Old 04-02-2021, 11:30 AM   #1
carbon
Human being with feelings

Default Beatstep Pro Loop Glitch?

Does anybody know if it's a Beatstep issue or are there any settings that could help?

When I play loop selection in Reaper and Beatstep is synced via USB, then the playback stutters at the beginning of the loop.
Also the cursor shifts from the bar line position a bit forward, also when clicking on another bar.
Also occasionally the tempo reading on the Beatstep goes from the project tempo 150bpm to 149bpm.

Here's a video with sound:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8mfhcpsem...14-32.mkv?dl=0

These are the MIDI in out settings:
https://imgur.com/2V20ot3

For testing I installed the latest Reaper version portably.

EDIT:
Also, if I start recording audio on another track while Beatstep is synced, I get a very short audio item, about the length that the cursor skips forward in the video.

Last edited by carbon; 04-02-2021 at 11:40 AM.
carbon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #2
b2001

I could not watch the video but saw image. The settings look correct.

It’s been a while since i synced my mpc, boss dr880, or yamaha keyboard but i don’t recall having those issues with reaper as master; might have with reaper as slave.

However i use a vsti - hg fortune percumat2 (a software drum machine) - and it has a sync feature for recording. It always stutters at the start. It appears like reaper or the beatstep has an issue with temporarily syncing but eventually does.

If you set the beatstep and reaper to same bpm without syncing and manually record is there stuttering?

I am not aware of any settings unless there is something on the beatstep side.

In cases like this, i either 1) snip off the audio that stutters and realign with the grid or 2) manually record as i describe above and then nudge the audio or midi to align with the grid.

Not sure what to tell you about bpm changing.

On the last item in your edit, i always turn sync off immediately after using it (or i get the synced device playing and the recorded audio playing). Sorry, since i did not see the video, i might be missing what you are trying to point out.
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:13 AM   #3
carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2001 View Post
If you set the beatstep and reaper to same bpm without syncing and manually record is there stuttering?

I am not aware of any settings unless there is something on the beatstep side.

In cases like this, i either 1) snip off the audio that stutters and realign with the grid or 2) manually record as i describe above and then nudge the audio or midi to align with the grid.

Not sure what to tell you about bpm changing.

On the last item in your edit, i always turn sync off immediately after using it (or i get the synced device playing and the recorded audio playing). Sorry, since i did not see the video, i might be missing what you are trying to point out.
If they aren't synced - Beatstep is using internal sync or Reaper isn't sending clock, then the playback works fine.

With the last point I edited I meant that If I start recording the recording stops almost immediately, producing a miniscule audio item. Playback continues though.

Why couldn't you watch the video - some problem with the link or was it just inconvenient?
Old 04-05-2021, 11:09 AM   #4
b2001

My apologies:

I didn’t read the instructions very well. I thought it wanted me to download the dropbox app and create an account. I listened to and watched the video.

Hard to tell but it looks like some of the notes slightly overlap. What happens if you shorten the end of each note so maybe there is a 1/16 note or so gap between notes? That should not cause that to happen but I have had strangeness like that before and have done things like that.

Edit:
What happens if you do not loop but copy and paste the midi item/sequence say 10 times and play it thru. Sure seems to me to be an issue with Reaper and looping. Also what happens if you disable sync and loop thru that sequence? Maybe there is an issue with sync and looping?

Last edited by b2001; 04-05-2021 at 11:15 AM.
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:33 AM   #5
carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2001 View Post

Edit:
What happens if you do not loop but copy and paste the midi item/sequence say 10 times and play it thru. Sure seems to me to be an issue with Reaper and looping. Also what happens if you disable sync and loop thru that sequence? Maybe there is an issue with sync and looping?
If there's no loop selection, there's no glitch. The glitch occurs always at the beginning of the loop or where I click the cursor.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:40 AM   #6
carbon

I've troubleshooted the problem also on the Facebook group and Arturia Beatstep pro forum.

So far no idea what the problem is, but here are the latest findings.

1. I tested it on another computer - a 2011 Macbook Pro - the exact same result.

2. Then I did a reset on the Beatstep pro - same as before.

3. If I disable the control messages on the input, the skip/stutter problem goes away, but then the playback buttons obviously don't work.

4. I also get frequent MIDI note hangs with the Beatstep sync set to USB, otherwise not.

5. If I choose a specific channel for the input control messages, then the stutter resolves, tempo is in sync, but transport controls don't work.

6. If I choose noSPP in the MIDI input, then I don't get No skip/stutter, but the DAW play/stop control becomes glitchy - edit cursor skips forward with each play/stop and needs to be clicked very shortly to start playback.

The short recording problem still persists - now even shorter - the recording stops immediately after I press record and get prompted to save the microscopic wave file.

https://imgur.com/4ULkjvD
(Image code doesn't work for imgur image for some reason)

So, I sort of got a couple of partial workarounds for the original issue, but something's still broken.
For the time being using the MIDI control input with a specified channel and no transport control from the Beatstep pro.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:32 PM   #7
electrosquid

I have also run into this problem with my regular Beatstep. I tried to isolate the problem by using my TR6S and Behringer MS1, which both have internal sequencers and encountered the same problem with sequences playing on each one while slaved to Reaper. Same solutions, I don't send SPP commands and it works fine. I particularly noticed while doing a single measure and placing a single drum right beyond where the reset occurs on Reaper that the double note play occurs, but once I remove that borderline drum, the problem stops. I don't have any new solutions for you unfortunately.

edit 1
I'm back. I ran into this problem again after midi sequencing the TR6S on Reaper and then recording it back into Reaper. The midi sequence and recorded playback don't line up. I'm still a noob at this stuff, but I believe this problem is apart of the broader problem of latency. Windows PCs seem to be more affected. Solutions I'm looking at include fixing it on the computer side [increasing sampling size, switching to more efficient ASIO audio drivers, reducing background processes] or maybe this is what the nudge tool has been for [to better align potentially mismatched items] like b2001 said.

Last edited by electrosquid; 12-10-2021 at 12:40 AM.
electrosquid is offline   Reply With Quote