Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-05-2022, 04:48 PM   #41
jadoube
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
Awesome!

Has anyone seen any benchmarks comparing Rosetta to native in audio work? The number I saw being thrown around 2 years ago was 2% CPU but you never know with sophisticated audio algorithms...
I am not seeing any significant differences, to be honest.... with my absolutely NOT scientific methodology. The memory management is much improved with the ARM architecture... Rosetta included. My impression from anything I have watched on the interwebs is that it is mostly a non-issue. And so far, that has been my experience.
Old 05-05-2022, 06:45 PM   #42
uglijimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
If a plugin dev hasn't specifically released ARM versions, you can't run them natively and must run everything via Rosetta.

Is there a special way to run Rosetta with Reaper? I 've been pressing the CmD + i over the reaper application and it SEEMS to be launching through Rosetta, but I really don't know. I still can't get Clariphonic DSP plugin to work though...
Old 05-05-2022, 07:45 PM   #43
jadoube

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglijimus View Post
Is there a special way to run Rosetta with Reaper? I 've been pressing the CmD + i over the reaper application and it SEEMS to be launching through Rosetta, but I really don't know. I still can't get Clariphonic DSP plugin to work though...
If you run Apple's "Activity Monitor" and select the "Energy Tab" you will see a list of all your running executables. Anything running with a "Kind" of "Intel" will be using Rosetta.

Sorry not sure what Clarifonic is.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:29 AM   #44
Andreya

At this point the differences that I notice are more about workflow than CPU use tbh.

Some plugins behave strangely when bridged, for example Spectre straight up refuses to have its parameters automated or modulated. The fact that the M1-compatible Wavesfactory plugins I've tried don't have that issue leads me to think its the bridging messing up the modulation somehow.

Hvoya Audio Crust also works fine bridged, until you try to modulate a parameter, at which point playback becomes a garbled mess whether the synth is even playing or not. That plugin is unfinished tho, so maybe that's not unexpected.

Anyway, things like that pop up sometimes but CPU wise Rosetta is fine nowadays.
Andreya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:11 PM   #45
uglijimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadoube View Post
If you run Apple's "Activity Monitor" and select the "Energy Tab" you will see a list of all your running executables. Anything running with a "Kind" of "Intel" will be using Rosetta.

Sorry not sure what Clarifonic is.

I did as you said, but didn't see any "kind' of "intel". It just had energy impact, app nap, preventing sleep, etc.

This is Clariphonic: https://thehouseofkush.com/products/...honic-dsp-mkii

I asked them directly but they told me to run rosetta and haven't been very helpful beyond that.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:38 PM   #46
EpicSounds

Quote:
you can do that, or install the 'non-universal' build of reaper aka 64-bit Intel, optimized for macOS <=10.14

With this reaper will be running in Rosetta right from install.
Old 05-07-2022, 11:17 AM   #47
uglijimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
you can do that, or install the 'non-universal' build of reaper aka 64-bit Intel, optimized for macOS <=10.14

thanks Jon, I did that, but just came to realize that this plug in just cannot be opened on an M1 laptop. I hope they find a fix for it soon, because I need this for mixing/mastering and paid good money for it.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:00 PM   #48
jadoube

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post

Yes exactly
Hear is the 64bit Intel Reaper binary running on an M1 Mac in Activity Monitor

https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....1&d=1651949902
Attached Images
File Type: png 2022-05-07_12-53-34.png (104.1 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by jadoube; 05-07-2022 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Spelling Mistake
jadoube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:21 PM   #49
uglijimus

Thanks David, but unfortunately mine doesn't have a "kind" column...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (60.3 KB, 125 views)
Old 05-08-2022, 01:58 AM   #50
doghouse

Default monterey has a gatekeeper problem

I did not manage to install a VST Plugin the way i did it on every earlier Mac OSX before.
Just drag the file into the right folder does not work. As i understand you can do exeptions for "unknown" apps, but NOT for VST apps that do not come with an installer.
(monterey issue)
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 05:19 PM   #51
Andreya

Yes you can tell your system to make that exception. Drag the file into the appropriate folder as before. After doing that:

Open terminal and copy/paste this command in there, then hit enter:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/"filename"

If the plugin you're trying to install is a VST3, then replace /VST/ in the line above with /VST3/, if it's an audio unit replace VST with /Components/

Replace "filename" with the exact name of the plugin.

I'm still not on Monterey, but I'm told this works the same, it removes the quarantine attribute from the files. It gets a little tedious if you want to install many things, but it works. Obviously only do this with files from developers you trust.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:21 PM   #52
uglijimus

Hi Andreya,

I can't drag the file into the appropriate folder because when I launch it, it installs itself. But I did find the file, and put in the command you instructed. I got this:

Last login: Sun May 8 22:03:21 on console
Helm@Helm ~ % xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/"ClariphonicDSPmkii.vst"
xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/ClariphonicDSPmkii.vst'
Helm@Helm ~ %

I am going to upload the same video I am sending to the staff member I have been corresponding with just in case someone sees something I may have missed here later.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:10 PM   #53
uglijimus

so here is the video that I am posting to the staff member over at Kush Audio (Clariphonic) tomorrow. If I get some kind of answer, I'll post it here.

https://youtu.be/v6ymXiLwx5U
Old 05-09-2022, 09:50 AM   #54
nepenthe

I use Reaper on an M1 Pro in ARM mode and encounter very few serious issues. I use plugins from most major developers and every month more and more are being updated. Most of my collection are M1-native now.

For my workflow (YMMV), the performance boost of running the M1-optimized plugins is well worth having to deal with some occasional quirks encountered when running non-M1 plugins in bridged mode.

as an aside - the most serious showstopper plugin issues I see are related to incompatibility with newer versions of the Mac OS and devs being slow to release these updates. Not exactly an ARM issue. Eg. I've been unable to use D16's amazing Lush101 synth for years because it crashes every DAW (Big Sur issues, if I recall). But I believe this is close to finally being fixed.
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:56 AM   #55
nepenthe

Quote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but you right click on Reaper.app and select "Get Info" (or press Command+I). Then check the "Open in Rosetta" box.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 11.54.40 AM.png (66.9 KB, 114 views)
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:13 PM   #56
uglijimus

thanks, yup I have rosetta checked and have the whole time. Seems this plug-in is the only one I've had problems with. oh well, time to look for something else! thanks
Old 05-10-2022, 09:08 AM   #57
Andreya

Quote:
thanks, yup I have rosetta checked and have the whole time. Seems this plug-in is the only one I've had problems with. oh well, time to look for something else! thanks
Oh well indeed.
Not that you asked, but I can't recommend Gullfoss warmly enough. <3
I don't know how similar it is to the Clariphonic thing, I only had a brief look at that. But if the purpose is increasing clarity on a mixbus, this one is the realest "magic dial" I've ever tried. Seems similarly priced as that Kush EQ and runs native on M1. Might be worth looking into?
Old 05-10-2022, 11:18 AM   #58
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreya View Post
Not that you asked, but I can't recommend Gullfoss warmly enough. <3
I don't know how similar it is to the Clariphonic thing, I only had a brief look at that. But if the purpose is increasing clarity on a mixbus, this one is the realest "magic dial" I've ever tried.
Also had very good results with Gullfoss on a variety of material
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:21 AM   #59
uglijimus

Hey guys thanks for the suggestion. I know gulfoss is no ordinary eq, but neither is the clarifonic. Maybe I will download the trial, if there is a trial, and give it a shot. Thanks
Old 05-12-2022, 05:07 AM   #60
Andreya

There's is a trial, though it comes with some extra hassle since it's iLok licensed (sadly). One of very few plugs that are worth messing with such bloatware for IMO, but that's me. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2022, 02:58 AM   #61
AndyGuitar

Default My M1 confusion

Hi everyone,

I am sorry to bother you with this but maybe I can get some help here.

This is my M1 Experience with my new Mac Studio (base model, Monterey 12.5) sofar:

Reaper ARM version (v6.66 MacOs 10.15+):
Seems to be the fastest but many plugins are running in bridged mode and I am too stupid to change that. Start/Stop is a nightmare with the "Reaper host" popping up and even worse: My plugin presets are no longer there.
Also Melodyne does not run in ARA mode and I can't figure out why
Other than that, Reaper is fast as hell.

Reaper ARM version - run in Rosetta (same as above with cmd click "open in Rosetta")
Seems to be the best, but I can't get sws extensions to run (Extensions menue doesn't show up). I have tried this: https://forums.cockos.com/showthread...hlight=rosetta in the terminal, but typing the command in Terminal doesn't change anything, the Extensions menue is still misiing. I have put the arm versions of SWS and Reapack in the user folder which should be the right ones but Extensions don't show up. If I try to put the X64 versions of SWS and Reapack in the user folder, Reaper won't open these.
The rest is perfect, plugins are embedded and plugin presets are there from my config import also Melodyne runs in ARA although I haven't changed or re-installed the plugin.
Also reaper is running fast.

Reaper Intel version (v6.66 macOS 10.5-10.14)
Reaper runs WAY slower and laggy. However: Extensions are showing up, Plugins are embedded, Melodyne works in ARA mode, the functionality is completely there.

I have put all three alternative versions as portable installs in order to not mess those up.

My questions:
In my case ARM in Rosetta mode seems to work best. But how can I get extensions to show up?

In the long run native ARM must be the way to go. How can I use plugins not in bridged mode but "normal = embedded" and with plugin presets running. As far as I know Native instruments is M1 compatible but plugins like Solid Dynamics and Transient Master only appear as bridged plugins.
Any ideas why Melodyne doesn't run in ARA mode when using the ARM version?

Sorry, I am so bad at this. Any help and ideas highly appreciated.

All the best, Andy
AndyGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:57 AM   #62
EpicSounds

when installing an extension you have to right-click reaper.app and choose open. A pop up will appear blocking the extension. Open system preferences - privacy & Security to approve. Quit and reopen reaper.

If running reaper universal with rosetta you need to have the intel build of extensions.
If running reaper universal without rosetta you need to have the ARM64 build of extensions.
Old 09-06-2022, 12:51 PM   #63
AndyGuitar

Thank you Jon!

Great to hear from you and that solved the Rosetta issue.

I am happy again. Left a little tip in the jar on your website.

Best, Andy
AndyGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote