Old 03-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #1
Ice
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI to a Take FX instrument?

This would solve the problem we have in post, where a sampler needs to change samples on the same track and automating that is a total pain. I won't go into the weeds on that... onto the point.

See the attached screenshot. This is a track with "Free Item positioning" so we're looking at two items on the same track.

1) The top item is actually a silent audio file, just there to give me a place to insert a Take Effect.

2) I've inserted Reasamplomatic5000 on that media item.

3) I've recorded MIDI on that track, hoping I could get it to trigger the Reasamplomatic5000 instance on the take FX.

Can this be done? This would totally rock if so.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 10.39.48 AM.png (16.6 KB, 113 views)
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
akademie

Hi Ice,
maybe I don't understand what you need to achive... but

Why don't you insert Take FX (sampler) directly on the MIDI item ??
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Hi Ice,
maybe I don't understand what you need to achive... but

Why don't you insert Take FX (sampler) directly on the MIDI item ??
Dang!! apparently because I like to overcomplicate things.

That works! Why have I not tried that before?

Thanks!!!
Old 03-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
Ice

I can't hear what I'm performing, but playback works. I suppose the workaround would be to have the plugin on the track itself while performing, then drag it onto the MIDI item once I'm happy with it.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:18 PM   #5
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
I can't hear what I'm performing, but playback works. I suppose the workaround would be to have the plugin on the track itself while performing, then drag it onto the MIDI item once I'm happy with it.
Yes. I am affraid that this is only missing link, but its kinda by design - I mean how would be midi input routed if more MIDI items with FX-VSTi's would be on a track one after another or even more on top of each other at the same time on timeline, .. you know what I mean. (For me, main issue is that even the Piano roll in MIDI item editor does not reach the takeFX VSTi, that would be enough, I think).

But whatis great is that you can have motifs, sequences tied to sound generators to build structures withou specific track limitation - bass MIDI item will play the moog bass everywhere you put that item etc...
Old 03-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #6
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Yes. I am affraid that this is only missing link, but its kinda by design - I mean how would be midi input routed if more MIDI items with FX-VSTi's would be on a track one after another or even more on top of each other at the same time on timeline, .. you know what I mean. (For me, main issue is that even the Piano roll in MIDI item editor does not reach the takeFX VSTi, that would be enough, I think).

But whatis great is that you can have motifs, sequences tied to sound generators to build structures withou specific track limitation - bass MIDI item will play the moog bass everywhere you put that item etc...
Yes and the solution is relatively simple. I just keep an instance of the sampler I want to use on the track, and once the MIDI is the way I want it drag the sampler instance onto the MIDI item and turn off the track instance.

I wish I had found this years ago.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:37 PM   #7
akademie

Quote:
< snip >
Never is too late
Old 03-26-2020, 03:49 AM   #8
TonE

Quote:
Yes and the solution is relatively simple. I just keep an instance of the sampler I want to use on the track, and once the MIDI is the way I want it drag the sampler instance onto the MIDI item and turn off the track instance.

Why not just using multiple tracks as usual, what is wrong with that, has many advantages for mixing. I do not get the idea, why someone might prefer take fx, putting the synth linked to a specific midi item only, this is more a limitation, but what is the added value where?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:38 AM   #9
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Why not just using multiple tracks as usual, what is wrong with that, has many advantages for mixing. I do not get the idea, why someone might prefer take fx, putting the synth linked to a specific midi item only, this is more a limitation, but what is the added value where?

a limitation is by forcing us to use track when we want to use a vsti on an item and use our controllers (keyboard, knobs). Not the opposite. Is our choice.
The value:
1) Is being able to render into new take and have infinite local history of the item.
2) Reusable items
3) Creative use of scripting into item
4) Creative use of pooled items
5) Flexibility or less limitations for Free item Position
6) more that i don't remember now and those i don't know

Music can be looped based, and in this case makes much sense. Explaining is kind of hard.

check this request: "req: input midi pass thru to fx items"
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2198488

Last edited by deeb; 03-26-2020 at 07:47 AM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:50 AM   #10
Ice

Quote:
This is for post - FX to picture or game asset design. The way we use tracks is quite different than music.

Over the course of a project, for instance a reel for a movie can be 20 minutes long, we need to use the same track for multiple things. It may be a door close at 10 seconds, a siren at 20 seconds, a dog bark at 1 minute, a gunshot at 3 minutes, etc..

For us using samplers at all for this type of delivery has always been problematic. You have to automate sample loads at various times, or load up a new instance of the sampler and automate bypassing the others. It's tedious to the point we just don't use it.

This opens up a whole new approach where there is no automating of samplers on the track at all.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #11
akademie

Yes, these ^^^^^.
I support both deeb's and Ice's answers.

(in post-pro, as mentioned by Ice, is interesting approach)
Old 03-26-2020, 01:35 PM   #12
TonE

Quote:
Over the course of a project, for instance a reel for a movie can be 20 minutes long, we need to use the same track for multiple things. It may be a door close at 10 seconds, a siren at 20 seconds, a dog bark at 1 minute, a gunshot at 3 minutes, etc..
You could use folder tracks, and the rest as child tracks, what is wrong with that? There is even the option for pip.

Any youtube videos with such a workflow maybe? No automations, what are you using then instead?
Old 03-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #13
Ice

Quote:
You could use folder tracks, and the rest as child tracks, what is wrong with that? There is even the option for pip.
Its too many events, and we're already over-run with tracks as it is even re-purposing. For people that do a lot of post sound this benefit will be clear.

Quote:
Any youtube videos with such a workflow maybe? No automations, what are you using then instead?
I'll be doing a tutorial on this as some stage but I've got too much on my plate at the moment.

As for what do we use now - just audio items and no VI. Using instruments or samplers in spots like we're talking about here has been too cumbersome for all the reasons already discussed.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:18 PM   #14
TonE

How to generate those audio items?