Old 08-27-2020, 06:57 AM   #521
mccrabney
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Is Razor Edit supposed to obey the 'trim content behind AI rule'?
Or does RE always replace the target areas when moving items?
^ i would think it should always replace, the same behavior as media items.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:15 PM   #522
mccrabney

regarding RE snapping, does anyone have a workflow for getting nice, quantized RE blocks? i'm seeing that REs are snapping to items no matter what my snap settings - is there a way to disable this that i'm missing?

if i'm not hitting shift+rightclick to draw in an RE off-grid, i don't want my RE to snap to anything but the grid
Old 08-29-2020, 04:36 AM   #523
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
regarding RE snapping, does anyone have a workflow for getting nice, quantized RE blocks? i'm seeing that REs are snapping to items no matter what my snap settings - is there a way to disable this that i'm missing?
This is currently controlled by the snap setting "snap media items to nearby media items."
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:21 AM   #524
mccrabney

cool, thanks. i'll turn that off for a while and see if it i miss it much.

i think REs probably deserve their own snap settings, and since they're not "items," users might not intuit the above parameter relationship.

i use "snap items to items up to 0 tracks away" for comping and microediting purposes -- it's very useful in that single-track context. however, in my workflow, REs are more grid-centric than item-centric, and i'm having a harder time [drawing] RE blocks where i want them without increasing my mouse accuracy.

tldr, i want to zoom out, set grid to 4, RE-seize big blocks of a song for structural edits, and move/copy them elsewhere - without the "snap to items" param interfering with my outrageous grid settings

Last edited by mccrabney; 08-29-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:23 AM   #525
amagalma

Quote:
I think REs probably deserve their own snap settings, and since they're not "items," users might not intuit the above parameter relationship.
This! Please!?..
Old 08-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #526
mccrabney

i love the "copy/move horizontally" mouse modifiers for RE.

in configuring my left click mouse modifiers for "RE area," i find myself missing "[copy/move] areas horizontally ignoring snap"

i would continue the tradition of using "shift" as a "ignore snap" modifier, as suggested by blue scrawl below:

Old 08-29-2020, 01:23 PM   #527
heda

thinking about the vertical/horizontal movement...
I think razor edits could obey the lock setting "items (prevent up/down movement)" and "items (prevent left/right movement)
This way we don't need to think about additional mouse modifiers and setup the locking as needed with the already available option to lock items.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:41 PM   #528
mccrabney

hey heda, until now i've never really used any of the functions, but after a little research i certainly know that i'll be using "Locking: Set up/down item locking mode" on my items controlling your "Marker/Region Media Items" script! thanks for that

however, i'd rather not have to plan ahead and set item locking just for a quick snapless RE movement. it seems more feature-complete to let all of the mouse modifiers combine functionality as they are added by increasingly claw-like finger presses of ctrl, alt, and shift.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:19 PM   #529
mccrabney

issue exposition: when a user alt-stretches an RE area that abuts another items, both the RE and the adjacent items are stretched by default:

in the context of regular selections, this is considered a "two handed stretch" and it has its own 2 handed icon:

i see the use case for the above behavior when stretching RE areas, but i don't know if i agree that should be the default behavior. when stretching an RE, i would expect that only the RE area is being stretched -- much like an item, until/unless i saw the double handed mouse cursor icon appear. after all, what's included in the RE is what has been selected - not the item on the outside.

meanwhile, i see that we can use the modifier to "split media item at all area edges" in order to get a "single handed split" and stretch only the RE area.

i might suggest swapping this behavior -- so that the doublehanded stretch only occurs when an RE edge either lands on an item split already, or it has been used to create one.

in any case, when stretching applicable RE areas, the "hand stretch" cursor icon should probably switch to the "double handed stretch" icon for clarity.

perhaps the answer is a mouse modifier for "stretch RE + conjoined item via warp marker" and another for "stretch RE via split on stretched edge"
Old 08-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #530
_Stevie_

Quote:

i think REs probably deserve their own snap settings, and since they're not "items," users might not intuit the above parameter relationship.
Voting for this as well.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #531
sonictim

Working in post production Something I use constantly is setting my edit cursor where I need to sync and then moving an item edge to the edit cursor. I have this mapped to CTRL + left click. I would love to be able to do this with razor edits as well. Having the ability to either move or copy a chunk of material via razor edit to where the edit cursor is parked seems like a very fundamental and important action that is missing from the current razor edit actions and it would greatly help workflows that involve any kind of synchronization or alignment, especially if you are not on a grid. . There is move left and move right, and I would love another option, move to edit cursor. Ideally I’d love an option for both the left side and the right side of the Razor edit and a version that moves and a version that copies.

Thanks for listening!
sonictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:55 AM   #532
Teddy

Default Feature request: new context – media item top half

It would be really nice if you could add "Media item top half" as a mouse modifier context, or at least have the option of switching the "bottom" context to "top".

I have tried for some time now to get used to dragging on the bottom half of the track and not the top, but when switching studios all the time between ProTools and reaper, it messes with my head. I know it's not a good argument that PT does it a certain way, but I can imagine that there's plenty of people that are bound to switch daws every day through work.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:57 AM   #533
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
It would be really nice if you could add "Media item top half" as a mouse modifier context, or at least have the option of switching the "bottom" context to "top".
It's called Media item.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:32 AM   #534
Teddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
It's called Media item.
Ok, hehe, I feel silly now, but they don't work exactly the same, do they?

If my left click mouse modifiers are set like this:

Track: Deselect all items and move edit cursor
Media item: Select item and move edit cursor
Media item bottom half: Select item and move edit cursor

Then only the top half selects the item.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:36 AM   #535
vitalker

Quote:
What is the issue? I don't understand. You set actions you need for bottom half and actions you need for top half.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:17 AM   #536
Teddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
What is the issue? I don't understand. You set actions you need for bottom half and actions you need for top half.
The problem is that it didn't work the way I set it, and that looks like a bug. But I'll experiment some more and see if I run into any issues. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:23 AM   #537
vitalker

Quote:
The problem is that it didn't work the way I set it, and that looks like a bug. But I'll experiment some more and see if I run into any issues. Thanks for your help.
Show your settings for these two contexts.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:23 AM   #538
nofish

Quote:

If my left click mouse modifiers are set like this:

Track: Deselect all items and move edit cursor
Media item: Select item and move edit cursor
Media item bottom half: Select item and move edit cursor

Then only the top half selects the item.
There's a preference that disable bottom half mouse modifier if track is below a certain height, maybe it's that?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....78#post2340278

(Btw. as bottom half is assigned to the same action, 'Pass through to item click context' should work too in this case.)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:19 AM   #539
Teddy

Thanks, nofish. I've had the pixel setting for bottom half set to 0px the whole time, so I don't think that's it. Anyway, 'Pass through to item click context' should solve it, as you pointed out.

Another question: Is there any way to *not* move a razor area when dragging inside it? Setting no action on Razor edit area left drag has no effect.

Optimally I would like to draw a new razor area at every left drag on the upper half of the track, regardless of the drag being inside or outside a razor area or over a media item.

Can I do that?

Last edited by Teddy; 09-06-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:32 PM   #540
Mosaic Music

Over the past few weeks, I decided to take a deep-dive into Razor edit, and rather than making one huge post, I made a 20-minute video with a screencap, which I figured would be a lot easier. It's 'unlisted', so not publicly visible on YouTube, since I made it only with the intention of discussion on the forums here.

I did a comparison to the area selection functionality in a few other DAWs (Pro Tools, Samplitude, Studio One), and came up with a few ideas and suggestions. I'm a bit of a DAW nomad, and have used at one time or another nearly every major DAW for an extended period of time, so it was interesting to analyze Reaper's currently developing implementation of area selection compared to other DAWs.

Additionally, I found a few bugs relating to mouse modifiers (one of which is present in the release version of Reaper), and some inconsistencies in editing behavior relating to crossfade behavior and item selection.

Here's the video link: https://youtu.be/YwXMqlir4UA
(When switching DAWs, the audio capture cut out for a brief moment, apologies for that!)

