Old 10-03-2019, 06:01 PM   #1
ringing phone
Human being with feelings

Default Tracking headphone with straight cable

If you needed a tracking headphone with a straight cable, which one would you get?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2019, 06:35 PM   #2
foxAsteria

I use AKG K240 but they're loose so I have to tie a bandana to keep them on my head and they get pretty sweaty.

Those earbuds with the piece that wraps around the top of your ear can work well because they stay on and don't make you sweat, but if you're a very loud drummer, they may not.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:42 AM   #3
Bazzbass

every decent set of headphones has a straight cable. AKG, Sennheiser are the two brands in my studio, some cheap, some not.
It all depends on your budget, they all have straight cables.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:33 AM   #4
zeekat

My Audio Technicas M50x came with a set of replacable cables, one of them is straight 3 meters. Everything with a nice locking plugs, very handy. Lower models probably have those too.

(coiled cable looks cooler though)
Old 10-04-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

I was pleasantly surprised by the CAD MH310 for tracking phones. They get decently loud and offer pretty good isolation. I pretty regularly stand right next to raging amplifiers and manage to hear my backing tracks well enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Those earbuds with the piece that wraps around the top of your ear can work well because they stay on and don't make you sweat, but if you're a very loud drummer, they may not.
If you can find a pair that fit comfortably and seal well, this is almost the ideal option except that the cables are rarely long enough or sturdy enough and if they were, you wouldn’t want it tugging on your ears like that. I’ve been using an FM transmitter and some cheap little pocket radio receivers (a set bundled for tour groups) that you can plug decent buds or even regular cans into. It’s a little noisy in my room, but soooo worth it. But if the earbuds themselves don’t isolate well enough for you, put headphones or better yet shooters/construction muffs on over them.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:58 PM   #6
ringing phone

Thanks.

Most importantly they need to be quite flat. I'm a one man operation. I need to be able to tune amps, vocals and acoustic guitars etc with at least some sense of trust in the tracking headphones. I want to avoid hype in too many frequency areas.

The Audio Technica ath m50's are so bass heavy I'm surprised they get so much press.

I find the Senn hd280 (which don't have a straight cable) too boxy.

I would get the Beyer dt770's if they had a straight cable....as I am already aware of the Beyer sound...the high boost etc
Old 10-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #7
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringing phone View Post
The Audio Technica ath m50's are so bass heavy I'm surprised they get so much press.
I've owned these for years. I wouldn't describe them as bass heavy, more like bass articulate. I can actually hear down into the range like on a full monitor system. There is a headroom issue if you drive them too hard around 80hz where they'll resonate so they don't make for great tracking headphones for raw bass guitar in my experience. But a sweet response for everything else.

Flat curve headphones aren't actually the best choice for tracking imo because you want to hear something closer to the end result that sounds 'real'. Having a tilt towards the low mids like the M50s (not m50x) is great for raw audio so you can clearly hear the 1st and 2nd harmonic balance in a sound that is so crucial to mic placement. If you have perfectly flat headphones, while great for listening to master mixes, raw audio doesn't fit that curve well.

100% agree on the HD280 boxiness. I thought the pair I tried in the store were broken.

By the way you can buy straight cables for most of these headphones directly from China.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:16 AM   #8
ringing phone

Thanks. I'll just get by with the tracking phones I have already:

Senn hd280 - seem boxy to me...but highly regarded as trackers
AT ath m50 - seem bassy to me...but the internet went into meltdown about them so, ok.
At ath m70x - are hated for their 'harshness' (they are pretty flat up to 2k) but I like 'em...though they don't isolate sooooo good.
Some Yamaha hph xxxx - can't recall the make - but they are alright

That's enough money in enough headphones. I should just learn to use what I've got.

The hunt has been called off.

Thanks all!