Old 07-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #1
vanceen
Human being with feelings

Default Checking for new version fails

I noticed that I didn't get a prompt for the last update (5.980). When I run "check for new version" from the Help drop-downm menu, I get this message:

"There was an error checking for the latest version
is an internet connection present?!"

Of course, the answer to the question is "yes".

Has anyone else seen this? Has anyone solved it?
vanceen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
DarkStar

Just tried it (from v5.975) - worked OK.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
karbomusic

Firewall...

If on Windows, the OS may/should have asked the first time reaper tried to connect and if permission wasn't given at that time, subsequent checks will fail. You can always go into the defender firewall settings and manually add an allow rule for Reaper.exe and that will fix it.

The only other reason would be not having an internet connection but I assume you have that so.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #4
vanceen

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Firewall...

If on Windows, the OS may/should have asked the first time reaper tried to connect and if permission wasn't given at that time, subsequent checks will fail. You can always go into the defender firewall settings and manually add an allow rule for Reaper.exe and that will fix it.

The only other reason would be not having an internet connection but I assume you have that so.
Thanks. But I've been using Reaper through more than a dozen versions and they've all updated fine until now. Maybe it's a Windows Update thing.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #5
vanceen

Just checked, and Reaper is allowed under Firewall protection. Must be something else.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceen View Post
Just checked, and Reaper is allowed under Firewall protection. Must be something else.
The short of it is that Reaper makes a simple HTTP request to the cockos server and compares your installed version number to the latest release on the server, if you get that error as listed in your first post, that connection/request didn't work out. That is precisely why the error is asking about the connection aka is the machine connected to the internet, because it received a failure back from the OS' network stack.

Windows update would have nothing to do with this FYI. It's strictly related to reaper.exe making it's own HTTP request. So, either your machine can't get to the URL (or rather the IP the URL resolves to) or something is blocking it locally. Do you have any third party AV that offers "endpoint protection"?

I'd do a network trace and tell you what that exact update URL is but since it only checks every so often, there isn't an easy way for me to do that.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I'd do a network trace and tell you what that exact update URL is but since it only checks every so often, there isn't an easy way for me to do that.
Acutally, this is the update URL, I dug it out of the reaper.exe image...

Code:
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/latestversion/?p=%s&r=%08x&h=%s&v=%s
Where everything right of the ? is likely replaced with your version/build info. So from the machine reaper is running on paste this into a browser:

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/latestversion

It will return the change list for latest version. However, the browser is a different executable than reaper.exe so if that works and reaper doesn't I'm back to suspecting something blocking it locally.