And here's the timestamps:
1:31 - Bug: Mouse Modifier, Razor edit area, suggestion for top/bottom half
3:55 - Bugs: Media item top half/bottom half left click, left drag
7:13 - More detail on bug behavior and suggestion/consideration: Item selection behavior when clicking to move edit cursor
11:02 - Looking at crossfade behavior and Razor editing
13:12 - Looking at inconsistencies in general crossfade behavior in Reaper
20:34 - Missing functionality or actions with Razor edit: Smart split
22:04 - Item selection behavior with Razor edit
24:03 - Suggestion: Slip item contents within razor edit

I tried to look at some of these topics with as much detail as I could. I'd love to hear your all's thoughts and feedback!
Mosaic Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:19 PM   #541
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic Music View Post
Over the past few weeks, I decided to take a deep-dive into Razor edit, and rather than making one huge post, I made a 20-minute video with a screencap, which I figured would be a lot easier. It's 'unlisted', so not publicly visible on YouTube, since I made it only with the intention of discussion on the forums here.
This is really great -- expect a number of changelog items in the next +dev build that refer to this post.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:37 PM   #542
Odys

Quote:
7:13 - More detail on bug behavior and suggestion/consideration: Item selection behavior when clicking to move edit cursor
You can move just edit cursor with middle mouse button
Odys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #543
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
This is really great -- expect a number of changelog items in the next +dev build that refer to this post.
I ve just watched the video... Mosaic Music has done a really great job!! I am happy to see that you watched it and you ll consider his suggestions, Schwa!
Old 09-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #544
tdc

Moved post from other thread.

Is there a way to perform a Razor Edit copy region, and have the resulting new copies be assigned to a new group that is independent from the source of the copy?

At present I am having to ungroup, deselect, select and regroup to achieve this.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #545
tdc

Quote:
I made a 20-minute video with a screencap, which I figured would be a lot easier.
Fantastic approach to this topic MosaicMusic. Thanks for taking the time to illustrate your points.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:04 PM   #546
ReaMike

Quote:
I tried to look at some of these topics with as much detail as I could. I'd love to hear your all's thoughts and feedback!
Great video. No arguments against any of your suggestions from me.
ReaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:31 PM   #547
Funkybot

Great video. Agree on all points.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:58 PM   #548
_Stevie_

@Mosaic Music: thanks for recording this brilliant video. I also agree on everything you mentioned.
But especially with „clicking on item clears all selected items“. You explained perfectly why this is an undesired behavior. I have custom scripts assigned to mouse modifiers and the deselection also happens in conjunction with these.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:07 AM   #549
Embass

Quote:
Over the past few weeks..
action 'Item: Split items at time selection' also works with Razor edits

you can set arrange view middle click to 'move edit cursor ignoring snap'
this way it only moves edit cursor (does not change media item selection)
Embass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:44 AM   #550
Stevie

Quote:
brilliant suggestions

Last edited by Stevie; 09-16-2020 at 04:54 AM.
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #551
Mosaic Music

I appreciate it all, I'm glad to be of some use anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I'm excited to hear that! I'll keep an eye out for those and do my best to help test them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embass View Post
action 'Item: Split items at time selection' also works with Razor edits. you can set arrange view middle click to 'move edit cursor ignoring snap'
this way it only moves edit cursor (does not change media item selection)
This is good to hear, for sure. While a smart cut and copy exist, and now that delete has been made context-aware with razor edit, it seems like a 'smart split' is the only one missing now. In other words, "If no time selection/razor edit is present, split selected items at edit cursor. If time selection/razor edit is present, split selected items at time selection/razor edit". In my own customized version of Reaper, that was one of the main features I added to give myself a 'psuedo-razor edit' workflow using time selection combined with item selection, and using the 'marquee select items and time' mouse modifier on top half left drag. With the help of nofish, we put together a context-aware split command, that way the "S" key splits selected items at edit cursor, or selected items at time selection, and is context aware, so that two key commands aren't needed for what would just be one smarter action. Here's the script, if you're curious:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odys View Post
You can move just edit cursor with middle mouse button
This is good to hear, I didn't know about this actually. It would be tricky to get used to using the middle mouse button to place the edit cursor though. It seems like the bug is only with left click then.
Mosaic Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:37 AM   #552
Embass

Try this script:
Code:
-- lua script

-- If time selection/razor edit is present, split selected items at time selection/razor edit"
-- if split failed then split at edit cursor

-- If no time selection/razor edit is present, split selected items at edit cursor.

function time_sel_exist()
	local start_time, end_time = reaper.GetSet_LoopTimeRange(false, false, 0, 0, false)
	if start_time ~= end_time then return true end 
end

function area_sel_exist()
	for i = 0, reaper.CountTracks(0) - 1 do
		local ok, str = reaper.GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String(reaper.GetTrack(0, i), "P_RAZOREDITS", "", false)
		if str ~= "" then return true end -- exit
	end
end

reaper.PreventUIRefresh(1)
reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()

local undo_name
if time_sel_exist() or area_sel_exist() then
	local item_count = reaper.CountMediaItems(0)
	reaper.Main_OnCommand(40061, 0) -- Item: Split items at time selection
	local item_count2 = reaper.CountMediaItems(0)
	if item_count == item_count2 then
		reaper.Main_OnCommand(40757, 0) -- Item: Split items at edit cursor (no change selection)
		undo_name = "Split items"
	else
		undo_name = "Split at selection"
	end
else
	reaper.Main_OnCommand(40757, 0) -- Item: Split items at edit cursor (no change selection)
end

reaper.Undo_EndBlock(undo_name, -1)
reaper.PreventUIRefresh(-1)
reaper.UpdateArrange()
or this:
Code:
-- lua script

-- If time selection/razor edit is present, split selected items at time selection/razor edit"
-- If no time selection/razor edit is present, split selected items at edit cursor.

function time_sel_exist()
	local start_time, end_time = reaper.GetSet_LoopTimeRange(false, false, 0, 0, false)
	if start_time ~= end_time then return true end 
end

function area_sel_exist()
	for i = 0, reaper.CountTracks(0) - 1 do
		local ok, str = reaper.GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String(reaper.GetTrack(0, i), "P_RAZOREDITS", "", false)
		if str ~= "" then return true end -- exit
	end
end

reaper.PreventUIRefresh(1)
reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()

local undo_name
if time_sel_exist() or area_sel_exist() then
	reaper.Main_OnCommand(40061, 0) -- Item: Split items at time selection
	undo_name = "Split at selection"
else
end

reaper.Undo_EndBlock(undo_name, -1)
reaper.PreventUIRefresh(-1)
reaper.UpdateArrange()
Embass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:47 AM   #553
Stevie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Voting for this as well.
i mean, more separation = more confusing things will happen, no?
Old 09-20-2020, 03:20 PM   #554
sonictim

Default Unable to Move Razor Edit when Tracks are SuperCollapsed

Hello, I think I found a little bug. When my tracks are collapsed all the way (super collapsed), I can no longer drag/move my razor edit selection (which is my default left drag behavior). Instead, it creates a new razor edit selection.

All behaviors in the image are a result of left drag on my mouse (no modifier keys). I would assume the razor edit selection behavior would remain the same for any track size, but it does not seem to be the case.

Thank you for investigating.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:23 AM   #555
Stevie

RE does not work on master envelopes
Old 10-01-2020, 10:40 AM   #556
stillshaded

It would be really handy to have a mouse modifier or action to toggle mute for area selection. Trying to think of what the quickest way to must a section of audio, and I think this would be it. Otherwise, I have to split the item and then mute.

I'm sure I could create a custom action for this to work with time selection, but razor edit would be superior.
stillshaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #557
bucca

such an important vid. thank you so much.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:28 PM   #558
juliansader

Several of the scripts in the "Razor Edit Scripts" showcase thread involve adding edge points to razor selections, similar to what the "Move envelope segment" mouse modifier does with the time selection.

It might be useful to add this function as a native Action and/or mouse modifier for Razor selections.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:16 PM   #559
sonictim

Default BUG: RAZOR EDITS draw improperly when envelopes are hidden..

I wasn't quite sure where to post this... I've noticed this bug/weird behavior for a number of versions now, so I thought best to put here as it is in regard to razor edits in general. Occasionally, I see weird lines in my razor edits, and I could figure out what the cause was until now....

When I have envelopes hidden, the razor edit draws the bottom line for the track in the track below... it looks like it's trying to draw the bottom of the line at where it thinks the envelop track might be...

In the following screen capture, I use razor edits to select tracks that do not contain any envelopes... then I activate my volume envelope.... and do the same... So far everything is working awesome! But when I hide the envelope... that's when you'll see the drawing behavior acting funny...

There are no other scripts running on my system when this capture was made....

It seems to be purely a cosmetic thing....

Old 10-10-2020, 07:47 AM   #560
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonictim View Post
When I have envelopes hidden, the razor edit draws the bottom line for the track in the track below... it looks like it's trying to draw the bottom of the line at where it thinks the envelop track might be...
Fixing, thanks for the report.