Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 09-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
mtrn
Human being with feelings

Default With Source/Destination editing mode, REAPER would be so beautiful

Hello,

It would be so cool to have the Source/Destination editing mode in REAPER.
Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh-j3jblSfQ

I am working for pro podacst, and I would be happy to have this function. Just great if you can ever go there.
For exemple, in SEQUOIA, all shortuctus are here (with CTRL and SHIFT command):https://images.app.goo.gl/fmHJB9sKA9y8myjeA. It's very impressive workflow. Please !

I'm doing the keyboard editing of a complex podcast with 10 calvier keys, it's really interesting. It would also be interesting for music because it is very creative; you can easily follow a score.

Thank you. Best !

Math

Last edited by mtrn; 09-16-2020 at 12:45 PM.
mtrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
andyp24

There is a user called Jonathan Cohler, who has written an extensive set of scripts called Cohler Classical, which provides (among other things) S-D editing.

Be warned, it is not cheap (although compared to Sequoia it is!!) and costs considerably more than Reaper itself.

Also, Mr Cohler's confrontational attitude has not endeared him to many users of this forum.

But with those warnings in mind, look up Cohler Classical (on this forum) and see if it works for you.

Andy
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:42 AM   #3
tdc

Having tried the Cohler scripts, we found it unsuitable as it completely changes the config, menus and key-commands and caused us too much friction in adopting it. Its clear that it has taken a largeamount of work to put together and I am sure some folks will find it of great use.

Would really like to see some additional native features that support 3 and four point editing, as well as a solution to the need for something like Track-Versions or Playlists to allow us to have multiple source takes stacked on top of each other as sources.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
cohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Having tried the Cohler scripts, we found it unsuitable as it completely changes the config, menus and key-commands and caused us too much friction in adopting it. Its clear that it has taken a largeamount of work to put together and I am sure some folks will find it of great use.
Of course, Cohler Classical changes the menus and key-commands and many other things, because it is customized for Source-Destination editing. If it didn't make those changes, it wouldn't be a Source Destination editor.

That said, REAPER allows customization of virtually everything, and that is THE major benefit of REAPER over all other DAWs.

The learning curve for using Cohler Classical, however, is extremely short, and beyond numerous audio professional users, we have professional musicians all over the world who have never used a DAW in their lives and who are up and running editing music on CC in one day!

Can't get much faster and easier than that!

We would love to give you a demo at some point, Tony @tdc, because you did indeed install a trial license of CC for a few days, but you never got in touch about a demo.

We guarantee that we can have you up, running, and productively editing in a matter of minutes.

FYI, there's another feature of REAPER called "Portable Install" which allows you to have multiple installations of REAPER on one machine, and each one can have TOTALLY different configuration. This allows you to have the menus and keys the way you like for your NON Source-Destination editing projects, and the optimized CC menus for Source Destination editing both simultaneously. You can literally application switch between two, three, or more REAPER configurations with a single keystroke.
cohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:57 PM   #5
tdc

Thanks Jonathan, noted.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:11 PM   #6
mtrn

Thank you for your posts, I'm glad the topic speaks to you. Thanks Cohler for your work, I'll try your code. I watched the presentation video; your work seems crazy, well done. It is almost too evolved for my wish Have you ever discussed with COCKOS for a native implementation? It is important for me to work natively because I have part of my work with NGOs who have no money to buy equipment and I cannot install anything other than REAPER on the workstations. Thanks Meo-Ada Mespotine, the process is indeed this one.

At the moment, I am working on a recording session for France Culture (French national radio) where we have 12 hours of recording of actors, all linked to a paper script with time line markers. The use of the Source / Destination I am using is simple, I like it in its workflow (we are talking about 3-point editing). I say simple because I do not use the vertical comparison of the takes, I stay in horizontal. And I wouldn't want the method to be too "geeky", too "technical" because I have to teach it to a lot of different people (for example: I need to work on a single project). In radio fiction, the actors are not at the click, so the reading of the waveform is done more compared to the paper script than vertically (as the "real" source destination editing mode).

