why? The best case scenario would be to start with one that deals with the most common things you could encounter in the given setup you're talking about.
The best case scenario would be to make a Mastering tutorial where I Master the song that you want to Master too. And I end up with the results that you want.

Perhaps I should get right on that?
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #85
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
The best case scenario would be to make a Mastering tutorial where I Master the song that you want to Master too. And I end up with the results that you want.

NOWWWW you're catchin' on, Kenny.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:10 AM   #86
Naji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post

Mr Gioia,

pls forget our NICE IDEA to make Reaper/JS plugins tutorials,

I am pretty sure I and maybe someone else, too ;-) would be able
to supply you with one or two unfinished mixes or what about 50 per year?
(I suggest that you limit it to 50 mixes/person only)
to give you the opportunity to make a lot of tutorials
Naji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:47 AM   #87
macousticboy

Here's a video of something I did using a Mastering Engineer to complete the project:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=155809
Old 02-18-2015, 02:07 AM   #88
Naji

Mr Gioia,

I would like to know one thing.

Do you mix or master a song to make it sound well everywhere or do you think
it is not important how it will it sound on laptop speakers or smart phones ?
Do you have to compromise ? Maybe the quality of mix would be better, when
you do not consider laptop speakers and so on.
Or maybe you have to make several different mixes for different speakers, players ?
I also ask, because the younger generation listens to Music that way mostly.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:05 AM   #89
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naji View Post
Mr Gioia,

I would like to know one thing.

Do you mix or master a song to make it sound well everywhere or do you think
it is not important how it will it sound on laptop speakers or smart phones ?
Do you have to compromise ? Maybe the quality of mix would be better, when
you do not consider laptop speakers and so on.
Or maybe you have to make several different mixes for different speakers, players ?
I also ask, because the younger generation listens to Music that way mostly.
I view Mastering as a step that is only needed to put the songs together and match levels from one song to another.

If any other processing needs to be done on each song, it was because the mix wasn't done properly. A great mix shouldn't need anything other than some brick-wall limiting to make it competively louder.

In mixing, all speakers need to be considered. Always listen to your mix on every speaker you can find. I don't do that as much these days because I know I can get that just using my speakers (NS-10s) and what I've learned about them using them for 25+ years.

But a great mix should sound great on all speakers.

Last edited by Kenny Gioia; 02-18-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #90
beingmf

That's it, Kenny!

I, personally, would admit that a good master adds some "sweetness" to the mix that might only be achieved with dedicated mastering gear (or Nebula :P ), but generally the overall tone of the mix shouldn't be changed at all.

[This is also why a "Mastering in Reaper" tutorial wouldn't make sense. For the record: http://www.acustica-audio.com/index....146&Itemid=92]
Old 02-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #91
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
That's it, Kenny!

I, personally, would admit that a good master adds some "sweetness" to the mix that might only be achieved with dedicated mastering gear (or Nebula :P ), but generally the overall tone of the mix shouldn't be changed at all.
I don't know what "dedicated mastering gear" is but if I find it I will slap it on my master buss during the mixing phase.

Quote:
This is also why a "Mastering in Reaper" tutorial wouldn't make sense.
It doesn't make sense for me because my goal is to put them out of work.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #92
macousticboy

Unsubbed.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #93
Naji

Thank you for your reply, Mr Gioia.

We also have to consider the fact that you live or work in a professional world, this means that you usually get high quality mixes, but there are engineers who have to master good and bad mixes, so a brickwall limiter for them maybe is not enough.
Itīs also how one defines "mastering" and I prefer your definition, but itīs the definition of a professional, of course.

For me there is only one miracle, I sometimes also check mixes or listen to Music on laptop speakers, although they are tiny and not really good.
But one example:

Very often I listened to two professional mixes that both sound great on pretty good consumer speakers and also on studio speakers.
And now the strange thing:
as soon as you listen on laptop speakers, one mix might still sound great, you hear every instrument clearly, but the other mix does not sound great any more on laptop Speakers, and it is mainly a problem with bass, synth bass or eBass , as well, you do not hear the bass any more on laptop speakers.

And some time ago I read in a mag about mastering and they said you can not please all speakers, thatīs not possible, you have to know the target for your mix or master - will the consumers listen on Laptop speakers?, is the mix for a movie Soundtrack or DVD or is it for a Club?. Thatīs what they wrote.

I also think a new mastering tutorial does not make sense, wheras a Reaper/JS - plugins tutorial would be nice.

Last edited by Naji; 02-18-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #94
Banned

Quote:
We also have to consider the fact that you live or work in a professional world, this means that you usually get high quality mixes [...]
Oh please... I'd wish any post using the word "professional" around here would automatically be rejected. Crack whores provide professional sex services, too.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #95
Naji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Oh please... I'd wish any post using the word "professional" around here would automatically be rejected. Crack whores provide professional sex services, too.
Could you please explain your problem ????

There are professional sound engineers and amateur engineers, I am an amateur or novice.
And there a whole lot of amateur engineers, especially in this forum.
Do you have any problem with this fact ?

I am not so primitive to think of sex first, when I hear the word "professional",
but you obviously intend to downgrade Mr. Gioia to your level.
A person with even a small brain would see that I talked about sound engineers.

Iīd wish any wanna-be intelligent and brownnosing post around here would automatically be rejected.

Last edited by Naji; 02-18-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #96
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Thank you for your reply, Mr Gioia.

We also have to consider the fact that you live or work in a professional world, this means that you usually get high quality mixes, but there are engineers who have to master good and bad mixes, so a brickwall limiter for them maybe is not enough.
Itīs also how one defines "mastering" and I prefer your definition, but itīs the definition of a professional, of course.

For me there is only one miracle, I sometimes also check mixes or listen to Music on laptop speakers, although they are tiny and not really good.
But one example:

Very often I listened to two professional mixes that both sound great on pretty good consumer speakers and also on studio speakers.
And now the strange thing:
as soon as you listen on laptop speakers, one mix might still sound great, you hear every instrument clearly, but the other mix does not sound great any more on laptop Speakers, and it is mainly a problem with bass, synth bass or eBass , as well, you do not hear the bass any more on laptop speakers.

And some time ago I read in a mag about mastering and they said you can not please all speakers, thatīs not possible, you have to know the target for your mix or master - will the consumers listen on Laptop speakers?, is the mix for a movie Soundtrack or DVD or is it for a Club?. Thatīs what they wrote.

I also think a new mastering tutorial does not make sense, wheras a Reaper/JS - plugins tutorial would be nice.
But what I'm suggesting should still apply to non-professionals as well. Most novices mix and master their own project. So I would put the emphasis on creating a great mix and not worrying about mastering. Any EQ changes can be fixed on the individual or master buss. And compression can be handled on the individual or master buss. Now that most of us mix ITB, there's less of a reason to bounce down a stereo file and mess with it when you can just fix it at the mix stage.

And yes. Sometimes you do mix differently for TV or for live events etc. But the goal is usually to make it sound good on all of them. Although, it can never be the same on all of them.

My good friend who is also a mixer used to use very different speakers from mine and I always loved how "Toms" sounded on his speakers. Yet I preferred everything else on my speakers. My point is that it's always a compromise. So you have to learn your speakers.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #97
Banned

Quote:
Could you please explain your problem ????
That's very simple: "professional" does not imply superior quality.
Quote:
And there a whole lot of amateur engineers, especially in this forum.
Do you have any problem with this fact ?
Not at all. I only take issue with any suggestion that "professional" implies superior quality.
Quote:
[...] you obviously intend to downgrade Mr. Gioia to your level.
Not at all. I'm not implying *anything* about the quality of Kenny's skills, nor about how they compare to mine. And I'm quite confident that he understands this perfectly well.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #98
Naji

Quote:
That's very simple: "professional" does not imply superior quality.

Not at all. I only take issue with any suggestion that "professional" implies superior quality.

Not at all. I'm not implying *anything* about the quality of Kenny's skills, nor about how they compare to mine. And I'm quite confident that he understands this perfectly well.
Unlike you Mr. Gioia had no problems with the word "professional" and he even also used this word, thatīs really professional !

You are just a cantankerous blowhard
Old 02-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #99
jmgweb01

Default Read what Geoffrey Francis said...

My take on this topic (and I've only been amateur recording for ten years), is that if you look at Reaper Power! The Comprehensive Guide by Geoffrey Francis, Chapter 14 on Reaper Project Completion Power - you get a good overview of the program's analysis tools. Also, Mr. Francis provides a good reference: Mitch Gallagher's Mastering Music at Home, Course Technology PTR, 2007. You also get the feeling from Chapter 14 that the intent is twofold: Provide basic techniques in the software for projects which do not "justify using a professional mastering service (or if you simply cannot afford it);" and secondly to give guidance on using the program to prepare projects for professional mastering. Regarding the latter, I found the discussion of Using FX Plugins on the Master Track, EQ, The Exciter, Tape Saturation, Stereo Enhancement, The Multiband Compressor, The Master Limiter, and other plug-ins to be plenty useful for me. Finally, I agree with the previous comments in this thread that as an overall strategy, it is better to focus on producing the very best tracks up front than to try and "fix" them with tools later. My two cents...
jmgweb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #100
Banned

Quote:
[...] he even also used this word [...]
No, he only used the word "non-professional", and in fact stated "what I'm suggesting should still apply to non-professionals as well" - which only reinforces my point.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #101
Naji

Quote:
No, he only used the word "non-professional", and in fact stated "what I'm suggesting should still apply to non-professionals as well" - which only reinforces my point.
Your last post makes you indeed look a lot smarter LOL

Accepting the word non-professional, but not the word "professional",
and agreeing with Mr. Gioia, whom you have downgraded before - brownnose !

your answer must have rather been like that:
a non-professional is a woman not demanding cash for ...

so the question is whether a "non-professional" is a woman not using crack or a woman using crack providing..., but not demanding... ?

Last edited by Naji; 02-18-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #102
Kenny Gioia

I have to defend "Banned" here and say that he would NEVER brown nose me.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:45 PM   #103
Naji

I see, you are able to run away very quickly LOL