Old 07-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #81
lawrs
Human being with feelings

Very cool peterrabbit! I've tested out ver 0.22, the FLIP fader SEND mode with MUTE button works nicely.

There is one oddity I found which I think might be intended by you , just want to bring it up anyway.. hope you don't mind. In FLIP fader SEND mode, touching the encoders doesn't change selection of SEND #. To change the SEND selection, exit the FLIP SEND mode, then touch the encoder e.g #3 , and go into FLIP SEND mode again.

It would be great if SEND selection could be changed without having to exit FLIP mode. Ideal workflow would be FLIP SEND mode, touch encoder changes SEND selection, make changes on fader, touch encoder e.g #3 changes SEND selection to #3, make changes for SEND #3 on fader.

Having said that, I don't think this is a priority, because regularity of automating more than 1 SEND is rare. I think having the PLUG-IN button to FLIP and being able to write fx parameter automations with the fader would be much more beneficial. *wink*

Asides from this, the crashing bug is now gone ! The send gui on MCP still doesn't update immediately, only updates upon track selection change, but it's not a big issue. We can live with it.

Thank you again for this great gift. If you accept donations , please provide an email. I would gladly contribute if it helps to keep you motivated. Mucho gracias!
lawrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #82
lawrs

By the way, is there a specific way to edit envelope automations with the current FLIP SEND mode ? I can't seem to get the send volume envelope lane to read fader changes, nor send mute envelope lane too. I know you mentioned you're working on the FLIP SEND REC button , so I'm just checking with ya
Old 07-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #83
peterrabbit

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback on the plugin.

Lawrs, I see what you're saying about the edit send envelopes, they just seem to ignore the send value that the alphatrack is sending. There might be a force-update call of some sort that I'm not doing correctly on changes. That might also be related to the mixer gui not updating.

musicbynumbers: the alphatrack main fader has 10bit resolution. Is that what you were asking?

I'm going to be away for a bit over a week, so I won't be able to do any updates in that time. Hopefully will be able to get back into it after that.
peterrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:22 AM   #84
lawrs

Glad to be of any help mate. Hope to hear from ya soon!
Old 07-16-2010, 03:04 AM   #85
musicbynumbers

Thanks for that answer. That's great!

About send automation. I seem recall klinke having problems with this for his mackie controller plug in too so might be worth checking his thread for possible solutions.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:11 AM   #86
tonyuser

awesome work... can you also look at the fx parameter knob this is also quite coarse
tonyuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #87
lawrs

Peterrabbit, any chance of an update with recording automation possible ?
Old 08-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #88
peterrabbit

Hi lawrs, much to my annoyance, I've had to start working at work again, which has killed off some of my free time.

But I'd love to get some automation control in there, so we'll have to target my development pretty tightly. So rather than trying a few things out, I'll ask you: what is the simplest scenario you can think of to control automation?

My suggestion is the Auto button cycles through auto states for the currently selected track. The "AUTO READ" LED lights for "Trim/Read" and "Read" Modes. The "AUTO WRITE" LED lights for "Latch", "Touch", and "Write" modes. The LED state follows the currently selected track.

If you think of a better scenario, then let me know. The truth is I don't really use the alphatrack for automation, so I don't know the best way to implement this.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #89
lawrs

Yup, the AUTO button to engage cycle seems the simplest and most logical way of doing this. Please also include AUTO off as part of the cycling. I was wondering if it's possible when in FLIP mode, if user selects PLUG-IN button, the fader changes to control fx parameters, and when SEND button is engaged, fader changes to control SENDS. This would definitely complete the alphatrack's function.

I understand how you feel about work. I feel the same everyday, and in Asia, we only have 14 days of work-leave. Brutal really.

Thanks again for the initiative Peter.

Last edited by lawrs; 08-24-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:02 PM   #90
barbaroja

Testing 0.22 here. Works very well. I see the lag in the visual update for the sends. I have to hover the mouse over the send (in mixer view) to have it update. However, does not make a big deal.

About what musicbynumbers said with the resolution. I do not think "bits" is the correct word to describe what it does, but I think this is the plugin you are talking about. Let me elaborate:

I have set in my prefs the faders to be linear (Preferences-Editing behavior-set shape to 1.0)

Now compare what happens when moving the fader the tiniest increment you can:

With the native reaper alphatrack plug (and starting in 0dB, and going up, it reads like this:

0 +0.10 +0.19 +0.29 +0.38 +0.48 +0.58 +0.67 +0.77 +0.86

So it has an increment of around 0.097 db each tiny move.

Now with he peterrabbit plugin, it goes like this:
(Starts in -0.19 even when I double-click the fader to set it to zero)

-0.19 +0.48 +1.25 +2.02 +2.78 +3.55 +4.32 +5.09 +5.86 +6.53

So it has an increment of 0.77 dB.

It is eight times bigger, so you have eight times less precision when mixing. Myself, I have had to recur to reaper´s native plug due to this issue since adjustments this small are not uncommon, and if you are using the fader in reapers default shape (2.3) you will lose precision very fast, specially when you go up above 0dB. I have noticed, with reapers default plug that even the tiniest move is registered by reaper, with PR, it takes more fader displacement to have the display update a new reading. I think here lies the answer.

I hope there is a fix for this, and: thanks big time peterrabbit for this cool work! Hope I helped out pointing this.
barbaroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #91
lawrs

Any chance on updates peterrabit?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #92
barbaroja

Hi Lawrs, did you check what I wrote above? What do you think?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #93
RuairiAU

@peterrabbit
Great job on the plugin mate. Just noticed one minor issue, when using the rotary controls to change track, the Arm Record and solo lights do not update correctly. It works find if the track selector buttons are pressed, just not the rotary control.
RuairiAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #94
lawrs

Hi barbajora.

Sorry, I don't have much to say about your suggestion. I do agree that the increment should be halved, since you pointed out that the increment is 0.77dB. I just hope peterrabbit has the time for us all.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:21 AM   #95
RuairiAU

@peterrabbit
Any chance of getting your latest source code?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #96
peterrabbit

I only wish I had the time to do some work on this. But source code, I have plenty of that to give away.

RuairiAU, here it is. If you have any questions about getting it to work, I'll try to help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip csurf.zip (32.4 KB, 197 views)
Old 09-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #97
barbaroja

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterrabbit View Post
I only wish I had the time to do some work on this
we wish that too!!!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #98
RuairiAU

@peterrabbit

Thanks very much, I have it building and debugging. However, I don't want to get anyones hopes up. I'm a .NET developer by trade, not C++. I've only ever tinkered with C++ as a hobby. Also, like you, my time is limited.

That being said, has anyone thought of contacting Frontier Design and asking them to make the plugin? They've made plugins for most DAW's, but not for Reaper. I can only imagine that's because they reckon the user base is very small. So, I'd recommend emailing them and asking them to make a proper plugin, one thats on par with the Sonar plugin.
I've emailed them already, but the more the merrier. So pop an email over to info@frontierdesign.com and let them know you love the AlphaTrack and you want it working for Reaper.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #99
wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuairiAU View Post
@peterrabbit

Thanks very much, I have it building and debugging. However, I don't want to get anyones hopes up. I'm a .NET developer by trade, not C++. I've only ever tinkered with C++ as a hobby. Also, like you, my time is limited.

That being said, has anyone thought of contacting Frontier Design and asking them to make the plugin? They've made plugins for most DAW's, but not for Reaper. I can only imagine that's because they reckon the user base is very small. So, I'd recommend emailing them and asking them to make a proper plugin, one thats on par with the Sonar plugin.
I've emailed them already, but the more the merrier. So pop an email over to info@frontierdesign.com and let them know you love the AlphaTrack and you want it working for Reaper.
Been there done that ;-)

"We think that would be great too. But until Cockos releases an external control kit it has to be done on their end. The folks at Cockos did a great job implimenting support for our TranzPort controller. We would love to see them do the same for AlphaTrack. Feel free to drop them a line of encouragement.

Regards,

Alphatrack"
wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:45 AM   #100
RuairiAU

What the heck is an "external control kit"? They have an SDK, you can make plugins with this. What more do they need?

