Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-22-2020, 04:05 AM   #1
ymaresz
Human being with feelings

Default Channel Splitting Parallel FX Processing with plugins

Hello,

I would like to have 4 plugins, sharing the same input signal, but sending their respective outputs to 4 other plugins that are in a different track
I use the Plug-in pin connectors on every instance of the plug-ins to set their output to successive channels like this :

Track A :
plugin 1 input 1-2 / output 1-2
plugin 2 input 1-2 / output 3-4
plugin 3 input 1-2 / output 5-6
plugin 4 input 1-2 / output 7-8

On track A, I create 4 sends :
send 1 to Track B 1-2 -> 1-2
send 2 to Track B 3-4 -> 3-4
send 3 to Track B 5-6 -> 5-6
send 4 to Track B 7-8 -> 7-8

on Track B, I instantiate the 4 other plug-ins :
plugin 1 input 1-2 / output 1-2
plugin 2 input 3-4 / output 1-2
plugin 3 input 5-6 / output 1-2
plugin 4 input 7-8 / output 1-2

But it does not work...
Any idea why ??

Thanks
Yan
ymaresz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
nicholas
Scribe

Two points:

1. What you are doing will send the audio thru the plug-in twice. Eg if your 3/4 plug-in is ReaDelay and it is in both tracks, then delay will be added in the first track, and again in the second track. You can do this, but is this what you want?

2. In track two, make output for each plug-in same as input, eg 3/4 to 3/4. Then at the end of the chain add a channel mixer JS plug-in, eg 8 mono to 1 stereo.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:04 PM   #3
ashcat_lt

1. If the first plugin puts out on 1/2, then it will be feeding into every other plugin on that track. If you actually want the subsequent plugins to get the original unaffected signal, then that first plugin needs to not overwrite 1/2. It’s output will be 3/4, then shift all the others up one pair.

2. As nicholas says, each of those plugins is overwriting (replacing, not mixing with) whatever the previous one put onto 1/2, so you will end up with only the last one’s output. You should keep them separate until the end and then mix them together with another plugin. There are those channel mixer plugs, but you can use about any other plugin just by setting its input to take from all of those pairs at the same time.

3. The spare channels on these tracks will pass up the master/parent send if the parent is multichannel. This can cause issues if, for example, they are in a folder and you want to like put a compressor on the folder and sidechain it from some other track. You can of course just use yet another set of channels for that sidechain channel, but it catches people by surprise so I figured I’d warn you ahead of time.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:48 PM   #4
ymaresz

Thanks you very much !
very helpful.

All good now.
Best

Yan
ymaresz is offline   Reply With Quote