Old 12-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
timlloyd
Human being with feelings

Default OSX Users please test

Hello again, I'm back with more complaining about the time-selection graphics on OSX (sorry JCS......)

If you use Reaper on OSX, please test drawing a time selection:

Quote:
- Whole-screen sized (not full-screen)
- Half-width sized (full height)

The time selection draws significantly smoother and faster when the arrange window is half-width. This is a little strange imo. It's even more obvious if you draw a marquee + time selection simultaneously. Any ideas on why it gets worse with increased window width? Decreasing the height of the arrange window also speeds it up, but nowhere near as much as decreasing the width.

Now do the same test, but with the SWS zoom feature. No differences, and the graphics are drawn significantly faster and smoother in both cases.

Any OSX users who feel that the time selection still feels too slow, please make yourselves heard in here! How it is atm makes editing feel clunky, and does actually slow me down

It can be better, we're still a lot slower graphically than the windows build!

//////////////

I am running REAPER on a mbp with 17" 1920x1200 HD screen, which will be one reason for my slow experience.

However, surely there are some optimisations that could be made when such resolution is detected? I can't reduce my screen-res without everything becoming blurry, so improvements in this area are wanted quite badly.

Thank you and Merry Christmas
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Janne83

Hey

Here everything works very smooth. MBP 15 with a external 24 AOC Monitor.On both screens and on sizes you suggested.

Maybe its UI updating setting.I have set on lazy always fully buffered.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
UncleAge

I'll check it when I get home later.
UncleAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
UncleAge

I tried this several times using time selection and marquee selection and I found no difference. It work smoothly regardless of the window's dimensions.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
timlloyd

Ok...are you all sure that the time sel isn't drawing a lot slower than the SWS zoom marquee, or a similar marquee/selection in Logic or Pro Tools for example? Forget about "smoothness".....how is the speed? My reference to "smoothness" is about the differing drawing speed of the time-sel and marquee-sel....the marquee draws faster, so there is a jittery look to using them simultaneously.

The difference between my Reaper time-sel, the SWS zoom marquee, equivalent Pro Tools selections and Logic's marquee and area-selection is not subtle on my laptop.

Either you're all just used to slow graphics ( ), or there is something about my laptop (graphics card?) that is slowing me down a lot......

......however, be that as it may, it's still also an issue with the OSX build, because I can boot camp into Windows 7 and have significantly faster response, all with the same hardware...the only difference is the operating system and Reaper build......

I'm surprised that I'm the only one being bothered by this.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
bitrate

I'm on a PPC G5 and notice no lag. Making a time selection or marquee to select a group of items is just as fast as it is in Logic or other, for me, no matter what the window size. It goes as fast as I can draw it, which is immediate. Maybe there is some setting on your graphics card that isn't keeping up?
bitrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
Janne83

Yes you are right.Reaper moves a lot snapier in Windows.Especially scrolling.However all the scrolling in Windoes 7 is faster than in OS X.

If I compare Logic cycle and Reapers time selection with marquee it moves with same speed.I dont notice any difference (I have 2 computers a MBP and a 8 core Macpro-both act the same)

Digital Performer movement an zooming in Studio I work in is behaving like a dead horse in comparison with the snapiness of Reaper and Logic.

Try to experiment with the user interface updating settings in preferences/appearance and also try to loer the VU meters refresh rate a bit.

Oh yes and Merry Christmas to all
Old 12-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
UncleAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
Ok...are you all sure that the time sel isn't drawing a lot slower than the SWS zoom marquee, or a similar marquee/selection in Logic or Pro Tools for example? Forget about "smoothness".....how is the speed? My reference to "smoothness" is about the differing drawing speed of the time-sel and marquee-sel....the marquee draws faster, so there is a jittery look to using them simultaneously.

The difference between my Reaper time-sel, the SWS zoom marquee, equivalent Pro Tools selections and Logic's marquee and area-selection is not subtle on my laptop.

Either you're all just used to slow graphics ( ), or there is something about my laptop (graphics card?) that is slowing me down a lot......

......however, be that as it may, it's still also an issue with the OSX build, because I can boot camp into Windows 7 and have significantly faster response, all with the same hardware...the only difference is the operating system and Reaper build......

I'm surprised that I'm the only one being bothered by this.
I'm not on a laptop. I have an iMac i7/4GB/ATI Radeon HD4850 on OSX 10.6.4. I don't have any SWS extensions installed. The time selection and marquee selection moves as fast as my cursor moves, with zero lag or delay. Even though I don't have Logic or ProTools installed I couldn't imagine that particular feature working smoother or faster than it does already. I do have Live installed on my machine as well and I don't have any graphic issues there either.

And for the record my pc is running Live as well as Reaper. Custom built Q6600/2GB/Nvidia GForce 8600 GT on XP SP2. I have the Reaper Alpha build 18 installed on both and there is no visual or functional difference. They both operate as fast as I can move my mouse with zero lag. Sounds like it might be a MB/MBP issue.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
UncleAge

And if it matters my UI settings in prefs are:
Lazy When Recording/Fully Buffered
Old 12-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
timlloyd

My UI settings are the same.

Hmmm.......well it seems to be something funky with my mbp then...shame...not sure what to do about it!

ne'er mind for now though
Old 12-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
bitrate

DId you try booting in Safe Mode (no extensions)? With variable stuff installed (that's always different than with someone else), there's the chance of having a conflict with something, mucking up things. Maybe not, but just a thought.
bitrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
AdamWathan

Same for me timlloyd, you aren't crazy and there's nothing wrong with your computer. I had the same issue on a brand new 2010 27" iMac as well, it's subtle but it's noticeable especially back to back vs. Pro Tools or even the SWS Zoom selection.
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote