Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-22-2022, 11:35 PM   #1
iharpyou
Human being with feelings

Default Playing two instrument separately and put them together

I want to play Guitar with harmonica and It is OK for me to do both at the same time.
I have played both for years but there is one problem.

As my hands are both playing I need to mount the harmonica on a rack
A harmonica on a Rack does not sound as nice as when it is inside your hands
A harmonica in your hands goes deeper in your mouth and gives a more round nice sound.

Some body suggested here that I do this in live performance and for DAW I can play them separately .

It seems a good idea however The problem for me is synchronization. I turn on metronome etc but no matter what some thing is not always working together.

I see in youtube a lot of people do it but I do not have any idea how they put them together?

Please help
iharpyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:35 AM   #2
ivansc

PLAY them together, recorded separately!

It just takes a little practice, but since you are the one doing the original guitar part, you should be comfortable playing harmonica along to that guitar groove. The only real way to do it right is to practise doing it right.

Anything else involves far too much fiddling around and will not help you improve as a musician.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:46 AM   #3
iharpyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
PLAY them together, recorded separately!

It just takes a little practice, but since you are the one doing the original guitar part, you should be comfortable playing harmonica along to that guitar groove. The only real way to do it right is to practise doing it right.

Anything else involves far too much fiddling around and will not help you improve as a musician.
I am not sure but I think some where I saw a tutorial that in reaper it is possible to make them synchronize
Old 01-23-2022, 05:22 AM   #4
Judders

It will sound better recording it in time rather than trying to line up the audio afterwards.

Did you say you have a Scarlett interface? You should use direct monitoring so that you don't have to deal with latency.

Be prepared to practice and do a number of takes. It might be that you end up taking the best bits of several takes.

If you're used to playing live without a click I would suggest not using a click when you record. You will lose variations in tempo that add to expression and give your performances character.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:17 AM   #5
iharpyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
It will sound better recording it in time rather than trying to line up the audio afterwards.

Did you say you have a Scarlett interface? You should use direct monitoring so that you don't have to deal with latency.

Be prepared to practice and do a number of takes. It might be that you end up taking the best bits of several takes.

If you're used to playing live without a click I would suggest not using a click when you record. You will lose variations in tempo that add to expression and give your performances character.

Thanks I use Motu 4 but have no idea about direct monitoring. Not sure if it even support?
Old 01-23-2022, 06:32 AM   #6
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by iharpyou View Post
Thanks I use Motu 4 but have no idea about direct monitoring. Not sure if it even support?
It does. Press the MON button.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:05 AM   #7
iharpyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
It does. Press the MON button.
LOL OK thanks
Old 01-23-2022, 09:12 AM   #8
karbomusic

I guess you can see by my avatar I know what you mean. Or not, but that is a harp on a rack I'm playing at a show.

Sometimes playing and singing at the same time (or playing and harp at the same time and sometimes all three), interact with each other in such a way, that just sounds best whether it fits well with a metronome or not. Because both are keying off each other at the same time.

"IF" that's the case with you then you have to make a choice, lose some harp tone for the performance, or lose some performance for the harp tone. If not the case for you, then just record the harp separately on it's own track as that's the easiest way from a studio recording perspective.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:35 AM   #9
iharpyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I guess you can see by my avatar I know what you mean. Or not, but that is a harp on a rack I'm playing at a show.

Sometimes playing and singing at the same time (or playing and harp at the same time and sometimes all three), interact with each other in such a way, that just sounds best whether it fits well with a metronome or not. Because both are keying off each other at the same time.

"IF" that's the case with you then you have to make a choice, lose some harp tone for the performance, or lose some performance for the harp tone. If not the case for you, then just record the harp separately on it's own track as that's the easiest way from a studio recording perspective.
Great so you know what I mean. I might try both playing each at it's own track or play both together .

What do you record? You must have experience
Old 01-23-2022, 10:44 AM   #10
mixer9

If you get vocal, harp and guitar down on a single track, you can use that as a reference in your headphones and record separate tracks of harp, vocal and guitar while listening to the first track. At some point you can drop the combined track for the separate tracks, which should be better quality.
mixer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:05 AM   #11
iharpyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer9 View Post
If you get vocal, harp and guitar down on a single track, you can use that as a reference in your headphones and record separate tracks of harp, vocal and guitar while listening to the first track. At some point you can drop the combined track for the separate tracks, which should be better quality.
Thanks a lot . Great tip
Old 01-24-2022, 08:49 AM   #12
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer9 View Post
^^^ That's known as a "scratch track".

Another option is to keep the original performance and add layered vocals, harmonies, different chord voicings etc. to augment it.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:05 AM   #13
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by iharpyou View Post
I am not sure but I think some where I saw a tutorial that in reaper it is possible to make them synchronize
If it is to be exactly synchronised, you could be spending hours if not days. Just getting the two tracks to begin and end together & stay roughly in synch all the way through is one thing. Getting your performances to all be top notch even though you are doing all of them is nowhere near as easy.

I did my first pro studio recording in 1961 or 2 so I do have a lot of practice & it can still catch you out unless you are really well rehearsed & very comfortable with your ability to hear what is happening from everything you are playing/singing at once.
That`s why I think it would be easier just to get yourself really tight and consistent on the individual tracks.
Nowadays I usually do a scratch track with the guitar and vox on it, either with a very basic drum track or a metronome to keep me in place and easy to cut and paste if needed.