Here in particular I am working with two stereo tracks. I define two tracks as being able to be source destination at the same time. The recording starts from the beginning of the session until the end of the recording. Following that, on the same two tracks, I set a marker for "Episode N01" for example. Action: I put an IN DESTINATION POINT. I am at a rather high zoom factor for pleasant waveform reading. Action: I will directly (with the same zoom factor) search for a marker for the take that I spotted while recording. I isolate a part with an IN SOURCE POINT and an OUT POINT SOURCE. Action: I perform an INSERT or an INSERT WITH RIPPLE. Action: go to the IN DESTINATION POINT. Always with the same horizontal zoom ratio, the fluidity of work is exemplary. Action: I return to the IN SOURCE POINT to choose another part of the assembly. And so on.
I have been doing this job for a long time, I can tell you that it is a formidable technique and that it would be great to see this function in REAPER. We are really talking here about a relationship to virtual editing, that is to say that we never touch the structure of the recording. It's really cool.

Indeed Cohler, the production team very quickly captured the logic and could not do without it now. It becomes for me just essential for many applications. I hear myself say in the corridors to my colleagues: "Ah since I learned this technique in SEQUOIA, I finally found a weak point in REAPER". It makes them laugh because they know that I really like REAPER.

The fact that the TRIM EDITOR is not fully developed in REAPER doesn't bother me too much. Usually, for the work I do, my ears are enough for me. I don't do classical music, I work with the voice of the actors and the sounds of the city, I have the right to crossfade without problems.

I'm trying to get you quick screenshots as well as a video of the workflow. Thanks for reading me.

An example of shortcuts in Sequoia with following actions (3 points SD editing):

CTRL+HOME = Set In Source Point
Space for Playback = Choice of material
CTRL+END = Set Out Source Point
END = Go to end of project
SHIFT+HOME = Set In Destination Point
F9 = Insert / F10 = Insert with Ripple
CTRL+SHIFT+PAGE UP = Go to Soucre Points
CTRL+SHIT+PAGE DOWN = Go to Destination Points

Last edited by mtrn; 09-26-2020 at 03:19 AM.
mtrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:37 PM   #7
cohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp24 View Post
There is a user called Jonathan Cohler, who has written an extensive set of scripts called Cohler Classical, which provides (among other things) S-D editing.

Be warned, it is not cheap (although compared to Sequoia it is!!) and costs considerably more than Reaper itself.

Also, Mr Cohler's confrontational attitude has not endeared him to many users of this forum.

But with those warnings in mind, look up Cohler Classical (on this forum) and see if it works for you.

Andy
FYI, Cohler Classical is definitely NOT simply a "set of scripts". It is an entire application built on top of REAPER including about 10,000 lines of code at this point.

It is in use all over the world by organizations such as the London Philharmonia, at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, the Pittsburgh Symphony, engineers, studios, and many musicians.

It brings complete multi-track track-group editing to REAPER. It is designed for people doing to multi-track track-group editing, not for people doing assembly editing, which is fundamentally a single-track process. So if you are doing click-track stuff, that's single track editing and assembly.

If you record multiple acoustic microphones simultaneously, then you need Cohler Classical.

It is VERY inexpensive at $125 for personal license and $250 for a business license (5 to 20 times less expensive than any other software with even a fraction of the functionality).

If you want a demo contact me at info@cohlerclassical.com or check out the thirty or more videos HERE. For a quick 5-minute overview of the functionality try this video.

You can also download a free, full-functional 14-day trial HERE.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #8
Meo-Ada Mespotine

@cohler
C'mon, this is a feature request, not an advertising space.
It's ok to link to your application for interested users but advertisement unrelated to the FR is not ok.

@mtrn
Can't watch the video due really bad internet over here :/ , so could you explain what source/destination edit is?
Just a general explanation so I can get the broad idea behind it.
Thank you

On vacation for the time being...

Last edited by Meo-Ada Mespotine; 09-20-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:31 PM   #9
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
@mtrn
Can't watch the video due really bad internet over here :/ , so could you explain what source/destination edit is?
Just a general explanation so I can get the broad idea behind it.
Thank you
This explains it pretty well:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...88&postcount=5
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:11 AM   #10
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Ah, yes this sounds really neat!

The editing itself should be easy to do as a script but the crossfade editor could be the challenge.

+1, even if it's only improvements in the crossfade editor of Reaper so we could write that properly.
The current crossfades are probably not enough for the desired control over it, as I think that you may need "paintable" crossfades, to emphasize important parts in the crossfade. This could allow better seamless integration of the pasted part into the performance of the destination.
The more or less linear ones currently in Reaper aren't sufficient for that, I think.

Again, +1 for that.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:19 AM   #11
cohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
@cohler
C'mon, this is a feature request, not an advertising space.
It's ok to link to your application for interested users but advertisement unrelated to the FR is not ok.
@Meo-Ada Mespotine
C'mon, I was responding directly and specifically to statements and questions raised. Harassment is not OK.