Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-19-2023, 04:32 PM   #1
JMO
Human being with feelings

Default Moving from Windows to a Mac Mini M2 Pro

With Ventura 13 as the OS.

I have used Reaper in Windows for 10+ yrs and 4 albums.
I'm moving to the M2 Pro later this week

I'm new to Macs as well.

Is anyone using Reaper with the Ventura 13 OS?

What kind of nightmare am I staring down?

Last edited by JMO; 03-19-2023 at 04:37 PM.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 04:53 PM   #2
skylar_battles

No nightmare at all!

I switched from Intel MacBookPro to a MacBook Pro with an M2 Pro chip and everything works perfectly. On Ventura as well.

I think probably would you would do is make a copy of your entire resource folder. Install the universal mac build + extensions/SWS of the appropriate format . I'm not sure how migration assistant (transfer computer's entire contents) works from PC to Mac, but there is an option for it. I can't imagine it is as seamless as going from Mac to Mac on the identical OS though.

If you have your resource folder everything should be the same and then I assume you may have to manually reconfigure your keystrokes as I don't believe there is a workaround for that yet.

Last edited by skylar_battles; 03-19-2023 at 04:59 PM.
skylar_battles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:08 PM   #3
JMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar_battles View Post
No nightmare at all!

I switched from Intel MacBookPro to a MacBook Pro with an M2 Pro chip and everything works perfectly. On Ventura as well.

I think probably would you would do is make a copy of your entire resource folder. Install the universal mac build + extensions/SWS of the appropriate format . I'm not sure how migration assistant (transfer computer's entire contents) works from PC to Mac, but there is an option for it. I can't imagine it is as seamless as going from Mac to Mac on the identical OS though.

If you have your resource folder everything should be the same and then I assume you may have to manually reconfigure your keystrokes as I don't believe there is a workaround for that yet.
Thank you. I am brand new to the MAC world. So I have no resource folder and don't really know what one is. I'm watching all the Ventura youtubes I can find.

My present dedicated studio DAW machine is a Windows 7 machine. I have tons of software and plugins. 31 from Toontrack alone. Miroslav, Ozone, the list goes on and on.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:22 PM   #4
skylar_battles

The resource folder in the folder that contains everything that is part of your Reaper setup. I'm not sure where it us located on Windows.

Also I personally chose to use all VST3 plugins or highest VST available for compatibility with Windows users and no issues there. So if there's anything you have that doesn't have AU it's not an issue because Reaper supports all plugin formats except AAX of course I'll also say bridged plugins have never caused an issue either.

It's just about if you'd like to use 1 license on each computer or or deactivate the other one so you have more licenses available. Regardless it should all work.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:36 PM   #5
JMO

If I have to buy a new license that's no problem. I won't decommission my present studio machine yet, I'll patch em both into the large monitor so I can bounce back and forth until I get my feet under me on the Mac. It's a huge jump.

Last edited by JMO; 03-19-2023 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:26 PM   #6
skylar_battles

I was actually talking about plugin licenses and not a Reaper license.

From the purchase page:

"The Fine Print
If you own multiple computers, you may install the same license key on all of them, as long as you only use REAPER on one computer at a time."

You got it! It'll all work out.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:39 AM   #7
JMO

Another stupid question. How does a fella retrieve his lisc key?
Old 03-20-2023, 09:22 AM   #8
EpicSounds

it'll be in your email from your original purchase or you can copy it from the old reaper install. the file is "reaper-license.rk"
probably want to grab your whole config from the old pc while you're at it. A lot of it can transfer to mac version.

Congrats on the new Mac.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:40 AM   #9
serr

I'd at least stay back in Monterey (MacOS 12) for now. Lots of reported issues with 3rd party everything. As a Mac user for a long time, don't be too quick to install the newest OS. Wait for their bug fixes (or them dropping it for the next one) and wait for 3rd party to catch up.

High Sierra (10.13.6) is the end of the road for any 32 bit apps, FYI.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:14 AM   #10
nepenthe

Welcome! If you're using a DAW on a Mac you'll likely need to know how to get to your Library folders.

~/Library:
Go to your home directory (named after your user account), and in the View menu up top, select View Options (command+J) and check the box at the bottom which says "Show Library Folder". Be careful in there. It contains a folder called Application Support which contains app-specific settings, including your Reaper data folder (for non-portable installs).

plugin locations:
[YourComputerHD]/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins (system wide plugins)
~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins (user-specific plugins)

Also, an increasingly important directory these days is [yourcomptuerHD/Users/Shared]. Many programs install content here by default.

PS: Command+click on the title of a finder window to view the path
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:44 PM   #11
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I'd at least stay back in Monterey (MacOS 12) for now. Lots of reported issues with 3rd party everything. As a Mac user for a long time, don't be too quick to install the newest OS. Wait for their bug fixes (or them dropping it for the next one) and wait for 3rd party to catch up.

October to March is enough waiting.
My own experience, I haven't lost any plugins going from Monterey to Ventura. Everything kept working. lots of companies haven't been good about reporting compatibility, even if they've got apple silicon support.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:10 PM   #12
serr

I was just poking around with a Ventura install. They degraded the system preferences window to look like their stupid phone iOS! Looks like some hide and seek to get reacquainted... Yeah, hard no! I'll give them another shot with OS 14 perhaps?

Monterey is still "not ready for production" IMHO with losing the ability to clone the system with Carbon Copy Cloner. Non-bootable Time Machine doesn't cut it. So we're already headed towards Linux tools for that. Might just have to take that final leap to Linux OS before too long!

I have Monterey installs on everything but I've still been booted into High Sierra as my daily driver. I have to admit that Monterey supports some additional features and more graphics cards on the Mac Pro. All a moot point for me. I'm not increasing my ram from 128GB to 256GB today and my current graphics card is fine.

Anyway, I'm still a happy Mac user. Just a few outliers to watch out for if you're being picky. The view of the Windows camp from the Mac side still looks absurd.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 01:14 PM   #13
JMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post

Sweetwater is doing a pretty cool thing. They are tracking 3rd party compatibility
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...ibility-guide/