Maybe they're under the false presumption that the SDK can only replace the existing CSurf DLL, much like peterrabbits initial build.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I've sent them another email quoting the response you got. And I sent them a fully compilable build (inc SDK and pathing set up for debugging) of the AlphaTrack plugin peterrabbit made.
All they have to do is install Reaper, unrar the build, open it in visual studio 2010 and press F5; it's not rocket science.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:26 AM   #101
RuairiAU

Here's a quick patch for the issue I found before; where the AlphaTrack is not updated when the rotary knob is used to change track.
Attached Files
File Type: zip reaper_alphatrack.zip (73.3 KB, 198 views)
Old 10-01-2010, 05:52 AM   #102
RuairiAU

Another quick update before I go get drunk and play some Borderlands.

This update fixes the issues of Reaper not updating with changes. e.g. changing the Sends, EQ etc.
Attached Files
File Type: zip reaper_alphatrack.zip (73.2 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by RuairiAU; 10-01-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #103
barbaroja

Quote:
Another quick update before I go get drunk and play some Borderlands.

This update fixes the issues of Reaper not updating with changes. e.g. changing the Sends, EQ etc.
This is cool. I am testing as soon as I get rid of this crappy x64 system. Going back to good old 32 bits.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #104
wallace

Wow! You've been busy.
Good luck cracking this one, it's way beyond me
wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #105
RuairiAU

ver:0.24
Just a little update to allow fine and coarse adjustments to parameters when in plug-in mode. Click the rotary knob down for coarse movements, release for fine.
I also put in a dummy screen for the Auto mode, just to get some ideas of how it can work. However, I can't see method through the SDK to allow me to enumerate envelope types, so I dont think it's possible yet.
Attached Files
File Type: zip reaper_alphatrack.zip (97.8 KB, 209 views)
Old 10-02-2010, 01:38 AM   #106
tonyuser

Default awesome

wow, great work!! This is why REAPER is so good, great program and great users!
tonyuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:40 AM   #107
RuairiAU

ver 0.25
Added simple selection of automation mode. Reaper automatically adds and arms envelopes as you tinker with settings while in a write mode; so there's not much more I can think of to add.

For example, set the automation mode to 'Write', click play, click plug-ins or EQ and play with some settings; Reaper will automatically add an envelope for each paramter changed.

I did notice that automation of sends doesn't work. Not sure why.
Attached Files
File Type: zip reaper_alphatrack.zip (73.7 KB, 192 views)
Old 10-02-2010, 05:13 AM   #108
RuairiAU

No more updates tonight, my partners water just broke.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #109
RuairiAU

ver:0.26
Track selection in reaper now syncs with AlphaTrack
Track names now update in realtime
All LEDs now turn off when Reaper is shutdown.
Attached Files
File Type: zip reaper_alphatrack.zip (73.8 KB, 199 views)
Old 10-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #110
bblue

I've had an Alphatrack for some time but quit using it with Protools due to instability and odd behavior.

I just tried it with Reaper and the .24 PR/RuairiAU drivers and it seems to work quite well and with predictability. Great work guys!

Is there a page of complete or updated functions somewhere? I didn't find any or references in this thread.

--Bill
bblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:37 AM   #111
RuairiAU

Hi Bill. I don't think there is any documentation what so ever. I didn't know about some features until I read the code, like the flip page for the EQ that allows you to quickly choose the bands with the function keys; that's just awesome.
One feature I'd like to add is a flip page for the plug in screen. This screen would only show fx parameters displayed on the track, showing three at a time and can be paged with the function keys. I don't know if my c++ skills are up to the task, but I'll give it a shot.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #112
RuairiAU

Ver:0.27
Bugfix: I had to roll back the change for the live update of params to the track as it spams the undo history with gibberish. I've patched it to update only one you let go of the rotor, it's not ideal, but it's better than it was.

I've also made the Plug-in section a bit more friendly. The left rotor now cycles through the params, the middle adjusts. Also, the adjustment display is now touch sensitive, it will revert back to param display once you let go of the middle rotor.

Lastly, I've adjusted the fine tuning of plug-in params (added in ver:0.24) to be relative to the min max values of the param (basically its 100th that of the coarse adjustment).
Attached Files
File Type: zip reaper_alphatrack.zip (73.7 KB, 194 views)
Old 10-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #113
lawrs

Great job RuairiAU! Thanks for continuing on this project!

I was wondering if it's possible when in FLIP mode, if user selects PLUG-IN button, the fader changes to control fx parameters, and when SEND button is engaged, fader changes to control SENDS. Using rotary knobs to write automation can be abit difficult sometimes.

Once again, thank you for putting time into this RuairiAU.

Btw, how goes the delivery?

Quote:
No more updates tonight, my partners water just broke.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:40 AM   #114
bblue

Hi RuairiAU,

Somewhere quite a while back I located a PDF called REAPER by Cockos and Alphatrack. I'm assuming it was for the original driver, though the one that comes with Reaper now is reaper_csurf.dll which seems to be an early one of Peter's. The recent versions of yours appear to be the closest to this documentation in function.

Where it differs on my system:

-No notion of left/right tap on the finger bar.
-Shift-in and out select the correct out point, but in is always at session 0.00.
-single press on FF and REW do not advance forwards or backwards one beat, but any pressing of them will FF or REW as long as you hold them down. On my system that is FF and REW with SCRUB.

The one thing I miss in this new driver compared to what ships w/Reaper is the middle encoder being able to set markers and move forward and back by markers. I guess it could be emulated with proper function key defs, though.

Still, it's great to have the functionality we now have! Thanks again, guys.

--Bill
Attached Files
File Type: zip REAPER_and_AlphaTrack.zip (177.4 KB, 750 views)
bblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:20 AM   #115
RuairiAU

ver: 0.28
Sends and FX params now update on screen in real time (without spamming the undo history)
Shift + Stop = clears selection points
Shift + Rec = toggle recording mode
A few bug fixes too.

@lawrs
I had a go at swapping the fader during flip mode, but I ran into difficulties logarithmic/linear scales. I don't know (yet) how to tell the difference when querying the parameters.
Oh, btw, its was a girl. She was born on Sat night at 10:40pm, literally 2 hours after I posted the last build lol.

@Bill
Tapping the slider aint supported yet
Shift in /out does work - I've just tried it.
The Fwd/Rew is a mystery to me. It seems jump seems random when clicking.
The marker button does work

I have a feeling you've not set this up correctly.
Attached Files
File Type: zip reaper_alphatrack.zip (73.8 KB, 196 views)
Old 10-04-2010, 05:37 AM   #116
NandyC

Hello, this is my first post! I recently bought reaper (decided to buy it after an hour of using the demo) and it is my favourite piece of software! Thank you to everyone for making this...

Thank you also to peterrabbit and RuairiAU for the alphatrack plugin. I love the alphatrack.

I just wanted to mention that I had noticed a bug since version 0.26 of the plugin; if you select more than one track (control click or shift click) in the mixer, reaper crashes. Version 0.25 is fine, and works perfectly here. I don't know if this can be reproduced, but thought I would mention it. This happens with empty tracks with nothing else running.

Many thanks,
Nandy.
NandyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:55 AM   #117
RuairiAU

ver:0.29
Fixed bug where crash ocurred when multiple tracks are selected. This was caused by the Track sync code added in ver 0.26, this has been disabled until I can come up with a better way.

@NandyC
Thanks for the testing feedback. I'm a big fan of the AlphaTrack too, I used it a lot with Sonar and I'd like to get it to the same quality.
Attached Files
File Type: zip reaper_alphatrack.zip (27.8 KB, 204 views)
Old 10-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #118
NandyC

Hi RuairiAU...
wow that was quick!

I tried ver 0.29, but it says "This application has failed to start because MSVCR100D.dll was not found" when I start reaper.

ver 0.25 is still working perfectly though.

All the best,
Nandy.
NandyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #119
RuairiAU

Try that and let me know if it works.
Attached Files
File Type: zip reaper_alphatrack.zip (73.8 KB, 208 views)
Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #120
lawrs

Quote:
ver: 0.28

@lawrs
I had a go at swapping the fader during flip mode, but I ran into difficulties logarithmic/linear scales. I don't know (yet) how to tell the difference when querying the parameters.
Oh, btw, its was a girl. She was born on Sat night at 10:40pm, literally 2 hours after I posted the last build lol.
Congrats mate. Its a wonderful road ahead.