Old 06-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
deeb
Human being with feelings

Default Anyone uses Midi Fighter Twister in reaper with no issues?

I am considering this controller into my setup, I would like to be sure that it can be integrated and able to use midi learn on reaper and the LED updated smoothly! Thank you
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
cjewellstudios

Hey there!

MF twister is an amazing product!

I made a video for the reaper blog showcasing how you can actually get led feedback with the mf twister. Here's the link:

https://youtu.be/p0LBdXXcg7g
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:27 AM   #3
deeb

Nice video and thanks cjewellstudios

At some point i have tried realearn and seems like moving knobs becomes less smooth comparing with reaper native OSC/midi learn. Maybe just a few miliseconds of delay but still .. made be don't follow that direction. What is your experience with it?
OSX here ..
Old 06-27-2019, 06:45 AM   #4
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
Nice video and thanks cjewellstudios

At some point i have tried realearn and seems like moving knobs becomes less smooth comparing with reaper native OSC/midi learn. Maybe just a few miliseconds of delay but still .. made be don't follow that direction. What is your experience with it?
OSX here ..
It feels really smooth to be honest!

I'm sure you know but you can set the push down and turn to a super fine control on twister. Super useful!

I'm on windows. The feedback part of all this I think is what makes it smooth.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:13 AM   #5
deeb

Ohh ok! When I said not smooth I just mean the precision and how fast moving the knob on The controller and the time it takes to send the message to the plugin. Native osc learn was clearly faster here comparing to realearn. I need to try again !
Old 06-27-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Ohh ok! When I said not smooth I just mean the precision and how fast moving the knob on The controller and the time it takes to send the message to the plugin. Native osc learn was clearly faster here comparing to realearn. I need to try again !
Oh thats interesting!

I've just purely used this in a mixing context so far, so I hadn't really been pushing the limits of it.

With the smart knobs script, theres a feature I didnt talk about partly because I dont understand but also partly because I was already cramming alot of information into a 10 min video.

You can record your automation or performance by hitting the record button and doing a pass. I'm pretty sure then it can take that performance and paste it as envelopes on the track. That way it's a higher resolution and can be recorded without the latency part being so bad.

(really bad explaination, sorry!)
Old 06-28-2019, 02:32 AM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Native osc learn was clearly faster here comparing to realearn. I need to try again !
The CSI extension should be perfect for this, but unfortunately AFAIK, OSC is not yet implemented.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:11 AM   #8
Tiggerdyret

Hi, I can also vouch for the MFT. And any limitation would be software related IMO. It's an amazing product.

I haven't noticed any delay with Realearn myself, but if you are reluctant you could try out the LBX Smart Knobs/Faderbox script without Realearn. I've heard a lot of people claim it isn't as reliable without Realearn, but I haven't tried it without myself, but you should definitely give Faderbox a try and see if that works out better for you.

Another trick I've used in tandem with Faderbox is a relative endless encoder on my X-Touch set to "adjust last touched FX parameter" for fine tuning. So I can move my Realearn/faderbox encoders and than have reaper's native midi link control given parameter with, which would give you no delay. The issue with this is that it might be too small increments for automation, but you could bite the bullet and have an extra absolute or soft-takerover with the same principles for special cases.
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote